[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US seeks Chinese, Indian, Russian support on Iran

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: US seeks Chinese, Indian, Russian support on Iran Reply with quote

US seeks Chinese, Indian, Russian support on Iran

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050909/wl_mideast_afp/usirannuclear_050909193821

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice issued an open appeal to China, Russia and India to back referral of Iran to the UN Security Council for its suspected nuclear weapons program.

Rice said seeking UN action against Tehran was a "reasonable option" after the Iranians resumed last month sensitive fuel-cycle work they had suspended in November as part of negotiations with Britain, France and Germany.

"Iran needs to get a message from the international community that is a unified message, and by this I mean not just the EU-3 and the United States, but also Russia and China and India and others," Rice said.

Washington has long been lobbying for a consensus within the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the UN watchdog, to take steps against Iran which insists its nuclear program is strictly peaceful.

The EU-3, which has been trying to persuade the Iranians to renounce any nuclear ambitions in return for a package of economic and security incentives, appeared Friday to have run out of patience.

A confidential document obtained by AFP, containing notes for IAEA diplomats, said the EU was ready to call for Iran to be brought before the UN Security Council as a "clear signal of concern" over its activities.

The IAEA board is due to meet on September 19 to discuss a new report issued last week by the agency's director Mohamed ElBaradei, who said Iran had failed to completely allay suspicions over its nuclear intentions.

"We've all said that a next step to be expected would be referral to the Security Council," Rice said Friday.

"I think that after the IAEA report of a couple of days ago it's clear that Iran is not living up to its obligations and so UN Security Council (referral) seems to be a reasonable option."

But India, China and Russia have balked at bringing in the United Nations. The State Department said Thursday it had lodged a protest, specifically with New Delhi.

Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Nicholas Burns told Congress Rice would also raise the issue with her Indian counterpart Natwar Singh and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during talks outside a UN Summit next week.

Rice said Friday, "It is not acceptable for Iran to enter into negotiations that are aimed at restoring confidence that they are going to live up to their international obligations and then summarily walk out on them."

She expressed confidence the US and EU call for UN action would prevail.

"I think the question has been answered by a number of people, including Europeans, who said that if the Iranians will not come back to the negotiations ... then not many choices are going to be left to the international community but the Security Council."

Last edited by cyrus on Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Cyrus,

Thing about "sound bites" is someone is interpreting the context around them in press reports...it's why I like going to the source and reviewing the transcript. It almost always adds to understanding.

----------------------------------------------------------

Press Briefing in Advance of Trip to the UN General Assembly

Secretary Condoleezza Rice
Washington, DC
September 9, 2005

(excerpts)

John.

QUESTION: Yes. The decision was made to grant President Ahmadi-Nejad a visa to
come to New York. And I understand that what happens is essentially you ruled
that he is ineligible because of the rule says visas cannot be granted to
anybody with terrorist ties and then there was a decision made to waive that.
What I'm wondering is what the evidence of that the United States has that
President Ahmadi-Nejad has ties to terrorism that would make him ineligible?

And secondly, if you get a chance to bump into him while you're in New York,
what would you have to say to him?

SECRETARY RICE: Well, I don't know that I'll have a chance to bump into him.
But, you know, I'm a pleasant person. I suppose I would say hello, John.
(Laughter.) But let me just explain the process here.

First of all, the United States has obligations as the host country to make
certain that heads of delegations, heads of state can participate in official
UN activities. And so we have discharged that obligation by the issuance of a
visa to the Iranian President. You know that there were a number of questions
raised about his potential activities, in not the least by our own former
hostages. And so there has been some work done. I'm not going to get into the
details of what may or may not have transpired. There were concerns about his
past, but those concerns about his past have been expressed. I think the
Iranian Government, perhaps, will want to clear up with us and I think there
are other places that concerns have been expressed -- what may have happened
there.

The important point is he's coming. Or if he wants to come, he's coming,
because the United States is going to fulfill its obligation to allow heads of
state to come to the UN.

-----------------------------

Okay, yes, last question.

QUESTION: Do you think the EU-3 course has run -- the EU talks on Iran have run
its course and will you be talking about the possibility of referring Iran's
nuclear program to the UN Security Council?

SECRETARY RICE: Well, the question of whether or not the reform -- the
negotiations have run their course is really one that should be put to the
Iranians. The Iranians are the ones who voluntarily entered into these
negotiations with the EU-3 because there were concerns in the IAEA about
Iranian activities and where the world then -- the state to which we went was
that there would be time given for the EU-3 to see if they could work out an
arrangement with Iran that gave confidence to the international community, that
it was time for Iran to -- that Iran was not intending to violate its NPT
obligations.

The European 3, I think, have negotiated in good faith, they've worked very
hard at it, and what they've gotten is an Iran that walked out of the agreement
and started to convert UF4 to UF6. That's not an acceptable outcome. We have
all said that a next step, a next step to be expected would be referral to the
Security Council. I think that after the IAEA report of a couple of days ago,
it's clear that Iran is not living up to its obligations and so, UN Security
Council reform seems to be a reasonable option.

Now, we need leadership on this. The EU-3 led on this issue. The United States
supported the EU-3 on this issue. But Iran needs to get a message from the
international community that is a unified message and by this, I mean not just
the EU-3 and the United States, but also Russia and China and India and others,
that it is not acceptable for Iran to enter into negotiations that are aimed at
restoring confidence that they are going to live up to their international
obligations and then summarily walk out of them and break the agreement, that
that is not acceptable.

And so, we will be working with our colleagues on this, but I think the
question has been answered by a number of people, including Europeans who have
said that -- you know, we're going to have to -- if the Iranians will not come
back to the negotiations, if the Iranians will not go back into the Paris
agreement, then not many choices are going to be left to the international
community but Security Council referral.

Thank you.
2005/848

Released on September 9, 2005

See http://www.state.gov/secretary/ for all remarks by the Secretary of State.
Liberty Now !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: meanwhile... Reply with quote

Meanwhile...

Little Britain Continues Supporting Islamo-Fascist Criminals!

Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

United Nations to call for clampdown on acts inciting terrorism+
The Associated Press, Sept. 10, 2005

NEW YORK, Sept. 10

(Kyodo) _ In a resolution expected to be adopted next week, the U.N. Security Council will call on all member states to take further antiterrorism measures, such as banning acts that incite terrorism, according to a draft obtained by Kyodo News on Saturday.

The Security Council will also urge member states to crack down on institutions encouraging what it calls "extremist ideologies" and not to harbor terrorists, says the draft resolution for adoption at the council's summit.

The resolution, worked out by Britain, comes against the backdrop of failure to prevent subway and bus attacks in London in July which killed at least 56 and injured more than 700 as the fourth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks on the United States approaches.

The planned document will demonstrate to leaders from about 170 member states, who are taking part in a U.N. General Assembly summit, the Security Council's firm determination to fight terrorism.

The antiterrorism resolution is likely to be the key achievement in a series of meetings and events to be held at the United Nations next week, in contrast to the General Assembly's stalled effort to hammer out a document for reform of the global body to commemorate the U.N.'s 60th anniversary.

According to the draft resolution, the Security Council condemns "in the strongest terms all acts of terrorism irrespective of their motivation, whenever and by whomsoever committed, as one of the most serious threats to peace and security."

The council calls on all U.N. member states "to prohibit by law the incitement of a terrorist act or acts through the adoption of such measures as may be necessary and appropriate and in accordance with their obligations under international law."

The council also urges the countries to "deny...safe haven to any persons with respect to whom there are serious reasons for considering that they have been guilty of such conduct contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations, with a view to ensuring that such persons are being brought to justice."

It also calls on the U.N. member states "to counter violent extremist ideologies, including steps to prevent the subversion of educational, cultural, and religious institutions by terrorists and their supporters."

In the wake of the deadly attacks in London, British Prime Minister Tony Blair has already said the British government may consider deporting foreign Islamic extremists and shutting down religious institutions encouraging what he branded as extremist ideologies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: