[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terror in London - Tehran Sermon by Ayatollah Mohammad Amami
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visitor,

No I wasn't referring to you, the fellow from China (living in China currently) had not posted comment.

I just found it interesting in light of Blank's comment regarding Microsoft.
---------------

I have thought about these subjects for many, many years for it is family history that is involved, and a duty to my countrymen that the lessons learned in my granddad's era not be repeated or forgotten.
I cannot tread lightly by any means, nor can I be anything but honest in my assessment of the subject, too much is at stake. Every living thing on this planet to be exact.

When I consider the difference (by definition) between a terrorist and a freedom fighter, The targeting of civilians, and the methods employed may serve. The philosophy behind our revolution, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence, was born from resistance to oppression with "live free, or die." being at the core of it. As Hamid Karzai recently intimated, this is the Afghan jihad, the true jihad, to be free to live in correctness with one another. That jihad lies in one's heart, the struggle to live a correct life, in the eyes of the Creator of all. The commonality of the basic truths behind all the major religions of the world, is apparent to me, who could be so arrogant to think that they were the only ones chosen by God?

------------

Visitor,

So it is that the "war on terrorism" is fought within Islam itself, as well on the battlefield. And why the president called Islam a "religion of peace." is (or should be) seen in this context.

------------

Anyone who has witnessed the birth of one's child can tell you that yes indeed you create your own reality, the question is what do we wish to create for ourselves as reality on this planet, now and for our children's, and their children's future? Not just in this country, but the world as a whole, as an international vision.
Inherently, change is viewed with suspicion, as a threat to culture and ways of tradition and ethical belief systems. As it applies to developing countries in this nuclear age, the post-cold war aftermath presents a vast paradox that present no easy solutions, and has culminated in the reality of the war on terrorism as it exists today.

As a citizen who knows the history involved, coming from a reliable source if you will, when I consider the failure to contain the spread of nuclear weapons and associated technology, and the current situation, putting the genie back in the bottle requires a miracle, you cannot un-invent something. From a cold standpoint of probability, nuclear weapons will eventually be used at some point unless the current world situation changes drastically for the better.

"By employing common logic and gut-instinct together with an open mind, one may anticipate miracles as a result." I define "miracle" as something good that defies probability and reasonable explanation for occurring.
If what we have been recent witness to in Afghanistan is example of a miracle, as defined, then there is hope.
Having been in the construction industry much of my life, I can assure you all that we are in fact a nation of "nation builders" on many levels. Politically speaking, since WW2, it has been through "on the job training". The mistakes made in the past, and the correctness of present, or future policy must share one thing, a willingness to look at truth over viewpoint (or party affiliation).

To achieve peace, nations must be brave enough to look at the past in general, and be more creative in future vision than the kid in Afghanistan, who reportedly had nothing he could count on in life, except the anti-tank missile he slept with. I wonder if he's sold it by now, and bought a kite.

The above are selected excerpts from "Isotope Road" a letter to the US gov. and published by the DOE in 2002.

-----------

Visitor,

Don't think for a minute that Mr. Bush is unaware of the things that need to be done to find solutions to terrorism.

Regards,

Oppie
American Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The commonality of the basic truths behind all the major religions of the world, is apparent to me, who could be so arrogant to think that they were the only ones chosen by God?

Perhaps to us this does seem illogical and "arrogant," but to fundamentalists it is perfectly understandable. What do you do if you believe your holy books are dictated by God Himself and they tell you to destroy all other religions and cultures by force if necessary? For true believers, the dictates of a holy book will trump logic any day. When the majority of Muslims read their holy books and begin to preach that God loves everyone including practitioners of other religions and members of other cultures, renounce all religiously motivated violence, and practice complete civil and religious freedom and tolerance, I will agree with you. A few moderates on the margins don't alter the magnitude of the challenge we face.

Quote:
So it is that the "war on terrorism" is fought within Islam itself, as well on the battlefield. And why the president called Islam a "religion of peace." is (or should be) seen in this context.

We would all love to see Islam transformed into a tolerant religion which champions freedom. When we see actual progress in that direction we should encourage those who are moving in a positive direction. For the realist, the religion must be defined by how it is practiced now by those in power in Islamic lands, not how we would like to view it. When we see actual progress in a positive direction then we can revise our opinions.

Quote:
Don't think for a minute that Mr. Bush is unaware of the things that need to be done to find solutions to terrorism.

I personally believe there is much more genius to Bush's policies than is recognized. Unfortunately, he has not been able to move public opinion in his direction. Much of that is due to the MSM but he has not done a good job explaining to people what we are up against. When I hear that Saudi money is not pouring into our universities to serve as Wahabbi propaganda centers, I will be more confident that he understands the enemy.
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you don't realize that the majority of Muslims are not extremist fundementalists.

You may wish to review my posts within this thread in totality so I don't have to repeat the conversation and elements of it that I had with Azadeh55. There's plenty of food for thought there to chew on.

On of the things recently that has point of fact proven the war within Islam is the targeting of moderate clerics in Afghanistan by the Taliban and terrorists like gulbadin hectmayer(sp) , IRI backed, funded and armed.

Take the targeting of mosques and Iraqi (both Shiite and Sunni) civilians.

Now as for terrorists in general, I don't find any difference in methodology or intent, rhetoric or otherwise in basic terms between bin Ladin and al Quaida and David Duke and the KKK...opposite ends of a political spectrum perhaps, but a terrorist is a terrorist is a terrorist. They come in all colors, creeds and political affiliations.

However, under the first amendment, the KKK has its little parades, protested to the max by those opposed to hate speech and their agenda.

ABC aired an interview with a Chechnian terrorist, and the Russians banned ABC (or won't renue their russian licence to be more accurate) because of it.

Personally, as much as I believe in freedom of speech, you have to draw a line somewhere as to what responsible speech is, and whether inciting hate is a violation or abuse of the right to free speech.

Therein lies the rub whether terrorists will affect free societies in a negative manner regarding civil liberties.

One thing is clear about terrorist intent, that is to create a clash of civilizations and cultures. When one falls into that trap, by condeming all Islam, you have only supported the terrorist's agenda, and furthered the clash of civilizations from the other side.

Read some of my previous posts...no read all of them, then you will get a real good idea why I stand on solid ground here.

Apparently some are getting too much of their education from books (chuckle). Or particular verses from one book, to be precise. A book scribed by man, as God's word interpreted by man, made into law by man.

To err is human.
American Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps you don't realize that the majority of Muslims are not extremist fundementalists.

It depends on how you define "extremist fundamentalists." If you mean folks who think the Koran is dictated by God Himself and is completely infallible, I think most Muslims would probably happily claim the label "fundamentalist." So far I have seen no group withing Islam which is willing to accept the idea that Muhammad included his own thoughts when preparing the material which has been placed in the Koran. If you know a major group of Muslims who don't believe the Koran was dictated by God please let me know about them.

If you mean all Muslims are not suicide bombers, then I'll agree with you.

Quote:
On of the things recently that has point of fact proven the war within Islam is the targeting of moderate clerics in Afghanistan by the Taliban and terrorists like gulbadin hectmayer(sp) , IRI backed, funded and armed.

Take the targeting of mosques and Iraqi (both Shiite and Sunni) civilians

From the very beginning Muslims have fought among themselves. The battles are often about power mostly but occasionally about interpretations and practices of what they consider the infallible Koran. The only exception of which I'm aware is the Shia claim that the Sunni have changed a few of the verses in the Koran amounting to a very small fraction of the whole. Otherwise all those of whom I'm aware are complete fundamentalists who believe the Koran is infallible. The battles among themselves doesn't mean a new and improved Islam is in the offing.

From what I have read, there are folks such as Karzi in Afghanistan and in Iraq who are deeply committed to the welfare of their people even if that costs them their lives. I believe Karzi is a very honorable man and respect the sacrifices he has made for his people. However, although Afghanistan has improved considerable under the present regime, it is in no way a modern liberal democracy. I believe it is officially defined by the new constitution as a Islamic country with very limited freedoms.

Quote:
Now as for terrorists in general, I don't find any difference in methodology or intent, rhetoric or otherwise in basic terms between bin Ladin and al Quaida and David Duke and the KKK...opposite ends of a political spectrum perhaps, but a terrorist is a terrorist is a terrorist. They come in all colors, creeds and political affiliations.

Islamic terrorists base their behavior on their interpretation of the Koran, the hadiths, and Islamic tradition. I'm unaware of any holy book which supports David Duke and the KKK. I know of no church called the KKK or anyone who follows the prophet Duke and regards his books as God's thoughts.

The fatal flaw in the argument that moderate Muslims are going to defeat the terrorists in their midst is that the passages quoted by the Salifists actually exist. Muslims may argue about the circumstances under which killing kaffurs is mandated, or the way in which to wage jihad, but so long as they believe the Koran is infallible they can not deny the commands are still valid. Furthermore the condemnations of the Jihadi behavior will lack much authority since they are simply arguing about when and how to kill Kaffurs.

Quote:
One thing is clear about terrorist intent, that is to create a clash of civilizations and cultures. When one falls into that trap, by condeming all Islam, you have only supported the terrorist's agenda, and furthered the clash of civilizations from the other side.

The clash of civilizations is upon us whether we wish to accept it or not. Western morality differs in many ways from Sharia law. Since we are committed to our civilization and the fundamentalists are committed to theirs, there will be conflict no matter how much we try to avoid it. From our side, intellectual debate is the preferred way to resolve the differences, but from the Salifist's side the sword is often more powerful than the pen. To avoid defending our civilization is suicidal since in the end only one approach to civilization will survive in any country.

Quote:
Apparently some are getting too much of their education from books (chuckle). Or particular verses from one book, to be precise. A book scribed by man, as God's word interpreted by man, made into law by man.

When I see major Muslim schools of thoughts which are able to accept your statement, I will know Western Civilization has emerged from the crisis. The majority of Americans with whom I have talked, even those considered "fundamentralists," see a human input into their holy books. I have yet to see a similar understanding in Islamist literature. If you can find a source, please let me know since I'm interested in knowing the truth of the situation.

I doubt the majority of Muslims would call the Koran a "book scribed by man, as God's word interpreted by man, made into law by man." No matter how much we may wish the contrary that rational thought is not allowed by most Islamist countrys. Indeed in some countries I suspect the one uttering such a statement could find himself on trial for his live for "blasphemy."
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how you define "extremist fundamentalists."
-------------

I was refering to the way you have been talking about Islam in general...as if the majority support Bin Ladin's interpretation of Islam.

The fact that a billion Muslims haven't become suicide bombers is self-evident....even playing little head games as you are, you arn't that dense to believe I was refering to this.

Blashemy or not, show me physical proof Allah scribed the words of the original Quoran, or accept my premis that it was scribed by man, in any case, it has been interpreted by man and made into law by man, believing it to be the word of Allah, not Mohammed. Muslims are not stupid either, though some will take a fundemenatlist track, just as there are still folks who believe the Earth is flat.

Point being, if you've bothered to read my posts...or the news, you wouldn't be saying the targeting of Clerics in Afghanistan was some usual Muslim rivalry.

It is in fact the act of terrorists, killing off the moderate religious underpinnings of Afghan society, to drive a wedge between the people and the government. But it is backfiring big time on the terrorists.

If you were to actually sit down and read the Afghan Constitution, you would find it to be the most progressive constitution in any Muslim country on the planet. It has not only given women the right to vote and hold public office, it has protected minorities, the use of multiple languages, and a host of other provisions including free speech, freedom to worship, civil liberties in a modern sence...and at the same time honoring the Muslim laws....but not those verses you claim to be defining of Islam.

There's no cutting off of body parts like the Taliban did, no stoning of women .....better do some research Visitor, I simply don't have the time to properly educate you. Lot on my plate at the moment.

The clash of civilizations is an illusion you've bought, hook line and sinker. One that the terrorists and intolerant foster at both ends simultaneously.

I've read your posts...all of them...and you have a habit of pushing this crap down people's throats, I ain't buying your rhetoric.

Don't ask me to prove a damned thing to you, you'll only be able to realize it for yourself anyway. I can point the way, but that's all anyone can do.

The Afghan Gov. does have a website...and try the web site I posted in this thread to Azadeh55, when she asked for proof as you have.

But maybe you are a little dense, since you fail to see hoe david Duke and the KKK take their warped vision of Cristianity, and pervert it into a facist, holy-er than-though, racist agenda, insipring fear through bombings, murder, and not at all unlike al-quaida in model respects.

A terrorist is a terrorist, and they come in all colors, creeds and political affiliation...

You have the means to find the truth you seek, if you have the will and the openess to look in the mirror as you do so. Just maybe you'll see there's a whole different reality out there than what you believed prior to discussing this with me. But only you can change yourself.

Take care,

Oppie
American Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was refering to the way you have been talking about Islam in general...as if the majority support Bin Ladin's interpretation of Islam.

The fact that a billion Muslims haven't become suicide bombers is self-evident....even playing little head games as you are, you arn't that dense to believe I was refering to this.

Are you saying that anyone who disagrees with the great Oppenheimer is dense? Very Happy

I stated that all major Muslim groups I have investigated believe the Koran is God's infallible revelation. For those who do believe the Koran is infallible, the contents of the book are extremely important since they will also believe they must carry out its commands or go to hell. If you know of any major Islamic school of thought which deviates from this principle, I'd like to know about it. I'm open to alternatives.

I also specifically stated that most Muslims are not suicide bombers so I fail to follow your point on that one.

Quote:
Blashemy or not, show me physical proof Allah scribed the words of the original Quoran, or accept my premis that it was scribed by man, in any case, it has been interpreted by man and made into law by man, believing it to be the word of Allah, not Mohammed. Muslims are not stupid either, though some will take a fundemenatlist track, just as there are still folks who believe the Earth is flat.

From my investigations, it appears the only way orthodox Muslims can get away from the idea that "Allah scribed the words of the original Quoran" is to redefine Islamic theology. Perhaps there is a quiet reevaluation of what Islam is all about which is not evident on the surface. Until that reevaluation occurs we have to be realistic that yes, most religious Muslims do indeed believe and practice what is written in the Koran and the hadiths as they understand it.

Quote:
Point being, if you've bothered to read my posts...or the news, you wouldn't be saying the targeting of Clerics in Afghanistan was some usual Muslim rivalry.

It is in fact the act of terrorists, killing off the moderate religious underpinnings of Afghan society, to drive a wedge between the people and the government. But it is backfiring big time on the terrorists.

I believe the developments in Afghanistan are positive and I thought I have made that clear. I do not want to in any way belittle the accopmplishments of our American soldiers, NATO and those Afghaniis who have given their lives to overthrow the Taliban. From my memory, I believe 40% of the eligible girls are attending school. It is my understanding they would not be allowed to attend school if their fathers objected, so that is a good sign indeed.

On the other hand, I also made the point that Afghanistan is still a long ways from a modern secular society with full freedoms and human rights. Perhaps, we hope, over several generations it will progress into modernity.

Of course my statement is based on the assumption that a modern secular society is superior to one based on traditional society which usually includes some form of Sharia law. That is where the clash of civilizations is occurring and it can not be avoided. There are two fundamentally different approaches to society and each group will have to decide for themselves how they wish to live. Only by open free discussions can people have the information and facts to decide for themselves which is the better way.

Quote:
If you were to actually sit down and read the Afghan Constitution, you would find it to be the most progressive constitution in any Muslim country on the planet. It has not only given women the right to vote and hold public office, it has protected minorities, the use of multiple languages, and a host of other provisions including free speech, freedom to worship, civil liberties in a modern sence...and at the same time honoring the Muslim laws....but not those verses you claim to be defining of Islam.

Actually I know about those provisions and was happy to see them in the constitution. I have been following developments in Afghanistan closely. What isn't defined is exactly what they mean by "honoring Muslim laws." The statement about "honoring Muslim law" is sufficiently vague that it is unclear in which direction the country will eventually go. One hopes that over time they will move our direction. Europe had state churches but gradually evolved into secular societies so we can always hope.

Quote:
There's no cutting off of body parts like the Taliban did, no stoning of women .....better do some research Visitor, I simply don't have the time to properly educate you. Lot on my plate at the moment.

From our perspective, those are indeed positive developments. Obviously many people think otherwise since the Taliban still has many supporters particularly in NW Pakistan. It is in places like that and in countries like Saudi Arabia where I see the clash of civilizations.

Quote:
But maybe you are a little dense, since you fail to see hoe david Duke and the KKK take their warped vision of Cristianity, and pervert it into a facist, holy-er than-though, racist agenda, insipring fear through bombings, murder, and not at all unlike al-quaida in model respects.

I guess by your definition, I'm indeed "a little dense" since I've met no one who trys to defend the KKK from Christian teachings. I don't know enough about David Duke and what he taught to say much about him. Have you ever talked to someone who tried to defend those things from Christian theology?

Quote:
I've read your posts...all of them...and you have a habit of pushing this crap down people's throats, I ain't buying your rhetoric.

Don't ask me to prove a damned thing to you, you'll only be able to realize it for yourself anyway. I can point the way, but that's all anyone can do.

It appears we will have to agree to disagree. If by expressing my opinions I'm "pushing this crap down people's throats" the same could be applied to you when you express your opinion, except I'm sure you think your ideas are pearls. That is what freedom of speech is all about is sharing ideas and listening to responses.

I hope your optimistic outlook on the future is correct. I'd rather view things from that perspective. President Bush has rolled the dice in Afghanistan and Iraq; time will give us answers.
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To disagree or not to disagree is not the question.

Shakespere: Inverse squared.

Its all depending on the interpretation one approaches the table with. You seem to have made your mind up about Islam ingeneral, but it is illogical and unwise to create an enemy out of an entire religious culture's population when a small percentage is actually creating problems.

This is why I object to certain aspects to the the pressure on civil liberties that exist now in free societies. Folks reacting to a real threat to their existance will generally tend to act in extreme ways..fear. Take a Jihadi...I see fear.
Fear that the western society he views as corrupt will overwhelm his culture, traditions, and he's been taught fear, not hope for the future as incentive to get a life, but taught to take one. Fear on the other hand is contagious. Jihadi will by his reasoning be justified in his mind; in interpretation (human) of Allah's word ; Whether admittedly or not this is against god or Haram simply because jihadi is arrogent to "know" what god's words mean. Lot of verses talk about "infidel" as a topic. Jihadi don't realize if Allah was going to spread the word, he would have done so in all cutures, in their own language so they could understand it.
Oh, but the jihadi is convinced that Allah told him that he was special, this interpretation is the only valid one. Not even thinking that those verses may relate to the internal struggle within one's self to self dicipline, the infidel part of one's self must be cut off at the head, for instance.

By comparison the KKK cloaks itself around Cristanity, traditions, ceremony....and teaches hate from day-one to its youngest members, by adult members. Jihadi grew up in a similar environment.
One could look at a Bible, or the Quoran as a textbook on living life, or how to go about it. It is subject to interpretation, and the proof is in the world around you..as you as an individual describe it. Or I do, or Jihadi does, or the KKK or anyone in any other cutural or religious society does.

I tend to look at what's common between folks rather than what's different for the most part. The common things among all peoples outweigh the differences...that's why we haven't committed collective nuclear suicide as a species even as close as we've come to it in the past.

Differences lead to war, and likenesses tend to lead to solutions.

Folks generally will want have to have a decent life, raise their kids in hope they have a decent future and a better present in process.
The human condition then is 2% what happens to you, and 98% how you deal with it, because we live in the present, and can only extrapolate through the past and look to the future in the moment.

To a lot of people, the past is a real screwed up mess and it colors the present, and vice versa....What colors the present creates a real screwed up mess.

I happen to believe, because nothing you've said so far has proven otherwise, that you came to the table in fear of Islam taking over your world, culture, and all that goes with it.
If I think that's dense in attitude when only a fraction of the Muslim world, a cult if you will, has decreed for everyone else what Allah's word means., then it doesn't matter so much what I think about your thinking or mine, but whether it's true or not.

There's as many interpretations of God, Allah, or by any other name, or no name at all, as there are people on the planet.

If everyone believes their interpretation is special, is anyone's?

Back to the table, a lot of Iranians think the EU must be "dense" for ingnoring the nature of the regime, and the effect it has in a negative for the Persian cutural heritage, its people's civil liberties, it's confrontationalism with the west, that not only threatens other people, but inherently threatens Iranians, directly and not.

Global Islam as interpreted as the unelected see fit.

Any facist, totalitarian or tyranical regime or group uses tools to bend the will of the masses to a certain interpretation in accordance with thiers, regardless if there's billions of interpretations out there among individuals.

Free societies then are those where the individual has his interpretation and the right to express it protected by social construct of the rule of law.

Afghan or Iraqi "democracy" isn't going to look like American-Jeffersonian Democracy, nor should it have to. It's ultimately going to have to work for their cultural traditions, as individuals.

When push comes to shove, we in America go through a revolution every four years or so around election time, or at least an insurrection of sorts. We do this peacefully, and by loyal opposition if so inclined. So it is done with individual interpretations put forward in the form of a vote.

So in the sence of those in "loyal opposition" to the interpretation in power, consultation is key to retaining loyalty, respecting and understanding opposing interpretations, by recognizing the common elements that hold society together. Family, tradition, culture in general, and religion. If the law guarrantees the right to voice interpretation, it does not grant the right to force others to agree with it , for it would nulify the individual's right to interpret BY CHOICE.

Therefore it is impossible to force democracy on people as they have choice in the matter, and it is also true when that is said by contrast, tyrany is forcibly imposed on an individual through fear, creating fear in mind and body of the population.

Hitler used the Jews as interpreted, KKK uses race as interpreted, Jihadi uses infidel as interpreted.

But it is all intolerance of ethnicity, and an ego centered vision of superiority in being "special" that leads to defining a general population as "the enemy", rather than individuals within it..forcing that intolerance down it's own population's throat, by various means.

It's kind of hard to sustain intolerance in a diverse society, because intolerance is inherently a threat to it, and will be addressed by other interpretations within society.

Took America a long road to do this, and enacting laws by constitutional amendment to address intolerance of many kinds.

So if I suggest that Islam needs to issue a fatwa to address jihadi terrorism and intolerance, in essence a jihad against jihad, becoming an internal jihad within Islam itself to protect it's social fabric as representitive of Muslim society, and interpretation of Allah's word.

It would be no different were I to suggest to Congress it needs to put the KKK on the list of terrorist groups. Due to terrorism and intolerance. That the law needs constitutional ammendment to protect the social fabric of American society...which is how civil rights legislation was adopted in the Congress, to address terrorism and intolerance.

KKK bombed a church killing people, Jihadi blows up a mosque, killing people...is the fear generated different? Is the method? The result?

"Are you intolerant of intolerance?" You ask..(like some trick question someone playing head games would ask)..."Disgusted with stupidity" is more accurate in answer.
American Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its all depending on the interpretation one approaches the table with. You seem to have made your mind up about Islam ingeneral, but it is illogical and unwise to create an enemy out of an entire religious culture's population when a small percentage is actually creating problems.

I hope you are correct. I believe there are many decent Muslim people and do not consider them all enemies but the theology taught in the holy books is another matter. The only major Muslim group which I think may have moved beyond the violence to some extent are the Sufis.

Your argument that there is a conflict within Islam is good. There are clearly people within the Muslim community who would like to have the good things available in Western Civilization. Until there is a theological reformation within Islam as there was over the past 500 years in the Christian world, I don't see how that can happen. So far I haven't seen any indication of major theological re-evaluations within Islam, but one can always hope.

Also, whether we like it or not the conflict is not just within Islam. Many non-Muslim populations are suffering because of Islamist inspired agression including the Buddhists in southern Thailand. When I hear someone shouting Allu Akbar while sawing of a Christian, Hindu, Buddhist or athiest head I can't completely separate that individual from his religion. Until the majority of Muslims are willing to give up their ideas dividing the world into the "house of Islam" and the "house of war" those atrocities will be a regular occurance. Most Muslims aren't terrorists but a great many Muslims have bought into an ideology which lends support to the terrorists. The statistics gathered among Muslims out of England are not good.

Your point about fear is also good. Fear is very protective if it leads to a rational analysis of the situation and an appropriate response. Unfortunately, too often fear leads to counterproductive behavior which only worsens the situation. I believe that is what the terrorists are hoping for, an irrational fear reaction among non-Muslims which causes them to give up their voluntarily to protect themselves or to negotiate away their freedoms and become good little dhimmi. What I'm advocating is first an honest evaluation of our enemies and what motivates them and then a rational response which will be heavy on philosophical truths and logical answers to the threat. Military solutions should be limited.

Quote:
By comparison the KKK cloaks itself around Cristanity, traditions, ceremony....and teaches hate from day-one to its youngest members, by adult members. Jihadi grew up in a similar environment.
One could look at a Bible, or the Quoran as a textbook on living life, or how to go about it. It is subject to interpretation, and the proof is in the world around you..as you as an individual describe it. Or I do, or Jihadi does, or the KKK or anyone in any other cutural or religious society does.

I really don't like the KKK example since it is so far removed from the Christian teachings. Some of those people may have gone to church but I doubt they actually believed the Bible supported their killing innocent people. The only thing I see in the Christian world today which is similar to the Islamic terrorists are those folks who have killed abortion doctors. Many conservative Christians believe abortion is wrong and would support protests so one can see how a deranged individual could go beyond the pale and indulge in murder. What those people who commit murder don't have is an extensive support network since the overwhelming majority of Christians totally reject the violence. Unfortunately, in Islam the terrorists do have an extensive network of religious supporters which reaches up into the leadership level of countries such as Iran, Saudi Arabia and Sudan. The jihadis don't just wrap themselves in religion, they actually expcet Allah to reward them for their murders.

Quote:
To a lot of people, the past is a real screwed up mess and it colors the present, and vice versa....What colors the present creates a real screwed up mess.

I believe George Bush told Putin they had to "avoid becoming prisoners of the past and make good history." The past is only important if people are unwilling to learn from it and make corrections in future conduct. To be ignorant of the past is also dangerous.

Quote:
I happen to believe, because nothing you've said so far has proven otherwise, that you came to the table in fear of Islam taking over your world, culture, and all that goes with it.
If I think that's dense in attitude when only a fraction of the Muslim world, a cult if you will, has decreed for everyone else what Allah's word means., then it doesn't matter so much what I think about your thinking or mine, but whether it's true or not.

If we don't defend our culture, we will lose it. I believe the good common sense of the American people will prevail. But in the mean time we are in for a difficult time.

There are clearly a substantial portion of those in the Islamic community who do wish to take over the whole world. No matter how much we wish to deny it, Islam continues to be a very aggressive religion in many parts of the world. Clearly many people born in Islamic countries who are considered Muslim, because of their birth, don't buy the teachings of the most radical clerics. Some of them will probably agree that there is "no book scribed by God." What percentage are moderate I do not know, however a very large portion do believe the Koran is infallible and the hadiths are more accurate than any other holy book.

Quote:
There's as many interpretations of God, Allah, or by any other name, or no name at all, as there are people on the planet.

If everyone believes their interpretation is special, is anyone's?

At one time I thought the same way, all religions lead to the same place. We're all equally right and equally wrong. Over time I have come to the realization that my outlook was wrong. How we view God has a great deal to do with how we relate to each other.

People have evolved or were created with a need to believe in the transcendent. Even atheists often end up embracing something or someone who serves as their idol. It doesn't matter if the individual is Carl Marx, Hitler, or Chairman Mao with his little red book, people idolize and practically worship those individuals and follow their every word as if given by God. This individual provides them with moral orientation and gives their lives meaning and direction.

Each religion or movement provides it's own unique paradigm from which people operate. They are not interchangeable. For most of man's history, they have been ruled by authoritarian figures who were often worshiped as Gods. The power flowed down from above and the people obeyed from fear. This type of government is still practiced in many parts of the world. It is easy to forget just how unique a situation we have in the United States with our republican form of government with our freedoms and prosperity. It is also easy to overlook why there are so many places in the world have tried and failed to establish a better government. The question is why do so many people fail to live freely?

From my own thinking, I've concluded this did not arise from accident. The moral foundations were established on the Judeo-Christian morals found in the Jewish and Christian holy books and cultures. The majority of reform movements in America including our constitution with it's bill of rights, the abolition movement, and most recently the civil rights movement in our country were led by Christian believers. Martin Luther King as you well know was a Baptist minister and was a very spiritual man.

Only by constant spiritual struggle have we been able to keep our democracy alive and healthy and been able to maintain our freedoms. Many thousands of our ancestors died in the field of battle first to decide the slavery issue and later to defeat the Nazi menace. For many, this sacrifice was motivated by love of God, love of country and love of freedom.

Unfortunately about 40 years ago, things changed. Whether it was because of the Vietnam war or because the "greatest generation" were too busy working to transmit their values to their children, things definitely changed. Many of the children and grandchildren of the men who died to "make the world safe for democracy" decided dictators were better than elected leaders. Mass murderers and tyrants such as Pol Pot, the leaders of Vietnam, Mao and Castro became the heroes who were to be honored and emulated. Even today it is fashionable to wear shirts with Che Guevara's picture on display with no regard to the many people he killed in cold blood or his love of totalitarian government. These same people openly rejected the religious and moral foundations of Western society and went to war against those who held traditional views.

Quote:
Afghan or Iraqi "democracy" isn't going to look like American-Jeffersonian Democracy, nor should it have to. It's ultimately going to have to work for their cultural traditions, as individuals.

How things play out in Afghanistan when the American soldiers leave will be interesting.

Quote:
"Are you intolerant of intolerance?" You ask..(like some trick question someone playing head games would ask)..."Disgusted with stupidity" is more accurate in answer.

I thought that question might get the wheels spinning. Very Happy
I'm really not trying to trick you, just having a good discussion. Why do you consider my question a head game, I think it is perfectly legitimate?

I believe we as a society have missed the mark with our intolerance for intolerance. For me, the real issue is, do we tolerate violence against the innocent? Do we teach love for all humanity? Do we face down the criminals and tyrants who want to do harm to other people?
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we as a society have missed the mark with our intolerance for intolerance.

---------

How so?

---------

For me, the real issue is, do we tolerate violence against the innocent?

---------

Well let me ask you then how you define violence? Do you include the passive agressive?

A few examples of passive agressive:

famine- starvation, economic, racial and cultural bigotry, silence, political propaganda (as defined by deception, distraction, discreditation, and dismemberment of any "opposing" viewpoint), disease.

As it is said, one can "sin by silence", as it may be the most passive of all agression.

---------

Do we teach love for all humanity?

---------

Or do we simply try to create a tolerant mindset among global citizens?

---------

Do we face down the criminals and tyrants who want to do harm to other people?

----------

Moot question. In Progress.

Reason I use the KKK as comparitive analysis is that racial segregation in the South was supported by those opposed to change in the status quo..and not silently ( signs placed in restaraunts, "No blacks allowed")

That's just one example of the base support that fed (and created the KKK) and had for a very long time, in a large percentage of the total population in the Southeast US.

I see no difference when Germany under Hitler of the 30-40's had the very same mindset, and methodology...the scale is a bit different, as the KKK has never governed a nation.

The mullahs in Iran have a long history of oppression of all other religious denominations indiginous to Persia..Zoroasterism, Bahai, Jew, Cristian, etc.

All with the intent of creating a monochromatic society, not recognizing that it is those differences that comprise the strength and diversity of society.
America was lucky in one way, that it was a melting post of immigrents, and the various indiginous tribes of peope, while their society was vastly dirupted through bigotry and the colonial mindset of the age, is at least now, not only recognised to be soveign nations within the United States, but there are member of this indiginous culture representive in Congress.

Long hard road to get there. Democracy in its evolutionary process is no picnic for any nation brave enough to experiment with it.

A totalitarian regime unable and unwilling to adapt fails utterly by its very nature to be self sustaining for long (and in long, I'm talking about in comparison to democracy as a system of govenment continuously for over 200 years in the US.)

Hitler lasted for about a decade, Saddam lasted for three, the mullahs are pushing three as well.

Yet you see changes happening. Yemen's leader (of a quarter century) stepping down, to make way for the new generation.

Saudi Arabia adopting representation by vote ( not totally, but a start)

(And you should take into account the vast private donations that were involved, If you had something to show it's government was involved in what you have alluded to, that's a far better way to convince me.)

Again here I stress that if mindset can be changed (which it does anyway, over time.) then so can the future.

Instilling a mindset by force, fear, and propaganda, generally is no match for the force of reason, in individuals.

The rule of the gun is an added dimention that poses other factors on whether something I wrote back the day we started bombing the Taliban.

Oct 7, the 2001

"A revolution is fast opon us, not one from without, but from within, it is one of thoughts. Islam is going to change from this just as we going to be changed, in this let us minimize the finger pointing, in this I suggest we all remember why our feet point forward(to walk upright)and why our eyes are at the front of our heads(to not look backwards while walking). "

"As the memories of Russian bombs are still fresh, so are we also creating memories. My hope is that as with Germany and Japan, the citizens forgive our trespasses as they come to understand the truth of the matter, that their own leaders were to blame."

"In my memories of Watergate, what made me proud to be witness to, was watching as the laws of this nation kept it intact. So too, opon the debate coming about proper nation building, that our laws be the guide, history our teacher, and the individual, our inspiration."

-------------end excerpts-------

When one considers the fact that a varied and representitive group of Immams and clerics got to gether recently in Jordan , and issued a ruling that declared bin Ladin "an apostate" of Islam....it follows logicly that (as these individuals represented millions of Muslims in various schools of thought (as these were very influental individuals)...by shura, if one considers the basic forum of consultation and deliberation.

Al Quaida and bin Ladin "appostates"....A total regection of that interpretation of Islam by a great majority of Muslims, as influenced by these teachers of Islam.

Now , logical deduction would bring one to the conclusion that there's more than one way to interpret verse in the quoran as well as the way Islam is dealing with a "cancer" within its own social body.

Just as Congress dealt with Segregation as a "cancer" in American society.

It took people Like MLK to change mindsets with an alternate perspective, and provide possibilities for solutions.

"I have a dream..." was all about perspective, common sense over violence, and precept of vision that could result in permanent resolution.

Took an act of Congress 40 years ago this week to do so. The Voting Rights Act of 1965, assuring democracy in America was inclusive of all people.

Hard to put things to you clearer than this, but how society goes about dealing with an internal illness among the family of nations, is , and must be varied, just as cancer treatment is a combination of therepy to be effective.

"If there is one thing about people that's a given, it's that they can only change themselves. You can try to understand them, change their circumstances, try to point the roads to peace, but in the end, they must want it for themselves, knowing what the alternatives are."

Visitor, there's been more change of government in the mideast in the last 8 months than there's been in hundreds of years....

People are looking at possibilities, solutions to some nagging problems in social structure, education, economics, a forum of the future exists.

Go look for it...(chuckle) I got Michael's Moore's answer to "Dude, where's my country?" It's where you choose to look for it.
American Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well let me ask you then how you define violence? Do you include the passive agressive?

A few examples of passive agressive:

famine- starvation, economic, racial and cultural bigotry, silence, political propaganda (as defined by deception, distraction, discreditation, and dismemberment of any "opposing" viewpoint), disease.

Here is a dictionary definition of violence.
"Physical force exerted for the purpose of violating, damaging, or abusing: crimes of violence." I believe sins of "commission" such as violence against the innocent must be dealt with first, then we address the sins of "omission."

The other physical ills you have mentioned are things we should eliminate but are not usually "violence." In older times, economic ills and starvation were often caused by natural vicissitudes but now are more often caused by bad government.

Cultural bigotry is practiced by everyone including you and I. The culture of many "progressive" Western people is largely defined by a peculiar brand of "tolerance" which in practice accepts all cultures uncritically except for their own. They show great "tolerance" for those far away but little for who hold traditional American cultural views.

Are all cultures are really equal? I don't think so. What about the Aztec culture which used to offer mass sacrifices to their gods on a regular basis? I read recently they would first throw their victims on a fire and scald them before cutting out their hearts to offer to their gods. Are we committed to admire that culture just as much as we admire the Buddhists? I don't.

What about American culture? I don't hold it above reproach either. Were those people who fought against American slavery wrong because the culture condoned slavery? If I came from a society which is racist, do you have to admire my culture? Are we not bigoted against racists and their culture? If we can acknowledge our own cultural failings why should we ignore those in other cultures?

Quote:
Reason I use the KKK as comparitive analysis is that racial segregation in the South was supported by those opposed to change in the status quo..and not silently ( signs placed in restaraunts, "No blacks allowed")

That's just one example of the base support that fed (and created the KKK) and had for a very long time, in a large percentage of the total population in the Southeast US.

If you are talking about those opposed to change, then I understand your analogy better, I thought you were using it to illustrate folks who had primarily a religious motivation for their crimes. I simply can not see much Christian motivation for someone to blow up a Christian church with young children in it.

Of course if we hold culture to be sacred, not to be criticized by those outside the culture, then the KKK would be in the right to defend their culture by whatever means their culture allowed. People from outside the culture were attacking it and they didn't like it. On the other hand if we place a universal brotherhood of all mankind and the respect of the rights of the individual as our greatest good even above respect for culture, then of course racism deserved to be attacked.

Quote:
I see no difference when Germany under Hitler of the 30-40's had the very same mindset, and methodology...the scale is a bit different, as the KKK has never governed a nation.

I agree, Germany was racist and the KKK were racists, both were very wrong.

Getting back to the culture thing. The German culture was anti-Semitic. From what I have read it was not very bad among the Germans until Hitler came along and fed them propaganda and encouraged the hatred, but that was the culture of the third Reich and of many of the German people at the time America declared war on Germany. Although most Germans probably didn't know all that was going on, killing Jews at least at the leadership level was also their culture and yet I see no reason why we should admire it. Cultures often do go off the tracks and need reforming.

I knew when I said Islam needed a reformation, such as that which is still in progress in Christianity, it would upset you. If I understand you correctly, you seem to have no difficulty agreeing that Christianity needed reforming, but believe it is bigoted for me to state that Islam also needs to reform. That is my opinion still, that Islam as practiced today in many places, like Saudi Arabia, badly needs reforms. I understand there are over a billion Muslims in the world, and suspect there are many Muslims who are quietly rethinking what it means to be a Muslim, but to my knowledge they are still isolated individuals and haven't become a united movement yet.

Quote:
The mullahs in Iran have a long history of oppression of all other religious denominations indiginous to Persia..Zoroasterism, Bahai, Jew, Cristian, etc.

That is exactly what I'm talking about! On this we agree. The thing I object to in Islam is the theologically based persecution of other people who don't belong to their religion. I particularly object to the teachings that apostates from Islam must die. I think the fatws against Salman Rushdie even though he is living in a non-Muslim land are outrageous and shouldn't be tolerated. That type of theology must be rectified before Islamic society can be healthy.

I know, I used the word tolerated. Very Happy

Quote:
All with the intent of creating a monochromatic society, not recognizing that it is those differences that comprise the strength and diversity of society.
America was lucky in one way, that it was a melting post of immigrents, and the various indiginous tribes of peope, while their society was vastly dirupted through bigotry and the colonial mindset of the age, is at least now, not only recognised to be soveign nations within the United States, but there are member of this indiginous culture representive in Congress.

Long hard road to get there. Democracy in its evolutionary process is no picnic for any nation brave enough to experiment with it.

I agree with you once again. Democracy by itself can become nothing but a tyranny of the majority. Only when it is combined with moral principles recognizing the universal brotherhood of all mankind and the basic human rights can it be the wonderful thing we are enjoying in the USA. We aren't perfect, but at least we are trying.

Quote:
A totalitarian regime unable and unwilling to adapt fails utterly by its very nature to be self sustaining for long (and in long, I'm talking about in comparison to democracy as a system of govenment continuously for over 200 years in the US.)

I'm not sure about that one. The Roman Empire lasted for many hundreds of years with terrible human rights abuses, slavery and a totalitarian system. It was actually the Roman republic which was temporary and was replaced by the emperor. That can happen in our own country if we don't carefully nurture our culture. Those who thought Germany could never fall for a madman like "Hitler" were proven wrong and many of them died in the death camps because they made that assumption. The culture which brought us our freedoms and democracy is very precious and needs to be nurtured and cherished.

Quote:
Again here I stress that if mindset can be changed (which it does anyway, over time.) then so can the future.

I agree with you here also. That is why freedom of speech is so important. None of us are always correct, we need to discuss ideas to arrive at what is best.

Quote:
"As the memories of Russian bombs are still fresh, so are we also creating memories. My hope is that as with Germany and Japan, the citizens forgive our trespasses as they come to understand the truth of the matter, that their own leaders were to blame."

I think that is well stated. However, I believe the sins extended much deeper into the cultures than just the leaders. Although the leaders led public opinion, they were also products of their culture and could not have committed their crimes against humanity without the willing support of their subjects.

Quote:
When one considers the fact that a varied and representitive group of Immams and clerics got to gether recently in Jordan , and issued a ruling that declared bin Ladin "an apostate" of Islam....it follows logicly that (as these individuals represented millions of Muslims in various schools of thought (as these were very influental individuals)...by shura, if one considers the basic forum of consultation and deliberation.

That is a good first move. Now will they please declare the Mullah's of Iran "apostates" for issuing fatwas against Salman Rushdie to have him murdered, and for their other crimes against humanity? When they do, I will be much more impressed. Incidentally, Salman Rushdie has called for a "reform" in Islam, those words didn't originate from me.

Quote:
Visitor, there's been more change of government in the mideast in the last 8 months than there's been in hundreds of years....

Your point is well taken that societies change slowly and sometimes the change is below the surface where others might miss it. I agree with you that there is much "genius" in George Bush's approach which he has not communicated well. Only time will tell if his approach has produced lasting positive results.
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Cultural bigotry is practiced by everyone including you and I."

So you say Visitor...but it is patently false in generalization, you may feel free to include yourself, but since I grew up with bigotry directed against me personally every day, I had a choice whether to become a bigot as a product of my environment in reaction to it, or the choice simply to react in a more positive manner, including kicking bigot's ass, until they figured it wasn't worth their pain and suffering to bother me.

You say we should all learn to love one another, that's all fine with me...sometimes it takes a "tough love" education to bring about a different mindset in others.

Terrorists are by the very essence of their nature...bigots. Intolerant to anything and anyone that does not fit their acceptable criteria. And what defines them as terrorists is the targeting of unarmed and innocent civilians.

This is a broad, universal definition....and the KKK "Klu Klux Klan", a part of the following...meets the criteria.

You'll note the source here as one of the premier data-bases on terrorist org's outside of the US gov.

http://www.tkb.org/Home.jsp

Aryan Nations (AN)
Base of Operation: United States

Founding Philosophy: Aryan Nations (AN) is an umbrella group for factions of the Klan and other right-wing extremists. Aryan Nations founder Richard Butler dubbed Aryan Nation's headquarters in Hayden Lake, Idaho, the "international headquarters of the White race," (ADL, 245), and the white supremacist community seems to agree. The RAND Institute describes Aryan Nations as the "first truly nationwide terrorist network."

Aryan Nations advocates Christian Identity, white supremacy, and neo-Nazism. Its goal is to form "a national racial state. We shall have it at whatever price is necessary. Just as our forefathers purchased their freedom in blood so must we". We will have to kill the bastards." (Butler, quoted in ADL, 244)

Until Aryan Nations lost its Hayden Lake property in 2000, the compound was the site of regular white supremacist festivals known as the World Congress of Aryan Nations. The festivals trained attendees in urban terrorism and guerilla warfare and gave prominent white supremacists a chance to network. The group ran an "Aryan Nations Academy" in the early 1980s to teach young people the principles of white nationalism. The group has been reaching out to prisoners with a message of white supremacy since 1979.

Current Goals: During the 1990s, Aryan Nations suffered from internal struggles, and several key leaders departed. In September of 2000, a jury awarded Victoria and Jason Keenan $6.3 million in damages because the two had been chased and shot at by Aryan Nations guards outside the Idaho compound. Butler and Aryan Nations were bankrupted, and the Idaho compound was seized. The group has currently splintered into three factions: one headed by Butler, one located in Pennsylvania and led by August Kreis and Charles Juba, and a group calling itself The Church of the Sons of YHVH/Legion of Saints (Church of the Sons of Yahweh), led by Ray Redfeairn Morris Gulet.

---------

"Are we not bigoted against racists and their culture?"

Wrong definition of "bigot" , Playing semantic word games and parsing **** to hell and back will not lead you to a greater understanding.

Again you try and include me in a flatly biased premis of a question designed for idiots who usually like to play semantics with you....Told you before I'm not buying it, and now you are simply pissing me off with your lack of respect. In fact you came off on the wrong foot with me, and you're still hopping around like your trying to catch me in some dicotomy of reason....sorry, better luck next time.

You again equate the culture with the crime, wheras it is individuals who comit them....sometimes society is fully engaged, as slavery was "legal" in the sence no law had been passed against it. Those were the times people lived in then, just as dropping two atomic bombs on Japan were a product of those times, and trying to end a war that had taken 50 million lives, and would have cost between 6-10 million more had the bombs not ended the war, and we'd invaded Japan. Those are the estimates given by Defense Dept at the time...with the war lasting till 48 or so.

Well now you may say that jihad is legal in Islam...but how does this manifest legally?..internally within the individual? or externally against society.. the latter is the basis for bin Ladin being declared an "apostate of Islam"
...or more definitavely..."one who acts against Allah, in the name of Islam".

Times change, people change, and because of change, cultures are subject to the same parameters over time.

What is "fundementalism" if not a reversal of change over time...to go back to a past system is a change as well, an intolerance of progress and change that has to be, in the fundementalist's eyes, reversed back to "the good old days". (to put it in real generic terms, ...Chuckle).

We were speaking of Afghanistan, well there's a real good article you should read in today's Washington Post on ex-Taliban who've elected to be a part of the solution rather than part of the problem. They have embraced change as society is effected inevitably by it, as Afghans have regected the Taliban mindset.

Back at the end of WW2, the Nazi party was disbanded, and no longer a legitimate political org in German society. Even during the Marshall plan, there were the throwbacks to the good ol' days...they were called "werewolves"...ex-Nazi's terrorising folks and occasionally doing harm to allied occupation forces. A lot of Germans were members of the Nazi party, not unlike the Bathists in Iraq today....as individuals, they didn't have a hell of a lot of choice if they wanted a little peace or avoid a knock on their door at night by the Gestapo,... or Saddam's thuggies....no difference with the Taliban...it's habitual with totalitarianism....Stalin's USSR ....Read Kennan's "very long letter" he wrote as "X" back in the late 40's...give you some serious food for thought on the nature of totalitarianism, by any adaptation of form.

But those I mentioned above were individuals, Visitor....Just as America dealt with Slavery, Bigotry, and White supremacists through the rule of law, so have Muslim nations by and large adapted law to deal with the terrorists, and the financing, support, etc. within their respective nations and societies.

As is Islam dealing with what is essentially an internal phenomena affecting individuals by wrong thinking and wrong teaching by INDIVIDUALS within Islam.

The US is dealing with aspects of the geo-political environment that have given rise to the acceptance of those "apostate" teachings as part of the "treatment" of the patient, and Islam itself condems it, with the Quoran itself....you think perhaps they had no reference to decree bin Ladin "apostate of Islam"? They had their law, as given by Allah. Scribed by, and interpreted by man none the less, bin Ladin has been undone by the very book he used to corrupt other's thinking with.

Listen, if the mullahs (and I think they will in UN Assembly, September) are condemed by the international community as a terrorist, bigoted, and murdeous regime, headed by terrorists, bigots and murderers, then you may see another ruling...especially if ties to bin Ladin and Al-quiaida are confirmed.

Rushdi is but one individual....about as influential as Michael Moore in a way. But he doesn't speak for a nation, or influence policy.

What did it take...100 years before America put constitutional amendment to work to protect the freedom and civil liberties inherent to all individuals in the US?

You expect the wake up call Muslims have had, along with the rest of the world to be a "snap your fingers and POOF!" there's no more terrorism.?
You think Rushdi, or even a fatwa against him will change anything, or a call to recind it? It won't make a dent in the problem, because that's only treating a manifestation of it...a symtom...not the disease itself.

What did MLK do when he decided to march to Selma?

What did the US do when it invaded Afghanistan and Iraq?

There's a common denominator in these two seemingly disparate events. And in this I'll also address those who feel the US created terrorists by doing so by going to war.

Here's a metaphor...Ants. How do you deal with a big nasty terrorist ant pile in the middle of your organic garden..you don't want to poke a stick in the hole or do things half-way, nor do you want to use pesicides or other means that would permanently harm the nature of the garden (and you may consider the garden- society, culture, or the planet iself if you like).

What MLK did was set out a jar of honey to attract all the KKK bigots and terrorists, by marching to Selma. All of a sudden folks all across America were suddenly looking...at what up until then , had been done to blacks in the cover of night, and by subtle means of segregation. But MLK exposed it to the whole of America, the church bombings, the crosses burning, beatings, the "dissapeared", and the lynched. A heavy price was paid to do so. Gandi paid a similar price.

Well now, America changed for the better as a result, and after 9/11, (at a time and place of our choosing) we've been dealing with terrorism the same way...the jar of honey in this case is freedom and democracy, not that much different than the honey MLK set out.

So we buried two jars right next to the ant pile, and so far they've collected a lot of dead ants....but more to the point, the US has exposed the problem as one of being global in scale, one which the EU is just getting woken up about.....

Thing is MLK didn't create the bigots that attacked his people on that march, they'd been there all along, hiding in the shadows of the social structure of the deep South.

Nor did we create the terrorists that killed citizens of over 80 nations on 9/11, they hid within the social structure of Islam...and now they are exposed for what and who they are...a menace to civilization, peace, development, and security. A menace to societies all, globally, and Islam is not immune....

You don't see the relevence in a KKK church bombing, and a jihadi bombing a mosque?

Both are acts against God, life, civil liberties, and intended to instil fear for a political purpose.

See, you claim that American culture was in need of reform and it was, but the vast majority of Americans elsewhere had no real conception of the corruption that existed, or the extent of it at least.

You claim that I don't think Islam needs reform...no it needs something else....cancer treatment...the patient must recognise the illness to treat it, that's the first step, whether that is Islam, or whether it be America of the 1960's...it's really a very apt comparitive analysis.

Now Islam knows to what extent the corruption of its teachings has wrought, and knows to what extent it exists within that social structure.

The way to deal with it? Is through their own laws, education...and the leaders of all (with a few notable exceptions) Muslim nations have not just declared war on terrorism as policy, but are actively engaging with the Muslim religious community to deal with the corruption within ranks.

But again it boils down to individuals, and how they address the issue, or what side they take on it, not the Culture as a whole. I wonder if there's a Muslim Gandi out there somewhere....maybe his name is Ganji...but time will tell.

Again, in America, it was a small segment of the population causing problems, and those supporting segregation were a bigger percentage, but not a majority by any means of the whole.

The same is true with Islam.

Now there's a lot of factors at work against terrorism, not just the role Islam must play to address it.....a few years ago I wrote this along with a few other things you've read....and it still makes a lot of sense...and is in keeping with the US being an original signatory to the UN charter...

{ We've been accused of playing world cop, as a nation. If you ask any officer on any street in the U.S. what his/her least favorite call to get is and they'll more than likely say, "Domestic disputes". This is the only politically correct way I can think to describe the current world situation. If we must play that role, they need to understand that there's a new sheriff in town, determined to prevent domestic violence.
This goes as well for the Mideast, the Korean, and other long standing conflicts.
To "protect and serve humanity, and ensure the preservation of civilization, of all cultures, and ways of tradition that an individual or nation has the inalienable right to choose for themselves as they see fit, so long as it harms no other individual's, or nation's ability to do so."
With this as our philosophy, as policy, the "undiscovered country" may become reality. This is not a role that should be played unilaterally, as it is essentially all nation's task.}

- 1/10/2002 (Oppenheimer) "Exit options" - part 2

Note: It was put as an "option" not an "exit strategy", or a "success strategy", as the press and the Whitehouse have been at odds over the terms.

I offered options, simply because who the hell am I to tell my government what to do in wartime? If they chose to have thought about it when it was published in an 18 page letter by the DOE...a broad range of issues intertwined...maybe it gave them some food for thought. A few solutions along with the analysis usually gets folks thinking about the solutions instead of blowing off a citizen's NIE "national inteligence estimate".

Seems like a global problen, demanding a global solution...and it seems that that's exactly the conclusion Mr. Bush has placed into effect via policy and action with partners.

Now, to prove why this quote above rings true with the UN Charter as well, check this out...lot of reading...but after your done you'll understand why I say the Iranian regime is a legitimate "test case" for UN reform in every conceivable way.

http://www.un.org/ga/59/hl60_plenarymeeting.html

This ought to keep you busy for awhile...Chuckle....
American Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So you say Visitor...but it is patently false in generalization, you may feel free to include yourself, but since I grew up with bigotry directed against me personally every day, I had a choice whether to become a bigot as a product of my environment in reaction to it, or the choice simply to react in a more positive manner, including kicking bigot's ass, until they figured it wasn't worth their pain and suffering to bother me.

Sorry to hear about your early environment. One would think the grandson of Oppenheimer the scientist would receive quite a bit of respect. Somehow your statement about kicking people's ass doesn't surprise me. Very Happy

Quote:
Again you try and include me in a flatly biased premis of a question designed for idiots who usually like to play semantics with you....Told you before I'm not buying it, and now you are simply pissing me off with your lack of respect. In fact you came off on the wrong foot with me, and you're still hopping around like your trying to catch me in some dicotomy of reason....sorry, better luck next time.

What a surprise! Strange but I don't remember trying to get off on the right or wrong foot with you.

Quote:
But those I mentioned above were individuals, Visitor....Just as America dealt with Slavery, Bigotry, and White supremacists through the rule of law, so have Muslim nations by and large adapted law to deal with the terrorists, and the financing, support, etc. within their respective nations and societies.

When the terrorists began blowing up people in Saudi Arabia, it was only a matter of time until their religious establishment would react. That is really not the aspect of fundamentalist Islamic society I'm concerned about. News like this is much more indicative of where the society is and where they need to go.
http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=48330&version=1&template_id=41&parent_id=23
Those who believe human freedom transcends culture have to be concerned about news like this.

Incidentally, it is my understanding Pakistan was at one time a democracy and lost it. I admired Benazir Bhutto and her family friendly version of Islam, but she is now in exile and the democracy is history. Supposedly she was corrupt, but who knows exactly what happened. All I know is that democracy can disappear very quickly if we aren't careful.

Quote:
The US is dealing with aspects of the geo-political environment that have given rise to the acceptance of those "apostate" teachings as part of the "treatment" of the patient, and Islam itself condems it, with the Quoran itself....you think perhaps they had no reference to decree bin Ladin "apostate of Islam"? They had their law, as given by Allah. Scribed by, and interpreted by man none the less, bin Ladin has been undone by the very book he used to corrupt other's thinking with.

I hope things work out for the best.

Quote:
Listen, if the mullahs (and I think they will in UN Assembly, September) are condemed by the international community as a terrorist, bigoted, and murdeous regime, headed by terrorists, bigots and murderers, then you may see another ruling...especially if ties to bin Ladin and Al-quiaida are confirmed.

When that happens, I'll be very happy.

Quote:
You claim that I don't think Islam needs reform...no it needs something else....cancer treatment...the patient must recognise the illness to treat it, that's the first step, whether that is Islam, or whether it be America of the 1960's...it's really a very apt comparitive analysis.

Good point.

Quote:
But again it boils down to individuals, and how they address the issue, or what side they take on it, not the Culture as a whole. I wonder if there's a Muslim Gandi out there somewhere....maybe his name is Ganji...but time will tell.

That will be good.

Quote:
Aryan Nations advocates Christian Identity, white supremacy, and neo-Nazism. Its goal is to form "a national racial state. We shall have it at whatever price is necessary. Just as our forefathers purchased their freedom in blood so must we". We will have to kill the bastards." (Butler, quoted in ADL, 244)

I saved the worst till last. I looked up the Aryan Nations home page and found one of the most overtly racist sites I have ever visited. I hate to even give the link to their site since it is so sickening. I'm ashamed this is located in my country. Here it is, none the less:
http://www.aryan-nations.org/

It is so ugly, I'll redact some of this quote.

Quote:
ARYAN MESSIANIC IDENTITY

Are you asking yourself, "Just what is it these people believe?" Are you thinking, "They can't be or call themselves christians and espouse what they are." Well you are right, we are NOT adherents of the christian cult and we do not call ourselves christians! ... If you expect to survive as a race you must break chains of these jewish lies you are in bondage to and educate yourselves to the Aryan Way of Life!

Some more real ugliness here:
Quote:
....There is much information on the respect and cooperation that Adolf Hitler and others of the Third Reich had for Islam. This would be a good read for all those that claim to be National Socialists and suggest that which Aryan Nations is striving toward is something new and invented by the National Director. If one claims to love the Furher then one should not question his methods.

Just as it is unfair to try to tag Christians with a group which explicitly states they don't call themselves "Christians," so it would be unfair to tag Muslims with this group. My concerns about Islam are about freedom of religion, freedom of speech etc. I believe those other things can be handled if people have freedom

About Afghanistan, I hope I haven't come across as overly negative about what has happened there. Anything which enhances human freedom and happiness is great. I am actually quite hopeful about Afghanistan.

OK. I'm waiting to get my ass kicked again. Very Happy

Actually, I have enjoyed talking to you. You are intelligent and hold a different opinion than I which makes it fun to bounce ideas off you. Thank-you for the discussion.

Cheers.
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up in New Mexico was an interesting experience. Most of my hispanic friends refer to me as a "naturalized gringo" being that my family has been in New Mexico for 4 generations now, they say I "qualify". (chuckle).

Being the only white kid on the bus going to high school was problematic...children learn bigotry from their parents, and act out that education...so yeah, I learned to defend myself, and address the stupidity of that wrong-thinking that manifests as racism.

I think you now see why I would equate the KKK and al-quaida as terrorist org's. The IRI too.

"When the terrorists began blowing up people in Saudi Arabia, it was only a matter of time until their religious establishment would react. "

Check this:

http://www.mpac.org

I said totalitarianism is self limiting by its very nature being unable to adapt to changing society and brittle in its essence because of that.

Terrorism is a manifestation of totalitarianism, and by method is inherently self-defeating.

Democracy without transparency and the institutions and laws to be truly "by, for, and of" the people, cannot be self sustaining.

Every nation has it's own time-line as to how that process unfolds..Pakistan is no exception.
American Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Growing up in New Mexico was an interesting experience. Most of my hispanic friends refer to me as a "naturalized gringo" being that my family has been in New Mexico for 4 generations now, they say I "qualify". (chuckle).

Being the only white kid on the bus going to high school was problematic...children learn bigotry from their parents, and act out that education...so yeah, I learned to defend myself, and address the stupidity of that wrong-thinking that manifests as racism.

I wasn't planning to continue the conversation since you seem to feel so uncomfortable with my ideas. However, this bit of information helps me to see why we see things so differently. I'm reminded of a conversation I once had years ago with a man who traveled the state of New Mexico as a radiation safety officer. He stopped in Espanola, I believe, and stupidly walked into a bar. The locals saw a foreigner and decided to beat him up. The man was much quicker than I would have been. He told them he was running for sheriff and offered to buy them all drinks. That enabled him to walk out in one piece.

A substantial part of my childhood was spent in the heart of Africa. My only friends for portions of that time were Africans. When I returned to America I had to learn the American culture. The reason I view things such as tolerance, racism, religion etc. differently than you is because my life experiences are different from yours not because I don't respect your humanity.

Quote:
I think you now see why I would equate the KKK and al-quaida as terrorist org's. The IRI too.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see things the way you do on this. When I was a child, the African children didn't tell me their history, but I have learned much since. The heart of Africa was very vulnerable to exploitation for many centuries and those who were stronger took advantage of the Africans. The Europeans and America were involved in the slave trade and did many terrible things. They have largely repented for their crimes. The Arabs indulged in the slave trade for 1000 years and so far as I can tell still trade in slaves if they have the opportunity. So far I see no evidence that they have ever acknowledged that they have done anything wrong. The Arabs over the centuries showed the Africans no mercy and had no respect for their cultures.

I believe trying to draw parallels between groups can be helpful at times but often blinds us to the true dynamics of the situation. It is like trying to argue from analogy which as you probably have discovered can lead to complete misunderstandings of a subject. I believe the situation we are facing with Al Queda is something Americans have never faced before. Because Americans as a group have never bothered investigating the Arab culture, they have no idea what is in store for them.

Quote:
I said totalitarianism is self limiting by its very nature being unable to adapt to changing society and brittle in its essence because of that.

Terrorism is a manifestation of totalitarianism, and by method is inherently self-defeating

As a theory, you may be correct. I do not believe that is what history has taught us, however. Fear societies are often very stable since they exploit people's natural selfishness. From my viewpoint, democracies are rare and can only be maintained by a highly moral populace which respects other people's rights as well as their own self interest. The Islamic dictatorships have not only fear for this life but fear of hell to exploit.

Quote:
Democracy without transparency and the institutions and laws to be truly "by, for, and of" the people, cannot be self sustaining.

Every nation has it's own time-line as to how that process unfolds..Pakistan is no exception.

You may be right, I certainly am not a prophet and can not predict the future. History has not demonstrated that particular point, but perhaps the future will be different. Many times very bright people come up with theories which may be completely correct and totally logical but don't actually work in the real world.

I asked a distant cousin who has lived in Alabama for many years about the KKK so I can understand it better. I have always thought it was a political movement related to the difficulties of the reconstruction period in the south and was not religious. When she responds, I will have a better understanding of that group. I have had the misfortune of reading a great deal of hate literature over the years but have never encountered anything which I view as similar to Al Queda.
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than a parallel, I was getting at a common denominator that underlies both totalitarianism and terrorism.

Fear.

Fear that leads to bigotry, being fear of other cultures...(and why did the folks in the espanola bar try and beat the fellow up? Machismo...is a product of fear as well...beyond drunken stupidity..(chuckle, I'm not at all suprised by this story....) Here's a little history lesson about America:

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/08/17/schuster.column/index.html

Intolerance is basicly about insecurity, the rational is simply that history can be used to justify that mindset...as you say colonialism has had long lasting repurcussions...New Mexico was settled by Spanish Conquistadors.

Despite inherent cultural tensions among individuals leading to isolated violence, New Mexico, an area geographically similar to Afghanistan, with multiple local cultures, and refugee communities from around the world, are all living in peace.

I don't know what part of Africa you grew up in, or when, but along with colonialism and slavery...Africans had been taking slaves among various tribes for millenia. How do you define slavery? It can be said everyone of us is an economic slave. Lot of different kinds of slavery out there, Visitor.

We have lived so long with the reality of imminent destruction that we've become numb to being slave to a button being pushed after the turning of a couple keys simulaneously in ways that are as dysfunctional as the "Simpsons" (the animated cartoon).
One cannot simultaneously plan for the American dream, and prepare for Armageddon.

See, Mankind's past is totally dysfunctional, and it's no surprise that the family of nations today is as dysfunctional as it is...we're getting better at being able to kill each other, at a greater rate than social progress can deal with it, it's only in the last couple years that mindsets have started to change. Look at Pakistan and India's nuclear brinksmanship in 2002, today they are at a different point in their relationship, as a matter of survival.

Inherently, change is viewed with suspicion, as a threat to culture and ways of tradition and ethical belief systems. As it applies to developing countries in this nuclear age, the post-cold war aftermath presents a vast paradox that present no easy solutions, and has culminated in the reality of the war on terrorism as it exists today.

I stress here the biggest "what if?" is what we might have accomplished as the Human species had we chosen to live in peace, instead of fear after WW2. So much spent on weapons that can't be used and remain civilized.

If there is one thing about people that's a given, it's that they can only change themselves. You can try to understand them, change their circumstances, try to point the roads to peace, but in the end, they must want it for themselves, knowing what the alternatives are.

It is a rare individual who will lay down his weapons and walk the road to peace.

To achieve peace, nations must be brave enough to look at the past in general, and be more creative in future vision than the kid in Afghanistan, who reportedly had nothing he could count on in life, except the anti-tank missile he slept with. I wonder if he's sold it by now, and bought a kite.

The cold war's fundamental precepts being Mutually Assured Destruction, now that this concept has been abandoned as not being in the public's interest, we must construct a solid international understanding to create a Mutually Assured Peace, literally, though stated with a grain of SALT, as M. A. D. will be reality for many years to come.

What reasonable explanation can anyone give for the combined total between the U.S. and the former USSR's nuclear stockpiles? To be real blunt, reducing the active numbers to around 2000 apiece does nothing to change the fact that we could make this entire planet look like Mars in a few hours time.

There are things I believe in as a Buddhist, that run concurrent with the teachings of Jesus, Mohammed, Gandhi, and other visionaries and philosophers of the past. Central to Buddhist thinking is that the dualism in the world comes from the same source.

A self-realized human, not a God, or an Idol, Buddha was only a man, who had realized his true nature, and so Buddhism is a practice, a path of enlightenment that may be obtained by all people, as individuals.
One does not have to be Buddhist to find peace within, or in the world, an open, conscious mind, is all that is needed, along with strength of will.
Objectivity can be hard to come by where it concerns family, or politics, as we are all human beings, and of a species prone to emotions, at the expense of logic.

"Logic over emotionalism, Truth over viewpoint, Ethics over all."

Whoever said, "There are no Philosophers in Foreign Affairs.", I'd like to thank, for inspiring me to become one (chuckle).

As a Buddhist, I have no side to be on in this personally, I'm just sick of being witness to the disfunctionality in the world that leads to conflict.
As an American, I view the conflicts as a threat to our national interests and those of the world's community at large.
As a Human, I can only hope for an elevation of the level of consciousness between parties in conflict and among people as we have been recent witness to in Afghanistan, and now in Iraq with various ethnic groups forming a constitution for all Iraqis.

Many times since Sept 11, I have asked myself,
"Who gains from this?","What purpose is served?", " What was the desired outcome?" Questions we have all asked ourselves, over and again.
I believe the answer is very simple: To create a situation that America would be forced to respond to with overwhelming military force, and in so doing, become discredited by the use of indiscriminate force on civilians, and massive "collateral damage"

Our response was not what bin Ladin expected, and totally invalidated his strategy. Humanitarian aid, cooperation with the Northern Alliance, supporting a Loya Jirga, and rebuilding efforts all defused bin Ladin's plans to discredit America.

I think the hardest perception for the U.S. to overcome in the developing nations is that of being arrogant and/or inconsistent in exerting its will, or muscle. Giant steps have been taken so far as this is concerned, to change this viewpoint, in my opinion. If one thinks of nations like the teams of the American league in baseball, is it any wonder that many hate the Yankees? They're almost always in the series. What gives them the respect is the sportsmanlike conduct towards other teams, with few exceptions. This simple example is manifest today in Afghanistan for all to see.
We have an opportunity to preserve this momentum of international cooperation as it is reflected in this country's long term security, and the world's.

If I have a philosophy about how this may be achieved it is this:

"By employing common logic and gut-instinct together with an open mind, one may anticipate miracles as a result." I define "miracle" as something good that defies probability and reasonable explanation for occurring.

If what we have been recent witness to in Afghanistan is example of a miracle, as defined, then there is hope.

Having been in the construction industry much of my life, I can assure you that we are in fact a nation of "nation builders" on many levels. Politically speaking, since WW2, it has been through "on the job training". The mistakes made in the past, and the correctness of present, or future policy must share one thing, a willingness to look at truth over viewpoint (or party affiliation).
As we are on the brink of colonizing Mars (20yrs.?), let us go to the "God of War" in peace, as a family of nations. A family that has overcome its dysfunctionalities.

2500 yeas ago Cyrus the Great instituted a democracy in model modern respects in Persia...however, logisticly in that era (communication, travel, etc.) it was not possible in one lifetime to create the institutions necessary for it's sustainability. Persia reverted back to a Monarchy after his death. There's one historical precedent to consider.

Whether you consider my point of view valid or not is not my concern, simply because I have no attachment to whether you do or not. That's your decision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: