[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Election results: The seed of regime change!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Election results: The seed of regime change! Reply with quote

Friday, June 24, 2005
"Election": a few things to remember
http://iran-votes-2005.blogspot.com/

by Windsteed

First and foremost I should say that from now on when I use the term "election" I do not mean that I believe that there was in fact an "election". This was not an election, even in the Islamic regime's own terminology which had been acted upon in previous elections. It was a sham, a fradulent process. I have enough evidence to believe, and of course to prove, that Iranian men and women were deveived into taking part into a show whose actors were chosen and its screen play was written long time ago. You will certainly ask me whehter I was blind yesterday and did not see the massive public turn-out. No I am not blind. I was there. I saw 'the mass' both on the 17th and the 24th. But the issue is that their votes were not counted. Karoubi and Moeen were ahead of Ahmadinejad in the first round but they were kicked out of the contest. And yesterday again, ballots were left uncounted. Because everything was pre-arranged. The Minstry of Interior had already been ordered to announce Ahmadinejad as winner. Kayhan newspaper knew last night that Ahmadinejad would be the regime's president. Its headline was set last night (before the ballots were even taken to the Minstry) and would read: "Ahmadinejad, the nation's president" and "the nation finished the job". But then it was not allowed to get published just in case it would provoke further suspicion as to the result. Also, before the official results get published, Khamenei had urged Ahmadinejad's supporters not to take on the streets, becasue "it was against the interest of the nation". In other words, the Leader warned against acts that might have caused clashes that could go out of control. It seems that the Leader himself is aware of how popular his president is.

In any event, the regime only needed the massive turn out to legitimize its position in the doubtful eyes of the public and of course the international community. And it successfully achieved what it wanted to achieve. I feel sorry for those who still believe that this was a lawful election and are wasting their time analyzing its outcome! If you read my previous posts, you will realize that I was against the much supported boycott strategy long before the election. I had argued, several times, that this election would be a very good chance for continuing on the way towards more democracy. But this was before I came to Iran. This was before I got the information on fradulent activities, and the ballot riggings.

However, despite what happened, I believe this is still the best chance to open our eyes to a number of facts. At the outset, a crucial issue is to identify those who betrayed the democratic movement along the way. Who were those who did not have the guts to stand against the tyrant? Who were those who did not have the courage to defend the people's right against the will of the greedy dictator who justifies all his actions in the name of "the interest of Islam"? I do not think it is very a hard task to find them. They are recognisable from their silence. From their cowardness. And among them is the man who was once our hero. We, Iranian youngsters, vested in him our hopes with all of our hearts. Instead what he gave us in exchange was baseless excuses, lies, and eventually, he betrayed us only to maintain his position as a loyal servant to the supreme dictator.

What would, then, we learn from this? We would, I hope, begin to draw some lessons as to our choice of heros and leaders in the future. We would acknowledge that we were disillusioned throughout this time by empty promises and lies. We were disillusioned because we had believed that this regime had room for change, for democracy. We were disillusioned because we could never imagine that the Islamic Republic would go to the extreme to meddle in people's votes, which violates both of the Islamic and Republic foundations of this regime. But the recent events clearly displayed that this regime sees no restraint on its power. It has no respect for people. Even if Rafsanjani had won this election, this argument would still hold. Thus, a major lesson to be drawn from this 'election' is to acknowledge that this regime has no room for democracy and the rule of law.

Now that Ahmadinejad is in power, it is the fundamentalists' turn to celebrate their 'vicotry' and see in him a hero who has come to rescue them from the 'oppressors' (Mustakberin). So, they are already disillusioned. An ideology which attempts to divide the people of one unified nation into the oppressed and oppressor is certainly destined to lose. Besides, Ahmadinejad may carry the title of the 'president', but he is the most powerless man in Iran. There is a long list of individuals and groups to whom he is indebted for his coming to the office: from the leader, Sepahis and Basijis, to the hardliner Mullah's in Qom and elsewhere, and those who funded his campaign. He will certainly have a hard time satisfy all of them. Moreover, anyone who has little knowledge about Iranian politics would know that Rafsanjani is not the type of person who would simply go away to learn to live with the fact he was lead astray by Khamenei and Ahmadinejad. Rafsanjani knows how to return the fist.

I said all the above to come to this conclusion: for those who wish a new Iran without the Islamic Republic, Ahmadinejad is a gift. His troubles should be turned into opportunities for opposition groups. They must rethink and rearrange but not for the next election, rather for a totally new government. But will this opportunity be taken?

posted by Windsteed | 11:40 PM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: