[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving Jews By Iranian Diplomats In Paris, Rome & Karchi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> The Voice of Ambassador Hashem Hakimi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Saving Jews By Iranian Diplomats In Paris, Rome & Karchi Reply with quote

ActivistChat wrote:

Dear Honorable Ambassador Hakimi,

Mr. Amil Imani shared the following information:

Must Watch Video Zero Degree Turn, Iranian drama Show - Part 1

Please read this article: http://justworldnews.org/archives/002636.html

VOA Interview with Farhad Sepahbody: January 03, 2007 My uncle Abdol Hossein Sardari Saved many Jewish families during World War II in Paris (Farsi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58495qgIYvw

As one of the most senior diplomat, what do you know about the Iranian diplomat in Paris during WWII, Mr. Abdol Hussein Sardari, who "saved over a thousand European Jews by forging Iranian passports and claiming they belonged to an Iranian tribe.
If you are familiar with the case, would you please educate us?
Regards,
Cyrus

Honorable Ambassador Hakimi wrote:

Dear Cyrus,

Attached please find my writing under the title of *Schindler was not alone* in Persian.
This is the response to your question.
Sorry that it is in Persian, since I though that our sisters & brothers in Iran should know it more than the Iranian abroad.
Also I thought that I could not do the justice to the subject if it is not in Persian language.
Hope this will throw some lights on the subject.
If you deem it proper, please send my writing to your list.
You are the only one who is getting it.
http://activistchat.com/AmbassHakimiMemoryOfSavingJews.doc

Best wishes & regards,

Hashem

Fereydoun Hoveyda wrote:

Saving Jews

The Iranian "Schindler List"

By Fereydoun Hoveyda
July 9, 1999
The Iranian
http://www.iranian.com/History/1999/July/Jews/index.html

Amid all the distressing news about possible extremist motives behind the arrest of 13 Jews in Iran, one wonders why some 30,000 Jews have chosen to remain in Iran despite the often hostile religious fervor of the post-revolutionary era. The fact is that prejudice and discrimination towards Jews has been relatively mild and Iranian Jews have strong nationalist feelings. The following is not an example of just one man's kindness towards Jews, but an example of the close bond between Iranians in general, even under very dangerous circumstances. Thanks to Farhad Sepahbody for forwarding this piece. Also see a report on documents that shed new light. -- Editor

In June 1940, embassies were transfered from Paris to Vichy which had become the capital of the new French Government. In each embassy residence in Paris a caretaker was left behind.

My uncle Abdol Hossein Sardari Qajar, my mother's youngest brother, pictured left, who was in charge of consular affairs remained in the former French capital, now occupied by German Nazi military forces.

At that unfortunate time many Iranian Jewish families lived in Paris. My uncle who liked to entertain, established close contacts with the German authorities and at the outset made it clear to them that Iranian jews were Iranians since the time of Cyrus the Great and therefore fell under the protection of Iranian laws like any other Iranian.

A letter was sent to my uncle by the German ambassador in Paris assuring him that no Iranian citizen would ever be harmed. As a result, the Iranian jews of Paris were not subjected to the nazi measures against the Jews.

When the round up of Jews began in 1942, and news about the "final solution" began to spread, the head of the Iranian Jewish community, contacted my uncle about his French co-religionists who were in danger of being sent to concentration camps.

My uncle had in his office a good supply of blank Persian passports. He took upon himself to also issue them to non-Iranian Jews who were facing deportation. As Allied forces invaded Iran, our ambassador in Vichy left and all communications with Tehran was cut.

Referring to the humanitarian attitude of Cyrus the Great who had freed in 500 BC the Jews held captive in Babylon, he had no doubt that the Shah and the Iranian government would confirm his decision after the war.

I was a diplomat in Paris during 1948 when the Iranian Jewish community (with its newly added "citizens') visited my uncle and offered him a silver plater signed by their leaders, as a token of their deep appreciation and gratitude.

Sardari had also saved Mr. Petrossian -- a well-known importer of caviar who had contacts with the French resistance -- from the Gestapo .

My uncle later became charge d'affaires in Brussels. ln the mid-fifties he joined the National Iranian Oil Company and passed away in London in 1981.

Author

Fereydoun Hoveyda served as Iran's ambassador to the U.N. before the fall of the Pahlavi dynasty. He wrote this piece in December 1997 for Farhad Sepahbody's web site on the Qajars.

Sardari wrote:

Our Maternal Uncle Abdol-Hossein Sardari Qajarand "Sardari's Schindler List"
http://users.sedona.net/~sepa/sardarij.html

In June 1940, embassies were transfered from Paris to Vichy which had become the capital of the new French Government. Nevertheless in each embassy residence in Paris a caretaker was left behind. Uncle Abdol Hossein Sardari, my mother's youngest brother, pictured left, who was in charge of consular affairs remained in the former French capital, now occupied by German Nazi military forces.
At that unfortunate time many Iranian Jewish families lived in Paris. My uncle who liked to entertain, established close contacts with the German authorities and at the outset made it clear to them that Iranian Jews were Iranians since the time of Cyrus the Great and therefore fell under the protection of Iranian laws like any other Iranian. He added that it was the reason why religion was not mentioned in Iranian passports. A letter was sent to my uncle by the German ambassador in Paris assuring him that no Iranian citizen would ever be harmed. As a result, the Iranian Jews of Paris were not subjected to the special nazi measures against the Jews.

When in 1942 round ups of Jews started, and news regarding the "final solution" began to spread, the head of the Iranian Jewish community, contacted my uncle about his french co-religionists who were in danger of being sent to concentration camps. My uncle had in his office had a good supply of blank Persian passports. He took upon himself to also issue them to non-Iranian Jews who were facing deportation. As Allied forces invaded Iran, our ambassador in Vichy ( Anoshiravan Sepahbody whose spouse was Sardari's brother) departed leaving Sardari in care of Iranian interests in Paris and all communications with Tehran cut. Referring to the humanitarian attitude of Cyrus the Great who had freed in 500 BC the Jews held captive in Babylon, Sardari had no doubt that the Shah and the Iranian government would confirm his decision after the war.

I was a diplomat in Paris during 1948 when the Iranian Jewish community (with its newly added "citizens') visited my uncle and offered him a silver plater signed by their leaders, as a token of their deep appreciation and gratitude. Sardari had also saved in extremis from the Gestapo Mr. Petrossian a well-known importer of caviar who had contacts with the French resistance.

My uncle later became chargé d'affaires in Brussels. ln the mid-fifties he joined the National Iranian Oil Company and passed away in London in 1981.

Written by Fereydoun Hoveyda - New York December 1997
This 1946 Sardari photo above left is by my cousin Farhad Sepahbody

UPDATES:
The Remembrance Plaque for uncle Sardari
Sardari is honored in Los Angeles - April 2004 see PDF document
Listen to Dr. Mokhtari on Sardari at Radio Farda - April 2004 Audio in Persian
The Iranian Times: Saving the Jews in World War II - Abdol Hossein Sardari Qajar
SMCCDI comments on Sardari - April 14, 2004
Sardari Update Los Angeles April 20, 2004

Quote:

Revealing details
... on rescuing Iranian Jews in World War II

http://www.iranian.com/History/2004/March/Sardari/index.html

Five years ago Fereydoun Hoveyda wrote a piece about his uncle, Abdol Hossein Sardari Qajar, who saved many Jews from being sent to Nazi deathcamps [See: "Saving Jews"]. Now a researcher, Fariborz Mokhtari, has found documents which provide much of the details. See Radio Farda's report below, or listen to the audio here.

Amil Imani wrote:

True Iranians have remained friends of the Jews by both belief as well as deeds. During the shameful Hitlerian campaign of exterminating the Jews, for instance, Iranian missions in Europe, notably the one in France, issued Iranian passports to facilitate the flight of French and other European Jews from the claws of Nazis and their gas chambers—the very gas chambers that the true Muslim, disgracing Iranians, Ahmadinejad, denies ever existed.

http://www.amilimani.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=2

YARI NATIONAL GROUP wrote:

Dear All,

Throughout history, the fate of Iranian people and Jewish people has been twined together like a strong rope.

Cyrus the great recognized this fact and the King of kings (As Bible refers to him) was the savior of Israelites in slavery.

It was 3 Magi's (Wisest of the wise Zoraster) from Persian who traveled all the way to Bethlehem, bearing Gold and Frankincense to honor the new born Jesus Christ the king of hearts for eternity.

There is nothing new and surprising about a Persian Diplomat again lending a hand.

It will take much more than bunch of Shameless Mullah's or their puppet Ahmadinejad to destroy our bond that is formed and strengthened during centuries of friendship, honor and respect for each other.

Together, we will overcome this new Mini Hitler and the shame of it all will be on these Godless Mullah's ruling our nation.

Iran has always been the land of caring and passionate. Until Mullah's came to destroy, use and abusing it.

STRENGHT THROUGH UNITY

YARI NATIONAL GROUP
UNITED WE STAND. DIVIDED WE FALL

http://activistchat.com/AmbassHakimiMemoryOfSavingJews.doc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> The Voice of Ambassador Hashem Hakimi All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: