[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why did Iranians turn against the Shah of Iran?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azadeh_55

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't wish to get into a debate about religion since that would detract from the main point of this site but did take exception to the blanket condemnation of all religions. Athiests, Agnostics, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews and Zoroastrians are all victims of fundamentalist Islam. My point about religion is not that all individuals need religion to be good citizens, but that religion is the basis for current civilizations. Society needs some basis for forming moral systems and religion has so far served that purpose well. Since so many people need a belief in the transcendent, if we destroy moderate religions, fanatics will arise to take their place.

Again you are mixing up Western society with Iranian society. As far as I can tell, there is no "moderate Islam" in Iran. "Moderate Islam" is only a facade they put up so that people terrified of the "fundamentalists" taking power will settle for being controlled by the "moderate Muslims". But once they grab power, they will take off their masks and do the exact same things (maybe even worst) than the "fundamentalists" would have done. "Moderate" and "fundamentalists" are two sides of the same coin in Islam. Khomeini did it. Before he took power he was seen as a moderate cleric that stood for freedom of women (actually he said Islam stands for women's freedom) and for freedom of religion (he said there is no compulsion in religion); he said he would let the armymen become their own boss, instead of taking orders from "puppets of America". Then when he took over his thugs started beating women and firing them from their jobs and throwing acid in their faces to force them to wear the Islamic hijab. He started executing people by the thousands because of their political (monarchists, leftist, rightists, anything against the Islamic Republic) or for their religious beliefs (mostly secularists, Bahais, and Sunni Kurds). And then when he asked about it he said it was all "khud'a" (an Islamic term for "lying in order to advance Islam").

I think in Iran, the implications of an irreligious society are far more positive than the damage it can cause. Religion has been the source of more problems than solutions in our country and I think there is no point in trying to appease it.

Quote:
I must have misunderstood your point. From the converstaions with my Iranian friend at the time, it is my judgment that Iranians have to take some responsibility since they were the ones who actually overthrew the Shah. I don't mean that as a condemnation of Iranians. By no means do I think Iranians are inferior to other people, but we all have to learn from our history both good and bad. Part of our history is how we react to that type of propaganda. Only by careful introspection can we each learn to avoid being manipulated like that in the future.

That is impossible for a Muslim to do. By definition, Muslims are submitters. They have to listen to religious propaganda and submit to it. Otherwise they think they are being horrible infidels who will be condemned to burn in hell for all eternity. The reason people are questioning it now is that they don't trust religion and they don't care much about it either. Once bitten, twice shy.
American Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azadeh_55,

So far as I can tell, everything in your post makes perfect sense. I agree with you. My concern was the post by the person called Eternal1. The blanket attack against all religions made by Eternal1 is a mistake in my opinion. I have known zoroastrians myself and think that would serve well as a template for a restored Persian culture. To try to produce a completely irreligious society is probably impossible since many people seem to have an absolute need to believe in the transcendent. Besides that there is quite a bit of evidence that they just may be right.

I agree with you that Islam is probably the largest obsticle to progress in Iran. Islam has major flaws which would be difficult to correct even by progressive free thinkers.
1. One is the idea that the final word was given over 1000 years ago and there is no way to make major corrections now. That limits the progress which is needed for religions to evolve as we learn more about nature and about ourselves and how to form a better society.
2. Another is that Islam does not recognize the separation of church and state and denies people the freedom to choose to believe or not to believe or even to change to another religion all together.
3. Islam doesn't appear to have much to say directing me to love other people and to value them just because they are fellow humans but rather seems to direct me to value them based on how much use they can be to me.
4. Finally Islam is based on "submission" as you have noted which inhibits creativity. Submission implies setting aside one's own ideas and own needs to serve the ideas and needs of someone else.

I respect folks like 9karevatan who are trying to repair and reform Islam, and wish them the best. The question in my mind is whether there is enough basis in Islam itself to make those types of reforms or whether it is better to move on to something which already has a more positive point from which to start. That is a decision which each person will have to make for themselves, however the status quo is totally unacceptable and changes must be made. The Persians had a viable culture before the Arab invasion and that would seem to be a natural starting point in the restoration.
Azadeh_55

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are trying to jump from A to Z in one step. We aren't rid of Islam yet and you are already talking about replacing it with a different religion. I do not see many devout Muslims who want to turn to another religion. I see a lot of angry former Muslims who don't want to have anything to do with any religion. Now maybe in 20, 50 or 100 years these people will turn to other religions like Christianity or Zoroastrianism or they might remain irreligious forever; but it's too soon to even talk about that now. And it's not even relavant to our problems. It doesn't matter whether they want to practice Zoroastrianism or Bahaism or Hinduism, Judaism, Satanism, Witchcraft, or Woodoo, or if they want to be hardcore atheists; so long as they don't strap bombs to themselves or cut off people's limbs.
American Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azadeh_55,

I agree with you. To impose a different religion of any sort would be wrong. To have a transitional non-religious government which has democracy and freedom is clearly the first step. It will take time for people who have been so deeply betrayed to recover the ability to trust again.

What percentage of Iranians do you think are still devout Muslims at this point?
American Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is, the Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians are also victims and shouldn't be lumped together and condemned with the Islamists. They have lived under second class status and persecuted for generations and deserve a break.

As to why people fell for propaganda, part of it is because people believed the Islamists were telling the truth. Why shouldn't one be able to believe religious leaders? They have been betrayed.

Probably one ot the most damaging propaganda tools is the use of conspiracy theories. I understand many Europeans believe the US government and the Jews brought down the World Trade Center so they could generate sympahty for our wars of agression against peaceful Islamists. The "Protocols of the Elders of Zion" are apparently still widely read and embraced. The theory that George Bush sent our troops into Iraq to steal their oil has been repeated by no less than Nelson Mandella. Just two days ago I was told by a man from Northern Europe that the attack on the Russian school was staged by the Putin government to justify planned atrocities in Chechnya where once again they planned to attack peaceful Muslims.

Conspiracy theories are wonderful propaganda tools since the one making up the theory can make any outrageous claim he wishes without the necessity of offering any evidence to support the claim whatsoever. After all it is a conspiracy and so the information being shared is unproveable. What is interesting is that in every conspiracy no matter how dark or secret, one person seems to have complete access to the inner workings of the plot and can explain it all to you in detail.

And of course the conspiracy theories are indeed based on dark evil conspiracys. The perpetrators of the theory themselves are the actual conspirators who are trying to smear another person or group without the need to gather evidence or document anything. Conspiracy theories are wonderful tools in the hands of those who wish to harm others.
Kid Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my two cents on this whole religion thingy...

See more people agnostic? The point is that it is becoming a trend that more and more people realize that religion should be kept private, personal and individual, and not like the IRI, who constantly tries to shove the spitting image of Imam Hossein down peoples' throats.

Even though religion cannot really be called "religion" if not spread out, I think it's more sane to realize that faith in various religions is better kept private.

There are two keystones into accomplishing this, and that is "respect" and to have an "open mind". These are fitting terms, but they can also contradict the whole meaning of keeping religion in private...

Why? Because in order to "respect" and to have an "open mind" that requires the religions to be quite public. Like women wearing headscarves (Please, don't... I know that it's mainly a cultural thing, but I know that religion has had a finger in the game as well) or sikh men wearing colourful turbans...

We will always have different opinions, because humans are after all individuals with personal motives, etc. That's why this won't work well.

So... Other options? Well, we can go by France's move and make the society more religiously neutral. This protects the image of religion being a personal thing. If not done in an extreme matter, of course, because then the idea would pretty much suck... Rolling Eyes

Then that would be exactly like the IRI are doing today. Out in the public dresscodes must be followed, while at home you are free to do anything...

The moral of the story? There is a balance of religious freedom and there is a balance of public neutrality.

We don't need to rid ourselves from religion at all. Skip the differences between Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, etc... What we need to do is to first of all realize that the Religon + State is not a nice trend. Then secondly we need to either mix up so that religion is freely public, or to personalize religion in private environments.

Now does that mean that we must go rampage with bulldozers over churches mosques and temples? Not necessarily. They can still be there and freely available and used as "private environments" and not be counted as a part of the public. Now, like I said, that kinda ruins the idea of the word "religion" as it seeks to spread itself to more followers... But there is no other option... Religion was brought up to mainly control people, but now when we have secularized governments giving us the best, why bother with religion + state?
American Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid Einstein:

I believe everyone on this web site is in agreement that we want a free democratic government for ourselves and for Iran. The issue is how do we achieve that goal. I'm not criticizing those who personally chose to be athiest or agnostic, that is each person's choice. My post was in complaint to those who were lumping all religions together and trashing them all.

Can a secular irreligious society protect itself from ideological extremists? So far things don't look too hopeful. I'm not offended when a woman wears a head scarf, I'm offended when she takes up a gun and shoots my children. For people to freely express their religion has never been a problem for me so long as they respect other people's right to disagree. The problem with Islam is that one of the fundamental beliefs is the use of force if necessary to make people practice their religion, jihad. That seems to be one of the unique features of Islam.

I don't see that France is doing a good job in controlling the Islamists in their midsts. Antisemitism and violence against Jews is frequent and apparently not punished appropriately. The percentage of the population which is Muslim is growing rapidly. France may well become an Islamic state before too long, the native French already seem to be assuming a dhimini posture of appeasement and cowardace. The Islamists will patiently wait and keep their headscarves off until they think they can prevail and then all this business about keeping things private will go by the way side.

So far I have seen no indication that the secularists in Western Societies have the moral courage to confront Islam. They would much rather trash Christians and Jews or anyone else whom they know are no danger to them than confront Islam which has no qualms in killing those people who are accused of blaspehmy. A prime example of the danger in angering Muslims is the author Salmon Rushdie.

I don't think it is possible to skip the differences between Islam, Christianity, Hinduism etc. It is those differences which make the United States a secular democracy, India a democracy with freedom and Iran a totalitarian regime. How can you equate a religion which teaches that love is the primary good or a religion which has produced a person like Ghandi with a religion which teaches modern slavery and jihad?

Some have said religion was brought up to control people. Do you know for a fact that that is all there is to religion? In religions which have no heirarchy, who is doing the controlling?
Eternal1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest enemy to Iran becoming free is religion. Iranians are extremely passionate and emotional people.

So this type of Iranian mentality mixed with religion will leave them susceptible to the '79 scenario.

If Iranians at the time had been more logical there would have been a little more suspicion towards Khomeini's promises of free electricity, better meat, more freedom..and all the other lies he was spewing out.

Iranians should not have any fear or inhibitions with regard to how they live their lives. (I do not include moral behaviour in this statement, which human beings should have anyway, without the necessity of religion)
Eternal1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoroastrianism has been mentioned as a suitable replacement to Islam in the future.

1. One is the idea that the final word was given over 1000 years ago and there is no way to make major corrections now. That limits the progress which is needed for religions to evolve as we learn more about nature and about ourselves and how to form a better society.
American Visitor.

This is one of the reasons given as to why Islam is not suitable.

This is even more relevant to Zoroastrianism which predates Islam, and has only very small fragments of their book remaining.

Although many of these archaic traditions continue to this day in Iraninan culture, almost as a hybreed with Islamic life, Zoroastrianism could in no way stand on its own as a progressive and complete religion.

Even if it represents in some form the identity of Iran.

Iranians have to break their fear of Islam, and remove its influence from political and public life completely.

Moderate Islam does not exist. Iranians will speak of how the arabs conquered Iran, and that is all they need to remember when considering moderate Islam.

Again IMO Iranians are spiritual/open and no doubt Iranians will adopt some kind of philosophy.

But this has to happen on an individual level and maybe revolve around the intellectual and spiritual development of the person, rather than basic laws and regulations (pray five times a day, do not eat pork...etc).
patriot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear eternal,

Actually , the people of Iran had already offended themselve when they betrayed Aryamehr, the Shah of Iran in 1979

A king such proud and passionat-caring for his nation!
We broke his heart and buried him in egypt and then we started to make untrue stories about him! What a shame!

But the people who you were talking about them as the protesters on the streets in 1979, well a group of them were the traitors to iran who wanted to offer Iran with everything includ to Soviet union!

And another group of people in Iran, were muslims who were influenced by Mullas from Britain!

And throughout, Radio BBC, The British Braodcasting community, spreading the lie news about Pahlavi and the policy of Iran!
Every night and day, 24 hours a day!

This all, had to hand, face to face, made the anger of society be increased!

Dear American friend,
Try to accept that the Western Policy had a great role in offering the dark ages for Iran in the history!
But I am telling you why, Jimi Carter and British, and Europeans intended to change the regim in Iran!

Because the king of Iran, as you know The light of aryans, was too shiny for the jelous eyes of Western worlds! because the light of aryans, did not want anymore to export oil and gas so cheap to the western world!
because Shah, the light of aryans, wanted entirly to make Iran Number one in economic and promotions!

Becausde shah said in one of his speeches thats better the British came and learn from us!

And yes, The shah of Iran, the iron of peace in middle east must be gone because he would not intrest in making Iran a profitable place for British Especially and jimi carter who as a democrat gave his word to British Queen and flag not american flag!

Actually thats the difference between Republican party and democratic party in America!

Republicans swear on American flag but Democrats swear on british flag!
And don t blame me that I might be too prejeduce because you know I am not!
Look at the history,: clinton had for several times a visit from Buckingham palace with the whole of family!
But republicans never waste their tilm on such unofficial egagments!

The Towers of Economy in 9/11 were fallen, the soldeirs of America must die every day in Iraq and other places!just according to the fault decision of democrats from Kennedy to Nasty Carter!

For more information go and read the book of Empress Farah Pahlavi and learn out how nasty Carter wanted to sell himself to Islamic Republic of Khomeini and wanted to assasinate Our beloved Shah for policy, an ill king who were dying of cancer!

Be sure Iranian nation will never forget, President Sadat and the royalty of Portugal for saving our beloved royal family!

Long live the king!
Long live Reza Shah II

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shahineazadi

Eternal1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patriot wrote:
[size=18]Dear eternal,

And throughout, Radio BBC, The British Braodcasting community, spreading the lie news about Pahlavi and the policy of Iran!
Every night and day, 24 hours a day!

Becausde shah said in one of his speeches thats better the British came and learn from us!

And yes, The shah of Iran, the iron of peace in middle east must be gone because he would not intrest in making Iran a profitable place for British Especially and jimi carter who as a democrat gave his word to British Queen and flag not american flag!

Actually thats the difference between Republican party and democratic party in America!

Republicans swear on American flag but Democrats swear on british flag!
And don t blame me that I might be too prejeduce because you know I am not!
Look at the history,: clinton had for several times a visit from Buckingham palace with the whole of family!
But republicans never waste their tilm on such unofficial egagments![size]

Please expand a little more on why, what and how the BBC were broadcasting in Iran.

Please also expand on the Rep/Dem politcal leanings. Quite interesting. Why are Democrats British (swear on the british flag)...a little history would be good.
Azadeh_55

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the question is for our friend Patriot but here is some background from what I understand. The BBC has a radio program in every language. Back then the BBC was probably the only radio/TV station/news paper/etc that wasn't owned by the government. Prior to the revolution, BBC's broadcasting became very inflamatory taking the side of Khomeini and saying bad things about the Shah. They started rumours (although they called them unconfirmed rumours that people were talking about on the bazaar streets) that about how 17,000 to 20,000 people were estimated to have been killed at the orders of the Shah on 17 Shahrivar. They said the Iranian people blame Savak for Cinema Rex. And they said that some people believe Khomeini's picture can be seen in the moon and that he was some kind of saint! That's how most of these rumours started. People heard about them on BBC radio. The BBC also often repeated Khomeini's messages on the radio telling people when and where to hold demonstrations against the government.

The democrats are not British. But they have shown to have the same policies about Iran as the British. They want to appease the mullahs and keep them in power. I think it was the Carter (a Democrat) administration's U. S. ambassador to Iran that called Khomeini "The Gandhi of this era and a saint". When Carter first took office he made it look as if he would be another friend of the Shah, just like past American presidents. But then he took the side of Khomeini and accused him of being a brutal dictator and accused Savak of inflicting horrible acts of torture against Iranians. Then came Khomeini and the hostage-takings. The Shah fled and came to the U. S. to be hospitalized for his cancer. He was very sick by then. Khomeini asked Carter to send the Shah back to Iran so that he and his family could be tried for their "crimes" and executed. And Carter actually considered it but he was advised not to return the Shah until the hostages were released. Well that didn't come through and the Shah ended up going from country to country and turn away everywhere until his old friend Anwar Saddat let him stay his final days in Egypt. And then Clinton (also a Democrat) also tried to appease the mullahs by relaxing the embargo ban and allowing Persian Carpet and cancer-causing Pestachio to be exported into America. These are our two biggest exports after oil. What else is left? Might as well just remove the trade embargo since the mullahs can sell the oil to the Japanese and Europe and sell expensive rugs and pistachio to USA. And now Bush is probably the only president who has taken a very tough stance against the mullahs with his "axis of evil" speech and saying at least 5 or 10 times in a year for 3 years in a row in various speeches that he supports the struggle of the Iranian people and the Iranian students against the regime. It's not like every democrat president is pro-mullah and every republican is against the mullahs. We have seen Republican presidents sometimes try to appease the mullahs too. Even the Bush administration people like Colin Powell sometimes say things that pleases the mullahs. And let's not forget about Reagan and the Iran Contra affair. But there is definately a trend. Democat's policy towards the mullah regime is very close to the european approach. Even President Kennedy (a Democrat) was also very much against the Shah's policies and accused him of being a brutal dictator and opposed the Shah's so-called "white revolution" to take away lands form the mullahs and the wealthy families and give land to the peasants who worked on it. I don't know how anyone can appose this one. I think I heard Farah Pahlavi say in an interview that it was Nancy Reagan who convinced her husband to pull some strings and allow the dead Shah's family to the U. S.
Azadeh_55

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
hi Stefania
the site daneshjoo.org is dead. Lets wait 2 days and see what happens. If it donīt work even then, maybe england has destroyed the site because I said we should boycott england in the future

I contacted the Movement and i was told that it's a temporary problem and the webmaster is working to fix it..

It was happened another time.

Anyway, i finished to read the book of farah diba and now i am about to finish to read the one of Reza Pahlavi.

I think that i am loving Iran and its People so much.

Thanks for existing beloved Iranian People!!!

Go to google and type in daneshjoo.org

You can access the site that way.
Eternal1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Azadeh
Azadeh_55

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is more of what is behind the scenes. Pro-regime Iranians have long been lobbying Democrat senators and politicians and they are good at what they do. They have lots of money and lots of resources to do it. Truth is they would like to lobby Republicans to leave the mullahs alone but Republicans don't seem to want to hear from them.

Quote:
Kerry's Iranian Connection Fights Democracy
FrontPage Magazine - By Robert Spencer
Sep 8, 2004

Frivolous lawsuits have long been used as weapons of the powerful against the weak; a particularly egregious example is now playing out in Texas, courtesy of one of John Kerry’s most controversial supporters: the Iranian Hassan Nemazee. Nemazee is pursuing a ten-million-dollar damage claim against the Student Movement Coordination Committee for Democracy in Iran (SMCCDI) and its coordinator, Aryo B. Pirouznia. A Nemazee victory in this suit would almost certainly muzzle or destroy altogether the SMCCDI, one of the most energetic and courageous opponents of Iran’s entrenched but uneasy mullahocracy. But now that Nemazee’s lawsuit has been filed, it has become increasingly clear that it could embarrass the entire Democratic Party — and severely damage the already flagging candidacy of John Kerry.

Nemazee is an influential figure with many friends in high places in groups such as the American-Iranian Council (AIC), the National Iranian American Council (NIAC), and the Iranian-American Bar Association (IABA). Nemazee’s name is also well known in Democratic Party circles. He was a prominent contributor to Bob Torricelli’s New Jersey Senate campaign. The multimillionaire entrepreneur also contributed $50,000 to his friend Al Gore’s Recount Fund (and $250,000 to the Gore campaign), $60,000 to Bill Clinton’s legal defense fund, and over $150,000 to the Democratic National Committee. Clinton attempted to reward him by naming him U.S. Ambassador to Argentina — but the Senate declined to confirm him after Forbes magazine published, in May 1999, an extremely damaging expose of his shady financial dealings.

Undaunted, Nemazee continued efforts to establish fruitful contacts between Iranian groups advocating normalization of relations with Iran and high-level members of the Democratic Party. He joined the Board of Directors of the AIC, an organization whose president, Hooshang Amirahmadi, is identified on the SMCCDI website as a “well known lobbyist for the Iranian Mullahocracy.” Nemazee was involved in a March 2002 fundraiser for Senate Foreign Affairs Committee heavyweight Joe Biden (D-DE). This event was hosted by Sadegh Namazikhah, another AIC member whom Aryo Pirouznia charges with trying to improve public perception of “one of the most despotic regimes in the world.”

Three months later it was Kerry’s turn: Nemazee invited the future Democratic standard bearer to speak at an AIC dinner. Nemazee himself also spoke, declaring that the AIC “does not attempt to explain or rationalize the position of the government of Iran, nor does it attempt to do so for the government of the United States. Its mission is to educate both sides and to attempt to establish the basis and the vehicle for a dialogue which will ultimately lead to a resumption of relations.” If Kerry registered any protest against this assertion that the United States should normalize relations with one of the world’s bloodiest dictatorships, it was not recorded. Nemazee, according to Iran experts Banafsheh Zand-Bonazzi and Elio Bonazzi, now seems to be denying that he ever made this speech at all — although it is still posted on the AIC’s website.

Outside San Francisco’s Ritz-Carlton Hotel, where this grand event was held, the SMCCDI organized a large protest rally. Nemazee, evidently, would not forget this and other affronts. In his lawsuit, he charges that the SMCCDI knowingly and repeatedly made “false and defamatory statements” about his support for the Iranian regime. His complaint states categorically that “Nemazee does not ‘support … the Islamic Republic and the Revolution.’”

But his friend Kerry, meanwhile, seems to have absorbed the very lessons that Nemazee now denies having tried to teach. Before the Council on Foreign Relations in December 2003, Kerry announced that he would be willing as President to pursue rapprochement with Iran: “As president, I will be prepared early on to explore areas of mutual interest with Iran, just as I was prepared to normalize relations with Vietnam a decade ago.” And most notoriously, his staff sent out an email that somehow made its way to the government-controlled Mehr News Agency in Tehran, where it was trumpeted as evidence of his resolve to patch things up with the mullahs. “It is in the urgent interests of the people of the United States,” the message read, “to restore our country’s credibility in the eyes of the world. America needs the kind of leadership that will repair alliances with countries on every continent that have been so damaged in the past few years, as well as build new friendships and overcome tensions with others.”

Kerry’s camp professed puzzlement over how this email made it to Tehran. Initially, a Kerry aide dismissed the story as “just a hoax.” But this pose proved impossible to maintain. Kerry’s senior foreign affairs advisor, Rand Beers, later admitted that the message was genuine, saying: “I have no idea how they got hold of that letter, which was prepared for Democrats Abroad. I scratched my head when I saw that. The only way they could have gotten it was if someone in Iran was with Democrats Abroad.” In light of the ties between the AIC and the Democratic Party, that possibility is at least open to question.

But Kerry’s olive branches to the regime that carries on the legacy of the Ayatollah Khomeini now embarrass him: his Council on Foreign Relations remarks seem to have been removed from the Kerry-Edwards website. Hence also the Nemazee lawsuit: to silence the SMCCDI and its inconvenient protests. One way to do that is indirect, by using the suit to put the SMCCDI out of action. According to documents that Pirouznia/SMCCDI defense attorney Bob Jenevein made available to me, the prosecution has been playing several such games. On August 20, 2004, Jenevein wrote a letter to Rob Wiley of Locke Lidell & Sapp, the elite Texas law firm representing Nemazee. He proposed five stipulations — points that both sides could agree to, so that they need not spend the court’s time trying to establish or disprove them. These included: “1. The Islamic regime in Iran is sympathetic to terrorists. 2. The Islamic regime in Iran poses a threat to the security of the United States and/or its citizens at home or abroad. 3. For the United States to normalize its diplomatic relations with Iran at this time would lend credibility to the Islamic regime in Iran. 4. For the United States to ease trade sanctions against Iran at this time would lend credibility to the Islamic regime in Iran. 5. Anything that would lend credibility to the Islamic regime in Iran at this time would have value to that regime.” Wiley answered on the same day that his team had taken the stipulations “under advisement”; but in the almost two weeks since then, gave no further answer. Thus Nemazee’s attorneys effectively agreed to none of the stipulations, raising the prospect that Jenevein would have to spend hours upon hours in court establishing these points, thereby endangering the SMCCDI by straining its financial resources.

Other documents furnished by Jenevein suggest that the prosecution is trying to run up the costs of the litigation in other ways also — attempting to find out who is paying Pirouznia’s legal bills and to drive SMCCDI into destitution. One example was a fax that Wiley sent to Jenevein last Monday afternoon, informing him of a draft motion that the prosecution was planning to file on certain matters regarding the case unless the prosecution and defense reached an agreement by 5PM Tuesday. Jenevein immediately faxed a response, suggesting ways to agree, but the prosecution ignored it and filed the motion the next morning anyway. This multiplication of motions, of course, is a classic tactic to drive up court costs.

Related to all this is the curious fact that, according to an inside source close to the case, Nemazee has never made himself available for a deposition. Pirouznia’s defense attorney contacted Nemazee’s lawyers in early August, immediately after taking the case (five months after it was filed), to request dates for this deposition; Nemazee’s team responded that he would only be available on two dates in November and two in December – all four after the election, and all over seven months after the case was filed. “He’s saying we want his deposition for political reasons,” the insider exclaimed incredulously, “but HE filed the lawsuit!” The Pirouznia/SMCCDI team has filed a motion ordering Nemazee to appear for a deposition on September 20; no ruling has been made on it yet.

Why file a lawsuit, and then play hide-and-seek with the defense? The lobbyist and his team seem to be trying to keep the case under wraps until after the presidential election. “Nemazee is worried that his candidate will be embarrassed if the facts of this litigation are made public,” observes Jenevein. “I’m afraid that this case would appear typical of the frivolous lawsuits about which Republicans complain so loudly. To the extent that Hassan Nemazee constitutes a link between a presidential campaign and the Iranian regime, that link would be considered a grave political liability for the campaign.

The lawsuit is designed to silence those who speak about this.”

The Nemazee camp appears to be growing increasingly anxious lest details of their suit leak out. That may be why, according to an informed source, the founder of a public relations firm and international speaker’s bureau that specializes in foreign policy and terrorism-related issues recently contacted Pirouznia and invited him to lunch — ultimately, two lunches on consecutive days, all to argue that he should drop the suit. Important figures of the Iranian democracy movement, the PR wizard intimated to Pirouznia, really wanted him to forget the whole thing. Dumbfounded, Pirouznia reminded the PR maven that it was he who was the target of the suit, and that he was only defending himself and his organization. Several other people who figures connected to the defense team wryly term “Nemazee’s messengers” also contacted Pirouznia to make the same appeal.

The SMCCDI and Aryo Pirouznia are evidently not the only ones in Nemazee’s sights. According to an informed source, Nemazee’s lawyer asked in official documents used by the plaintiff to build the case about the relationship between Pirouznia and another pair of stalwart Iran democracy activists: Banafsheh Zand-Bonazzi and Elio Bonazzi. Said the source: “Aryo’s lawyer objected that this is not relevant, but basically this means that even if Nemazee didn’t sue the Bonazzis directly, they are among his targets.” This despite the fact that the Bonazzis have never advanced any political agenda for Iran beyond promoting the idea of a genuine (not UN- or Jimmy Carter-led) internationally monitored referendum to decide on Iran’s form of government after the complete ousting of any form of theocracy. Zand-Bonazzi’s father, Siamak Pourzand, is a well-known Iranian journalist, intellectual, freedom fighter – and political prisoner of the Islamic regime.

Thus the mullahs fight on for their survival in the courtrooms of Texas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: