[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iran, Impossible? by American Scholar, Dr. Michael Ledeen.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haleh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Iran, Impossible? by American Scholar, Dr. Michael Ledeen. Reply with quote

Iran, Impossible?
Nope. The mullahs will go the way of the Evil Empire.

After years of baffling silence, George Will has finally written about Iran. His guide is the justly celebrated Azar Nafisi, but her one-liner Will used to portray contemporary Iran — "What differentiated this revolution from the other totalitarian revolutions of the twentieth century was that it came in the name of the past" — demonstrates a serious misunderstanding of the past (the Fόhrer's movement was every bit as anti-modern as Khomeini's) and thus of the future (both forms of fascism being quite capable of asserting a terrible revolutionary claim on the destiny of all mankind and unleashing their murderous hatred on a global scale).

Worse, Mr. Will tosses off a dismissive pronunciamento so absolute and categorical that he implies it is writ in the very nature of things: "There is no plausible path to achieving (regime change in Iran)." Why? Because "the regime-changers have their hands full with the unfinished project next door to Iran."

He'd have done better to concentrate his great talent and energy on preventing major-league baseball from reaching Washington, D.C. The claim that the United States cannot possibly bring about the fall of clerical fascism in Tehran is as silly as similar claims directed at Ronald Reagan when he set about bringing an end to the evil Soviet Empire. Indeed, skepticism about our determination to defeat Soviet Communism was far more justifiable than doubts about the thoroughly plausible path to end the Iranian mullahcracy. For only a small minority of the oppressed peoples of the Soviet Empire were ever willing to openly challenge the Kremlin — as, for that matter, were the people in the Philippines under the Marcos kleptocracy, or in Yugoslavia under the mad Milosevic. Yet all came crashing down, defeated by their own people, who were inspired and supported by Americans.

In Iran today, upwards of 70 percent of the population is openly hostile to the regime, vocally desirous of freedom and democracy, and bravely supportive of the Bush Doctrine to bring democratic revolution to the entire region.

If we could bring down the Soviet Empire by inspiring and supporting a small percentage of the people, surely the chances of successful revolution in Iran are more likely. By orders of magnitude. "No plausible path," my derriere! (as Senateur Kerry might put it). Ask Comrade Gorbachev about the power of democratic revolution before you write off the Iranian people.

I think that Mr. Will got it wrong because he assumes that regime change implies military conquest. But we don't need armies of fighting American men and women to liberate Tehran; the foot soldiers are Iranians, and they are already on the ground, awaiting good leadership with a clear battle plan. The war against the Iranian terror masters will be political, not military. The weapons that will end the dreadful tyranny — so well described by Mr. Will and Mrs. Nafisi — are ideas and passions, not missiles and bullets. To our great shame, we have failed to support the Iranians' battle against their hated regime, but that is a failure of will, not a failure of means.

Mr. Will believes it inevitable that Iran will become a nuclear power in the near future, and this may well be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Surely the United Nations, the British, and the Europeans are doing everything possible to bring it to fulfillment. But this is a fallacy of "static" thinking in a rapidly changing world. South Africa and Ukraine were members of the nuclear club when they were oppressive tyrannies, but scrapped their nukes when they became free. It is certainly true that the current Iranian regime will stop at nothing until they have atomic bombs, but a free Iran might well make a different choice.

Most importantly, there is a huge difference between atomic bombs in the hands of fanatical mullahs, and atomic bombs controlled by a pro-Western and democratic country. Mr. Will says it is "surreal" for Condoleezza Rice to discuss the Iranian nuclear program in terms of what we can "allow" Iran to do, I suppose because he is convinced we have no plausible path to prevent it. That may or may not be true; I don't know if there is a politically acceptable military option, and I agree that diplomacy cannot possibly derail the mullahs' mad atomic march. But it is at least equally "surreal" to dismiss the prospects of democratic revolution in Iran, and thereby join the ranks of the appeasers.

If Reagan had listened to this sort of criticism — and there was no shortage of it in the early '80s — Gorbachev would still be managing the gulags and funding Communist movements all over the world. If Bush accepts George Will's view of Iran, we will soon see the world's primary sponsor of terror armed with atomic bombs.

It is not inevitable. We can beat them. Delay costs lives, both ours and those of the brave Iranians who challenge clerical fascism.

Faster, please.

Michael Ledeen, an NRO contributing editor, is most recently the author of The War Against the Terror Masters. Ledeen is Resident Scholar in the Freedom Chair at the American Enterprise Institute
stefania

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Haleh !

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Persian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: George Will Reply with quote

George Will is right to conclude that Terrorist Ayatollahs are tough targets!

His conclusion is based on a keen observation of the history of Ayatollahs, and their rise to power: An observation most of us missed!

What George Will is referring to (perhaps unintentionally) is the FACT that those who have helped bring Ayatollahs inot power are still very much in control of Global Politics, and still very much in need of the Ayatollahs and a continual looting of Iran's many resources, continual control of Middle East infact by holding the power in Iran (in the name of Islam!).

That's what "Green Belt" meant. Something we managed to miss!

The Green Islamic Belt was not about defeat of Communism_ Russian Empire was already a collapsed regime at the time, and EU power figures knew of it and the need to REPLACE IT.

The Green Islamic Belt, as we can see today, was suppose to replace the weaker Red Belt wrapping around America's Neck!

When potential "trators" like Carter were buying into the EU Plot and agreeing to help out, they probably didn't know what they are getting into.
I assume this because it's hard to imagine an American President knowingly puts the Green Belt around America's Neck! (although I could be wrong; there are all kind of people in the world who would do just that for hard Ca$h and lots of it)

So! Mr. George Will is merely pointing out to a historic fact the rest of us tend to ignore: That the same Dark Forces who planned Islamic Coup, and helped the Rist of Islamic Terrorist Regimes and their Thugs & Mafia into power, are still very much alive and in charge of the Global Events.

That's why some of us believe without exposure of events and powers behind Islamist Fascists' Reign in Iran and Middle East there is not much chance we can truely win this battle, and not fall into more traps in the long run!

It also refers to another Fact that:

The Mullahs will fall on their face the minute such Powers stop flirting with them and using them for their gains.

stefania

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Will thinks that Iran is not capable of Regime Change and Michael Ledeen and the neocons would be "dreamers" according to him..

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Persian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Mullahs have powerful supporters Reply with quote

Whoever gave the false documents on Iraq and then killed their scientist, did not mean to Help U.S. in any ways, but to BUY TIME for MULLAHS.

now go figure how much these dirty Mullahs are worth for some of the Powers. the more influential powers behind the world political scenes, I might add.

Againt I point out to the backwardness of attacking on Mullahs while they are still running Embassies in EU/UK and all over the world, while they still have diplomatic Immunity. Such Terrorists that deserv to be bombed, with DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY! now isn't that the most ironic of all politics?

When is a time to close down the terrorist IRI's embassy, for God's sake?
When will "Lucrative Deals" with Mullahs end?

After throwing Nukes at Iran and leveling the whole country?

You know we won't sit there and watch an entire nation suffer the effects of Nuclear bombs and pollutions. If you think there will be any oil wells left for UK to plunder it after our country's destroyed, think again.

Either UK/EU/U.S. dirty politicians drop their support of the ayatollahs and let the nation live freely, or we will HAVE TO destroy all the oil wells just so we can live free of Colonialism.

If the so called "opposition groups" are so weak to do so, they can sit there and watch the oil fields burn while sippin tea with Mr. Brezensky!

We're had enought of all POLITICS. all of you can kiss the Humanity's Sacred A$$. and Go to HELL with the Khomeinis, the Hitlers, the Bin Ladens and the rest of Fascist-Colonialist Gang you've helped to create.

there there.
Persian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: we've had it! Reply with quote

Again, whoever bought this TIME for dirty Mullahs, also helped them get their hands on Nuclear Scientists and facilities.

On the news--> Saddam had sent it's Nuclear Scientists to Syria before the attack.

Wow! So in his last minutes he was still making deals!
instead of saving his A$$ he was worried about Mullahs Nuclear facilities!

or those who worried about loosing their lucrative ayatollahs signed yet another dirty deal with saddam?

who else was told to sell nuclear science to the ayatollahs?

another so called "ally" of U.S.! Pakistan.

Pakistan is a creation of Colonialist Brits. It was their farewell gift to India, so to speak! That and the whole blood bath, which is a continuous theme everytime Colonialists are forced out!

What do you think UK has for us as farewell gift? what esle: a Nuclear disaster, and more blood bath!

Now anyone can still justify "TALKS" with UK?

Try this line:

DROP THE FRIGGIN AYATOLLAHS OR WE'LL BOMB THE HELL OUT OF ALL THE OIL FIELDS.

now that's the way to carry on a "DIALOGUE" with Colonialist UK.
Wink
Persian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: To Israel: Reply with quote

To the Government of Israel,

with Love & Respect:

None of your threats to drop bombs on nuclear facilities or ayatollahs headquarters is going to be effective.

The ayatollahs WANT you to bomb Iran.
They're literary BEGGIN you to start a war!
And the Colonialist Fascists of EU/UK would love to see both our nations in more war and chaos, and destroyed!

YOU WANT TO TALK POLITICS?

THREATEN THAT YOU WILL BOMB THE OIL WELLS!
now that's called EFFECTIVE POLITICS!

they don't expect it, and are not yet prepared to Re-Act.
And our nation is smart enough to get by for a while without the oil.

DO IT ISRAEL. LET'S EXPOSE ALL THE FACES BEHIND THE AYATOLLAHS.
LET THEIR MOUTH DROP TO THE GROUND!

LET THE FASCISTS KNOW HOW FAR IS TOO FAR!
Spenta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mr. George Will is merely pointing out to a historic fact the rest of us tend to ignore: That the same Dark Forces who planned Islamic Coup, and helped the Rist of Islamic Terrorist Regimes and their Thugs & Mafia into power, are still very much alive and in charge of the Global Events.- Persian

To some extend I agree. Also, Iraq was a derailmaent and a distraction from the real war on terror, assuming anyone was actually interested in fighting a real war on terror.
stefania

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree, because it has enouraged the Iranians to ask the same (Regime Change) for their country.

One less dictator is better.

redemption

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spenta wrote:
Quote:
Mr. George Will is merely pointing out to a historic fact the rest of us tend to ignore: That the same Dark Forces who planned Islamic Coup, and helped the Rist of Islamic Terrorist Regimes and their Thugs & Mafia into power, are still very much alive and in charge of the Global Events.- Persian

To some extend I agree. Also, Iraq was a derailmaent and a distraction from the real war on terror, assuming anyone was actually interested in fighting a real war on terror.

Spenta, I agree - After Afghanistan should've focused on the Mullahs - not Saddam..
stefania

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But i don't cry because i wouldn't have left 27 millions of people being tortured and killed.

One less dictator is good!

Amir Taheri says it well in his recent editorial.

First Afghanistan,then Iraq, then now Iran... and then SYRIA and SAUDI ARABIA,

Coz all the terrorism will NOT be gone till all these regimes have been destroyed.

I don't believe that Regime Change in Iran will finish everything.

Syria and SA are next..

Next after the Islamic Regime of course..

Persian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Drop the Mullahs! or NO MORE OIL WELLS! Reply with quote

THE FORCES OF FASCISM AND COLONIALISM

REFUSE TO DROP THEIR HAND MADE PUPPET

AYATOLLAHS!

http://www.iranvajahan.net/cgi-bin/news.pl?l=en&y=2004&m=09&d=26&a=3

THE ONLY WAY OUT:

IF ANYTHING SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU MY NATION!
IF MORE DISASTER SHOULD BEFALL UPON YOU!

ELIMINATE THE OIL WELLS

WE WILL NOT GO DOWN QUIETLY

WE WILL TAKE OUR OIL WELLS WITH US!

BE SURE TO SPREAD THE WORD.

redemption

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefania wrote:
But i don't cry because i wouldn't have left 27 millions of people being tortured and killed.

One less dictator is good!

Amir Taheri says it well in his recent editorial.

First Afghanistan,then Iraq, then now Iran... and then SYRIA and SAUDI ARABIA,

Coz all the terrorism will NOT be gone till all these regimes have been destroyed.

I don't believe that Regime Change in Iran will finish everything.

Syria and SA are next..

Next after the Islamic Regime of course..

Stefania - don't be so simplistic and speak as though these things are natural evolutions of one another. The fact of the matter is the MULLAHS ARE THE MAIN PROBLEM - and a true government by the Iranian people in Iran that is free and fair will be a major blow to all fanatics and terrorists everywhere. The concept of "One Less DIctator" is kind of faulty logic because the definition of a "dictator" in many of the situations throughout the world is relative. One people's dicator is another people's hero / savior.

Saddam was a pansy ass - he was weak - he was a woosie..

The Mullahs on the other hand are the kingpins of international terror and hate and should, as Michael Ledeen has been saying for years and we've all been saying, disposed of by the Iranian people with America's support.

Europe NEEDS TO WAKE THE F UP and STAND WITH THE UNITED STATES
stefania

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i AGREE.. WHAT HAVE I ALWAYS BEEN SAYING HERE?

I HAVE BEEN SAYING AND STILL SAY THAT THE MULLAHS ARE THE MAIN PROBLEM.

BUT I AM HAPPY THAT SADDAM IS GONE AND THE TALIBAN TOO.

AND I THINK THAT IRAN MUST BE NEXT IN THE LIST.

AND AFTER, IT WILL BE SAUDI ARABIA AND SYRIA'S TURN

BECAUSE THE PROBLEM WILL NOT BE COMPLETED ELIMINATED WITHOUT REGIME CHANGE IN ALL THOSE COUNTRIES ALSO.

redemption

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all could've been achieved with less cost in re: to lives.. Anyhow, lets see wehat happens this week!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: