[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Global Warming: Point of No Return?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Petitions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: FOX News Poll: Most Americans Believe in Global Warming Reply with quote

FOX News Poll: Most Americans Believe in Global Warming
Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Source:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250571,00.html
By Dana Rohinsky

E-MAIL STORY PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
NEW YORK — Most Americans believe in global warming, according to the latest FOX News poll, and a majority thinks it is caused at least in part by human behavior, though many believe normal climate patterns are a factor.

The national poll, conducted before the release of the United Nations’ report on climate change last week, finds that fully 82 percent of Americans say they believe in global warming, up from 77 percent in October 2005, while 10 percent disagree and 8 percent are unsure.

Democrats (91 percent) and independents (84 percent) are much more likely to say global warming exists than Republicans (72 percent), although sizable majorities of all demographic groups are in agreement.

Click here to see full results of the poll.

When those who believe in global warming are asked what they think is the main cause of the situation, there is widespread belief that human behavior — such as driving and burning too much fossil fuel like coal and oil — is a contributor to the problem. Four in ten Americans say people are to blame outright (41 percent) and another 38 percent think it is a combination of human action and normal climate patterns. Few believe that global warming is an entirely natural occurrence (14 percent).

Tornado Outbreak Review, Storm Stats
Monday, May 07, 2007
http://wwwa.accuweather.com/news-blogs.asp?partner=chicagosuntimes&blog=community
UPDATE: The NWS in Dodge City, Kansas says: "The Greensburg Tornado Is Rated EF-5... The First "5" Rating on the new Enhanced-Fujita Scale... and the first "5" classification since May 3, 1999 when an F5 tornado ripped through Moore, Oklahoma."
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Ecology Quotes Reply with quote

Ecology Quotes

It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment. ~ Ansel Adams

Let us be good stewards of the Earth we inherited. All of us have to share the Earth's fragile ecosystems and precious resources, and each of us has a role to play in preserving them. If we are to go on living together on this earth, we must all be responsible for it.
~ Kofi Annan

Waste is a tax on the whole people.
~ Albert W. Atwood

"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children."
~ John James Audubon

The American reading his Sunday paper in a state of lazy collapse is perhaps the most perfect symbol of the triumph of quantity over quality.... Whole forests are being ground into pulp daily to minister to our triviality.
~ Irving Babbitt

"The problem of climate change is so large that it can't be solved by voluntary individual responses. It requires an economy-wide solution, i.e. one that limits the total carbon intake of the economy."
~ Peter Barnes

"The major problems in the world are the result of the difference between how nature works and the way people think."
~ Gregory Bateson

"This is a deeply spiritual issue...Do we want to spend more time trying to care for our fellow man or do we want to just pursue more virtual reality? That's the issue before us.. and it's being played out in the world of the environment."
~ Ed Begley, Jr.

"Kids can help the environment by riding a bike. Always wear a helmet of course and stay in the bike lane. Take public transportation with your parents and your friends and see if you like that. That’s a good way to get around. Start a home garden, be energy efficient, turn off the lights and the water. All of those things are very good for the environment and good for your pocketbook. "
~ Ed Begley, Jr.

"I was a Boy Scout, and scouting gave me an appreciation for nature and the outdoors that set the stage for my career as an environmental activist. The other thing would be growing up in Los Angeles-the smog capital of the world for quite a while."
~ Ed Begley, Jr.

The two most abundant forms of power on earth are solar and wind, and they're getting cheaper and cheaper…
~ Ed Begley, Jr.

"I can't imagine a right more basic than the right to breathe clean air. We've debated for years how that might be possible. Now that we know it is, will we have the courage and the conviction to get there?"
~ Ed Begley, Jr.

"The natural world is the larger sacred community to which we belong. To be alienated from this community is to become destitute in all that makes us human. To damage this community is to diminish our own existence."
~ Thomas Berry

"To cherish what remains of the Earth and to foster its renewal is our only legitimate hope of survival."
~ Wendell Berry

We do need a 'new economy,' but one that is founded on thrift and care, on saving and conserving, not on excess and waste. An economy based on waste is inherently and hopelessly violent, and war is its inevitable by-product. We need a peaceable economy."
~ Wendell Berry

"The most unhappy thing about conservation is that it is never permanent. Save a priceless woodland or an irreplaceable mountain today, and tomorrow it is threatened from another quarter."
~ Hal Borland

Are we to regard the world of nature simply as a storehouse to be robbed for the immediate benefit of man? . . . Does man have any responsibility for the preservation of a decent balance in nature, for the preservation of rare species, or even for the indefinite continuance of his race?
~ Kenneth E. Boulding

With laissez-faire and price atomic,
Ecology's Uneconomic,
But with another kind of logic
Economy's Unecologic.
~ Kenneth E. Boulding

"The land is sacred. These words are at the core of your being. The land is our mother, the rivers our blood. Take our land away and we die. That is, the Indian in us dies."
~ Mary Brave Bird

"If we go on as we are, we will destroy in the next century everything that the poets have been singing about for the past two thousand years."
~ Fred Bodsworth

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children."
~ Dietrick Bonhoeffer

There is hope if people will begin to awaken that spiritual part of themselves, that heartfelt knowledge that we are caretakers of this planet.
~ Brooke Medicine Eagle

"The role of the market place is to be an instrument of environmental change and policy making. We are all consumers with a great potential for change. Environmental protection begins at home."
~ Noel Brown, Former Director of the UN Environmental Program

Our children may save us if they are taught to care properly for the planet; but if not, it may be back to the Ice Age or the caves from where we first emerged. Then we'll have to view the universe above from a cold, dark place. No more jet skis, nuclear weapons, plastic crap, broken pay phones, drugs, cars, waffle irons, or television. Come to think of it, that might not be a bad idea.
~ Jimmy Buffet

"We can use our scientific knowledge to improve and beautify the earth, or we can use it to ...poison the air, corrupt the waters, blacken the face of the country, and harass our souls with loud and discordant noises, [or]...we can use it to mitigate or abolish all these things."
~ John Burroughs

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
~ John Burroughs

Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
~ John Burroughs

To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter; to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring - these are some of the rewards of the simple life.
~ John Burroughs

How beautiful the leaves grow old. How full of light and color are their last days.
~ John Burroughs

Oh Beautiful for smoggy skies, insecticided grain, For strip-mined mountain's majesty above the asphalt plain. America, America, man sheds his waste on thee, And hides the pines with billboard signs, from sea to oily sea.
~ George Carlin

Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strengths that will endure as life lasts
~ Rachel Carson

The lasting pleasures of contact with the natural world are not reserved for scientists but are available to anyone who will place himself under the influence of earth, sea and sky and their amazing life.
~ Rachel Carson

For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is now subjected to contact with dangerous chemicals, from the moment of conception until death.
~ Rachel Carson

The most alarming of all man's assaults upon the environment is the contamination of air, earth, rivers, and sea with dangerous and even lethal materials. This pollution is for the most part irrecoverable; the chain of evil it initiates not only in the world that must support life but in living tissues is for the most part irreversible. In this now universal contamination of the environment, chemicals are the sinister and little-recognized partners of radiation in changing the very nature of the world--the very nature of its life.
~ Rachel Carson

"The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities of the universe, the less taste we shall have for destruction."
~ Rachel Carson

Like music and art, love of nature is a common language that can transcend political or social boundaries.
~ Jimmy Carter

"I want to make it clear,if there is ever a conflict (between environmental quality and economic growth), I will go for beauty, clean air, water, and landscape."
~ Jimmy Carter

Energy will be the immediate test of our ability to unite this Nation, and it can also be the standard around which we rally. On the battlefield of energy we can win for our Nation a new confidence, and we can seize control again of our common destiny.
~ Jimmy Carter

Acknowledging the physical realities of our planet does not mean a dismal future of endless sacrifice. In fact, acknowledging these realities is the first step in dealing with them. We can meet the resource problems of the world -- water, food, minerals, farmlands, forests, overpopulation, pollution -- if we tackle them with courage and foresight.
~ Jimmy Carter

Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God.
~ George Washington Carver

Look about you. Take hold of the things that are here. Let them talk to you. You learn to talk to them.

Nothing is more beautiful than the loveliness of the woods before sunrise.

Man has been endowed with reason, with the power to create, so that he can add to what he's been given. But up to now he hasn't been a creator, only a destroyer. Forests keep disappearing, rivers dry up, wild life's become extinct, the climate's ruined and the land grows poorer and uglier every day.
~ Anton Chekhov

"I have never believed we had to choose between either a clean and safe environment or a growing economy. Protecting the health and safety of all Americans doesn’t have to come at the expense of our economy’s bottom line. And creating thriving companies and new jobs doesn’t have to come at the expense of the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat, or the natural landscape in which we live. We can, and indeed must, have both."
~ Bill Clinton

"Most of us have become Ecozombies, desensitized, environmental deadheads. On average, society conditions us to spend over 95% of our time and 99.9% of our thinking disconnected from nature. Nature's extreme absence in our lives leaves us abandoned and wanting. We feel we never have enough. We greedily, destructively, consume and, can't stop. Nature's loss in our psyche produces a hurt, hungering, void within us that bullies us into our dilemmas."
~ Michael J. Cohen

As we gain satisfaction from artificial substitutes for nature we forget that there is no known substitute for Nature, the real thing and its eons of intelligent, life supportive, experience. Each substitute we create falls short of nature's balanced perfection, thus producing our pollution, garbage and relationship conflicts."
~ Michael J. Cohen

"Everything is connected to everything else. Everything must go somewhere. Nature knows best. There is no such thing as a free lunch. If you don't put something in the ecology, it's not there."
~ Barry Commoner

"The air, the water and the ground are free gifts to man and no one has the power to portion them out in parcels. Man must drink and breathe and walk and therefore each man has a right to his share of each."
~ James Fennimore Cooper

" There are no boundaries in the real Planet Earth. No United States, no Soviet Union, no China, no Taiwan.... Rivers flow unimpeded across the swaths of continents. The persistent tides -- the pulse of the sea -- do not discriminate; they push against all the varied shores on Earth."
~ Jacques Cousteau

"Is it too late to prevent us from self-destructing? No, for we have the capacity to design our own future, to take a lesson from living things around us and bring our values and actions in line with ecological necessity. But we must first realize that ecological and social and economic issues are all deeply intertwined. There can be no solution to one without a solution to the others."
~ Jean-Michel Cousteau

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money can not be eaten.
~ Cree Indian Prophecy

"We go to sanctuaries to remember the things we hold most dear, the things we cherish and love. And then--the great challenge--we return home seeking to enact this wisdom as best we can in our daily lives."
~ William Cronon

"It is our collective and individual responsibility to protect and nurture the global family, to support its weaker members and to preserve and tend to the environment in which we all live."
~ Dalai Lama

"There is something fundamentally wrong with treating the earth as if it were a business in liquidation."
~ Herman Daly

"...we all have an obligation as citizens of this earth to leave the world a healthier, cleaner, and better place for our children and future generations.”
~ Blythe Danner

“Can we really be so uncaring as a country to refuse to accept our responsibility for global warming when the United States is the largest contributor to this problem? It breaks my heart to read everyday of another environmental law that is being chipped away, eroded by this Administration, and we’re not being provided with incentives by Bush to cut back on our shameful waste of energy. My husband, Bruce, wrote in one PSA that during World War II the government asked everyone to make sacrifices for the common good. We must demand this of our Administration today for we all have an obligation as citizens of this earth to leave the world a healthier, cleaner, and better place for our children and future generations.”
~ Blythe Danner

I PLEDGE to live, work and act in a loving, respectful way towards this Earth that I call home, and towards all who live upon it, every insect, animal, fish, bird, plant, human and tree....
~ Guy Dauncey

Today's world is one in which the age-old risks of humankind - the drought, floods, communicable diseases - are less of a problem than ever before. They have been replaced by risks of humanity's own making - the unintended side-effects of beneficial technologies and the intended effects of the technologies of war. Society must hope that the world's ability to assess and manage risks will keep pace with its ability to create them.
~ J. Clarence Davies

"Love the earth as you would love yourself."
~ John Denver

"No one person has to do it all but if each one of us follow our heart and our own inclinations we will find the small things that we can do to create a sustainable future and a healthy environment."
~ John Denver

We must set an example now and move environmentalism from being the philosophy of a passionate minority ... to a way of life that automatically integrates ecology into governmental policy and normal living standards.
~ Leonardo DiCaprio

We've been given this gift, our planet, and we've found no other place in the universe that we can inhabit. I want to do something to create radical change to help save it. It's our responsibility.
~ Leonardo DiCaprio

As we progress into the twenty-first century, anyone who considers themselves a realist will have to make the environment a top priority.
~ Leonardo DiCaprio

Our planet's alarm is going off, and it is time to wake up and take action!
~ Leonardo DiCaprio

Our oil-based society depends on non-renewable resources. It requires relentless probing into vast reaches of pristine land, sacrificing vital bioregions, and irreplaceable cultures. The possibility of catastrophic climate change is substantially increased by the 40 million barrels of oil burned every day by vehicles. We must all move shoulder to shoulder in a unified front to show this administration that the true majority of people are willing to vote for a cleaner environment and won't back down.
~ Leonardo DiCaprio

I urge individuals around the world to stand up, and ask local leaders, if they haven't already, to pledge to purchase cleaner cars, build green facilities, and buy green power like wind or solar energy. Our actions may determine if we become a casualty in the war for a habitable planet for generations to come.
~ Leonardo DiCaprio

When I was very young, biology, the diversity of life, was one of my main interests. I know there's this image people have that I'm this spoiled, cocky punk of an actor. Honestly, that's not who I am. I really care that so many species have been wiped out, like genocide of entire races. I believe in the divine right of all species to survive on this planet. So I decided I want to be active as an environmentalist. I learned. I asked experts. I got active.
~ Leonardo DiCaprio

"The use of plant oil as fuel may seem insignificant today. But such products can in time become just as important as kerosene and these coal-tar-products of today."
~ Rudolf Diesel, inventor of the diesel engine, which originally ran on peanut oil.

"In the end, we conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught."
~ Baba Dioum, Senegalese poet

"The most unhappy thing about conservation is that it is never permanent. If we save a priceless woodland today, it is threatened from another quarter tomorrow."
~ Marjory Stoneman Douglas

"I hope to be remembered as someone who made the earth a little more beautiful."
~ Justice William O. Douglas

I realized that Eastern thought had somewhat more compassion for all living things. Man was a form of life that in another reincarnation might possibly be a horsefly or a bird of paradise or a deer. So a man of such a faith, looking at animals, might be looking at old friends or ancestors. In the East the wilderness has no evil connotation; it is thought of as an expression of the unity and harmony of the universe.

"The concept of the public welfare is broad and inclusive ... the values it represents are spiritual as well as physical, aesthetic as well as monetary. It is within the power of the legislature to determine that the community should be beautiful as well as healthy, spacious as well as clean, well balanced as well as carefully patroled."

"Man shapes himself through decisions that shape his environment."
~ René Dubos

It is not man the ecological crisis threatens to destroy but the quality of human life.
~ René Dubos

"The belief that we can manage the Earth and improve on Nature is probably the ultimate expression of human conceit, but it has deep roots in the past and is almost universal."
~ René Dubos

Humanity, let us say, is like people packed in a automobile which is traveling downhill without lights at a terrific speed and driven by a four-year-old child. The signposts along the way are all marked "progress."
~ Lord Dunsany

"The great ecosystems are like complex tapestries - a million complicated threads, interwoven, make up the whole picture. Nature can cope with small rents in the fabric; it can even, after a time, cope with major disasters like floods, fires, and earthquakes. What nature cannot cope with is the steady undermining of its fabric by the activities of man."
~ Gerald Durrell

“If we have a hope of really understanding our place in nature and of carving out a place for ourselves that is sustainable, it’s primarily because of the new level of communication. It used to be, ‘What you don’t have in your mind, you have on your shelf.’ But now we have the Web.”
~ Sylvia Earle

We are all together in this, we are all together in this single living ecosystem called planet earth. As we learn how we fit into the greater scheme of things, and begin to understand how the system works, we can plan ahead, we can use the resources responsibly, to show some respect for this inheritance that goes back 4.6 billion years.
~ Sylvia Earle

We are in trouble now, unless we deliberately take actions to take care of the sea, and make sure these systems continue to operate as they have for millions of years.
~ Sylvia Earle

"I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait 'til oil and coal run out before we tackle that."
~ Thomas Edison (1847–1931)

"Since natural resources are finite, increased consumption must inevitably lead to depletion and scarcity."
~ Paul Ehrlich

A human being is part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest - a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole [of] nature in its beauty.
~ Albert Einstein

"The use of sea and air is common to all; neither can a title to the ocean belong to any people or private persons, forasmuch as neither nature nor public use and custom permit any possession therof."
~ Elizabeth I of England

"To speak truly, few adult persons can see nature. Most persons do not see the sun. At least they have a very superficial seeing. The sun illuminates only the eye of the man, but shines into the eye and heart of the child. The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are still truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the presence of nature, a wild delight runs through the man, in spite of real sorrows."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The earth will continue to regenerate its life sources only as long as we and all the peoples of the world do our part to conserve its natural resources. It is a responsibility which every human being shares. Through voluntary action, each of us can join in building a productive land in harmony with nature."
~ Gerald Ford

"When we protect the places where the processes of life can flourish, we strengthen not only the future of medicine, agriculture and industry, but also the essential conditions for peace and prosperity."
~ Harrison Ford

"Our health relies entirely on the vitality of our fellow species on Earth."
~ Harrison Ford

Zoos are becoming facsimiles - or perhaps caricatures - of how animals once were in their natural habitat. If the right policies toward nature were pursued, we would need no zoos at all.
~ Michael Fox

Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value.
~ R. Buckminster Fuller

We are not going to be able to operate our Spaceship Earth successfully nor for much longer unless we see it as a whole spaceship and our fate as common. It has to be everybody or nobody.
~ R. Buckminster Fuller

There's enough on this planet for everyone's needs but not for everyone's greed.
~ Mohandas Gandhi

"The main lesson to be learned from the Love Canal crisis is that in order to protect public health from chemical contamination, there needs to be a massive outcry--a choir of voices--by the American people demanding change."
~ Lois Gibbs

"The citizens of Love Canal provided an example of how a blue-collar community with few resources can win against great odds (a multi-billion-dollar international corporation and an unresponsive government), using the power of the people in our democratic system."
~ Lois Gibbs

"It will take a massive effort to move society from corporate domination, in which industry's rights to pollute and damage health and the environment supersede the public's right to live, work, and play in safety. This is a political fight. The science is already there, showing that people's health is at risk. To win, we will need to keep building the movement, networking with one another, planning, strategizing, and moving forward. Our children's futures, and those of their unborn children, are at stake."
~ Lois Gibbs

You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.
~ Jane Goodall

"We need a new environmental consciousness on a global basis. To do this, we need to educate people."
~ Mikhail Gorbachev

"The key.. will be a new public awareness of how serious is the threat to the global environment. Those who have a vested interest in the status quo will probably continue to be able to stifle any meaningful change until enough citizens.. are willing to speak out."
~ Al Gore

The struggle to save the global environment is in one way much more difficult than the struggle to vanquish Hitler, for this time the war is with ourselves. We are the enemy, just as we have only ourselves as allies.
~ Al Gore

"We cannot win this battle to save species and environments without forging an emotional bond between ourselves and nature as well - for we will not fight to save what we do not love."
~ Stephen Jay Gould

"The future belongs to those who understand that doing more with less is compassionate, prosperous, and enduring, and thus more intelligent, even competitive."
~ Paul Hawken

"I feel more confident than ever that the power to save the planet rests with the individual consumer."
~ Denis Hayes

"The sunshine that strikes American roads each year contains more energy than all the fossil fuels used by the entire world."
~ Denis Hayes

"An acre of windy prairie could produce between $4,000 and 10,000 worth of electricity per year – which is far more than the value of the land’s crop of corn or wheat."
~ Denis Hayes

"America has the technology and resources to meet all its energy needs while safeguarding the earth's climate. The urgent question now is, 'Do we have the will?' At least one city does, and I'm proud to live in it."
~ Denis Hayes

"Listen up, you couch potatoes: each recycled beer can saves enough electricity to run a television for three hours."
~ Denis Hayes

We can dream together a dream of a better world, an ever-renewing, organic-based earth-community. I believe we can achieve a large part of it in our lifetime.
~ Randy Hayes

Economic policy turns out to be the most important environmental policy.
~ Randy Hayes

I think our main foreign policy is economic policy but to think that economic policy is not environmental policy is to sort of, miss the point. You know you can't have economic development without impact on the biosphere.
~ Randy Hayes

"I wake up in the morning asking myself what can I do today, how can I help the world today."
-- Julia Butterfly Hill

"Where the quality of life goes down for the environment, the quality of life goes down for humans."
~ George Holland

"The ecological crisis is doing what no other crisis in history has ever done - challenging us to a realization of a new humanity."
~ Jean Houston

"Modern man no longer regards Nature as in any sense divine and feels perfectly free to behave toward her as an overweening conqueror and tyrant."
~ Aldous Huxley
"While the farmer holds the title to the land, actually, it belongs to all the people because civilization itself rests upon the soil."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"The American people have a right to air that they and their children can breathe without fear."
~ Lyndon Johnson

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it."
~ President Lyndon B. Johnson

"No one has the right to use America's rivers and America's Waterways, that belong to all the people. as a sewer. The banks of a river may belong to one man or one industry or one State, but the waters which flow between the banks should belong to all the people."
~ Lyndon B. Johnson

We must not be forced to explore the universe in search of a new home because we have made the Earth inhospitable, even uninhabitable. For if we do not solve the environmental and related social problems that beset us on Earth - pollution, toxic contamination, resource depletion, prejudice, poverty, hunger - those problems will surely accompany us to other worlds.
~ Donald G. Kaufman and Cecilia M. Franz

"With our technologies--ones of incalcuable power: earth-restoring, planet preserving--we can rediscover an intimacy, a mutuality with the natural world, that is not primitive (though based in part on fear), but knowing. It might even be possible to relearn a life of awe. And inhabit the landscape without violation. With the least violation."
~ Janet Kauffman

"Solar is cost effective right now. When you consider the cost to our health from air pollution, solar is just as competitive as any other energy source."
~ Thomas P. Kay

"The Supreme Reality of Our Time is...the Vulnerability of our Planet"
~ John F. Kennedy

"It is our task in our time and in our generation, to hand down undiminished to those who come after us, as was handed down to us by those who went before, the natural wealth and beauty which is ours."
~ John F. Kennedy

"We in Government have begun to recognize the critical work which must be done at all levels—local, State and Federal—in ending the pollution of our waters."
~ Robert F. Kennedy

"We protect nature not for nature's sake but for our own sake because it's the infrastructure of our communities..."
~ Robert Kennedy, Jr.

"What we are fighting for is not just the fishes and the birds. We protect nature not for nature's sake but for our own sake because it's the infrastructure of our communities, and if we want to meet the obligations of our civilization and our culture which are to create communities for our children that provide them with the same opportunities for dignity and enrichment as the communities that our parents gave us, we've got to start by protecting that infrastructure; the air that we breathe, the water that we drink, the landscapes that enrich us. We're not protecting nature for nature's sake. We're protecting it because it enriches us, yes, it enriches our economy and we ignore that at our peril. But it is also enriching us aesthetically, recreationally, culturally, historically and spiritually. Human beings have other appetites besides money. And if we don't feed them, we're not going to grow up…we're not going to become the kind of beings that our creator intended us to become."
~ Robert Kennedy, Jr.

The environment is the most important, the most fundamental, civil-rights issue.... Four out of every five toxic-waste dumps in America is in a black neighborhood.
~ Robert Kennedy, Jr.

I don't even consider myself an environmentalist anymore. I'm a free-marketer. I go out into the marketplace and I catch the polluters who are cheating the free market...
~ Robert Kennedy, Jr.

We are living in a science-fiction nightmare where children are gasping for breath on bad-air days because somebody gave money to a politician. And my children and the kids of millions of other Americans can no longer go fishing and eat their catch because somebody gave money to a politician.
~ Robert Kennedy, Jr.

Waste not the smallest thing created, for grains of sand make mountains, and atomies infinity.
~ E. Knight

"If people destroy something replaceable made by mankind, they are called vandals; if they destroy something irreplaceable made by God, they are called developers."
~ Joseph Wood Krutch

"In the area of species protection, we should concern ourselves with what is right as opposed to what might be easier, or popular in the short term."
~ Richard Leakey

That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.
~ Aldo Leopold

"Having to squeeze the last drop of utility out of the land has the same desperate finality as having to chop up the furniture to keep warm."
~ Aldo Leopold

"Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land."
~ Aldo Leopold

"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

"Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher 'standard of living' is worth its cost in things natural, wild, and free. For us of the minority, the opportunity to see geese is more important than television, and the chance to find a pasque-flower is a right as inalienable as free speech."
~ Aldo Leopold

"All ethics so far evolved rest upon a single premise: that the individual is a member of a community of interdependent parts. . . . The land ethic simply enlarges the boundaries of the community to include soils, waters, plants, and animals, or collectively: the land."
~ Aldo Leopold

We have always had reluctance to see a tract of land which is empty of men as anything but a void. The "waste howling wilderness" of Deuteronomy is typical. The Oxford Dictionary defines wilderness as wild or uncultivated land which is occupied "only" by wild animals. Places not used by us are "wastes." Areas not occupied by us are "desolate." Could the desolation be in the soul of man?
~ John A. Livingston

"Rely on renewable energy flows that are always there whether we use them or not, such as, sun, wind and vegetation: on energy income, not depletable energy capital."
~ Amory Lovins

"The environment isn't over here. The environment isn't over there. You are the environment."
~ Chief Oren Lyons

"If you have a clean environment, you will have a healthy atmosphere. This will make you happy and your happiness will bring joy to your parents and it will affect the community, too. Then there will be peace of mind to one and all."
~ Chief Oren Lyons

We can still alter our course. It is NOT too late. We still have options. We need the courage to change our values to the regeneration of our families, the life that surrounds us.
~ Chief Oren Lyons

"The young generation can influence their elders and can make them understand the environmental problems that are faced by us today. The youth can make them see that our environment is deteriorating day by day."
~ Chief Oren Lyons

"If the world is to be healed through human efforts, I am convinced it will be by ordinary people, people whose love for this life is even greater than their fear. People who can open to the web of life that called us into being".
~ Joanna Macy

"Every one of us can make a contribution. And quite often we are looking for the big things and forget that, wherever we are, we can make a contribution. Sometimes I tell myself, I may only be planting a tree here, but just imagine what's happening if there are billions of people out there doing something. Just imagine the power of what we can do."
~ Wangari Maathai

"It is wrong to suppose the world was created primarily to serve mankind's purposes and pleasures. A conviction about having dominion over land and water and living things breeds ideas of unwarranted self importance. It is a sobering thought that man's place in Nature's scheme is, after all, a small one."
~ J. Grant MacEwan

"Out of all those millions and millions of planets floating around there in space, this is our planet, this is our little one, so we just got to be aware of it and take care of it."
~ Paul McCartney

"Let us pledge our lives and fortunes to aid the great task of Earth's rejuvenation, and with confidence and faith, each do our part as a trustee of Earth to take charge and take care of our planet."
~ John McConnell,
the Founder of Earth Day

"There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew."
~ Marshall McLuhan

EARTH DAY reminds the people of the world of the need for continuing care which is vital to Earth’s safety.
~ Margaret Mead

"We won't have a society if we destroy the environment"
~ Margaret Mead

"EARTH DAY uses one of humanity’s great discoveries, the discovery of anniversaries by which, throughout time, human beings have kept their sorrows and their joys, their victories, their revelations and their obligations alive, for re-celebration and re-dedication another year, another decade, another century, another eon. EARTH DAY reminds the people of the world of the need for continuing care which is vital to Earth’s safety. …EARTH DAY draws on astronomical phenomena in a new way; using the vernal equinox, the time when the Sun crosses the equator making night and day of equal length in all parts of theEarth. To this point in the annual calendar, EARTH DAY attaches no local or divisive set of symbols, no statement of the truth or superiority of one way of life over another. But the selection of the March equinox makes planetary observance of a shared event possible. The vernal equinox calls on all mankind to recognize and respect Earth’s beautiful systems of balance, between the presence of animals on land, the fish in the sea, birds in the air, mankind, water, air, and land. Most importantly there must always be awareness of the actions by people that can disturb this precious balance."
~ Margaret Mead

Basically we should stop doing those things that are destructive to the environment, other creatures, and ourselves and figure out new ways of existing.
-- Moby

Arbor Day is not like other holidays. Each of those reposes on the past, while Arbor Day proposes for the future."
~ J. Sterling Morton, Founder of Arbor Day

"The cultivation of trees is the cultivation of the good, the beautiful, and the ennobling in man, and for one, I wish to see it become universal."

"Each generation takes the earth as trustees. We ought to bequeath to posterity as many forests and orchards as we have exhausted and consumed."

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
~ John Muir

"The battle we have fought, and are still fighting for the forests is a part of the eternal conflict between right and wrong, and we cannot expect to see the end of it ... So we must count on watching and striving for these trees, and should always be glad to find anything so surely good and noble to strive for."
~ John Muir

The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun.
~ Ralph Nader

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
~ Native American Proverb

"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
~ Native American Proverb

"The fate of the living planet is the most important issue facing mankind."
~ Gaylord Nelson

When we heal the earth, we heal ourselves.
~ David Orr

"Modern Society will find no solution to the ecological problem unless it takes a serious look at its lifestyles."
~ Pope John Paul II (Polish Pope. 1920-2005)

The activist is not the man who says the river is dirty. The activist is the man who cleans up the river.
~ Ross Perot

The environmental movement has led some of the most successful global campaigns in terms of raising public and political consciousness about the relationship of environment and development and offering alternatives for better governance at all levels from community to the international arena.
~ Michele Perrault

Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.
~ Channing E. Phillips

"The purpose of conservation: The greatest good to the greatest number of people for the longest time."
~ Gifford Pinchot, first Director of the U.S. Forest Service

"What may be possible for a minority of humankind, albeit at great cost, simply cannot work for the humankind. Our kind of progress depends on lacerating the Earth,on gouging out its riches, on stripping is life-sustaining skin of soil and forest, on poisoning its pure air, on defecating copiously in its pure water... the single most important indicator of environmental decline is the extent to which the damage done is reversible. The most heinous ecological crime of all is for any one generation so seriously to assault the web of life that the damage done is literally irreversible for every generation that follows."
~ Jonathon Porritt

I have no doubt that we will be successful in harnessing the sun's energy.... If sunbeams were weapons of war, we would have had solar energy centuries ago.
~ Sir George Porter

"For many of us, water simply flows from a faucet, and we think little about it beyond this point of contact. We have lost a sense of respect for the wild river, for the complex workings of a wetland, for the intricate web of life that water supports."
~ Sandra Postel

"Water is finite and we have not done a great job of managing it in the past."
~ Sandra Postel

"We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who can't speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish and trees."
-- Qwatsinas (Hereditary Chief Edward Moody), Nuxalk Nation

I think the environment should be put in the category of our national security. Defense of our resources is just as important as defense abroad. Otherwise what is there to defend?
~ Robert Redford

"We’ve poisoned the air, the water, and the land. In our passion to control nature, things have gone out of control. Progress from now on has to mean something different. We’re running out of resources and we are running out of time."
~ Robert Redford

"If we want energy security, then we have to reduce our appetite for fossil fuels. There's no other way. Other issues may crowd the headlines, but this is our fundamental challenge. Big challenges require bold action and leadership. To get the United States off fossil fuels in this uneasy national climate of terrorism and conflict in the Persian Gulf, we must treat the issue with the urgence and persistance it deserves. The measure of our success will be the condition on which we leave the world for the next generation.
~ Robert Redford

"To secure our environmental legacy for future generations, we must find ways to reconcile humanity more satisfactorily with the natural systems upon which all human life and civilizations depend. We must recognize that the natural systems of which we are part have an intrinsic worth transcending narrow utilitarian values. They must be preserved for their own sake. No philosopher or religious thinker has been more sensitive to this intimate relationship between humanity and nature than St. Francis of Assisi. The powerful contemporary environmental tradition of preservation, of reverence for wilderness and protection for all living things - the ideal that sees, as John Muir said, ‘in God’s wildness... the hope of the world’ - virtually began with St. Francis."
-- William K. Reilly, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

We're finally going to get the bill for the Industrial Age. If the projections are right, it's going to be a big one: the ecological collapse of the planet.
~ Jeremy Rifkin

"I used to think of the environment as trees and blue sky. Then I learned that for some people, the environment is gangs and concrete. All the issues that we face are connected. Worldwide, ecosystems are being destroyed, and indigenous peoples are losing their homelands and their entire way of life. Three out of every five African-Americans and Latinos in the US lives in a community with a toxic waste site. As long as pollution is being produced, it's going to go somewhere, and as long as there are marginalized communities where land is cheaper and the people don't have the time or the money to fight back, polluters will have a place to deposit toxins. As long as people and the planet are being exploited, and billions of dollars are being made precisely because laborers and the environment are being abused and used up, there will be children going hungry and ecological destruction. As long as war and violence are in our hearts and our streets as well as in our nations, as long as corporate greed and unsustainable consumption are at the forefront of our economies, no child will be born into a truly safe, peaceful or loving world."
~ Ocean Robbins

As long as people and the planet are being exploited, and billions of dollars are being made precisely because laborers and the environment are being abused and used up, there will be children going hungry and ecological destruction.
~ Ocean Robbins

If we think systematically, we will stop asking, "How much is nature worth?" We will know that we are a piece of nature ourselves.
~ Karl-Henrik Robèrt

...conservation of land and conservation of people frequently go hand in hand.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt

"A nation that destroys it's soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people."
~ Franklin D. Roosevelt

There is nothing so American as our national parks. The scenery and wildlife are native. The fundamental idea behind the parks is native. The parks stand as the outward symbol of this great human principle.
~ Franklin D. Roosevelt

The throwing out of balance of the resources of nature throws out of balance also the lives of men.
~ Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it."
~ Theodore Roosevelt, 1903

To waste, to destroy our natural resources, to skin and exhaust the land instead of using it so as to increase its usefulness, will result in undermining in the days of our children the very prosperity which we ought by right to hand down to them amplified and developed.
~ Theodore Roosevelt

"I feel most emphatically that we should not turn into shingles a tree which was old when the first Egyptian conqueror penetrated to the valley of the Euphrates."
~ Theodore Roosevelt

"I recognize the right and duty of this generation to develop and use our natural resources, but I do not recognize the right to waste them, or to rob by wasteful use, the generations that come after us."
~ Theodore Roosevelt

"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation increased, and not impaired in value."
~ Theodore Roosevelt

The function of our Government is to insure to all its citizens, now and hereafter, their rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. If we of this generation destroy the resources from which our children would otherwise derive their livelihood, we reduce the capacity of our land to support a population, and so either degrade the standard of living or deprive the coming generations of their fight to life on this continent.

If there is any one duty which more than another we owe it to our children and our children's children to perform at once, it is to save the forests of this country, for they constitute the first and most important element in the conservation of the natural resources of this country.
~ Theodore Roosevelt

You forget that the fruits belong to all and that the land belongs to no one.
~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites.
~ William Ruckelshaus, 1st EPA Administrator

You go into a community and they will vote 80 percent to 20 percent in favor of a tougher Clean Air Act, but if you ask them to devote 20 minutes a year to having their car emissions inspected, they will vote 80 to 20 against it. We are a long way in this country from taking individual responsibility for the environmental problem.
~ William Ruckelshaus, 1st EPA Administrator

"I am drawn to the wild not because it is wild but because it is sensible, logical, ordered, stable, resilient. Wild nature is everything we're struggling to regain."
~ Carl Safina

"A Healthy Ecology is the Basis for a Healthy Economy."
~ Claudine Schneider, U.S. Representative

"Man talks of a battle with Nature, forgetting that if he won the battle, he would find himself on the losing side."
~ E. F. Schumacher

The system of nature, of which man is a part, tends to be self-balancing, self-adjusting, self-cleansing. Not so with technology.
~ E.F. Schumacher

By means of trees, wildlife could be conserved, pollution decreased and the beauty of our landscapes enhanced. This is the way, or at least one of the ways, to spiritual, moral, and cultural regeneration.
~ E.F. Schumacher

"We still have to learn how to live peacefully, not only with our fellow men but also with nature and, above all, with those Higher Powers which have made nature and have made us; for, assuredly, we have not come about by accident and certainly have not made ourselves"
~ E.F. Schumacher

"Until mankind can extend the circle of his compassion to include all living things, he will never, himself, know peace."
~ Albert Schweitzer

"Man has lost the capacity to foresee and to forestall. He will end by destroying the earth."
~ Albert Schweitzer

"The conservationist's most Important task, if we are to save the earth, is to educate."
~ Peter Scott, founder chairman of the World Wildlife Federation

All things are connected like the blood that unites us, We did not weave the web of life. We are merely a strand in it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
~ Chief Seattle

"Whatever befalls the earth, befalls the people of the earth."
~ Chief Seattle

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~ Chief Seattle, 1855

Just as with other great words, the word environment means different things. You might say that a cave woman twenty thousand years ago sweeping out the cave was improving the environment. Many people improving the environment think only in terms of the air they breathe in their hometown and the water in the aquifer under their hometown. My guess is very few are thinking centuries ahead or thousand of years ahead, but that’s what we have to do.
~ Pete Seeger

So bleak is the picture... that the bulldozer and not the atomic bomb may turn out to be the most destructive invention of the 20th century.
~ Philip Shabecoff

Reasonable men adapt themselves to their environment; unreasonable men try to adapt their environment to themselves. Thus all progress is the result of the efforts of unreasonable men.
-- George Bernard Shaw

"The primary threat to nature and people today comes from centralising and monopolising power and control. Not until diversity is made the logic of production will there be a chance for sustainability, justice and peace. Cultivating and conserving diversity is no luxury in our times: it is a survival imperative."
~ Vandana Shiva

"America's last wild places are everyone's good dream--our national commons--the enclaves we set aside for solice and renewal."
~ Annick Smith

"Our moral and ethical responsibility is to protect other species in the spirit of husbandry rather than destroy them in and attitude of conquest."
~ Charles Southwick

"The cleanup costs of polluting a river, injecting pesticides into the ground water, or putting noxious gases into the air have not been figured into the cost of the manufacturing or agribusiness that put them there in the first place. Historically, the economic incentive has been to pollute."
-- Gloria Steinem

"Wildness can be a way of reassuring ourselves of our sanity as creatures, a part of the geography of hope."
~ Wallace Stenger

The Truly Healthy environment is not merely safe but stimulating."
~ William H. Stewart

"...I only feel angry when I see waste. When I see people throwing away things we could use."
~ Mother Teresa

As we watch the sun go down, evening after evening, through the smog across the poisoned waters of our native earth, we must ask ourselves seriously whether we really wish some future universal historian on another planet to say about us: "With all their genius and with all their skill, they ran out of foresight and air and food and water and ideas," or, "They went on playing politics until their world collapsed around them."
~ U Thant

"Wildness is the preservation of the World."
~ Henry David Thoreau

"We can never have enough of nature."
~ Henry David Thoreau
Walden, 1854

"What's the use of a fine house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?"
~ Henry David Thoreau

Every creature is better alive than dead, men and moose and pine trees, and he who understands it aright will rather preserve its life than destroy it.
~ Henry David Thoreau

"We must go through a natural revolution if we are to survive on earth. We need to change people's perceptions. If there's no environment, there's no human race. We are in a state of global denial."
~ Ted Turner

"Plans to protect air and water, wilderness and wildlife are in fact plans to protect man."
~ Stewart Udall

"A land ethic for tomorrow should be as honest as Thoreau's Walden, and as comprehensive as the sensitive science of ecology. It should stress the oneness of our resources and the live-and-help-live logic of the great chain of life."
~ Stewart Udall

The packaging for a microwavable "microwave" dinner is programmed for a shelf life of maybe six months, a cook time of two minutes and a landfill dead-time of centuries.
~ David Wann

"We have forgotten how to be good guests, how to walk lightly on the earth as its other creatures do."
~ Barbara Ward

"Our only choice, whatever our dogma, is to protect the Earth. This is our common progress or our common ruin. There is nothing in between"
~ Barbra Ward, Special Advisor of the UN Development Program

"You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here."
~ Alan Watts

"When we realize we can make a buck cleaning up the environment, it will be done!"
-- Dennis Weaver

"To halt the decline of an ecosystem, it is necessary to think like an ecosystem."
~ Douglas P. Wheeler

I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.
~ E. B. White

"I awake each morning torn between a desire to save the world and a desire to savour the world. This makes it hard to plan my day."
~ E. B. White

"I am pessimistic about the human race because it is too ingenious for its own good. Our approach to nature is to beat it into submission. We would stand a better change of survival if we accommodated ourselves to this planet and viewed it appreciatively instead of skeptically and dictatorially."
~ E. B. White

We shall continue to have a worsening ecologic crisis until we reject the Christian axiom that nature has no reason for existence save to serve man.
~ Lynn White, Jr.

"This is what you should do;
love the Earth and sun and the animals...
~ Walt Whitman

After you have exhausted what there is in business, politics, conviviality, and so on - have found that none of these finally satisfy, or permanently wear - what remains? Nature remains.
~ Walt Whitman

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth."
~ Walt Whitman

"This is what you should do;
love the Earth and sun and the animals,
despite riches, give alms to everyone that asks,
stand up for the stupid and crazy,
devote your income and labour to others,
hate tyrants, argue not concerning God,
have patience and indulgence towards the people,
take off your hat to nothing known or unknown
or to any many or number of men...
re-examine all you have been told at school
or church or in any book,
dismiss what insults your soul,
and your very flesh shall be a great poem."
~ Walt Whitman

In its broadest ecological context, economic development is the development of more intensive ways of exploiting the natural environment.
~ Richard Wilkinson

To be whole. To be complete. Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to rather than what we are separate from."
~ Terry Tempest Williams

"Energy Policy will be and should be driven by environmental policy in the future."
~ Timothy Wirth

"If we do not permit the Earth to produce beauty and joy, it will in the end not produce food either."
~ Joseph Woodkrutch

Ecology Heroes

Source: http://www.cultureofpeace.org/quotes/ecology-quotes.htm

Quotes for a Culture of Peace
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Shahanshah Aryamehr Reply with quote

Iranian Shah. Shahanshah Aryamehr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V5K0Oe-rZc
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Blood, Oil and War Reply with quote

jonesbahamas wrote:
http://www.jonesbahamas.com/
14th May
Blood, Oil and War

Today we wish to bring one fact to the public’s attention. We underscore the point that promises always come with price-tags.
And for sure, there are prices over which we - as Bahamians- have absolutely no control. It necessarily follows that those who make promises should make sure that they can truly deliver.

We make this observation as we note that we have no control over the price we pay for oil. We make this observation as we take note of the relation between the fight for oil, war in Iraq and other atrocities around the world. As we see it, quite a few of these struggles are all about oil.

And for sure, these struggles do involve the United States of America, India, China, Russia and Europe, among other powers that are contending for power and influence in the world.

Some other countries matter because they have some oil reserves.

Iraq is one of them.

Iraq is believed to have some of the world's largest oil reserves, about 115 billion barrels. The country's 2007 budget is based on predictions that oil proceeds will reach $31 billion, 93% of the government's revenue.

Here we find Iraq and here we find one possible explanation as to why the United States of America is prepared to pay such a frightfully high price in Iraqi and American blood for some of that oil that is coursing under that troubled nation’s top-soil.

In this regard, take note that U.S. officials would like the Iraqis to make a new law that would guarantee them certain rights and concessions as regards access to this vitally important product.

The Iraqis are balking; and rightly so.

The oil card is the one trump they have. As such, they are called upon to play it well and for all they can get from an oil-starved United States of America.

The truth is that as goes oil so goes the world economy.

And for sure, that power that controls oil will be that power that can decisively influence the way things go in the world.

Today the world is being led by a United States of America that is acutely dependent on foreign oil supplies. This brings with a host of strategic implications.

As Michael T. Klare notes, "The problem of growing US dependence on imported petroleum was first raised in the National Energy Policy Report, released by the White House in May 2001. Known as "the Cheney report," after its principal author, the Vice President, the document revealed that imported supplies accounted for half of US oil consumption in 2000 and will jump to two-thirds in 2020.

"And despite all the talk of drilling in Alaska, the report makes one thing clear: Most of America's future oil supplies will have to come from the Persian Gulf countries, which alone possess sufficient production potential to meet ever-growing US energy requirements. Thus, the report calls on the White House to place a high priority on increasing US access to Persian Gulf supplies.

"Growing worries about the stability of Saudi Arabia, principal US supplier there, heightened by revelations of Saudi extremists' involvement in the September 11 terror attacks, have prompted US strategists to seek a backup should future instability lead to a drop in Saudi oil production, which could trigger a global recession…"

And as Klare rightly notes, "Some strategists have proposed Russia as a backup, others the Caspian Sea states of Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan. But only one country has the capacity to substantially increase oil production in the event of a Saudi collapse: Iraq.

"With proven reserves of 112 billion barrels of oil (compared with 49 billion for Russia and 15 billion for the Caspian states), Iraq alone can serve as a backup for Saudi Arabia.

"At the same time, control over Iraqi oil would allow US leaders to more easily ignore Saudi demands for US action on behalf of the Palestinians and would weaken OPEC's control over oil prices…"

Klare tells us that "Iraq has yet another key attraction for U.S. oil strategists: Whereas most of Saudi Arabia's major fields have already been explored and claimed, Iraq possesses vast areas of promising but unexplored hydrocarbon potential…"

And so the bottom line is that "these fields may harbor the world's largest remaining reservoir of unmapped and unclaimed petroleum - far exceeding the untapped fields in Alaska, Africa and the Caspian…"

It necessarily follows that, "Whoever gains possession of these fields will exercise enormous influence over the global energy markets of the twenty-first century."

Quite evidently, the United States of America is involved in this titanic struggle. And for sure, it will use whatever means it must in order for it to prevail.

That said, it is today no foregone conclusion that this great nation will prevail.

Admitting to A Problem and Accepting Mistakes Are The Best Steps Toward Finding A Better Solution, Confessing To The Grand Delusion Is The Beginning Of Redemption....
As Long As President Bush Admin Has Not Accepted Problems and Mistakes Regarding Iraq and Iran Policy and They Have Not Accepted Secular Democracy, Establishing Free Society and Human Rights As The Key Elements Of Any Future Policies Towards All Developing Countries They Will Fail.
The Oil Addiction Is An Excuse For Not Implementing Correct Policy to Please Certain Lobbyists In Washington. The Oil in Iraq, Iran, and Saudi Arabia will not be safe unless USA is following policy based on Secular Democracy, Establishing Free Society and Human Rights for the people of region. Any Republican or Democratic US administration that does not follow the following rules will fail:

Quote:

Today Simple Rules For Evaluating Policy and Strategy

Our future expectations from policy makers and leadership are defined with new set of test cases for foreign policy evaluation criteria to be able to measure success and failure results more easily. Our recommended test cases and criteria are based on Cyrus The Great Spirit, the American founding fathers vision, spirit of freedom, US constitution and defined as follows:

1- Have a secular democracy purpose
2- Have a Human Rights purpose
3- Have a Free Society purpose
4- Have a primary effect to increase freedom at global level.
5- Have the element of War Of Ideas to expand public awareness, education and expansion of truth.
6- Have an element of Freedom of Choice
7- Applying the U.S.A. Supreme Court accepted "Lemon test," to foreign policy decisions, strategy and conduct. According to the "Lemon test," in order to be constitutional, a law or public act must: a) Have a secular purpose. b) Have a primary effect that neither advances nor inhibits religion. c) Not result in excessive governmental entanglement with religion.
8- Move towards better unified global fair Justice System.

Any US Admin foreign policies from (Right, Center, Left) that does not pass the above generic test cases, will not be very successful in long term, despite the fact that might look good for special interest group in short term (Iraq, Iran, …..)
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Clinton Unveils $5 Billion Green Makeover for Cities Reply with quote

Quote:
Clinton Unveils $5 Billion Green Makeover for Cities
http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/may2007/2007-05-16-02.asp

NEW YORK, New York, May 16, 2007 (ENS) - Former President Bill Clinton today announced the creation of a $5 billion global effort to fight global warming by retrofitting existing buildings with more energy efficient products, thereby reducing the emission of greenhouse gases.

A project of the Clinton Climate Initiative, the program brings together four of the world's largest energy service companies, five of the world's largest banks, and 15 of the world's largest cities to reduce energy consumption in existing buildings.

President Clinton announced the Energy Efficiency Building Retrofit Program at the C40 Large Cities Climate Summit now underway in New York. Mayors from across the United States and around the world are at the summit to strategize on climate change issues.

Former President Bill Clinton has created the first global program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from existing buildings. (Photo courtesy JFK Presidential Library)
"Climate change is a global problem that requires local action," said Clinton. "The businesses, banks and cities partnering with my foundation are addressing the issue of global warming because it's the right thing to do, but also because it's good for their bottom line."
"They're going to save money, make money, create jobs and have a tremendous collective impact on climate change all at once," he said.

Urban areas are responsible for approximately 75 percent of all energy use and greenhouse gas emissions in the world. Buildings account for nearly 40 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions, and in older cities such as New York and London this figure is much higher.

"Mayors are responsible for coming up with pragmatic solutions and implementing them effectively – and this program will allow us to do that," said New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. "We've laid out an ambitious agenda to reduce our carbon emissions, 80 percent of which come from buildings, while being economically competitive and continuing to grow."

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, left, flanked by mayors from around the world, addresses the C40 Large Cities Climate Summit. (Photo by Spencer Tucker courtesy Office of the Mayor)
A number of progressive cities have already enacted green building codes and standards that reduce energy use and greenhouse gas emissions in new buildings.
This will be the first large scale, global program that will address the larger problem of energy use in existing buildings. which are responsible for almost all greenhouse gas emissions from buildings.

The Energy Efficiency Building Retrofit Program will provide both cities and their private building owners with access to the necessary funds to retrofit existing buildings with more energy efficient products, which is exptected to produce energy savings of between 20 and 50 percent.

Honeywell, Johnson Controls, Inc, Siemens and Trane will conduct energy audits, perform building retrofits, and guarantee the energy savings of the retrofit projects.

ABN AMRO, Citi, Deutsche Bank, JPMorgan Chase, and UBS have committed to arrange $1 billion each to finance cities and private building owners to undertake these retrofits at no net cost, doubling the global market for energy retrofit in buildings.

These banks will work alongside energy efficiency finance specialist Hannon Armstrong and CCI to develop effective mechanisms to deploy this capital globally. Cities and building owners will pay back the loans plus interest with the energy savings generated by the reduced energy costs thanks to the building retrofits.

An initial group of 15 of the world's largest cities has agreed to participate in the retrofit program, and offer their municipal buildings for the first round of energy retrofits - Bangkok, Berlin, Chicago, Houston, Johannesburg, Karachi, London, Melbourne, Mexico City, New York, Rome, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Tokyo, and Toronto.
As part of the Energy Efficiency Building Retrofit Program, cities have agreed to develop a program to make their municipal buildings more energy efficient and provide incentives for private building owners to retrofit their buildings with energy saving technologies.
Mayor of London Ken Livingstone, Chair of the C40, said he is encouraged by this first outcome of the C40's partnership with the Clinton Climate Initiative.

New York is one of the first 15 cities to enter the Energy Efficiency Building Retrofit Program. (Photo by Ian Britton courtesy FreeFoto)
"Fifteen cities have already signed up to take advantage of this initiative and I am confident many more will follow," the London mayor said. "National governments still struggle to agree a way forward on global warming, but cities, which are responsible for around three quarters of global greenhouse gas emissions, are today demonstrating the leadership and decisive action necessary to prevent catastrophic climate change."
Participation in the retrofit program will be open to local banks and companies, who will be invited to contribute to the funding pool and to expand the list of green products used in retrofits.

The retrofit program will be consistent with, and work within, city procurement and tendering rules.

The U.S. Green Building Council and the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers have agreed to help coordinate training programs in participating cities.

Quote:

Clinton Gives Cities Green To "Go Green"
NEW YORK, May 17, 2007
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/17/tech/main2820900.shtml
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(AP) Sixteen cities around the world will get financing to "go green" by renovating buildings they own with technology designed to cut carbon emissions, former President Clinton announced Wednesday.

Clinton's foundation has created an arrangement among four energy service companies and five global banking institutions that will result in major environmental upgrades in the cities, which include New York, Chicago, Houston, Toronto, Mexico City, London, Berlin, Tokyo and Rome.

"If all buildings were as efficient as they could be, we'd be saving an enormous amount of energy and significantly reducing carbon emissions. Also, we'd be saving a ton of money," Clinton said.

The planned projects include replacing heating, cooling and lighting systems with energy-efficient networks; making roofs white or reflective to deflect more of the sun's heat; sealing windows and installing new models that let more light in and keep the elements out; and setting up sensors to control more efficient use of lights and air conditioning.

The former president said Citi, Deutsche Bank, JP Morgan Chase, UBS and ABN Amro have each committed $1 billion to finance the upgrades.

Clinton announced the partnership Wednesday, joined by mayors of several of the cities, as part of an international climate summit he is hosting this week in New York City with Mayor Michael Bloomberg. It is the second meeting of the C40 Large Cities Climate Summit, which was created so mayors and local governments could share strategies for reversing the trends of climate change.

"It really is groundbreaking; it really is going to make a difference," Bloomberg said.

Retrofitted buildings could see a 20 to 50 percent reduction in energy use, Clinton said.

Buildings are among a city's worst contributors to emissions totals, accounting for 50 percent of energy use in newer cities and more than 70 percent in older urban areas. In New York, for example, electricity, natural gas, fuel oil and steam consumed by buildings make up 79 percent of the city's total count of heat-trapping gases, a recent study found.

Many cities have already taken steps to "green" their municipal buildings, but the foundation said less than 1 percent of the potential market is being tapped in the U.S., and the efforts are less common elsewhere.

One city doing such work is Chicago. Retrofitting the lighting systems in city buildings there over the past six years has resulted in about $4 million in annual savings, said Sadhu Johnston, commissioner of the Chicago Department of the Environment.

The exact nature of the financing will be determined in coming months, the foundation said, and some details will likely differ from city to city. With the money from the banks, cities will get the green technology at no cost. The program assumes that cities already have money set aside for building operations and will pay back the bank loans, plus interest, through the energy savings that the projects achieve over several years.

To ensure those savings, Honeywell, Johnson Controls Inc., Siemens and Trane will conduct energy audits of the buildings, complete the makeovers and guarantee the energy savings. If the expected savings are not realized, those companies will pay the difference or make the changes in the buildings, the foundation said.

Warren Karlenzig, author of "How Green Is Your City?", applauded the plan and said many of these retrofits have been "crying out to happen."

"The technology is there; it's just that the financing has been missing," Karlenzig said.

The other cities taking part in the building plan are Mumbai, India; Karachi, Pakistan; Seoul, South Korea; Bangkok, Thailand; Melbourne, Australia; Sao Paulo, Brazil; and Johannesburg, South Africa. The foundation expects the partnership to expand to more cities and companies after the first round.
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Now How Big Are We When Sun Become Just A Pixel In the Big P Reply with quote

Now How Big Are We When The Sun Become Just A Pixel In the Big Picture?
Are We Feeling insignificant yet?
And, how big are the things that will upset us today?
Or, for that matter, the things that are important?

We Should KEEP LIFE IN PERSPECTIVE With Better Vision and Mission ....
Human Being Might Become Significant One Day If and When We Have Correct PERSPECTIVE, VISION, MISSION ... And Apply Our Destructive Power In Constructive Directions ….

The perspective we get on Earth, our planet appears to be big and sturdy with an endless ocean of air. From space, astronauts often get the impression that the Earth is small with a thin, fragile layer of atmosphere. For a space traveler, the distinguishing Earth features are the blue waters, brown and green land masses and white clouds set against a black background. We should love and respect our small beautiful mother earth planet.
Many dream of traveling in space and viewing the wonders of the universe. In reality all of us are space travelers. Our spaceship is the planet Earth, traveling at the speed of 108,000 kilometers (67,000 miles) an hour. In order to control unlimited human greed and power in this century we must educate ourselves that as long as human being can not create self sufficient spaceship like earth then we must be wise how we use the earth resources and human being is not the only owner of this spaceship.....

Watch Video Clip The Real Perspective on the Solar System - With Music
Michael Jackson - Earth Song - HIStory Tour Munich
Michael Jackson - Earth Song - Subtitled
Princess Mononoke AMV - Earth Song

An ambient space documentary that I created, set to one of my favorite pieces of music: the 40 minute, 7 part "Chronos" by Michael Sterns.

Note: No voice-over or text has been added while creating this documentary. It is intended to be a personal experience. The parts should be watched in order as follows:
1. Evolution
2. Ascension
3. Spaceship Earth
4. Space
5. Nature
6. Man
7. Return

Note: These videos do not reflect the book by Clark or the album by Mike Oldfield!
Songs of a Distant Earth Part 1 of 7 - Evolution
Songs of a Distant Earth Part 2 of 7 - Ascension
Songs of a Distant Earth Part 3 of 7 - Spaceship Earth
Songs of a Distant Earth Part 4 of 7 - Space
Songs of a Distant Earth Part 5 of 7 - Nature
Songs of a Distant Earth Part 6 of 7 - Man
Songs of a Distant Earth Part 7 of 7 - Return
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Scripps gets $2.5 million gift Reply with quote

Scripps gets $2.5 million gift

Donation funds Revelle Chair to hire a top climate scientist
By Robert Krier
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

May 22, 2007
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070522-9999-1m22chair.html
LA JOLLA – The widow and family of the late oceanographer Roger Revelle have donated $2.5 million to the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD announced yesterday.
The gift, which will be used to recruit a climate scientist to the institution and establish an environmental science chair in Revelle's honor, is the largest single donation ever made for an endowed chair in Scripps' 104-year history.

“This will be enough to recruit an international leader to join the international leaders (in climate-change research) we already have,” said Tony Haymet, director of the institution. “We'll be able to . . . continue the legacy” of Revelle and other top-flight researchers at Scripps.

Revelle, director of the institution from 1951 to 1964, is often called the “grandfather of the greenhouse effect” because of his work with fellow Scripps researcher Charles David Keeling on rising carbon dioxide levels around the world. Revelle surmised that increased CO2 in the atmosphere would cause global temperatures to rise. Former Vice President Al Gore cites Revelle as a personal inspiration in his documentary on global warming, “An Inconvenient Truth.”

Revelle's wife, Ellen Revelle, said Scripps was dear to her husband, who died in 1991. She said the donation was made with her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren in mind.

“It's very important that Americans improve and try to do better to mitigate the situation,” she said. “We need to do anything we can. The situation is certainly not getting better without doing anything.”

Haymet said several candidates for the “Roger Revelle Chair in Environmental Science” have already been interviewed. The combination teaching/research position should be filled within six months.

About 80 percent of the research at Scripps is funded by federal grants. Haymet said private donations, such as the Revelle endowment, allow the kind of innovative research that the federal government often will not fund.

UCSD Chancellor Marye Anne Fox said much of the success at the university can be traced to Revelle's early work. Revelle fought for the creation of a University of California campus in San Diego, and the campus's first college is named for him.

“This generous gift from the Revelle family helps ensure that Scripps Institution of Oceanography remains at the forefront of marine science and climate-change research,” Fox said.
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Al Gore, uncensored, in 'The Assault on Reason' Reply with quote

Source: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1622009,00.html

Book Excerpt: The Assault on Reason
"Why do reason, logic and truth seem to play a diminished role in the way America now makes important decisions?," writes Al Gore in his new book

Quote:
My favorite part of the book is early on, when Gore argues that the main cause of the decline of reasoned political thought is television. He contends that when more Americans started getting their news from TV instead of newspapers, the emphasis changed from reading, an activity that by its nature activates the parts of the brain involved with reasoning, to watching, which elicits emotion but not thought. Recalling the words of Thomas Jefferson, Gore writes: "The 'well-informed citizenry' is in danger of becoming the 'well-amused audience.'"

Let's say you were dreaming up the perfect stealth candidate for 2008, a Democrat who could step into the presidential race when the party confronts its inevitable doubts about the front-runners. You would want a candidate with the grassroots appeal of Barack Obama—someone with a message that transcends politics, someone who spoke out loud and clear and early against the war in Iraq. But you would also want a candidate with the operational toughness of Hillary Clinton—someone with experience and credibility on the world stage.

Al Gore, uncensored, in 'The Assault on Reason'
From the environment to TV to politics, Al Gore lets loose in 'Assault on Reason.'
By Joe Conason, Special to The Times
May 22, 2007

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-et-book22may22,0,8063.story?coll=la-headlines-politics

WHY do our leaders feel that they can speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth only after they have left politics? After spending nearly half his life in public office, from which he was separated involuntarily in the 2000 election, Al Gore knows the answer. As he explains in his new book, the American political system has degenerated into a rigged game that suppresses honesty and rewards deception.

To anyone paying attention over the last few decades, the underlying causes that Gore identifies will be familiar, including the ascendancy of mindless television, the domination of corporate money, the concentration of ownership in influential media and the decline of engaged citizenship. In "The Assault on Reason," he lingers over those well-worn topics and others, employing the same didactic method that used to provoke irritation or even ridicule during his hotly contested presidential campaign.

Yet Gore's professorial style, with its touches of sarcasm, omniscient tone, erudite asides, and yes, its occasional exasperated sighs, elicits a different response today than it did seven years ago. Many of the same publications that once poured scorn on him now offer up paragraph after paragraph of admiring prose.

The change in attitude is as obvious as the reason behind it: The overwhelming scientific consensus has since confirmed Gore's years of warnings about the most important issue facing the planet, a stunning reversal that suggests those who mocked him were fools in the first place and that we can continue to ignore him only at our own peril. Even when he is saying something we already know, his voice adds a note of prophetic confirmation. Then again, Gore has changed too. Always unusually smart and farsighted, he nevertheless spent most of his public career emphasizing the expedient and conventional rather than the critical and visionary as nearly every ambitious politician must. Liberated from those constraints by defeat, he kept silent until fall 2002, when he spoke out forthrightly against the invasion of Iraq.

The tentative, calculating, painfully moderate approach of the past was gone, along with all of the baggage of the Democratic Leadership Council that he had helped to found. He was no longer the same politician who could comfortably have Joe Lieberman as his running mate. And in the years that have followed his Iraq speech and his endorsement of Howard Dean for president in the 2004 race, Gore has continued to speak out not only on global-warming but also against the erosion of civil liberties, media consolidation, denigration of science by the federal government, and right-wing threats against the judiciary, developing themes that he examines closely in these pages.

What he is telling us today — with the moral authority of a man who many believe was wrongly barred from the presidency — is that American democracy and indeed American society are in danger from the authoritarians of the right. Without much polite varnish, he warns that self-serving plutocrats and self-righteous theocrats have nearly banished reason from the public square; their machinations disable us as we try to confront the enormous problems that threaten our future. According to Gore, Americans cannot adequately protect the nation from terrorism because our ideas about national security have been distorted by fear and falsehoods. Nor can we address what he calls "the carbon crisis," potentially "the worst catastrophe in the history of human civilization," because the truth about global warming has been obscured by industrial and government propaganda.

In his introduction, the former vice president acknowledges that while assessing our contemporary ills, it would be "too easy — and too partisan — to simply place the blame on the policies of President George W. Bush. We are all responsible for the decisions our country makes." Yet although he clearly identifies other culprits, placing special emphasis on the baneful hypnotic power of television and the irresponsibility of the networks, he provides in this book one of the most comprehensive indictments of the Bush administration that has ever appeared in print. He goes so far as to hint that, in their abject service to power and their quest for dominance both at home and abroad, the president and his associates have imperiled their souls.

Gore generally prefers facts and analysis to metaphysics, however. Characteristically, he reviews anew the history of duplicity and incompetence that led to the administration's downfall in both the Iraq war and the Hurricane Katrina disaster. He refuses to assume that we already know what we ought to know (and what most of his readers in fact almost certainly do know). He is more compelling when he brings to bear his experience and knowledge on crucial issues that rarely receive sufficient coverage, such as nuclear proliferation and media concentration.

His insistence on detail and thoroughness, which may seem like a personal tic in an era of sound bites, is rooted in his conviction that most Americans have little understanding of the world in which they live. He worries that mass alienation from politics and immersion in the entertainment culture along with poor civic education have created a population that is woefully uninformed.

He cites polls and studies showing that the majority of citizens know almost nothing about the Constitution or the system of checks and balances that forms the basic structure of American government.

In his same concluding chapter, however, he suggests that the Internet, a text-based medium that encourages participation rather than passivity, may still save us, if we only have the wit to preserve it from corporate encroachment. For someone who became intimately aware of the system's worst flaws, he remains remarkably optimistic that the emerging technologies will enable democracy's advocates to triumph.

At a time when we are learning that political responses tend to be more emotional than rational, as he surely understands, his stubborn faith that we will someday return to reason is touching. That faith inflected his political career, for better and for worse. It does not explain why this most qualified and courageous Democratic candidate has — so far — decided not to run for president again.

By Julie Neal (Celebration, FL United States) - See all my reviews

Here's a radical idea: Americans can govern themselves best by having clear-headed, reasoned public discussions on the important topics of the day. A thought from Thomas Paine? Your high school civics teacher? No, Al Gore. That's the theme of this clear-headed, reasoned, and yes, even passionate argument on what's wrong with our country and how we can fix it.

Yes, it bashes Bush, but how can it not? It's impossible to argue against the chatterbox shrillness of today's public debate without mentioning the subjects being debated. And if you're going to seriously examine Iraq, Katrina and the other issues of the last six years, how can our current President come out looking good?

Gore doesn't mince his words. He calls Bush a liar and an irresponsible leader. But he backs up these views with a 90-minute Powerpoint presentation worth of clear-headed, reasoned thought.

Divided into three parts, the book's simple structure makes it easy to follow. The first half identifies what Gore contends are the five enemies of reason -- fear, superstition, ideology, deception and intolerance. The second half examines the damage those things have caused and offers a few solutions.

And just what is that damage? Gore breaks it down into five areas:

* The squandering of international goodwill over Iraq has caused a threat to our national security, as the world now fears us instead of respects us.

* Ignoring the rational arguments of scientists has weakened our environmental security, as shown by the failure to be ready for the known problems Katrina and global warming would cause.

* Our excessive dependence on imported oil continues to weaken our energy security.

* Our liberty is threatened when our government uses fear and raw power -- instead of reasoned argument -- to get what it wants domestically.

* And finally, Gore says our general welfare is threatened when our leaders take what he maintains belongs to all the people -- our Treasury funds -- and give as much of them as possible to the most wealthy and privileged.

As for solutions, the book offers only one: Gore in '08!

OK, not really. Just wanted to see if you were still with me.

Actually, the book closes by arguing that, now more than ever, our citizens must be well informed and must feel like they are part of the political process. It holds out hope that the internet is the key, and that television could play a part by doing things like scheduling Congressional debates in prime time. Gore also claims that we need additional campaign reform, including making contributions more transparent.

My favorite part of the book is early on, when Gore argues that the main cause of the decline of reasoned political thought is television. He contends that when more Americans started getting their news from TV instead of newspapers, the emphasis changed from reading, an activity that by its nature activates the parts of the brain involved with reasoning, to watching, which elicits emotion but not thought. Recalling the words of Thomas Jefferson, Gore writes: "The 'well-informed citizenry' is in danger of becoming the 'well-amused audience.'"
In my work, I spend many evenings at Walt Disney World, which concludes each day with a gigantic fireworks show. Called Wishes, it closes with children singing "If you keep on believing, a wish that you make will come true." I know it sounds trite, but perhaps those prerecorded kids have a point. Reading this book, I felt like I was back in my 1970s high school civics class, a time when the present had its problems, but the future seemed so bright. Maybe it can still be. If not for me, at least for my daughter.

Last edited by cyrus on Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Iran hostage crisis Reply with quote

The Iranian Shah, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, meeting with Arthur Atherton, William H. Sullivan, Cyrus Vance, President Jimmy Carter and Zbigniew Brzezinski, 1977

Hostage crisis
Main article: Iran hostage crisis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter

The Iranian Shah, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, meeting with Arthur Atherton, William H. Sullivan, Cyrus Vance, President Jimmy Carter and Zbigniew Brzezinski, 1977The main conflict between human rights and U.S. interests came in Carter's dealings with the Shah of Iran. The Shah, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, had been a strong ally of America since World War II and was one of the "twin pillars" upon which U.S. strategic policy in the Middle East was built. However, his rule was strongly autocratic, and he went along with the plan of the Eisenhower Administration to depose Mohammed Mossadegh in 1953. Though Carter praised the Shah as a wise and valuable leader, when the Iranian Revolution broke out in Iran, which led to the overthrow of the monarchy, the U.S. did not intervene. The Shah was subsequently deposed and exiled.

Despite having previously denied the Shah entry into the United States for medical treatment, on October 22, 1979, Carter finally granted him entry and temporary asylum for the duration of his cancer treatment; the Shah left for Panama on December 15, 1979. In response to the Shah's entry into the U.S., Iranian militants seized the American embassy in Tehran, taking 53 Americans hostage, soldiers as well as diplomats. [25] The Iranians demanded (1) the return of the Shah to Iran for trial, (2) the return of the Shah's wealth to the Iranian people, (3) an admission of guilt by the United States for its past actions in Iran, plus an apology, and (4) a promise from the United States not to interfere in Iran's affairs in the future. Though later that year the Shah left the U.S. and died in Egypt, the hostage crisis continued and dominated the last year of Carter's presidency, even though almost half of the hostages were released. The subsequent responses to the crisis—from a "Rose Garden strategy" of staying inside the White House, to the unsuccessful attempt to rescue the hostages—were largely seen as contributing to Carter's defeat in the 1980 election.

After the hostages were taken, President Carter issued, on November 14, 1979, Executive Order 12170 - Blocking Iranian Government property,[26] which was used to freeze the bank accounts of the Iranian government in US banks, totaling about $8 billion US at the time. This was to be used as a bargaining chip for the release of the hostages.

The Iranians then changed their demand to return of the Shah and the release of the Iranian money. Through informal channels the Iranian government started negotiations with the banks holding the money. The banks took over negotiations for the release of the hostages, not the U.S. State Department. When the Shah died of cancer in the summer of 1980, the Iranians wanted no more to do with the hostages and changed their demands to just the release of the hostages in exchange for the return of their money. Why the deal was not struck at that point is never explained, since it was the same deal that the Iranians received in January 1981. The hostages were finally released with the signing of Executive Orders 12277 through 12285, releasing all assets belonging to the Iranian government and all assets belonging to the Shah found within the United States and the guarantee that the hostages would have no legal claim against the Iranian government that would be heard in U.S. courts. Iran, however, also agreed to place $1 billion dollars of the frozen assets in an escrow account and both Iran and the United States agreed to the creation of a tribunal to adjudicate claims by U.S. Nationals against Iran for compensation for property lost by them or contracts breached by Iran. The tribunal, known as the Iran-United States Claims Tribunal, has awarded over $2 billion dollars to U.S. claimaints and has been described as one of the most important arbitration bodies in the history of International Law.[27]
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Headline: Gold Prices / Shah of Iran Reply with quote

CBS Evening News for Thursday, Dec 19, 1974

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Headline: Gold Prices / Shah of Iran

Abstract: (Studio) Last wkend., President Ford and French President Valery Giscard d'Estaing said their nations should be free to value gold at market prices. Shah of Iran strongly warns against such a move; reasons given.
REPORTER: Walter Cronkite

Begin Time: 05:36:10 pm
End Time: 05:36:40 pm
TVN Record Number: 232480
Copyright: Abstract and Metadata (c) 1974-2007 Vanderbilt University
http://openweb.tvnews.vanderbilt.edu/1974-12/1974-12-19-CBS-6.html
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: As Al Gore's Book Hits Number One, ExxonMobil's Front Group Reply with quote

Dave Johnson and James Boyce wrote:
As Al Gore's Book Hits Number One, ExxonMobil's Front Group Attacks

by Dave Johnson and James Boyce Page 1 of 3 page(s)

http://www.opednews.com

http://www.opednews.com/articles/1/opedne_dave_joh_070531_as_al_gore_s_book_hi.htm

Last week Al Gore released a very thought-provoking book The Assault On Reason. Vice President Gore's book has been very well-received and it quickly reached Number 1 on Amazon's best-seller list and now the New York Times best-seller list.

The Assault On Reason is a remarkable look at where we are as a country, and where we might end up if we don't alter course. It also is remarkable for this day and age because it was written entirely by Mr. Gore, without the aid of a ghostwriter -- something that has not been noted much.

Book Review Comments wrote:
2 of 2 people found the following
Source: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/1594201226/ref=cm_rev_prev/103-4169385-5091066?ie=UTF8&customer-reviews.sort%5Fby=-SubmissionDate&n=283155&s=books&customer-reviews.start=1

review helpful:
a sober prognosis, May 31, 2007
By Kevin Joiner (Dallas, Texas USA) - See all my reviews

Perhaps the only flaw in 'the Assault on Reason' is the book's author. I say that because I fear that the people who truly need to think about the themes contained within will simply never even consider reading it. They'll see the name Al Gore on the cover and pigeonhole it into that category so many people have these days, us or them. If they consider Gore to be an "us" they might read it, but if he's one of "them", it might as well be written in Greek. In some ways I wish that somehow, Ronald Reagan could have written the 'Assault on Reason'. Because it's vitally important that those in government and in the population who support the presidents' radical interpretation of executive power and the many, well-document abuses of that power, read this book.

You can disagree with him all day long, but this book is something beyond the usual vitriolic political screed. The book does feature a meticulous outline of the misdeeds of the administration but it doesn't feel like a personal attack. Rather it's a sober prognosis of the health of our democracy. It looks not only at the administration but at the often dysfunctional Congress and the influence of corporations and other special interest groups. Special attention is given to the confusion, frustration and apathy that so many citizens feel and the reasons why so few of us bother to vote.

Ultimately 'the Assault on Reason' is a sort of cousin to Thomas Paine's legendary pamphlet, 'Common Sense'. It is a call to action for all citizens of this country that transcends simple political cliquishness. It lays out the challenges before us and implores us become involved and active citizens. Like 'an Inconvenient Truth' it deserves to be read and discussed no matter what your political leanings might be.

Comment | Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

8 of 10 people found the following review helpful:
Truth in Politics- There's Still Time to Get it Right !, May 31, 2007
By Jo Ana Starr "Director of NEIH.COM/Writer/Spe... (New Haven, CT USA) - See all my reviews

In his well written and thought-provoking book, Al Gore proposes that we take a hard look at a system that doesn't work effectively, and change it by infusing honesty, integrity, and honor into that system. I refer, of course, to politics, not wellknown in our country as an arena in which those values flourish. If you ask the average person in the US whom he most distrusts, it's very possible that politicians would show up with used car salesmen in the Top Ten list, which is unfortunate, since politicians represent us in the process of lawmaking and more. This book suggests that we need to elect people we can trust, to hold these positions, and Mr. Gore suggests that more truth and less "spin" in political campaigning, may make it easier for us to choose the best candidates.

Mr. Gore is suggesting that we CAN recreate a political climate that seems to have existed when our founding fathers created the laws that govern our land- honor, integrity, honesty, and pride. I think he's right in proposing that it's time that we decide how we want our country to be governed, and that we choose politicians based on their integrity and intelligence, and not on their ability to pay for an unlimited number of 30-second TV spots. And that we not be seduced by high-drama media clips or newspaper blips that are tools of persuasion designed to incite an emotional response.

With the internet and multiple streams of information available to almost everyone, it's possible to get a clearer view of what's going on in the world. It's easier to sort through the misinformation and media spins to find accurate information. And it's probably our responsibility to do so. We can only continue to be mislead, if we allow ourselves to be.

In this book, Mr. Gore diplomatically references the current administration's using misinformation, media overload, and emotion-based distractions to win an election, justify our country's entering into multiple wars, and so on. The author does so without rancor, which is admirable, given his role in the first election that President Bush won. Mr. Gore's book also suggests that using fear, patriotism, and media spins to win elections and to justify mismanaging government funds etc may create a short-term gain for politicians and a longterm expense for the rest of us.

If like 75% of the US population (according to the most recent statistics), you don't feel that "the US is heading in the right direction", you will probably find this a thought-provoking, well written book. This book reveals the powerful impact that media has had on the election process and strongly proposes better ways to manage that process. And perhaps, our responsibility to do so.

I highly recommend this book.

9 of 10 people found the following review helpful:
America: Where emotion defeats logic, May 31, 2007
By paul (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews

We see it in campaign ads all the time: the winners have the best negative ads about their opponent rather than positive ads about themselves. We see it in commercials--what to avoid, what to look out for. We even see it here in these reviews, the emotional words that are used to attack the writer's credibility/motivation vs. the book itself. If you read the one-star reviews of this book, you'll see lots of emotional quips yet very little breakdown, very little assessment of Thomas Jefferson's ambitions or President Bush's interpretation of "Constitutional". Emotion gets our attention, and negative viewpoints often lead the way.

Gore's book is all about that--our inability to know the difference between thoughts and feelings. From the debt of Iraq that will last for 3 generations to the Patriot Act that supposedly "protects us" from abstract harm, Gore lists many examples of how we accept things that just do-not-make-sense. He shows patterns caused by things like television--a passive medium that has taught us how to just take in what we are fed. He presents evidence of past cultures that have fallen due to great disparity between rich and poor. He shows strange contridictions as well, like how members of congress often skip sessions to go out and raise many to pay for commercials. After all, everyone sees ads on television, but how many of us know what was talked about on the floor earlier today?

He shows other strange things, like our belief that being in the Middle East somehow makes us "safer" even though it infuriates our enemies. And he repeats over and over that Saddam Hussein had nothing to do with 9/11...not some, not little, but NOTHING. Yet still, to this day, more than half of all Americans still believe Iraq was either behind the attacks or direcly involved. Why is this so? From "they hate us for our freedom" to the more recent "they'll follow us home", fear and emotion are at the base of so many messages, and this is the theme Gore keeps hitting on. As sound bites and attention spans get shorter and shorter, how can this ever change? Have we reached a permanent state where truth is determined by what gets repeated the most?

Still, Gore's book remains optimistic, for he really believes that our Constitution will weather the storm. Our rights and our freedoms are right there for everyone to see, and time will prove which administrations in history used fear and intimidation to achieve their personal goals. It's a refreshingly objective breakdown of where we've been vs. where we're headed. And while it is slanted against the current administration, it doesn't move you with angry suggestions or resentful feelings. If anything, it shows the intentions of our founding fathers and how clever spin and 30 second spots have helped us lose our way.

8 of 9 people found the following review helpful:
What's the greatest danger facing America?, May 31, 2007
By T. Wang "techguy" (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews

I am reading Al Gore's latest book "The Assault On Reason". I am only
on page 58, but I am already quite impressed about his take on the true
dangers facing America. If you want to know, get this book!

I was hoping Al Gore would run next year, but it does not seem
likely at this moment. He would have been an excellent president.

I thought it was a striking contrast that the Iraq war is not
popular at all, but suggesting a withdrawal of fundings would
be a failure to support our troops. Opposing torture of war
prisoners would be described as "giving comfort to our enemies".
If you are frustrated by these arguments,
then you should read Al Gore's latest book.

6 of 82 people found the following review helpful:
Al Gore is just another one of those crazy liberals!, May 31, 2007
By Pip Pip Didley Doo "Liberals Suck!" (Wouldnt You Like to Know!) - See all my reviews

Al Gore argues in this book about how fear has courrupted the government and such. That is exactly what he is doing with his whole global warming thing. He is giving false information and using fear to gain pollitical power. AS Glenn Beck put it "Its dogma and if you dont believe in it your a heretic." Wake up people, he is using fear as a tactic so he can gain more political prowess.

Comments (7) | Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

7 of 10 people found the following review helpful:
Why are these voices so lonely?, May 31, 2007
By cambro "cambro31" (Ann Arbor, MI United States) - See all my reviews

Reason, truth, and credibility are truly under assault in our country. I've known it, but now it is plainly articulated. For the first time I feel like standing up and FIGHTING for what I believe in and for preserving our AMERICAN way of life. This is the calling of our time, but we have to act now.

In terms of the read, Gore's obsession with the psychological underpinnings of TV are a bit tiresome, but the book is loaded with a mission-critical assessment of the state of our country and where it is headed. It should be required reading, along with a critical and objective assessment from the other side of the political spectrum.

I can only hope and pray that this message, this call to arms, is widely heard and not suppressed.

9 of 11 people found the following review helpful:
Clear and concise, May 30, 2007
By W. P. Strange "Bill's shelf" (Williamstown, MA United States) - See all my reviews

Al Gore, the elected president in 2000, has moved on. This book is a clear and plain spoken assesment of where discourse in America now stands, and why it is in danger of changing the very nature of our democracy. Al Gore proves once again that he is a visionary, and his loss of the presidency was a tragedy for Americans. There are places in the book where he can not help but take a shot at George Bush and the sad path he has set down for the country since being appointed president - even the fact that what happened in 2000 was allowed to happen and that there was no significant uproar, as there should have been, is proof that it is becoming more and more difficult to have positive two way discourse. The internet is having a huge affect on how we elect officials and make decisions on important issues. He lays out suggestions for ways to move back to level playing field, and how improving the communication between parties and organizations for everyone's benefit.

Al Gore would have been a great president. Maybe one day soon he will again have the opportunity. If anyone on the scene today can begin to repair the damage of the Bush years, Al gore is that man.

However you feel about him and his passion for the environment, by reading "The Assault on Reason" you can't help but see an entirely new side of a true statesman - a rarity in 21st century America.

3 of 12 people found the following review helpful:
Assault on Reason Goes Back to the Cold War, May 30, 2007
By Mark Tracy - See all my reviews

The assault on reason goes back to the days of the Cold War when right-wing nuts -- through their propagada organs like the John Birch Society -- were able to convice a significant portion of the public that Communists eat their babies and that flouridated water was a Communist plot to poison America. It continues today with fundamentalist leaders able to convice their followers that any day Jesus is going to come down from the sky and take them up to heaven. The problem in America is that many of our children are sleeping through their science classes.

9 of 17 people found the following review helpful:
Richard D. Whiteford's review of Al Gore's book, An Assult on Reason, May 30, 2007
By Richard D. Whiteford - See all my reviews

I gave this book 5 stars. In this book Al Gore does what Al Gore does best - teach. His greatest gift in life is to take a topic step by step and teach it with such clarity that anyone can clearly understand his message.
Most important to me, Mr. Gore's book teaches us the badly needed re-education about democracy and our Constitution. American's, for the most part, have forgotten the basic principals this country was founded upon. American's also are not paying attention to the assult to these basic principals that is systematically working to take our freedoms away from us. This book should be read by every American and by anyone wanting to understand what America is supposed to stand for.
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: EARTH DAY 2007 Reply with quote

EARTH DAY 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX-QwngbrLg

APRIL 22, 2007
FIRST OBSERVED 1970

WANT TO LEARN MORE?
EARTH DAY NETWORK - Narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio
Learn what's causing global warming & what you csn do to help.
http://earthday.powerknex.com/

L.A. TIMES ALTERED OCEANS 4 PART SERIES -
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/oce...,0,7842752.special

ALSO OF INTEREST:
If plastic is not recycled, it ends up having an impact on our enviroment. Now there are some plastic alternatives which are made from food.
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?sec...

HAVE YOU SEEN AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH YET? Smile
IT'S OUR HOME WE'RE TALKING 'BOUT. YA GOTTA CARE!!!

AND A LITTLE MORE:
http://www.earthday.net

GOT COOL LINKS 2 ADD?
SEND 'EM MY WAY - PLEASE... (more) (
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Father of the Iranian Revolution Reply with quote

Father of the Iranian Revolution

June 20, 2007
The Jerusalem Post
Michael D. Evans

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1181813077590&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

We just don't get it. The Left in America is screaming to high heaven that the mess we are in in Iraq and the war on terrorism has been caused by the right-wing and that George W. Bush, the so-called "dim-witted cowboy," has created the entire mess.

The truth is the entire nightmare can be traced back to the liberal democratic policies of the leftist Jimmy Carter, who created a firestorm that destabilized our greatest ally in the Muslim world, the shah of Iran, in favor of a religious fanatic, the ayatollah Khomeini.

Carter viewed Khomeini as more of a religious holy man in a grassroots revolution than a founding father of modern terrorism. Carter's ambassador to the UN, Andrew Young, said "Khomeini will eventually be hailed as a saint." Carter's Iranian ambassador, William Sullivan, said, "Khomeini is a Gandhi-like figure." Carter adviser James Bill proclaimed in a Newsweek interview on February 12, 1979 that Khomeini was not a mad mujahid, but a man of "impeccable integrity and honesty."

The shah was terrified of Carter. He told his personal confidant, "Who knows what sort of calamity he [Carter] may unleash on the world?"

Let's look at the results of Carter's misguided liberal policies: the Islamic Revolution in Iran; the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan (Carter's response was to boycott the 1980 Moscow Olympics); the birth of Osama bin Laden's terrorist organization; the Iran-Iraq War, which cost the lives of millions dead and wounded; and yes, the present war on terrorism and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

WHEN CARTER entered the political fray in 1976, America was still riding the liberal wave of anti-Vietnam War emotion. Carter asked for an in-depth report on Iran even before he assumed the reins of government and was persuaded that the shah was not fit to rule Iran. 1976 was a banner year for pacifism: Carter was elected president, Bill Clinton became attorney-general of Arkansas, and Albert Gore won a place in the Tennessee House of Representatives.

In his anti-war pacifism, Carter never got it that Khomeini, a cleric exiled to Najaf in Iraq from 1965-1978, was preparing Iran for revolution. Proclaiming "the West killed God and wants us to bury him," Khomeini's weapon of choice was not the sword but the media. Using tape cassettes smuggled by Iranian pilgrims returning from the holy city of Najaf, he fueled disdain for what he called gharbzadegi ("the plague of Western culture").

Carter pressured the shah to make what he termed human rights concessions by releasing political prisoners and relaxing press censorship. Khomeini could never have succeeded without Carter. The Islamic Revolution would have been stillborn.

Gen. Robert Huyser, Carter's military liaison to Iran, once told me in tears: "The president could have publicly condemned Khomeini and even kidnapped him and then bartered for an exchange with the [American Embassy] hostages, but the president was indignant. 'One cannot do that to a holy man,' he said."

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has donned the mantle of Ayatollah Khomeini, taken up bin Laden's call, and is fostering an Islamic apocalyptic revolution in Iraq with the intent of taking over the Middle East and the world.

Jimmy Carter became the poster boy for the ideological revolution of the 1960s in the West, hell bent on killing the soul of America. The bottom line: Carter believed then and still does now is that evil really does not exist; people are basically good; America should embrace the perpetrators and castigate the victims.

IN THE '60S it was mass rebellion after the assassinations of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King. When humanity confronts eternity, the response is always rebellion or repentance. The same ideologues who fought to destroy the soul of America with the "God is dead" movement in the 1960s are now running the arts, the universities, the media, the State Department, Congress, and Senate, determined more then ever to kill the soul of America while the East attempts to kill the body. Carter's world view defines the core ideology of the Democratic Party.

What is going on in Iraq is no mystery to those of us who have had our fingers on the pulse of both Iran and Iraq for decades. The Iran-Iraq war was a war of ideologies. Saddam Hussein saw himself as an Arab leader who would defeat the non-Arab Persians. Khomeini saw it as an opportunity to export his Islamic Revolution across the borders to the Shi'ites in Iraq and then beyond to the Arab countries.

Throughout the war both leaders did everything possible to incite the inhabitants of each country to rebel - precisely what Iran is doing in Iraq today. Khomeini encouraged the Shi'ites across the border to remove Saddam from power and establish an Islamic republic like in Iran.

Carter's belief that every crisis can be resolved with diplomacy - and nothing but diplomacy - now permeates the Democratic Party. Unfortunately, Carter is wrong.

There are times when evil must be openly confronted and defeated.

KHOMEINI HAD the help of the PLO in Iran. They supplied weapons and terrorists to murder Iranians and incite mobs in the streets. No wonder Yasser Arafat was hailed as a friend of Khomeini after he seized control of Iran and was given the Israeli Embassy in Teheran with the PLO flag flying overhead.

The Carter administration scrambled to assure the new regime that the United States would maintain diplomatic ties with Iran. But on April 1, 1979 the greatest April Fools' joke of all time was played, as Khomeini proclaimed it the first day of the government of God.

In February 1979 Khomeini had boarded an Air France flight to return to Teheran with the blessing of Jimmy Carter. The moment he arrived, he proclaimed: "I will kick his teeth in" - referring to then prime minister Shapour Bakhtiar, who was left in power with a US pledge of support. He was assassinated in Paris by Iranian agents in 1991.

I sat in the home of Gen. Huyser, who told me the shah feared he would lose the country if he implemented Carter's polices. Carter had no desire to see the shah remain in power. He really believed that a cleric - whose Islamist fanaticism he did not understand in the least - would be better for human rights and Iran.

He could have changed history by condemning Khomeini and getting the support of our allies to keep him out of Iran.

The writer is a New York Times best-selling author. His newest book is The Final Move Beyond Iraq. www.beyondiraq.com
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: H.I.M Shah of Iran last interview ,Panama (jan.1980) Part I Reply with quote

Watch H.I.M Shah of Iran last interview ,Panama (jan.1980) Part I

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT1Xx_eh1g8
January 1980, Contadora Island, Pananma.

After one year of exile,Mohammad Reza Pahlavi gives his very last interview with David Frost on ABC 20/20.

The Shah clearly explains that the so called Iranian ''revolution'' was a long planned conspiracy.

In the mid-70s, a CIA project called Green Belt was elaborated (green=colour of Islam).
The Green Belt project's target was to surround the former Soviet Union with islamic religious regimes. The CIA believed that Islamists would be easier to control... The Green Belt project included the overthrow of the Shah,and the suport of Afghan guerillas(Mojahedin) against the Soviets.

Now, 27 years later, it is obvious that this was one of the biggest mistake of American Intelligence.
9/11 is a direct consequence of the Iranian Revolution, and therefore the Green Belt project.

The Shah truely loved his country. He actually loved Iran more than Iranians...

May his soul rest in peace.

(poor audio/video quality, sorry)
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: ABOUT LIVE EARTH Reply with quote

Watch Live Earth Concert Now
http://liveearth.msn.com/concerts

Must Watch Video: Live Earth Concerts 07.07.07 and Stop Global Warming

liveearth.org wrote:

http://www.liveearth.org/event.php

Live Earth is a 24-hour, 7-continent concert series taking place on 7/7/07 that will bring together more than 100 music artists and 2 billion people to trigger a global movement to solve the climate crisis.

Live Earth will reach this worldwide audience through an unprecedented global media architecture covering all media platforms - TV, radio, Internet and wireless channels.

Live Earth marks the beginning of a multi-year campaign led by the Alliance for Climate Protection, The Climate Group and other international organizations to drive individuals, corporations and governments to take action to solve global warming. Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore is the Chair of the Alliance and Partner of Live Earth.

Live Earth was founded by Kevin Wall, the Worldwide Executive Producer of Live 8, an event that brought together one of the largest audiences in history to combat poverty. Wall formed a partnership with Al Gore and the Alliance for Climate Protection to ensure that Live Earth inspires behavioral changes long after 7/7/07.

Live Earth will stage official concerts at Giants Stadium in New York; Wembley Stadium in London; Aussie Stadium in Sydney; Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro; the Coca-Cola Dome in Johannesburg; Makuhari Messe in Tokyo; the Oriental Pearl Tower in Shanghai; and HSH Nordbank Arena in Hamburg.

Live Earth concerts will be broadcast to a live worldwide audience by MSN at www.LiveEarth.MSN.com.

With support from the U.S. Green Building Council, creators of the LEED Green Building Rating System, Live Earth will implement new Green Event Guidelines. All Live Earth venues will be designed and constructed by a team of sustainability engineers who will address the environmental and energy management challenges of each concert site, as well as the operations of sponsors, partners and other Live Earth affiliates. Each venue will not only be designed to maintain a minimum environmental impact, but will showcase the latest state-of-the-art energy efficiency, on-site power generation, and sustainable facilities management practices.

Live Earth is a project of the SOS campaign , which is using a powerful multimedia platform - films, television, radio, Internet, books, wireless and others - to move people to combat the climate crisis.

Live Earth will be transmitted worldwide, from EIGHT cities (New York, London, Johannesburg, Rio de Janeiro, Shanghai, Tokyo, Sydney, and Hamburg) by Intelsat (www.intelsat.com) using its industry-leading network of Satellite and terrestrial facilities in standard and high definition, across multiple media channels - TV, radio, Internet and wireless channels.

On July 7th, Live Earth concerts will be streamed live by MSN at www.LiveEarth.MSN.com.

Check back soon for a more expansive list of International Broadcast Partners.

ABOUT LIVE EARTH
http://liveearth.msn.com/about/factsheet

Live Earth is a 24-hour, 7-continent concert series of 7/7/07 that will bring together more than 150 music artists and 2 billion people to inspire a global movement to "Answer the Call" and combat the climate crisis.

Click here to get tickets and transportation information.

OFFICIAL CONCERTS AND SCHEDULE

OFFICIAL CONCERTS
Live Earth New York
Live Earth London
Live Earth Sydney
Live Earth Rio de Janeiro
Live Earth Tokyo
Live Earth Shanghai
Live Earth Johannesburg
Live Earth Hamburg LOCAL START
2:30 p.m. 7/7
1:30 p.m. 7/7
11:10 a.m. 7/7
4:00 p.m. 7/7
12:00 p.m. 7/7
7:00 p.m. 7/7
6:00 p.m. 7/7
2:00 p.m. 7/7
USA START (EDT)
2:30 p.m. 7/7
8:30 a.m. 7/7
9:10 p.m. 7/6
3:00 p.m. 7/7
11:00 p.m. 7/6
7:00 a.m. 7/7
12:00 p.m. 7/7
8:00 a.m. 7/7

SPECIAL BROADCAST EVENTS
To-ji Temple in Kyoto, Japan
Rothera Research Station, Antarctica

(All times subject to change) LOCAL START
11:00 p.m. 7/7
TBA
USA START (EDT)
10:00 a.m. 7/7
TBA

CONCERT PROGRAMS
(All programming and running orders subject to change)

LIVE EARTH NEW YORK at Giants Stadium (not representative of running order; TBA)
AFI
AKON
ALICIA KEYS
BON JOVI
DAVE MATTHEWS BAND
FALL OUT BOY
JOHN MAYER
KANYE WEST
KEITH URBAN
KELLY CLARKSON
KT TUNSTALL
LUDACRIS
MELISSA ETHERIDGE
ROGER WATERS
SMASHING PUMPKINS
TAKING BACK SUNDAY
THE POLICE

LIVE EARTH LONDON at Wembley Stadium (not representative of running order; TBA)
BEASTIE BOYS
BLACK EYED PEAS
BLOC PARTY
CORINNE BAILEY RAE
DAMIEN RICE
DAVID GRAY
DURAN DURAN
FOO FIGHTERS
GENESIS
JAMES BLUNT
JOHN LEGEND
KASABIAN
KEANE
MADONNA
METALLICA
PAOLO NUTINI
PUSSYCAT DOLLS
RAZORLIGHT
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
SNOW PATROL
SPINAL TAP
TERRA NAOMI

LIVE EARTH SYDNEY at Aussie Stadium
BLUE KING BROWN
TONI COLLETTE & THE FINISH
SNEAKY SOUND SYSTEM
GHOSTWRITERS
PAUL KELLY
ESKIMO JOE
MISSY HIGGINS
JOHN BUTLER TRIO
WOLFMOTHER
JACK JOHNSON
CROWDED HOUSE

LIVE EARTH HAMBURG at HSH Nordbank Arena
SHAKIRA
SNOOP DOGG
ROGER CICERO
MIA
SASHA
STEFAN GWILDIS
SILBERMOND
MICHAEL MITTERMEIER
JAN DELAY
ENRIQUE IGLESIAS
KATIE MELUA
REAMONN
LOTTO KING KARL
MANDO DIAO
JULI
CHRIS CORNELL

LIVE EARTH TOKYO at Makuhari Messe
GENKI ROCKETS
RIZE
AYAKA
AI OTSUKA
AI
ABINGDON BOYS SCHOOL
COCCO
LINKIN PARK
KUMI KODA
RIHANNA

LIVE EARTH JOHANNESBURG at the Coca-Cola Dome
THE SOWETO GOSPEL CHOIR
BAABA MAAL
ZOLA
THE PARLOTONES
VUSI MAHLASELA
ANGELIQUE KIDJO
JOSS STONE
UB40

LIVE EARTH SHANGHAI at the Oriental Pearl Tower
EVONNE HSU
ANTHONY WONG
SOLER
HUANG XIAO MING
12 GIRLS BAND
JOEY YUNG
WINNIE HSIN
SARAH BRIGHTMAN
EASON CHAN
ARTISTS FROM THE POPULAR TELEVISION
PROGRAMS "MY HERO" AND "MY SHOW"

LIVE EARTH RIO DE JANEIRO at Copacabana Beach
XUXA
JOTA QUEST
VANESSA DA MATTA
MV BILL
MARCELO D2
PHARRELL WILLIAMS
O RAPPA
MACY GRAY
JORGE BEN JOR
LENNY KRAVITZ

LIVE EARTH KYOTO (Special Broadcast Event)
(not representative of running order; TBA)
BONNIE PINK
MICHAEL NYMAN
RIP SLYME
UA
YELLOW MAGIC ORCHESTRA

Introduction:

The perspective we get on Earth, our planet appears to be big and sturdy with an endless ocean of air. From space, astronauts often get the impression that the Earth is small with a thin, fragile layer of atmosphere. For a space traveler, the distinguishing Earth features are the blue waters, brown and green land masses and white clouds set against a black background. We should love and respect our small beautiful mother earth planet.
Many dream of traveling in space and viewing the wonders of the universe. In reality all of us are space travelers. Our spaceship is the planet Earth, traveling at the speed of 108,000 kilometers (67,000 miles) an hour. In order to control unlimited human greed and power in this century we must educate ourselves that as long as men can not create self sufficient spaceship like earth we must be wise how we use the earth resources and men is not the only owner of this spaceship.
Global warming is a real and alarming event that is not being given the attention it deserves - awareness of this problem by public is the key for finding solution and avoiding to get worse than what it is Bleakest report ever on global warming
Almost 6 decades of cheap petroleum have had devastating effects on both the demand and the supply side of the world's energy balance. The great conservation efforts, originally launched in the aftermath of the 1973 Arab oil embargo and the resulting explosion in oil prices, have been abandoned. By 1975 even Americans, with their passion for large cars, were buying mostly so-called compacts with four-cylinder engines, and the smallest cars on the market were the ones most in demand.
We have to wonder what future generations are going to say about us if we can not stop this stupidity of careless free world politicians who are directly responsible for Global Warming of No Point of Return , this madness of our generation will get the blame for letting it happen. The Free World governments wrong greedy corrupt energy policies, our Cars, our City Planning , our Home Buildings, our office Buildings … are all based on cheap oil and energy with endless supply of energy without considering any side effects and consequences.

Watch Superb 30 Seconds Question By American Family For Presidential Candidates

Global Warming Facts by the Numbers Chilling statistics to Think About :
Source URL: http://www.environmentaldefense.org/article.cfm?contentID=4981
* 1 Rank of 2005 as hottest year on record (tied with 1998), according to NASA.
* 100% Increase in intensity and duration of hurricanes and tropical storms since the 1970's, according to a 2005 MIT study.
* $100 Billion Estimate of damage caused by hurricanes hitting the U.S. coast in 2005 alone, according to the National Climatic Data Center.
* 2030 Year by which Glacier National Park will have no glaciers left, according to the U.S. Geological Survey predictions.
* 400,000 Square miles of Arctic sea ice that have melted in the last 30 years (roughly the size of Texas), threatening polar bear habitats and further accelerating global warming worldwide, according to the Arctic Climate Impact Assessment.
* 15-37% Amount of plant and animal species that global warming could wipe out by 2050.

Video Clip Global Warming: Point of No Return?
http://community.activistchat.com/kickapps/service/displayMediaPlayPage.kickAction?mediaType=VIDEO&mediaId=57786&as=4685

Past 30 Years Carbon Dioxide Increase :

Source URL: http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/

Why and How did we get here with Global Warming and Islamist Mess?
Source URL: http://www.bookrags.com/1973_oil_crisis
The West could not continue to increase its energy use 5% annually, pay low oil prices, yet sell inflation-priced goods to the petroleum producers in the Third World. This was stressed by the Shah of Iran, whose nation was the world's second-largest exporter of oil and the closest ally of the United States in the Middle East at the time. "Of course [the world price of oil] is going to rise," the Shah told the New York Times in 1973. "Certainly! And how...; You [Western nations] increased the price of wheat you sell us by 300%, and the same for sugar and cement...; You buy our crude oil and sell it back to us, redefined as petrochemicals, at a hundred times the price you've paid to us...; It's only fair that, from now on, you should pay more for oil. Let's say ten times more."[2]

Characteristic Candor
Short Video Clip of Shah's Message to the Free Leaders Wake Up Call For Taking Too Many Sleeping Pills were ignored and After 33 Years Today We can see the result of Free World Leaders Mistakes

http://community.activistchat.com/kickapps/service/displayMediaPlayPage.kickAction?mediaType=VIDEO&mediaId=43795&as=4685

Secretary of the Treasury William E. Simon Said "The Shah is a nut." who is pushing for higher and higher oil prices Monday, Jul. 29, 1974
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,911453,00.html

After 30 years of major Wars in Middle East, Islamist Terrorism and environmental disaster for planet earth the Environmentalist And Global Warming activists are considering elected Free World leaders and Neo Colonialists who ignored the facts as real NUT who were not faithful to the American founding fathers vision, principle, spirit of freedom, US constitution which are defined as below:

1- Have a secular democracy purpose
2- Have a Human Rights purpose
3- Have a Free Society purpose
4- Have a primary effect to increase freedom at global level.
5- Have the element of War Of Ideas to expand public awareness, education and expansion of truth.
6- Have an element of Freedom of Choice
7- Applying the U.S.A. Supreme Court accepted "Lemon test," to foreign policy decisions, strategy and conduct. According to the "Lemon test," in order to be constitutional, a law or public act must: a) Have a secular purpose. b) Have a primary effect that neither advances nor inhibits religion. c) Not result in excessive governmental entanglement with religion.
8- Move towards better unified global fair Justice System.

Over 2500 years ago The Ethical Persian Empire created by Cyrus The Great with the simple philosophy of Good Words, Good Thoughts and Good Deeds based on Human Rights and in past 30 years G8 countries policy towards Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan and others was based on Bad Words, Bad Thoughts, Bad Deeds, Extreme Greed , Ignored Human Rights, Not Support Secular Democracy Bribe and Support Islamic Fascist Occupiers Of Iran for Cheap Oil , exploitation of their resources and selling Arms for short term profit…..

Shah Of Iran like all other leaders of world is not without mistakes and one of his mistake was accepting wrong advise from both US and UK leaders not to give political freedom to Iranian people while allowing the Mullahs and Islamists to operate freely for wrong westeren fear factor from communism buble ….

After 60 years of free world leaders careless mistakes, it is time to remember Shah of Iran as honorable man of peace with correct policy and vision regarding Oil prices and if the free world leaders had accepted his correct vision the world would not face with the kind of Global Warming and Point Of No Return that we are facing today, Islamist Mafia network…
The Islamist Mafia Terror Networks started with planned and plotted Islamist Revolution coup in Iran , which directly connected to 2 Afghanistan Wars, 3 Iraqi Wars, Iran-Iraq War, Sept 11, Islamist Terrorism ....
The elected free world leaders and UN might not be able to solve the complex Global Warming problem in short period of time however they have good chance to stop expansion of Islamist Mafia terror network cancer now if we focus on regime change in Iran and stop appeasing Islamist minority in Iran and try our best to replace the Islamist Mafia system in Iran with Free Society and secular democracy before it becomes too late …. Accepting that Mr. Simon, and other Free World leaders who all failed us in past 30 years by ignoring the known facts is opening the new window for better understanding and strategy in future if we can increase public awareness for TRUTH without any dogma, hidden agenda and beginning of new Era …

Admitting to A Problem, Root Causes and Accepting Mistakes Are The Best Steps Toward Finding A Better Solution In Future
Are They Hearing Us After 30 Years?
7007 ActivistChat

*** Please Don't Forget Save Dolphins From Japanese Massacre ***

Must Watch: KILLING DOLPHINS IN JAPAN FOR FOOD Video
Fight To Save Taiji Dolphins Video Clip
Must Watch Educational Scientific Research Video: Dolphins Are Deep Thinkers Video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2892089687892750814&q=DOLPHINS
Killer Whale Trainer extraodinaire, John ....
Blue Whale

Petition 43: Stop the dolphin and whale killings (brutal slaughter) in Taiji

Sign the Petition -
View Current Signatures

http://www.petitiononline.com/golfinho/petition.html

Last edited by cyrus on Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Petitions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: