[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Achaemenid, World’s First Empire to Respect Cultural Diversi
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Save 7000 Years Heritage & Save the Archeological Sites of Pasargad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liberator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Achaemenid, World’s First Empire to Respect Cultural Diversi Reply with quote

Achaemenid, World’s First Empire to Respect Cultural Diversity
Source: Iranian Cultural Heritage News Agency

The Achaemenid dynasty was the first empire in the world that respected the cultural diversity of its different peoples.

Achaemenids (550-330 B.C.) led by Cyrus II (also known as Cyrus the Great or Cyrus the Elder) used to respect cultural values among the various nations living in their empire, announced the China’s official news agency, Xinhua in a story about the inscription of Pasargadae on the World Heritage list. The first dynastic capital of the Achaemenid Empire was founded by Cyrus II the Great, in Pars, homeland of the Persians, in the 6th century BC. Its palaces, gardens and the mausoleum of Cyrus are outstanding examples of the first phase of royal Achaemenid art and architecture and exceptional testimonies of Persian civilization. Particularly noteworthy vestiges in the 160-hectare site include the Mausoleum of Cyrus II, Tall-e Takht or a fortified terrace, and a royal ensemble of gatehouse, audience hall, residential palace, and gardens, adds Xinhua.

Pasargadae was the capital of the first great multi-cultural empire in Western Asia. Spanning the Eastern Mediterranean and Egypt to the Hindus River, it is considered to be the first empire that respected the cultural diversity of its different peoples.

This was reflected in Achaemenid architecture, a synthetic representation of different cultures.

Iran and Italy Document Achaemenid Inscriptions

Iranian and Italian experts are working on a digital program to enlist all inscriptions and manuscripts left from the Achaemenid dynasty.

The program aptly named Digital Achaemenid Royal Inscription Open Schema Hypertext (DARIOSH) is the brainchild of Iran’s National Museum and Italy’s L’Istituto Italiano per l’Africa e l’Oriente (ISIAO) and will be carried out at Naples University and Iranian National Archeology Museum in Tehran.

Its design would help researchers including archeologists, inscriptions experts and lexicologists in their online interdisciplinary studies, because the program would collect all the dispersed data on the dynasty (550-330 B.C.) from around the globe and categorize in one single place for easier access.

The programmers are pursuing three major goals: 1) compiling an updated list of the linguistic literature of languages spoken in that era, 2) making a new analysis of the Achaemenids’ texts, 3) editing and translating those texts.

http://www.chn.ir

www.anjomane-padeshahi.org
http://aryamehr11.blogspot.com/
reza

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the achamenids respected cultural diversity because it suited them to. had they forced their own culture on their subjects then the empire would be wracked with rebellion. Cyrus learnt from the barbarian assyrian empire's mistakes and held his empie together by appearing to be a man for the people even though he was not one of the people. Fo instance, by adopting babylonian customs and praying to their gods, no doubt with much ceremony and publicity, he could demonstrate to the people that he is benevolent and respectful and thereby retain control of them. While this is in itself genius the other achamenid kings followed cyrus's winning strategy because it worked not because it was the right thing to do. This is one of the main reasons for the empire holding together throughout the reigns of weak kings and war with greece, the others being largely down to darius the greats incredible logistical skill and prowess at building up a stable infrastructure.
"When on the battlefield if you have the sole intention of breaking into the enemy lines, you will manifest martial valour. Furthermore if you are slain in battle you should be resolved to having your corpse facing the enemy" - Yamamoto tsunetomo
sudi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reza wrote:
the achamenids respected cultural diversity because it suited them to. ... Cyrus learnt from the barbarian assyrian empire's mistakes and held his empie together by appearing to be a man for the people even though he was not one of the people. Fo instance, by adopting babylonian customs and praying to their gods, no doubt with much ceremony and publicity, he could demonstrate to the people that he is benevolent and respectful and thereby retain control of them. ...

You seem to be suggesting that Cyrus The Great's respect for religious and cultural diversity was a facade. Are you saying that he simply pretended to be respectful of, for example, Babylonian customs? Was his declaration of human rights a tactical move too? Is this your personal opinion or is this based on facts? Please site your sources.
Persian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sudi wrote:
reza wrote:
the achamenids ...(blah blah blah). ...

You seem to be suggesting that Cyrus The Great's respect for religious and cultural diversity was a facade. Are you saying that he simply pretended to be respectful of, for example, Babylonian customs? Was his declaration of human rights a tactical move too? Is this your personal opinion or is this based on facts? Please site your sources.

Reza's very keen on bashing at Persian culture, and not shy about it even a bit. I think I know what the problem is.

Either his dad was one of the leftists of "Iranian Student Federation" who took out money and instead of studying and doing their country some good, did spy work against their nation and country.

az chenaan pedari, chenin tokhm e haram haii ham bayad biaad!!

or he's dad was a British spy both back then in federation and now!

either way, they're family tree must come from the Barbaric Taazi of Sahara!

I bet his grandpa was akhound! Razz

Reza jan, if you're not a " tokhm e haroom e taazi" or if you're dad wasn't a Leftist british Spy and in Federation, then what's up with all the anti-persian comments? the whole site is full of it.

and even today on eve of July 9th, you're so keen on bashing our culture and history! WHY?

tell your daddy why he's not in Iran if he was in federation and can easily travel to iran now? you know why? because he has no love of the land in his heart. or he wouldn't BETREY it that way at 79!
Liberator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: its a shame... Reply with quote

If this "Reza" was an IranLover he would definately not use the tone that he uses in his above post!

I don't have time to get into much of a discussion on this guy since everyone should be able to come to his/her own conclusion based on his writings....

www.anjomane-padeshahi.org
http://aryamehr11.blogspot.com/
reza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because i have an opinion on something does not make me a spy or a leftist. This is the most oppresive forum i have ever seen, if a person merely inflects that iran is not the perfect civilisation he or she is chastised and banned. How democratic are we over here?

you can call me a spy but it marks you out as a immature conspiracy theorist who likes to believe that spies are coming to get you all the time and we must defeat their evil presence! give it up you james bond wannabes.

you wanna know why i sometimes disagree with persian culture? its because persian culture is not perfect, no culture is! and by idealising persia's past you make saints out of ordinary men. cyrus was a practical master of politics. read xenophon's education of cyrus or perhaps herodotus's histories. - respecting cultural diversity is a neccesary tool to hold an empire together, it would not have survived long otherwise.

if you ban me you prove that you are as barbaric and totalitarin as stalin..
"When on the battlefield if you have the sole intention of breaking into the enemy lines, you will manifest martial valour. Furthermore if you are slain in battle you should be resolved to having your corpse facing the enemy" - Yamamoto tsunetomo
blank

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reza:
Unfortunately you are the kind of person I call "rain on everybody elses parade"......You criticise Iranians herritage, yet idolize Alexander Shocked So you figure why people see you as they see......because what you say is "un patriotic" and way to the left..... I am sure you idolize Michael Moore..........
sudi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reza wrote:
...cyrus was a practical master of politics. read xenophon's education of cyrus or perhaps herodotus's histories.

Even the Greeks, who were enemies of the Persian empire, considered Kourosh Kabir an admirable ruler ... and Greek historians have generally been negatively biased towards Persians and Persian rulers. Herodotus' stories about Kourosh Kabir made Kourosh appear superhuman.

Quote:
- respecting cultural diversity is a neccesary tool to hold an empire together, it would not have survived long otherwise.

Can't/won't argue with that.
reza

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never said cyrus was a bad ruler, he was the greatest king to ever walk the earth, but this does not mean that he was perfect in every way. And blank i dont idolise alexander i respect his military skill. I idolise cyrus more than any other leader in history. But i will still recognise faults or certain political techniques used by him.

furthermore, anyone who knows anythng about cyrus knew that even the greeks respected his power and qualities but that did not stop him from saying, "The greeks are a people who set aside a place in their towns to swear oaths and cheat each other". Does this sound like someone who respects all cultures and their customs? Cyrus is talking about the agora in greek towns wher policy issues would be debated. - Cyrus here is shown to disrespect another culture's customs and system of government, namely democracy.

- quotes taken from herodotus's histories.
patriot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people in Activist chat,

Please I ask you not to waste your golden time to reply and pay attention to Unpatriotic and idiot words of Reza!

He is not a real iranian and as he already in one of his messages said he was proud of being an eight God damn British!

Leave him the hell alone!

Kourosh is such great that doesn t need the judgment of enemies!
look at the united nation and you can find his Clyndle there and in the heart of every single pro-human right!

and one more thing, Herodote is known as the lier and unacountable historical books!

i love King Cyrus the great, you will forever be the best

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shahineazadi
sudi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reza wrote:
furthermore, anyone who knows anythng about cyrus knew that even the greeks respected his power and qualities but that did not stop him from saying, "The greeks are a people who set aside a place in their towns to swear oaths and cheat each other". Does this sound like someone who respects all cultures and their customs? Cyrus is talking about the agora in greek towns wher policy issues would be debated. - Cyrus here is shown to disrespect another culture's customs and system of government, namely democracy...

The Greeks were the ones who marched against Cyrus to put him and his empire 'down'. So it's no surprise that Cyrus had ill will towards them. Furthermore, the corruption in the ancient Greek courts and their way of life is widely known; hence the famous quote "Lie, cheat, steal, because that is the Sparta way!"
reza

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the greeks never marched against cyrus, the first clash between their civillisations was at marathon. Cyrus was long dead by then - secondly the greeks never mounted an expidition into persia to put them down, only the macedonians attempted this. The only thing the greeks might do were to incite rebellion in the ionian provinces along the coast of anatolia -and this was never undertaken during cyrus's rule. therefore cyrus had no reason other than the greek's turning down an offer to join his empire to bear ill will toward them. and even if he bore ill will to them, his insult to their customs proves that he did not respect cultural diversity at base level.

even if cyrus knew of the corruption in greek democracy, it was regarded by the greek as their custom to grease palms and accept donations - hence cyrus is insulting someone elses customs, if the achamenids respected cultural diversity merely because they were benevolent people cyrus would not have debased the greeks in this way. Had the greeks been part of the empire cyrus would never have made this comment because he would be seen as an oppressor and rebellion would be rife in greece.

patriot i didnt think it was possible but your ignorance has made you look even more like a fool - i am patriotic, i love iran, but i do not love it unconditionally, that would be folly. to be proud of being british is no sin, by condemning my blood you show yourself to be a racist and therefore the oppisite of what you hold cyrus up to be - how intelligent of you...
sudi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reza wrote:
the greeks never marched against cyrus, the first clash between their civillisations was at marathon.

Kourosh Kabir conquered Lydians that ruled over Ionian Greeks. And incidently, Herodotus was an Ionian Greek!

Quote:
even if cyrus knew of the corruption in greek democracy,

So you admit there was corruption.

Quote:
it was regarded by the greek as their custom to grease palms and accept donations

No, bribery was against Greek law.

Quote:
hence cyrus is insulting someone elses customs,

I think you're taking this "honoring others' customs" a little too far. Kourosh Kabir was a just ruler ... that doesn't mean he should have turned his head away from injustices and corruptions. It may be a group of people's custom to murder their deformed babies (as in the case of ancient athenians), that doesn't mean the practice should be honored!
blank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patriot is right......Reza is not worth my time to respond to.....he is an ignorant model of "Iranian Michael Moore"........who only wants to find negativity in our herritage instead of good and positive.......guys, don't waste your time with an a--hole like him....
reza

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kourosh Kabir conquered Lydians that ruled over Ionian Greeks. And incidently, Herodotus was an Ionian Greek!

so then it was cyrus who marched against the ionians not the other way around! and cyrus fought them to extend his empire. herodotus was made famous for his impartiality so biases are not a factor with him.

Quote:
So you admit there was corruption

i never said there was'nt any and i am not holding the greeks up as a shining example to all, as i said before no culture is perfect.

Quote:
No, bribery was against Greek law.

it was against the law but the greeks regarded it as an everyday occurence which occured with all politicians - i have qualifications in classics and the study of greeks, i know what i am talking about.

Quote:
I think you're taking this "honoring others' customs" a little too far

i am not taking anything too far, it was said on this forum that the achamenids respected cultural diversity and i told you why it was neccesary for this practice. secondly i pointed out thayt cyrus did not respect the greek culture to furter my previous point - i have overpursued nothing except the truth and yet i am derided by ignoramuses such as blank and patriot who are too blinded by their own patriotism to see that iran is not perfect and neither was cyrus.

Quote:
It may be a group of people's custom to murder their deformed babies (as in the case of ancient athenians), that doesn't mean the practice should be honored!

this is an extremely poor analogy as cyrus insulted the greek practice of DEMOCRACY! how is this similar to killing babies? here cyrus has insulted not only someone elses custom, as you said that cyrus would not do because he respects cultural diversity, but cyrus has also insulted democracy. Not his finest hour...

blank, by calling me ignorant you have proved absolutely nothing except your ignorance, you say im not worth your time but you still made a post! hypocritical garbage like this makes you seem foolish - i only point out negativity where blind patriotism obscures the facts, despite my opinions on cyrus i still hold him in the highest honour as the greatest king who ever lived and possibly ever will live. maybe you need to think about what you are saying before you type it, or perhaps i should use smaller words in the vain attempt that you might comprehend what i am saying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Save 7000 Years Heritage & Save the Archeological Sites of Pasargad All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: