[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engineering An Empire: The Persians

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmirN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Engineering An Empire: The Persians Reply with quote

Don’t miss the History Channel’s show airing tomorrow, Monday, Dec 4th. “Engineering An Empire: The Persians.”

I only hope that they will present it in an unbiased and factual way, unlike the typical way that Persia’s history has been depicted by many Hellenophilic Westerners.

Either way, let’s watch.
I am Dariush the Great King, King of Kings, King of countries containing all kinds of men, King in this great earth far and wide, son of Hystaspes, an Achaemenian, a Persian, son of a Persian, an Aryan, having Aryan lineage

Naqshe Rostam
Cyrizian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it'll be very well researched and put together. THC is very unbiased. They did one a while back called "Secrets of archeology - At the court of the king of kings" and it was incredibly well done! They used computer generated models to show persepolis and shoosh as they were in the 4th century B.C. ABSOLUTELY JAW DROPPING! Made me wish I had lived during those times - away from all the islamofascits of today... Crying or Very sad
AmirN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I liked it.

The focus was on Iranian engineering marvels during the Achaemenid era. None of the information presented was new to me, but I did appreciate it because I’m sure it was new to many Persians and non-Persians alike. Since the HC is a relatively highly watched station, I am glad that the information was portrayed to so many on a relatively grand scale.

In summary, for those that missed the program, it hit on the following Persian engineering achievements:

1. The Qanat system – the first ever constructed water delivery system. This is a subterranean construction that channels water from an underground source to settlements, crops, etc. It is the underground equivalent of the Roman aqueduct system, but better because it minimizes water loss to evaporation – which is especially important in hot, dry climates. Note that this achievement was implemented about 500 years prior to the Romans’ aqueducts.

2. The Royal Road – the very first sturdy road of the world, connecting Susa in Southern Iran to Sardis in Western Turkey. No such road existed prior to its time, both in terms of length and usefulness. The road was constructed for 3 purposes (which the program did not explain, but may seem obvious to most). One: to expedite commerce, as this road was used extensively as a main trade route connecting east to west. Two: communication, so that the vast empire could remain administratively connected. Three: to dispatch armies quickly as needed to the poles of the empire.

3. Persepolis – the jewel of the Persian Empire. The magnificence of its architecture, its grandeur, and the perfection of its columns which are nothing less than a wonder.

4. The Mausoleum at Helicarnassus – one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. The Mausoleum was built for Mausolus, a Persian satrap after whom the word mausoleum was named. A true architectural beauty of magnificent artistic detail.

5. The Persian forerunner to the Suez canal – the first time the Mediterranean and the Red Sea were connected was when Dariush the Great carved that canal. This was the first canal project of the world.

6. Military engineering – the first ever use of a pontoon bridge. First, under Dariush, to cross the Hellespont, and repeated again under Xerxes for the same purpose: to invade Greece. The massive Persian navy was laid side by side, then stabilized by cables, and a road built over them to allow such massive armies to cross one of the most turbulent and choppy waterways of the world.

Of course, these were not the only Persian engineering marvels, but they were the most significant ones. In that aspect, I think the HC did a good job of covering what it set out to cover.

Within the show a very positive attitude was portrayed regarding the Persian Empire. Its major kings (Kourosh, Dariush, and Xerxes) were incorporated within the timeline. All were rightly recognized for their great achievements; Cyrus especially. The general attitude of the Persians towards freedom, tolerance of ethnic groups and conquered cultures, and religious tolerance were explained. One historian mentioned that Cyrus is one of the very few in history that truly deserves the name “Great.”

All in all, the Persian Empire was portrayed in the true positive light that it deserves. This is not unusual for us Persians, but this is very new to non-Persians, considering the fact that until the very recent past every time the Persian Empire has been mentioned by Western historians it has been portrayed with an erroneous Greek bias, and painted simply as the villain that was the enemy of Greece. It’s good to see that a general trend is starting to be set away from such a false depiction.

What is most significant in my mind is that this is the first time that a show on the HC (or any other major station for that matter) has been prepared which was solely based on the Persian Empire. Many prior shows had accounts of the Persians, but always within the context of something or someone else; namely the Greeks. That “first” is in itself very exciting.
I am Dariush the Great King, King of Kings, King of countries containing all kinds of men, King in this great earth far and wide, son of Hystaspes, an Achaemenian, a Persian, son of a Persian, an Aryan, having Aryan lineage

Naqshe Rostam
Cyrizian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it also. I liked that it also explained the mercifulness of the ancient persians to their enemies. How uncharacteristic it was that Xerxes burned Athens. And how Xerxes immediately regreted it and the next day order that the city be rebuilt. Also how Cyrus was loved universally by his enemies. This, of course, is the greatest of his accomplishments in my mind. Overall it was an excellent program and Im sure non-persians found it very interesting.

Cyrizian
blank

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmirN wrote:
Overall I liked it.

The focus was on Iranian engineering marvels during the Achaemenid era. None of the information presented was new to me, but I did appreciate it because I’m sure it was new to many Persians and non-Persians alike. Since the HC is a relatively highly watched station, I am glad that the information was portrayed to so many on a relatively grand scale.

In summary, for those that missed the program, it hit on the following Persian engineering achievements:

1. The Qanat system – the first ever constructed water delivery system. This is a subterranean construction that channels water from an underground source to settlements, crops, etc. It is the underground equivalent of the Roman aqueduct system, but better because it minimizes water loss to evaporation – which is especially important in hot, dry climates. Note that this achievement was implemented about 500 years prior to the Romans’ aqueducts.

2. The Royal Road – the very first sturdy road of the world, connecting Susa in Southern Iran to Sardis in Western Turkey. No such road existed prior to its time, both in terms of length and usefulness. The road was constructed for 3 purposes (which the program did not explain, but may seem obvious to most). One: to expedite commerce, as this road was used extensively as a main trade route connecting east to west. Two: communication, so that the vast empire could remain administratively connected. Three: to dispatch armies quickly as needed to the poles of the empire.

3. Persepolis – the jewel of the Persian Empire. The magnificence of its architecture, its grandeur, and the perfection of its columns which are nothing less than a wonder.

4. The Mausoleum at Helicarnassus – one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. The Mausoleum was built for Mausolus, a Persian satrap after whom the word mausoleum was named. A true architectural beauty of magnificent artistic detail.

5. The Persian forerunner to the Suez canal – the first time the Mediterranean and the Red Sea were connected was when Dariush the Great carved that canal. This was the first canal project of the world.

6. Military engineering – the first ever use of a pontoon bridge. First, under Dariush, to cross the Hellespont, and repeated again under Xerxes for the same purpose: to invade Greece. The massive Persian navy was laid side by side, then stabilized by cables, and a road built over them to allow such massive armies to cross one of the most turbulent and choppy waterways of the world.

Of course, these were not the only Persian engineering marvels, but they were the most significant ones. In that aspect, I think the HC did a good job of covering what it set out to cover.

Within the show a very positive attitude was portrayed regarding the Persian Empire. Its major kings (Kourosh, Dariush, and Xerxes) were incorporated within the timeline. All were rightly recognized for their great achievements; Cyrus especially. The general attitude of the Persians towards freedom, tolerance of ethnic groups and conquered cultures, and religious tolerance were explained. One historian mentioned that Cyrus is one of the very few in history that truly deserves the name “Great.”

All in all, the Persian Empire was portrayed in the true positive light that it deserves. This is not unusual for us Persians, but this is very new to non-Persians, considering the fact that until the very recent past every time the Persian Empire has been mentioned by Western historians it has been portrayed with an erroneous Greek bias, and painted simply as the villain that was the enemy of Greece. It’s good to see that a general trend is starting to be set away from such a false depiction.

What is most significant in my mind is that this is the first time that a show on the HC (or any other major station for that matter) has been prepared which was solely based on the Persian Empire. Many prior shows had accounts of the Persians, but always within the context of something or someone else; namely the Greeks. That “first” is in itself very exciting.

Also the special Persian Gardens, that later was copied in Europe. I believe what was the most interesting to me, in terms of social values, was when Greeks defeated Persians in the sea battle. When most of the ships were retreating, there was one ship, the Captain of the Ship was a female I think her name was Artemis? she actually managed to ram into a Greek ship drawn it, and then flee, they were not able to catch her. I believe she was decorated with a special honor after reaching her homeland-Persia. This basically tells me how highly females were regarded in the ancient Persia; and their equality in every aspect of life. Something that was taken away from them by the introduction of islam...
mary_c

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKN-gZuSH2o&mode=related&search=
gosh I'm glad this documentary was made Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: