[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iran Refuses UN Uranium Demand, Is Rebuked by U.S. (Update3)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haleh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Iran Refuses UN Uranium Demand, Is Rebuked by U.S. (Update3) Reply with quote

Iran Refuses UN Uranium Demand, Is Rebuked by U.S. (Update3)

Sept. 19 (Bloomberg) -- Iran refused a demand by the United Nations' nuclear watchdog to halt all uranium-enrichment activities, prompting a U.S. rebuke as the Islamic Republic faces possible economic sanctions.

The U.S. reproached Iran today for refusing an International Atomic Energy Agency resolution urging an immediate halt to Iranian enrichment-related activities. The agency, which acknowledged Iran's right to enrich uranium, asked Iran to further open its atomic program to UN inspectors.

``Iran will drag out negotiations with the IAEA and the Europeans, who are unlikely to agree to sanctions because of their oil interests in Iran,'' Youssef Ibrahim, managing director of the Dubai, United Arab Emirated-based Strategic Energy Investment Group, said in a telephone interview.

The U.S. says Iran, which holds the world's second-biggest proven oil reserves after Saudi Arabia, is hiding a nuclear- weapons program and is seeking imposition of UN sanctions on the country. New sanctions may force European oil companies such Royal Dutch/Shell Group to stop working in Iran.

Iran won't accept any UN demand to halt the enrichment of uranium, Hassan Rowhani, the secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, said in Tehran, the state-run IRNA news agency reported. Iran's nuclear program is peaceful and is only intended to generate energy, he said.

Inspections

Iran has had more than 800 IAEA inspections in the last year, Hossein Mousavian, head of Iran's delegation to the IAEA, said this week.

Total SA, Europe's third-largest oil company, OAO Lukoil, Russia's top oil producer, and Norway's Norsk Hydro ASA are among other international oil companies working in Iran. The country is the second-largest oil producer in the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries after Saudi Arabia.

The ``clock is ticking'' for Iran to stop its activities and cooperate with the IAEA, U.S. Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham said today in Vienna.

``We should all expect that Iran should follow the obligations and cooperate with the IAEA,'' Abraham said at a conference of the Global Threat Reduction Initiative, a movement backed by the U.S., Russia and International Atomic Energy Agency seeking to secure radioactive materials around the world.

`Dialogue'

Iran's suspension of its uranium-enrichment program since October 2003 was voluntary and could be extended, Rowhani said.

``Only dialogue can stop us from resuming (uranium- enrichment) activities,'' Rowhani said.

Doubts about Iran's nuclear program are gone now that the country revealed the goals for the activities, he said. The International Atomic Energy Agency's resolution proved that Iran's nuclear program is peaceful, Rowhani said.

The U.S. has failed to achieve its goal of seeking a UN Security Council resolution to impose sanctions on Iran, he said. The Iranian official didn't rule out the possibility of resuming nuclear talks with the U.S.

The U.S. is pleased the IAEA has set Nov. 25 as a deadline for Iran to cease its pursuit of nuclear weapons, Jackie Sanders, the head of the U.S. delegation, said yesterday.

Trade Sanctions

U.S. companies are prohibited from investing in Iran by government trade sanctions. The U.S. law, known as the Iran-Libya Sanctions Act, hasn't kept European and Asian companies from operating there.

Shell and Spain's Repsol YPF SA signed an accord on Sept. 16 to build a liquefied natural-gas plant in Iran, which may take years to develop. Shell, an Anglo-Dutch oil company, produces oil from two fields in Iran and is bidding to develop more in the country.

``The U.S. sanctions haven't hurt Iran and if the UN sanctions are imposed I doubt they would be respected,'' Youssef said.

Russia, which is helping Iran develop its nuclear program, has also refused to back out of an $800 million project to build a nuclear unit at Bushehr on the Persian Gulf, Youssef said.

Iran recently retested its Shahab-3 missile in the presence of observers to prove it isn't afraid to use force to defend itself from a potential attack, Youssef said.

Israel, a U.S. ally in the Middle East, destroyed the Osirak nuclear reactor in neighboring Iraq in 1981.

Iran and North Korea are two counties that the U.S. warns are working on nuclear weapons. Earlier this month, an explosion in North Korea prompted speculation, dismissed by U.S. and South Korean officials, that the country may have carried out a nuclear test. North Korea denied making such a test.

IAEA Director General Mohamed ElBaradei said the explosion in North Korea didn't appear to be nuclear, based on what he was told by an IAEA sister organization responsible for monitoring explosive devices. ElBaradei said North Korea has the plutonium necessary for a nuclear weapon, and wouldn't rule out the possibility that the country has tested or may be ready to test a nuclear device.

``I do not exclude at all that they have assembled a nuclear weapon or more than one nuclear weapon,'' he said on Cable News Network's ``Late Edition'' program. ``They have the fissile material. They have the industrial infrastructure.''

To contact the reporter on this story:
Dania Saadi in the Dubai bureau on dsaadi2@bloomberg.net.

To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Kimberly Kirner at kkirner@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: September 19, 2004 15:28 EDT

Advertisement: New CyberTrader Offer: Click for details

the_shah_sux_mollahs_also

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iran have the materials for very long time and, nobody cared. now they are nervous all of a sudden, i wonder why? also korea has. it is not good these things like uranium when abused, but iraq has nothing and bush kills these poor american youngster and iraqi people. if i was in american i should feel betray
redemption

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel betrayed by many things - though I, as all activists, will not wallow in remorse and despair. One must right the wrongs and reverse the betrayals...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redemption wrote:
I feel betrayed by many things - though I, as all activists, will not wallow in remorse and despair. One must right the wrongs and reverse the betrayals...

this is great merit my friend
redemption

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear redemtion, i have chosen my some what silly name because all these outsiders in the world think that us in iran want the shah agan or we want the molla, or do not want mollah, but we do not want either. we want a real change. i find a small offense in this notion that people thinking thye know what we need and want when they are in the comfort of ther western life. don not go crazy for us like the amrikai did for iraq. please we are civilize to run our country if we can have a way out of the present regime.

ofcourse redemtion, this is not for you it is for the basis of the very angry peple on the forum
redemption

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that our people at the time of Revolution certainly did not want Mullah regime but also they were very upset with speed of political openness and change of Shah's regime.

What we should be advocating is Free Referendum rather than applying a particular government to Iran. Iranians INSIDE as well as Exiles should be able to vote in a free referendum to decide the fate of one of the greatest countries, cultures and civilizations that has ever existed.

It is wrong for individuals to propose and advocate a particular government when it is the duty of the majority to decide their fate. A free referendum will surely end the Mullah's regime - and will bring whatever/better system into being as long as it's chosen by Iranian people who have FREE VOTE!

thanks -
ARYAI_NYC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redemption wrote:
I know that our people at the time of Revolution certainly did not want Mullah regime but also they were very upset with speed of political openness and change of Shah's regime.

What we should be advocating is Free Referendum rather than applying a particular government to Iran. Iranians INSIDE as well as Exiles should be able to vote in a free referendum to decide the fate of one of the greatest countries, cultures and civilizations that has ever existed.

It is wrong for individuals to propose and advocate a particular government when it is the duty of the majority to decide their fate. A free referendum will surely end the Mullah's regime - and will bring whatever/better system into being as long as it's chosen by Iranian people who have FREE VOTE!

you are hitting the nail on the head!! i agree
thanks -

Saman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redemption wrote:

thanks -

I agree redemption. Good post!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
redemption

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aryai and Saman - thanks for the pat on the back Wink I feel much better now! Made my day in fact (saracsm). Btw, Aryai - when you quote make sure to put your comments outside of the quote brackets - that way it's easier to see where your comment is and where the quoted stuff is.

r-
ARYAI_NYC wrote:
redemption wrote:

you are hitting the nail on the head!! i agree
thanks -

ARYAI_NYC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, okay, i will make sure to do that. i really agree with you on many things, but you were absolute on this one. it is the best way for the people of iran, r. and i know they are capable of governing their country. iraq was destroyed economically and socially by many different nations ans saddam himself, so that if and when he was taken down, there would be turmoil. iran is more prepared because although it shares the paralell of a dictatorship with iraq, it is a very different way of life. education wise the people are not lacking. i am just affraid that there will be an attack on iran and the people will loose PEOPLE and their rights to an exagerated process and occupation of whatever country does it.

[quote="redemption"]Aryai and Saman - thanks for the pat on the back Wink I feel much better now! Made my day in fact (saracsm). Btw, Aryai - when you quote make sure to put your comments outside of the quote brackets - that way it's easier to see where your comment is and where the quoted stuff is.

r-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: