[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Penn's Iran Dispatches Ready to Run
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sudi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Penn's Iran Dispatches Ready to Run Reply with quote

I'm very skeptical about what Penn has to say, but ...

====================================
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,17174,00.html

Penn's Iran Dispatches Ready to Run

by Charlie Amter
Aug 17, 2005, 4:40 PM PT

When it comes to Sean Penn's latest journalistic experiment, it's a case of better late than never.

The actor, dispatched to cover the Iranian elections two months ago, will finally see his byline in the San Francisco Chronicle come Monday, according to editor Phil Bronstein.

The Chronicle Executive Vice President and editor confirmed to E! Online Wednesday that Penn's long-in-the-works report will likely be divvied up into five segments, with one running each day next week. Bronstein added that Chronicle staffers are "still laying the piece out" and that "the number of days could change."

Asked why it took so long to get Penn's story into print, Bronstein said, "It's a process you don't want to rush into."

The editor, known in pop-culture circles as the former Mr. Sharon Stone, said readers can expect Penn's "personal observations" and "personal experiences" in the multipart series.

In any case, the Mystic River Oscar winner wasn't writing for the money. Asked how much Penn might expect for his freelance gig, Bronstein said, "We haven't even discussed that yet."

Penn's assignment has already generated some headlines. In June, wire reports said the novice newshound spoke out to students at an event in Iran, taking a timeout to note chants of "death to America" hurt the peace process between the U.S. and Iran.

"I understand the nature of where it comes from and what its intention is," he told a film student at the event, per Reuters. "But I don't think it's productive because I think the message goes to the American people and it is interpreted very literally."

Days later, Penn had his camcorder briefly confiscated by authorities after he taped a peaceful demonstration, a sit-in led by women, at Tehran University.

This isn't the first time the actor has moonlighted as a Chronicle correspondent.

Penn, who turned 45 Wednesday, visited Iraq in 2002 for the Chronicle, preaching peace and angering many who felt the actor was acting against America's best interest.

He returned to Iraq the week before Saddam Hussein was captured in 2003 for another assignment. In January of 2004, the Chronicle ran Penn's account on "how life had changed after the American invasion" in Baghdad.

As for his day job, Penn will next be seen in Sony's big screen adaptation of Robert Penn Warren's political novel All the King's Men this December.
sudi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Penn's first part of a 5 part report on Iran and the Iranian elections:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/08/22/PENN.TMP

Rather objective, I must admit ... or at least so far!
Spenta

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far so good, but whats with the 'beloved Ayatollah Khomeini', he ain't beloved!
sudi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's day two's report:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/08/23/PENN.TMP

And don't miss his didactic footnotes ... I guess he owes it to his "supporters" to somehow make it all America's fault:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/08/22/DDPENSIDE.DTL
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/08/23/PENNSIDE.TMP

In light of IRI rejecting EU's offer and resuming uranium conversion, perhaps Penn should've revised the second footnote!
sudi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 3's report:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/08/24/PENN.TMP
Spenta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that every westerner that goes to Iran falls into the trap of Mullah deitification. They spend more time talking to and glorifying the fabulosity of the Mullah$ than paying attention to regular people. I guess its the same cult of celebrityhood syndorme that the world is addicted to now. In some bizarre ways the likes of Khomeini's family and Rafsanjani become as hot as Paris Hilton. So far Sean Penn seems more intrigued by these shielded high power Mullah$ in their gangster style fortresses and cosa nostra style crew than anything else. His discussions and connections with dissidents and lesser beings who are not powerful Mullah$ seems minor.
Liberty Now !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we keep hoping that these westerners visit, observations and reports will somehow help Iran.

Guess they're just helping themselves. much like oil companies help themselves to nations' wealth by kissing up to the ayatollahs.

I mean, would it kill the western women to go to Iran once without submitting to ayatollahs dress code? it's against UN charter of rights, is it not?

would it kill the airlines not to read the dress code to the passengers and force them to wear hijab?

for god's sake iranian women took off their veils in recent protests. but no such courage from any western woman to stand up against these backward pigs yet.

all and all, they look at it as ... well: not their problem!

that's the attitude that caused 9/11.

but president Bush had to go kiss up to islamic community immidiately after that. not a minute wasted!

it's our problem alright. but a problem created by the western powers.

what do you expect from them?

ayatollahs are paving the way for them to get rich.

and they will ensure the ayatollahs' long reign.

it's a sealed deal.
Rasker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Now, you say that President Bush 'kissed up' to the Islamic community right after 9/11. All he did was say that America's problem was with the few extremists hiding within the Islamic community that supported the killing of Americans, not with all followers of Islam. Thats not 'kissing up' as you put it, thats just simple politics and diplomacy, trying to make things more difficult for the extremists, not easier for them.

It's a lot more difficult leading a grand coalition against terrorism involving over 100 governments that it is to sit at a keyboard and spew epithets.
sudi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't miss day 4's report. This one's definitely worth reading. Even Penn seems in awe of the courage of the Iranian women demonstrators.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/08/25/DDGC1EBVL41.DTL

... And once again his sidenote

"Iranian student is not afraid to mock the mullahs"
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/08/25/DDGC1EC04G1.DTL

I can't and don't want to defend any Westerner, specially a self-proclaimed Western journalist, who travels to Iran without doing their homework. In the case of Penn's interview with Hassan Khomeini, he should've taken the time to learn about the "culture" of akhounds ... he should've at least learned about "taarof akhoundi"! Then perhaps he wouldn't have been charmed by those snakes!
Spenta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is a little better, and I hate to say it but the leftist western journalist was right, Sean Penn should have allowed himself to get arrested, it would've been big news and would've made people all around the world better understand how bad things are in Iran.

The courage of the women and men who participated in this demonstration is amazing ...

At this point though, I'm not sure what can get a big enough demonstration going to make a difference. Sadly the momentum of a few years ago was squandered away ...
sudi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the fifth and final report:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/08/26/DDG6SE9BDG25.DTL

IMHO, this is Penn's worst report. So many holes in his logic and his understanding of Iran's political history, specially about MKO. Penn seems to be regurgitating IRI's propaganda. Furthermore, he seems to have fallen prey to the "We need reform, not revolution" line ... no one can be that thick in the head, specially not after all that he witnessed, firsthand.

Quote:
At this point though, I'm not sure what can get a big enough demonstration going to make a difference. Sadly the momentum of a few years ago was squandered away ...

I agree. I was hoping that Ganji's battle may be a catalyst, but alas ...
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sudi and Spenta,

Below is an excerpt from a farewell letter to Colin Powell on the 27th Jan, 2005.

The post included was a few weeks prior to this , as the debate over referendum raged...One thing about current circumstance is that the parameters I indicated back then are coming to a head....And Sudi...you'll have to be the judge whether this "westerner" has done his homework or not.

Was interesting to see the suggestion manifest shortly after this was received...

---------------------excerpt---------

You mentioned looking over the wall at the Iranian people's desires for freedom, and to bring this full circle back to the "argument of the age", I know you've had a lot of offers, but I'd be remiss if I didn't offer you an invitation to hop on over the wall, and take a peek in on the kids in the sandlot of the small, but diverse forum I contribute to.
As the only US citizen, without roots in Iran, the respect I get is I guess due to the trust I've earned, and the way I've done my best to help others make sense of US policy. As well as some pretty strait up assessments of the situation. In Example:

--------------
http://www.daneshjoo.org/cgi-bin/messageboard/ikonboard.cgi?

To the Forum:

While I'd tend to agree with those who say (monarchist or not) that the mullahs are incapable of reform, and simply need to pack their bags and get out of politics, government, and people's faces to go back whence they came, to being Imams only to those who care to go to Mosque.....
I also know that there is a bit of Iranian history that causes some to believe such a transition could happen overnight (or within a few weeks as in '79).
This I think gives rise to much frustration within the ranks of those seeking a better future, and a freely governed Iran, answerable to the people.

In my experience, reform is always a process of two steps forward, one step back...and baby steps at that.

In '79, you had religious fanaticism added onto a growing discontent with the monarchy, which the results of are a matter of history now.
Today, the discontent is still there, the failed policies, the human rights issues, and the persistent need for freedom.

What is lacking as yet is the catalyst to motivate the masses to take action.
In '79, it was the Ayatollah's return, sparking the religious fanaticism that was the catalyst at the time.

I see a broader and more powerful catalyst that lies beneath the surface of current events, just waiting to be triggered.

That is that the mullahs are pushing the West to confrontation (perhaps military), and when the vast majority of Iranians realize the danger they face in a war started by the mullah's failed two-faced diplomacy, then you folks will have your catalyst for change, out of dire necessity.

They say necessity was the mother of invention, I say it's father was desperation.

Many think that if the mullahs get the bomb, they'll use it (probably on Israel) and not just in my country (US) is that the general consensus, but it is in the mullah's own words to that effect.

Now, anyone who's finished his morning cup of coffee, and is reasonably alert, will no doubt call that kind of mullacratic foreign policy "suicidal". For good reason...because when the favor's returned in kind, Persia will no longer exist.

So, I ask any reasonable Iranian, as a US citizen...but more as simply one human to another, is self preservation from the intent of one's leaders enough of a catalyst?

See here, and I mean no insult to the people of Persia by this, for many a proud people have been under the boot throughout history. This realization has brought despair and hopelessness and a type of almost "grasping at straws" kind of mentality to try and effect change.

By this I mean that boycotting the last election only served to create a deafening silence of opposition, and the world took no notice, only that the elections were a "sham" due to the mullahs not allowing people to run for office.

Point being, boycotting was one of those "grasping at straws" ideas that didn't work, and only served the mullahs in the end. I think they expect the same this next June, so my thought is that if the opposition can get it's collective act together, and stop the infighting, perhaps even if a viable candidate with a decent track record won't be allowed to run, if the people "write-in" that candidate, then the mullahs have to declare the votes invalid, which puts a much worse public diplomacy issue in their lap.

Then you have greater legitimacy for the opposition than just a boycott, which won't work this time either, I'm afraid.

I may have pissed off a few folks when I suggested this, but they'll get over it the more it makes sense to them.

So what remains is the basic question all Iranians must ask themselves at this point after all this misery under the mullahs, and the future path they have chosen to subject you good folks to....I think is simply: "Are we but sheep?"

And now I've probably pissed off a whole lot of folks, but the question remains.... and the answer is up to you.

The question my country, as well as the rest of the world ponders is "Do we have time to wait for the Iranian people to answer the previous question?"

I doubt if time is on anyone's side, including the mullah's.

(Oppenheimer)
---------------

Well, I was expecting a verbal dog pile, but it was the honesty they respected, and even though I've been on for quite awhile, I was still surprised that I wasn't ganged up on..

What it did was cut to the chase, and so that's my only bit of advice to your boss. I think he's got to reaffirm his commitment to the Iranian people directly, via this next state of the union message, or the inaugural address, make human rights the overriding issue beyond that of the nuclear threat, and back that up with tangible support for opposition groups once they have been properly vetted.
I talk with these folks, gather their opinions, debate these issues daily, and when I say the forum is diverse, it runs the gamut. It's my best advice in a nutshell, as I know your time is limited. But please drop in; it's a microcosm of that "argument of the age" as it unfolds.

----------end excerpt---------

"write in" candidate may have been an off the wall idea, but it seems the IRI, by reacting to the threat of boycot and running a farcical parody of "democracy" did more to advertize the ludicrous nature of "elections" in Iran than anything else.

I could give a rat's ass what the former "Mr. Maddona" thinks he's now an expert on....

But at least you have a pretty good idea of what it will take....from a fellow who's done a hell of a lot of research over the years.
Liberty Now !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasker wrote:
Liberty Now, you say that President Bush 'kissed up' to the Islamic community right after 9/11. All he did was say that America's problem was with the few extremists hiding within the Islamic community that supported the killing of Americans, not with all followers of Islam. Thats not 'kissing up' as you put it, thats just simple politics and diplomacy, trying to make things more difficult for the extremists, not easier for them.

It's a lot more difficult leading a grand coalition against terrorism involving over 100 governments that it is to sit at a keyboard and spew epithets.

GRAND COALITION AGAINST TERRORISM! wow.

it's Grand achievement that even the Christian women of Iraq have to wear ISLAMIC HIJAB today!

really Grand that Iraq is about to join the grand coalition of ISLAMIC REPUBLICS !

just grand.

the difference between your worldview and mine is this:

I happen to know that ISLAMO-FASCISM was strengthened by the same GRAND COALITION you're talking about, and used to further their plans for further suppression and looting of the people of that region.

not only they have NO INTENTION of limiting its power, but they've just found just the tool they need to continue the looting of middle east.

don't give me more Grand lectures, or I'll spill out more facts buddy.

although either way, I'll say what must be said.
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty,

On another thread you whined about my "censoring" your posts
(as noted below in full, including my quote).

--------------------

Oppenheimer wrote:
Perhaps you'd like to back up your naivety with some facts....or if you can't, may I respectfully suggest you put a sock in it.

perhaps if you look closer to the world events in past century you'll find out the facts for yourself. or just ask around how many times U.S. acted as "king kong" when brits held the remote control. not everyone views the world throu MEDIA / CIA screens! yet, there are always those who insist to keep their heads burried in the sand. your own lost.

by the way: you should seriously put a sock on your tendecy to censor opinions.

(Admin: please note this guy's attemp to censor my posts, thank you)

-----------------

1. Here you are offering to post some facts (which is what I asked you to do...)

2. It's easy to toss around accusations, it's another thing to prove something...thus you need facts to back up your words.

3. Rasker is right...and I''ll add something to this...you seem to have a real chip on your shoulder with anyone that disagrees with you, or asks you to prove your outrageous statements.

4. You have the right to express your opinion, just as I have the right to respectfully ask you to put a sock in it, if you can't (or won't) engage in civil discourse, and debate.

5. I want to remind you that your methodology of interaction is at this point suspect in my opinion, and that if you came here looking for trouble, you'll find a bucket-load.

Suspect as in how the following excerpt from a SMCCDI letter to president Bush described the methodology....and the five "D"'s are also used on forums like this one.

So think real hard about how you come off to people....I'm a fair guy, but if your intent is to push people's buttons.....I'm sure that can be dealt with.

[ Mr. President, We believe the minor problems resulting
in splits among opposition groups can be resolved by your
eloquent inaugural speech and your continued moral and
logistical support. Now is the time for us to come together
and face the dangers.

Not the least of which is the danger that the opposition
movement itself faces from regime elements located all over
the world. In much the same way Saddam targeted his
opposition, we face those same threats, both physically and
politically at home and abroad by the following methodology
of the Islamic Republic regime:
Distract, Deceive, Discredit, Discourage, and Dismember the
opposition, wherever it may be found. How these methods
manifest itself in action, is varied, effective, and
coordinated by the theocratic regime through it's agents,
and proxy. Including targeted assassinations on our future
leaders.

These methods of threat and intimidation must be addressed
if your words and bond of moral and financial support are
to become manifest by our action in a positive and
effective manner to bring a quicker end to this evil
regime.]
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a little off-topic, and apologies to Sudi , but it is relevent to the activities of the mullahs, and the future of the region.

-------------------

Statement by Ambassador John Bolton, U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations, on Security Council Resolution 1618 Condemning Terrorism in Iraq, August 4, 2005

Thank you Mr. President,

I am very pleased that my first participation in the Security Council comes on the day that the Council has unanimously passed this Resolution (1618) condemning terrorism in Iraq, vividly demonstrating broad international support for the Iraqi government. This support is extremely important as Iraq continues forward with its political, security, and economic transition.

Today is notably only days after the fifteen-year anniversary of Saddam Hussein’s unprovoked aggression against Kuwait, and the adoption of UN Security Council Resolutions 660 and 661. Over this fifteen-year period, the Council has been seized with Iraq. For most of that time, the effort was to compel positive behavior from the Government of Iraq. Today, however, the Council is in partnership with the new, democratically elected government of that country.

On a personal note, I was the Assistant Secretary of State for International Organizations in August of 1990, and I have long been invested with ensuring the development of a peaceful, democratic Iraq. We are nearing the resolution of that process, and the next months will be critical.

Iraq is quickly approaching another major milestone in its transition, that of having a draft constitution in place by August 15. In anticipation of doing so, the Iraqi government has expressed its commitment to meeting the October 15 referendum and December 15 election timelines, as outlined in the Transitional Administrative Law and endorsed by UN Security Council Resolution 1546. It is important that this be a transparent, participatory, and inclusive process.

The Iraqi people continue to demonstrate the courage that we have seen throughout the transition process, most notably on January 30 when millions of Iraqis participated in Iraq’s first democratic national election. Undeterred by Saddam Hussein’s legacy of many years of oppression and war, the Iraqi people are determined to create a new rea1ity. Iraqis continue to work towards a new constitution and new elections despite ongoing terrorist attacks and threats of attacks.

This resolution is also important because it illustrates that Iraq faces the same transnational terrorist threat that has struck many other parts of the world.

This resolution highlights the critical importance of cooperation among all Member States to halt the flow of terrorists, weapons, and terrorist financing to Iraq. We call upon the governments of Syria and Iran to honor their commitments to assist Iraq under this resolution and other relevant resolutions, including UN Security Council Resolution 1546, and to implement the pledges they have made to support stability in Iraq at the conference of Iraq’s neighbors.

We call on all Iraqis to reject violence and support a transparent, participatory and inclusive transition process.

The constructive dialogue through which this text was developed demonstrates further the strengthened resolve of the United Nations to work together for a democratic, secure, and prosperous Iraq, and for the lasting and permanent benefit -- and safety -- of its people.

Finally, we urge all UN Member States, especially in the Arab world, to come forward and support the Iraqi people at this critical point in their development of constitutional structures of representative government.

Thank you very much, Mr. President.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: