[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prince Reza Pahlavi: Despicable Ahmadinejad, Ignorant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Payam Reza Pahlavi beh javanane delavare team melli football Iran:

http://www.rezapahlavi.org/messages/worldcup2006.html

"Lotfan dar pakhshe har che gostardeh-tare in payam ma ra yari namaeed"

RP Secretariat
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Iran on the Potomac Reply with quote

Iran on the Potomac

June 25, 2006
The Washington Post
Laura Rozen

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/23/AR2006062301345.html

As the Bush administration frets over Iran's nuclear program, Iranian dissidents are descending on Washington, seeking help in fostering regime change back home. Just one problem: The exiles can't agree on a strategy.

Iran's oppositionists are divided over what kind of government should follow the Islamic republic, who should lead it and how the United States can help them bring about regime change in Tehran. There is no Iranian equivalent to the Iraqi National Congress, and the exiles have yet to coalesce around a platform or leader. Herewith a brief guide to the leading Iranian activists in town:

THE MONARCHISTS' HOPE

Reza Pahlavi , 45,

the son of the late shah of Iran, advocates nonviolent regime change. A U.S.-trained pilot, Pahlavi lives in Potomac and keeps an office in McLean. His followers, many of whom fled Iran after the shah's overthrow in 1979, still dream that Pahlavi will play a leadership role if Iran adopts a pro-Western secular government. Pahlavi and his advisers have had ties to U.S. officials dating to the Reagan administration, when he was reportedly involved with CIA programs to dislodge Iran's Islamist regime. More recently, Iran hawks close to the Pentagon and the vice president's office have tapped into Pahlavi's circle, seeking ways to undermine Tehran. Shahriar Ahy, Pahlavi's MIT-educated political adviser, is a key force seeking to unite the Iranian opposition abroad.

THE INSIDER-TURNED-DISSIDENT

Mohsen Sazegara , 51,

a former aide to Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini and founder of the Revolutionary Guard, became disillusioned with the Islamic Revolution, quit the government in 1989, started reform-minded newspapers and was later imprisoned. After his eyesight suffered because of two hunger strikes, Sazegara sought medical treatment last year in the United States, where he continued to organize a petition demanding a referendum on Iran's constitution as a means of regime change. He has met informally with State Department officials -- whom he counsels against anointing a single exile leader -- and has strong links to student activist groups back home. He is close to Akbar Ganji, one of Iran's leading dissident writers.

THE SECULAR DEMOCRAT

Amir Abbas Fakhravar , 30, a former medical student, served time in Iran's notorious Evin prison after publishing an award-winning book, "This Place Is Not a Ditch," and launching a pro-regime-change student group. He has been championed recently by neocon thinker Richard Perle, who organized a private lunch for Fakhravar at the American Enterprise Institute last month, attended by Pentagon and State Department officials.

THE PRAGMATIST

Trita Parsi , 31, president of the National Iranian American Council, calls for greater U.S. engagement and business ties with Iran. Parsi is a former adviser to the only Farsi-speaking member of the House, Rep. Bob Ney (R-Ohio), and recently completed a PhD at Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies, studying under Francis Fukuyama and Carter-era national security adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski. The NIAC helped persuade a dozen conservative House members to sign a letter to President Bush earlier this month calling for unconditional negotiations with Iran's regime.

THE MILITANT VOICE

Alireza Jafarzadeh , 49, is the longtime Washington spokesman for the National Council of the Resistance of Iran, the political wing of the Mujaheddin-e Khalq, an anti-regime militant group supported for years by Saddam Hussein. MEK has been on the State Department's list of terrorist organizations since 1997. In 2002, Jafarzadeh and the group announced details of Iran's previously unknown nuclear program. With NCRI's Washington office shut down since 2003, Jafarzadeh has reinvented himself as an expert commentator on Iran's nuclear program. The MEK is reviled by Iran but it has support from the Iran Policy Committee, a group of conservative retired U.S. military officers and Reagan-era officials, who say Washington should work with the MEK to overthrow the Tehran regime.

-- Laura Rozen

senior correspondent, the American Prospect
blank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is amazing to see a traitor to Iran, Sazgara, wants to "lead" Iran... It would be like if Germans brought in a former Gestapo and aid to Hitler to lead the new Germany.
Trita Pari Twisted Evil president of the NIAC and the most powerful IRI organization lobbyists within the US. A raghead mentality in western clothes. Interestingly enough, the article gives away the names of his co-horts like Bob Ney & Brezizinski... you can see iri lobbyists influence, unfortunately, in the US Congress and Senate.
Jaffarzadeh..... self-explanatory, an MKO.... anyone dissatisfied with islamic republic and wants some Commi mixed with it can vote for Jaffarzadeh...............

Looks like there are only two viable candidates, Reza Pahlavi, who as a monarch, would not be able to participate in the political arenas, but Fakharavar as his prime minister or president (like Spain) can do the job.

Last edited by blank on Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
blank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"... tanha dar rastay-e yek etelaf-e bozorg melli ast keh pirouzi bar doshmanan hassel mishavad va nahayatan azadi bedast miAyad!..." :

http://www.rezapahlavi.org/messages/18Tir1385.html

"Lotfan dar pakhshe har che gostardeh-tare in payam ma ra yari namaeed"

Dabir Khaneh Reza Pahlavi

Powered by Subscribe Me Lite (http://www.cgiscriptcenter.com)
blank

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reza Pahlavi's interview with VOA TV, Khabarha va Nazarha:

http://www.rezapahlavi.org/audiovideo/VOA-TV-khabarhavanazarha-July152006.html

Please forward this information to friends and family.

RP Secretariat

Reza Pahlavi's interview with VOA TV, Mize Gerdy ba Shoma:

http://www.rezapahlavi.org/audiovideo/VOA-TV-MizehGerdibaShoma15July2006.html

Please forward this information to friends and family.

RP Secretariat
blank

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reza Pahlavi: Tanha rahe, na tanha behzisty va nejate keshvare ma va mardom Iran, balkeh bazgasht beh sobat va amnyat va taraqy va pishraft va osoolan solhe va sobate jahani in ast keh nezame jomhori Islami bayasti az beyn beravad va jayash yek hokoomate democratic dar Iran piadeh shavad va anham beh daste mordom Iran...

Baraye moshahde in mosahebe be link zir morajee namayid:

http://www.rezapahlavi.org/audiovideo/VOA-TV-MizehGerdibaShoma23August2006.html

"Lotfan dar pakhshe har che gostardeh-tare in mosahebe ma ra yari namaeed"

RP Secretariat
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Interview: Reza Pahlavi on Iran: 'A Race Against Time' Reply with quote

Interview: Reza Pahlavi on Iran: 'A Race Against Time'

August 27, 2006
Newsweek International
Rachel Makabi

What does 'seriously talk' really mean? Will the regime seriously discuss its violations of human rights at home?

Reza Pahlavi was just a teenager in 1979 when an Islamic revolution in Iran ousted his father, the shah. In the years since, Pahlavi, who now lives in Maryland, has been involved with activists both inside Iran and abroad who seek to overthrow the mullahs from power. As the Iranian government continued to stonewall on the nuclear issue—with the United States calling for sanctions despite Iran's offer to "talk seriously"—NEWSWEEK's Rachel Makabi spoke to Pahlavi, 46, to get his thoughts on the standoff, the effectiveness of U.S. policy toward Iran and his ongoing work with Iranian dissidents. Excerpts:

Makabi: What do you make of Iran's latest nuclear proposal?
Pahlavi: The regime's response to [U.N.] Security Council Resolution 1696 was predictable, as it was simply a variation of double talk—a tactic they have now mastered to an art form. What does the regime's offer to "seriously talk" really mean? Will it seriously discuss its violations of human rights at home? Will it seriously discuss its patronage of regional militancy? I think not. [This] is a race against time. Will it get the bomb first, thereby bullying the world into appeasement, or will there be an actual convergence of domestic and international pressures [on the regime]?

What do you think will happen if China or Russia resists imposing sanctions?
Accepting the regime's rejection of the Security Council's demand for an immediate enrichment freeze will erode the prestige and moral authority of the United Nations, which for some time has been in need of rehabilitation. As permanent members, Russia and China bear important responsibility to not weaken the words, actions and authority of the Security Council.

Are you in favor of military intervention?
We need to steer away from the mind-set that either we have to diplomatically negotiate or talk about any kind of military intervention. Neither one can solve the situation. What's obvious is to invest in the people of Iran themselves because you have the most natural ally among the Iranians.

You've long been active with dissidents. What does your involvement entail?
I have been in touch with a number of organizations and groups, within and outside Iran, who are working directly with activists on civil disobedience as well as the treatment of political prisoners. It is very critical that we keep dissidents operating inside.

Can moderate reformists like former president Mohammad Khatami change the system from within?
The idea of reform has been discredited and came to an ultimate dead end. It was unthinkable that this regime could ever reform itself. There is no process of change that could come from within.

So what role do you think the exile community can and should play?
In the short term, the exile community is a natural conduit [to express] what is the state of affairs in Iran to the international community. In the long term, the diaspora has tremendously dedicated and talented individuals who have been quite successful, and this [will be] a very important human aspect for our nation once we recover from this state of repression and liberate our country.

Do you think the regime is close to collapse?
It is completely at odds with what the people of Iran stand for. There is a generational battle taking place. There is a flight of capital from Iran; the people of Iran are clear as to the consequences. They look at it as a whole—our country is going down and all of our resources are being badly managed by corrupt officials. The people of Iran are committed to putting an end to it. This regime will not survive—I have no doubt about that, but it should be at the hands of the Iranian people and not foreign intervention. Right now, we need to help the people help themselves.

What would be the ideal government to replace the existing one?
We will have a constitutional assembly, and within that debate, the Iranian people will determine a final form of government. Our issue is to make sure we have a secular, democratic system.

What role would religion play?
What you see today is a clear example of what happens when religion is directly involved with the government. One should not confuse secularism with something that may sound like you are against religion. It is in everyone's interest to have a clear line of separation.

What role do you see yourself playing?
My only focus today is to bring the country to the point where people can go to the polls and decide their fate and their future. That date, for me, is my finish line. The use I have is based on the Iranian people and whether or not they want me to play a more prominent role or not.

Newsweek International
Sept. 4, 2006 issue
blank

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reza Pahlavi of Iran's Opening Statement at The National Press Club

http://www.rezapahlavi.org/NationalPressClub07092006.html

-- September 7, 2006 --

Ladies and Gentlemen, distinguished guests, Senator Brownback, Congressman Sherman, members of the media; Good morning and thank you for your attendance.

My wife and I are proud to be here today, standing in support of, and lending our voice to the courageous struggle and sacrifice of our compatriots who are resisting and defying, every single day, the repressive clerical regime of Iran.

It honors me to stand here today in the presence of men and women who have endured the most vicious, heinous, tortures and humiliations at the hands of their jailers -- the clerical regime of Iran.

This is an unprecedented gathering; in the past, the coming together of Iranians, with such varied political orientations, has been an uneasy task. Today, however, we stand here together – united, in defiance to the clerical dictatorship holding our homeland hostage.

This is important as it coincides with the Washington visit of Mr. Khatami, who for eight years personally forwarded the agenda of a regime that has inspired, funded, directed and sponsored militancy internationally, and suppression at home.

There are many first hand stories that will be told here today. In the interest of equal time, I ask that you hear and retell these stories as they belong to real victims of atrocities committed under the administration of Mr. Khatami, currently on tour of the United States.

Let it be clear that, regardless of Mr. Khatami's propaganda tour and smiling rhetoric, the true nature of the regime he represents is far different than what he wants you to believe.

Today, Iranians of all walks of life and political persuasion are committed to put and end to militancy, chaos and obscurantism; replacing it with civility, the rule of law and modernity. We seek to liberate our homeland; gain freedom and sovereignty for our compatriots; and herald an era of peace, progress and prosperity, under a secular, democratic government.

l salute and bow my head to the heroic struggles and sacrifices of my brave compatriots and turn the microphone over to them.

Thank you.
blank

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is a statement by Reza Pahlavi at the U.S. Senate followed by a press Newswire:

Senator Santorum, Senator Martinez thank you for inviting me here, thank you especially for holding this meeting in this great house.

My respect for this institution is enormous as it embodies the best of America's promise to the world -- in terms of what liberty and representative democracy means. You see it, and you practice it here everyday; a dream my compatriots -- I am hopeful -- will see in reality someday very, very, soon.

Senator Santorum, over the years your leadership has stood apart when it comes to the issue dearest to 70 million Iranians. You have been among the first and strongest proponents of democracy in Iran and have stood up for freedom wherever it has been suppressed, in Iran or elsewhere around the world.

Senator Martinez, I thank you also for your leadership and am heartened that liberty and freedom are two words particularly close to your heart in view of your heritage, sir, and that of the constituency you so ably represent.

As you have both so well articulated, the dangers and issues confronting us today are very, very real; the biggest question however is how to best deal with the increasingly militant and adventurous regime in Tehran.

Clearly, war is an option rejected and which, as far as I am concerned, must be taken off the table; equally ineffective, is the process of endless diplomacy which has been fruitlessly pursued, now for several years -- with the full prestige, backing and weight of the European Union, Russia, the UN and the United States. The net result of this process has been that the militant clerical regime of Iran is today not only closer to reaching its enrichment objectives, but also recklessly emboldened by the lack of resolve it has seen amongst the practitioners of international diplomacy.

I believe and would like to present for your serious consideration, and sharing with your colleagues, my view on how to best deal with the clerical regime of Iran: It is an integrated three-pronged policy of "Confrontation, Pressure and Support." I believe the regime needs to be confronted where ever it is up to mischief (i.e. Lebanon, Iraq, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia or even right here in the western hemisphere); simultaneously the regime needs to be pressured by way of a progressive set of smart, vigorous and targeted sanctions aimed at the economic, political and personal interests of the regime (hit their pockets where it really matters/blank), not the people; all while, the world will need to provide unapologetic and robust support for the democratic aspirations of the Iranian people.
This is a policy that will without a doubt require international support, but one which need not necessarily be kept hostage to the commercial interests of certain nation-states that have proven less than reliable in terms of standing up to the bullying of the clerical regime.

In closing, I wish to leave you with this thought: Throughout our long and proud history, the Iranian nation has had to, time and again, stand up to, and overcome much adversity. This too, is a passing storm in our long history. We are determined and have no doubt that we will ride this storm to victory -- achieving our goal of liberty, modernity and democracy. Our struggle, however, will become much easier knowing that we will have the unwavering support of nations that choose -- today -- to side with us, in our national quest for democracy.

The time to make that choice is now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Secretariat of Reza Pahlavi

Reza Pahlavi Offers Senators Three-Pronged Approach on Iran; Confront and Pressure the Regime, Support the People

WASHINGTON, Sept. 14 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Hosted by US Senators Rick Santorum (R-PA) and Mel Martinez (R-FL) Reza Pahlavi of Iran affirmed the world needed to focus on the big picture regarding the crisis facing his homeland, proposing an integrated three- pronged policy approach to the clerical regime of Iran. Offering his views to US law makers, he said "the best way to deal with the Iranian regime is by confronting it, pressuring it, at the same time supporting the Iranian people."

Elaborating on his three point policy recommendation, the Iranian opposition leader said "Where ever the regime is up to mischief, it needs to be confronted." Prefacing his second point by emphasizing that meaningful pressure needed to be applied on the regime in such a way as to avoid hurting the Iranian people, he prescribed "a progressive set of smart and vigorous sanctions targeted at the economic, political and personal interests of the regime's inner circle and power base." The third and what he referred to as the most critical point of his policy recommendation was the need for the "free world to provide unapologetic and robust support for the democratic aspirations of the Iranian people."

Rejecting war as a policy option, the former jet fighter pilot said, "the option of war must be taken off the table." Pronouncing "endless diplomacy" as equally ineffective, he said "it has been fruitlessly pursued, with the full weight, backing and prestige of the European Union, Russia, the UN and the United States for several years now, only resulting in the clerical regime's inching closer to its objectives of acquiring WMDs." Pahlavi reminded his audience that the Iranian regime had been dangerously emboldened by "the lack of resolve it has seen amongst practitioners of international diplomacy on Iran."

Agreeing that war was not an option, Senator Santorum said, of Reza Pahlavi: "He is a leading and enthusiastic advocate of the principals of freedom, democracy and human rights for his countrymen;" adding that "Reza Pahlavi has upheld the honor of his country in a time of upheaval and darkness."

Marking the second of such appearances, in recent days, Reza Pahlavi was joined, last week, by Senator Brownback (R-KS) and Congressman Sherman, (D-CA) at a press event, at which the forty six year old Iranian leader introduced torture victims and former political prisoners of the Iranian regime converged in Washington to protest the U.S. tour of former Islamist President Khatami. At that event, Senator Brownback introduced the "Iran Human Rights Act," while Congressman Brad Sherman criticized the Bush administration's approval of Khatami's visit, calling it an appeasing concession to the clerical regime of Iran.

Earlier this summer, as part of his continuous campaign against the clerical regime, Reza Pahlavi was received at the French National Assembly where he addressed over 40 French lawmakers, pressing them and other senior policy makers on issues relating to the democratic movement in his homeland

Asked what role he envisioned for himself, Reza Pahlavi said "my function is that of a catalyst -- raising global attention to our national plight, and helping bring the Iranian opposition together." He added "my goal is to enable my compatriots to participate in an all inclusive, transparent national election, beyond this regime, whereby they can choose their form of government; beyond that, should the Iranian people embrace my vision of a secular, modern and democratic system of constitutional government, I will be honored to serve."

Leading a campaign of political defiance against the militant Islamist regime of Iran, Reza Pahlavi is the former Crown Prince of Iran. He is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force training program, has a political science degree from the University of Southern California and has authored Winds of Change, The Future of Democracy in Iran. He is married and is father to three daughters.

http://www.usnewswire.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Persian Version:
Reza Pahlavi dar tashriheh pishnahad khod beh qanoon gozaran America ghoft keh behtarin rah moghabeleh ba regimeh hakem bar Iran, 'rooyarooey', 'feshar' va dar haman hal poshtibany az mardom Iran ast:

http://www.rezapahlavi.org/USnewswiresRP-Senate09142006-persian.html

"Lotfan dar pakhshe har che gostardeh-tare in matn ma ra yari namaeed"

Dabir khaneh Reza Pahlavi

Last edited by blank on Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Senator Slams 'Phony Negotiations' With Iran Reply with quote

Senator Slams 'Phony Negotiations' With Iran
Kenneth R. Timmerman
Friday, Sept. 15, 2006
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2006/9/14/205414.shtml?s=lh

WASHINGTON -– The United States and its European partners "should end phony negotiations" with Iran over its nuclear program, an influential U.S. senator up for re-election this November said Thursday.

Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., who has been trailing his Democratic challenger, Bob Casey, in opinion polls until recently, said the United States should "increase sanctions" on Iran and "fund, promote and support the pro-democracy movement, both inside and outside Iran."

Speaking with Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Fla., and Reza Pahlavi, son of the former shah of Iran, Santorum called for "free and fair elections" in Iran, and blasted the Iranian regime for "continued action against our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan."

Santorum is the original co-sponsor of the Iran Freedom Support Act, which passed the House overwhelmingly earlier this year and currently has 61 co-sponsors in the Senate. The bill calls for increased sanctions on Iran, and authorizes the State Department to spend up to $10 million per year to assist pro-democracy groups inside Iran and in exile.

Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., blocked similar legislation earlier this year by convincing Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to negotiate with Tehran, not impose sanctions.

"This regime has shown it cannot be trusted," said Pahlavi, who called on Congress to "send a signal" to Tehran and to the Iranian opposition by passing the Santorum legislation.

"We have given diplomacy every chance, and exhausted them," he said, referring to negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program. "The only course that remains is to invest in the people of Iran."

Pahlavi urged the United States "not to cut any deals with the regime," and said that U.S. support for the pro-democracy movement would unleash "a dramatic change" inside Iran.

Just as Pahlavi was appearing at the U.S. Senate with Santorum and Martinez, less than a mile away George Soros and other opponents of the Bush administration were meeting at the Hyatt hotel to urge the administration to cut a deal with Tehran.

Addressing a conference he partially funded that was spearheaded by the New America Foundation, Soros spoke of a "grand bargain" with Tehran that would involve U.S. recognition of Iran, a negotiated end to the nuclear showdown, and a resumption of normal relations between the two countries.

Soros discussed the "grand bargain" with former Iranian President Mohammad Khatami at a private dinner this week in Boston, several sources told NewsMax Thursday.

"Khatami told us that the U.S. must start negotiations with Iran," an Iranian who was present at the dinner said. "He said that Iran was absolutely willing to suspend uranium enrichment -– but not as a precondition to talks."

However, this source added, Khatami said Iran "will not give up enrichment of nuclear fuel" because it does not believe Western promises to supply it with fuel for the Busheir reactor, which has yet to become operational despite 11 years of work by Russian contractors.

"So there is going to be an R&D program, and if you are not willing to accept that, there can be no grand bargain," this source said.

Steven Clemens, director of the American Strategy Program at the New America Foundation, also attended the Khatami dinner with Soros and confirmed those remarks.

The United States has argued consistently that Iran cannot be allowed to develop uranium enrichment technology, since the processes and equipment needed to make fuel for a power reactor can also make weapons-grade material.

Khatami's trip to the United States was planned months ago, said Hooman Madj, a freelance journalist and former music promoter who served as Khatami's advisor and translator during his U.S. stay. "It was a sheer coincidence that he landed at the precise moment [on Aug. 31] when the U.N. deadline for Iran to suspend uranium enrichment kicked in."

Madj said Khatami was surprised when he was asked by Americans about Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's comments that Israel should be wiped off the map. "Khatami said that he had never talked about countries being wiped off the map -– but then said that Palestine has been wiped off the map."

Clemens likened a "grand bargain" with Iran over its nuclear program to "a hail Mary pass. It's not easy to accomplish."

When challenged that Iran's clerical leadership has repeatedly rejected U.S. offers of a "grand bargain," including a multi-year effort by President Clinton, an Iranian who had been with Khatami at the dinner with Soros said that the former Iranian president blamed Clinton for the impasse.

"After [then-Secretary of State] Madeleine Albright apologized for U.S. involvement in the 1953 coup" against the government of Prime Minister Mohammad Mossadeq, "everything was headed toward a rapprochement," the Iranian said. "But Khatami said that Clinton scuttled the deal when he called the Iranian leadership ‘unelected.' That angered the supreme leader, Ayatollah Khamenei, who has held a grudge against the U.S. ever since."

Larry Wilkerson, a former top deputy to former Secretary of State Colin Powell, blasted the Bush administration for missing opportunities to negotiate with the Tehran regime, and warned that "the military options are grim."

He argued that the U.S., through its invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, "has put Iran in the strategic catbird seat" by taking out Tehran's main enemies.

He warned that any military strike on Iran would unite the Iranian people against the U.S., and would provoke Iranian retaliation throughout the Middle East.

"If we use the military instrument, we are going to be in for a horrible shock with the aftermath," Wilkerson said.
Iranian Boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USA must pass Mr Santorum and Brownbacks Iran Freedom act proposal that will give Iranian opposition 100 million dollars. The news that HM Reza Pahlavi was in the senate is one of few good news in recent time. The EU-3 is hopeless, they love the mullahs, USA must deal with Iran alone or face a nuclear Iran. The senate can save Iran by passing Mr Santorums proposal. Unfortunately George W Bush is totally mistaken about how to deal with Iran and Condolezza Rice lost all my respect 3 months ago when she stopped Mr Santorums proposal. In my eyes there is only one treatment for George W Bush for the propagande disease that EU-3, american democrats and mrs Rice put in his brain, the only such rescue is that George W Bush holds a personal meeting with HM Reza Pahlavi, or else he will forever remain mistaken about Iran.
blank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subject: Reza Pahlavi's Speech at the World Affairs Council of Delaware Distinguished guests, ladies and gentlemen, good evening.
I would like to thank the World Affairs Council of Delaware for its kind invitation and warm hospitality.
Tonight, I am particularly pleased to have the opportunity to express my views and exchange ideas about the current situation in my beloved homeland Iran, focussing in particular on the negative role which the Islamic regime continues to play in both the national life of the Iranian nation as well as in regional politics and international affairs.
Also, as this week marks the 27th anniversary of the occupation of the U.S. Embassy in Teheran – an event which is still celebrated annually by the radical leadership in Iran in order to frustrate and antagonize the people and government of the United States – I should like to discuss some ideas as to what can be done to halt and reverse this adverse situation before it becomes an even greater threat to international peace and security.
Hence, it is my hope that I may be able to stimulate this discussion by putting forward an analysis which is less anodyne and more thought provoking.
To achieve this end, it is my intention to start by saying a few words about the Clerical regime’s ongoing nuclear saga and its various menacing policies in the Middle East, before drawing your attention to a number of important domestic issues that have continued to trouble the Iranian people over the course of the past 27 years. I will then conclude by offering my thoughts about the US policy towards Iran – or lack there of – which as it appears, seems more likely to be the case.

Let me start by reminding this distinguished gathering that the recent announcement by North Korea of its defiance of the international community by its successful detonation of a nuclear device is nothing short of the most serious setback for the cause of international security.

It is no exaggeration to suggest that having a rogue state with a reclusive leadership, detached and oblivious to the priorities of its citizenry, in charge of nuclear devices and the means for delivering them to targets thousands of miles away, is simply a frightening prospect.

Under these circumstances, what would no doubt exacerbate matters well beyond any acceptable boundaries, would be the prospect of waking up one morning to hear that a second such state – the fundamentalist regime in Tehran – has also been able to successfully defy the will of the international community by achieving a similar status – irrespective of its continuous assurances that it has at no time, ever, nourished any such ambitions

This scenario, were it to come true, would in all probability be the final straw breaking the back of any attempt to halt the course of nuclear proliferation – particularly in the highly volatile region of the Middle East.

Already, there are legitimate concerns following an announcement by the IAEA that a multitude of oil rich Arab states – including Saudi Arabia, Algeria, and the United Arab Emirates – were giving serious consideration to “going nuclear”, albeit for peaceful purposes – much like Iran – which very few really believe! The need for a nuclear free Middle East is more critical than ever before, and nothing must stand in the way of promoting such an outcome with a hope that, over time, even regional states like Pakistan and Israel may also be swayed to follow a path similar to those taken by countries such as South Africa, Ukraine and Kazakhstan who voluntarily dismantled their nuclear weapons for the sake of greater regional and international peace and security.

Clearly, however, such an outcome will remain a distant dream if the fundamentalist regime in Iran is allowed to continue its making a mockery of international institutions such as the IAEA or the UN Security Council, who have questioned its intentions and sought various diplomatic means to dissuade it from pursuing such a path.
The Islamic regime which has never sought to inform the Iranian people of the national security, foreign policy, and economic or environmental consequences of its nuclear program, is faithfully committed to emulating North Korea, expecting that a nuclear deterrent will enable it to blackmail the international community into inaction, while at the same time prolonging its despotic rule, through its policy of sustained internal repression.

Thus, standing up to Iran’s theocratic dictators, which have long witnessed erosion in their domestic support, including that within the religious establishment, is an absolute imperative which must be addressed now and today, before – like North Korea – it is too late. The difference here being that a nuclear-armed Iran, hostile to budding liberal-democratic values in the Middle East, is a much greater security threat than an already isolated North Korea. It is therefore imperative, that after years of fruitless and time wasting negotiations, the Islamic regime be made to pay a price for its continued intransigence.

For additional perspective, I wish now to say a few words about the objectives of the Islamic regime in the Middle East region, something that is a by-product of its policy of militant anti-Americanism which has served as the hallmark of the Clerical regime’s foreign policy ever since the very inception of the Islamist state in 1979.

By extension, this policy of overt hostility has now come to include the State of Israel, whose extermination has been a repeated cry of the current Islamist president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Ironically, neither Ahmadinejad nor any of his cohorts, particularly in the various paramilitary revolutionary organizations, ever make mention of the intimacy and close collaboration which they had had with the government of Israel, who was widely acknowledged as having been one of the main weapons suppliers for the clerics during the bloody Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s.

Here, I wish to remind this distinguished audience that the advent of Islamist Khomeini in 1979, firmly established Iran as the cradle and bastion of modern day Islamic fundamentalism. Since then, people everywhere when speaking of Iran, have generally associated my homeland with such modern day scourges as the rise of militant Islam and international terrorism.

The terrible hostilities that raged for a month between Hezbollah and Israel, last Summer, underlined a new and undeniable reality concerning the inseparable links that have now come to exist between issues and players in the wider Middle East, and how the Islamic regime in Tehran is actively exploiting regional grievances for promoting its own agenda, using surrogates like Hezbollah and Hamas across the Moslem world.
No matter how you turn the Middle East question, you come back to the all-important question of which is winning – democracy or religious totalitarianism?
in sight!

Some of the West’s best diplomats have been engaged, without making net progress in the Middle East peace process, stopping the rearming of Hizbullah, or thwarting the increased hold of religious militia on Iraqi communities. It is time to recognize that the problem is neither military, nor diplomatic:
First, it has to do with sociology and political psychology in the region. Second, it involves the relationships between religious totalitarians and their regional “Central Banker,” to quote Dr. Rice. No wonder the tools of the State Department and the Pentagon, namely diplomacy and force, have proven mal-adapted to the problem!

The first area explains the problem of democracy and the advantage of these new totalitarians. When a people’s desperate preoccupation is personal security, both physical and economic, the quest for liberty and political participation takes the back seat. They tend to rely on personal relationships within their community, rather than impersonal relations with a distant government. They become fertile soil for the growth of a Hizbullah, Hamas or Dawa that weave themselves into the fibre of the community through personal relationships.

It is someone they know who goes to people’s homes and offers them help with healthcare, education, welfare, security and of course, religious guidance through connections with the Mosque.

It is particularly the displaced and newly urbanized, or those who are barely one or two generations away from their rural or traditional roots and communities, who find relief and membership in a new community – centred around a Mosque – where they can assemble and pray five times a day.

It is the second area that shows the vulnerability of the new totalitarian parties which connect chains of Mosques and create a new social fibre to those who have lost the security of traditional societies.

It is the “Central Banker,” the eye of the religious-totalitarian octopus that is vulnerable. However, all while, the U.S. has been fighting its resilient tentacles.

Just this summer, Iran’s main contribution to Hizbullah was not the training, munitions or intelligence on Israeli plans and movements that Iranian Revolutionary Guards relayed from Syrian communications to the Hizbullah. It was the twelve thousand dollars for each family that lost its home – offered by Hizbullah and finance by Iran. In Lebanon, this made Hizbullah shine compared to the US backed government of Mr. Seniora. Ironically in Iran, however, twelve thousand dollars is six hundred times the salary of masses of Iranian workers who had not been paid for months! A very telling tale was that for the scared, hungry and desperate wives and children of workers arrested in demonstrations throughout Iran, it wasn’t the Islamist government that shined, but whoever spoke out against it!
Having said this, I wish to now draw your attention to the domestic picture of Iran, by focusing first on its dire economic situation:

It is a fact that Iran has 1% of the world’s population and 7% of the world’s resources. Furthermore, while the country enjoys abundant energy resources, it is also blessed by a young and educated work force. However, since 1979, my homeland has faced steady economic decline as a consequence of its general mismanagement and the inability for coming to grip with certain recurring economic problems – such as a chronic over-dependency on oil income, an antiquated bureaucracy, an untrusting ‘private sector,’ as well as corruption and inefficient monopolies reserved for the select regime loyalists. Added to this cocktail of ills, is the regime’s reliance of massive subsidies which have brought forth the doubling of the national budget deficit during Mr. Ahmadinejad’s first year in office.

Today, with unemployment and inflation both well over 20%, along with further depreciation in the value of the Iranian currency, despite rising oil revenues, there is general consensus amongst experts that the Iranian economy is in full recession with general demand for goods and services seriously down. The situation is further exacerbated by the regime’s increased militancy with respect to its foreign affairs bringing into question the regimes vision and strategy to turning the economy around.

In the social and political sphere, the regime has displayed no compunction whatsoever in using what ever force has been required for savagely containing a population that has been the primary victim of its ineptitude in every conceivable field.

The regime’s failure in various economic, social, cultural and political issues have led to a situation that over the past 27 years, thousands of freedom loving Iranians have been either imprisoned, tortured, executed at home or exiled and assassinated abroad, simply because of their refusal to submit to what is no more than a vicious ‘Islamist Apartheid’ system that makes mockery out of such notions as democracy or popular sovereignty.

These actions have now brought my homeland to the edge of a new precipice that is already showing signs of open resistance and violence amongst Iran’s much neglected ethnic populations. Here it is important to point out that continued unrest in these areas pose a major threat not just to the stability and the territorial integrity of Iran but for Iran’s neighbors and the region as a whole. There is no exaggeration when one speaks of the Islamic regime’s bloodstained record of total disdain and disregard for human rights and individual liberties of all Iranians, and especially the youth and women of my homeland.

Based on this presentation, I am confident of your agreement that any prospect for peace and stability in the Middle East – be it in Iraq, Afghanistan or throughout the Persian Gulf, can hardly be advance so long as the menace posed by the theocratic dictatorship in Iran remains unaddressed in one form or another.

So, how do we begin addressing a serious issue of this nature that has plagued every single US administration – Democrat or Republican – since 1979?

One thing I can assure you without any hesitation is the fact that this problem will never disappear in face of half baked measures or empty rhetoric!
In my view, it is essential that countries such as the United States or others who are trying to counter fanaticism and extremism under the banner of liberal-democratic values, should, first and foremost, attempt to respond to a number of important philosophical or otherwise searching questions:
For instance, why is secularism under such severe strain in the Middle East? Could their actions in the past have possibly aggravated matters indirectly by having failed to understand or show sensitivity to the kind of social, economic and political pressures confronting their secular counterparts in the region – both past and present? To me, this is an important question that needs to be addressed if only to reaffirm the belief that extremists and fanatics who purport to have the “Almighty “on their side, are nothing but frauds who are incapable of resurrecting either national pride or national self-esteem, let alone overseeing a just society that values notions such as freedom, diversity and inclusiveness.

It thus follows, those secular democrats – either in Iran, or across the Middle East – need to be encouraged and supported, so that they can successfully meet the challenges that are posed by extremists and fundamentalist.
Moreover, in the case of my homeland, it is critically important that an image be conveyed that the United States wants to actually stand “shoulder to shoulder” with the ordinary people of Iran by raising their depleted morale and assuring them that they will never be abandoned or compromised in their struggle for freedom and democracy.

Also, extra attention needs to be given to portray secular democratic leaders, as enlightened, uncompromised and patriotic figures who are risking everything for their homeland and their people.

In this regard, lessons learned from Iraq can be usefully employed to avert certain avoidable impediments, by enhancing the notion that US allies are honourable people, who are both popular and well capable of gaining the trust and respect of their own people.

Moreover, it must be reiterated that Iran will never become another Iraq and that any positive change towards democracy will not result in chaos. At the same time it is important to emphasize that Iranians who are urged to stand up against the current dictatorship, are also most concerned that they should not be sold out or compromised.

Hence, any diplomatic engagement with current regime, must also demonstrate sensitivity by taking this factor into consideration, if only to ensure that repeated appeals – such as those made by President Bush to the Iranian people – are neither diluted nor made to look disingenuous.

Therefore, communicating in a meaningful way with the Iranian people, while at the same time projecting the image that the United States wants to support the people of Iran in their quest for democracy and human rights, is a key factor that will continue to require nurturing and attention.

But let me be forthright by affirming that words alone cannot be enough! I must remind this distinguished audience that elements like Hezbollah or Hamas are able to do what they do only because of the type of material support that is provided to them on a regular basis by the Islamic Republic of Iran.

I am confident that you will agree that minus, the funds, the arms and the training that has been forwarded to Hezbollah since 1982, the danger posed to the State of Israel would have been minimal at best.

In such a situation, it is hard to imagine how empty handed people are expected to stand up against a determined dictatorship that has total control over the nation’s oil wealth and has never in the past relented from brutally crushing any form of internal dissent?

Let me be clear by pointing out that I am not asking for the US government to respond by either financing or arming the Iranian resistance. However, I am asking that the US should speak with one voice and one voice alone, so that indigenous elements capable of supporting the forces of freedom and human rights may be encouraged to play their role.

In closing, I wish to affirm my belief that one of my homeland’s unique features is the fact that it is the ripest candidate for the promotion of democracy and civil society in the greater Middle East. Hence, what is needed is to continue with the messages of support for our people, while actively looking for practical ways of making those messages actually make a difference on the ground.

Even then, the peaceful path for promoting the change we all seek will no doubt be one for which much sacrifice on the part of ordinary Iranians will still be needed. But, my compatriots and I are ready for this and we will take heart by knowing that we are not alone.

Have no doubt that we are determined to save our country and secure our future by advancing the cause of democracy and progress for our people. Only then, will Iran once again be a solid and reliable partner for the promotion of peace and stability in our region and beyond.

Thank you.

Matneh Farsi Sokhanrani Reza Pahlavi dar Shorayeh Omooreh Beynolmelali Delaware:

http://www.rezapahlavi.org/World-Affairs-Council-of-Delaware-persian.html

Dabirkhaneh Reza Pahlavi