[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Nobel Peace Prize 2003 - press release

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salinescape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: The Nobel Peace Prize 2003 - press release Reply with quote

The Nobel Peace Prize 2003 - press release

"The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the Nobel Peace Prize for 2003 to Shirin Ebadi for her efforts for democracy and human rights. She has focused especially on the struggle for the rights of women and children.

As a lawyer, judge, lecturer, writer and activist, she has spoken out clearly and strongly in her country, Iran, and far beyond its borders. She has stood up as a sound professional, a courageous person, and has never heeded the threats to her own safety.

Her principal arena is the struggle for basic human rights, and no society deserves to be labelled civilized unless the rights of women and children are respected. In an era of violence, she has consistently supported non-violence. It is fundamental to her view that the supreme political power in a community must be built on democratic elections. She favours enlightenment and dialogue as the best path to changing attitudes and resolving conflict.

Ebadi is a conscious Moslem. She sees no conflict between Islam and fundamental human rights. It is important to her that the dialogue between the different cultures and religions of the world should take as its point of departure their shared values. It is a pleasure for the Norwegian Nobel Committee to award the Peace Prize to a woman who is part of the Moslem world, and of whom that world can be proud - along with all who fight for human rights wherever they live.

During recent decades, democracy and human rights have advanced in various parts of the world. By its awards of the Nobel Peace Prize, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has attempted to speed up this process.

We hope that the people of Iran will feel joyous that for the first time in history one of their citizens has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, and we hope the Prize will be an inspiration for all those who struggle for human rights and democracy in her country, in the Moslem world, and in all countries where the fight for human rights needs inspiration and support. "
stefania

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion,unless Islam is reformed,it is not compatible with human rights..

I wish to post a message from a SMCCDI reader which wrote something right--

"Here are some important thoughts: If this woman has been so active in Iran why is she not dead yet? Why has the regime allowed her to work within the establishment when the slightest hint of dissent in Iran is dealt with by blunt and extreme brutality?

This is great news but smells a little suspicious. People have been jailed, tortured, thrown out of their dorm room windows, and brutally murdered for things as innocent as voicing an objection or honking their car horns.

Just a little strange at this point. Must wait and see the proceeding developments.

So she's conveniently out on bail after a 5-year sentence for all her "activism" while Ahmad Batebi sits miserably in confinement on a death-verdict-reduced-to-15-year sentence for waving the bloody shirt of his brutalized friend.

Makes perfect sense.

I have no intentions of being cynical. I'm just looking at the facts. I truly hope that this women is genuine because we need more people like her.

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
stefania

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A communist italian newspaper yesterday praised the Nobel peace prize winner, writing:
"She loves Palestine.She despise America.She condemned the american invasion of Iraq.She is not against Islam but for the reformist govt of Khatami.She Above all, she is not a puppet of the Shah's son like many of those who live in the USA".

well, i have no comment..
it could write: "She loves the Iranian people ( more than Palestine).She appreciates the US support to the Iranian people,she is not against Islam,but she also is NOT for the "reformist" govt.Above all,she is not a puppet of the Shah's sone but neither the iranians in the USA are his puppets"

the title of the newspaper was "Peace in Iran".. that,in their mentality means "Don't touch Iran,America!"..
Maybe it was better for it to say "Freedom for Iran !"..
Because i don't think there is peace in Iran..In iran there is a 25-years long war..In my opinion,a system which kill the opponents is a war system..

P.S. I am online candidate for the Transnational Radical Party and my objective is,if i am elected,promote the iranian cause..
I received several e-mails from friends that often visit this site and are also members of the TRP..

I hope i can do something for you!!

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
stefania

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that is defends the "reforms" in Iran...
she wants to promote the "reform movement",not a regime change.. at this point,i would prefer the Nobel Peace Prize was given to Ahmad Batebi and all those which are fighting and dying for freedom in Iran and have no time and will to praise the progress that the women did under Khatami !
Now, Europe continues to believe that Khatami is good..

I am for the Nobel to all those in Iran,above all those which are STILL in the prisons,including Ahmad Batebi and Afsaneh !

It's not a case that for the first time , the so-called "reformists" praised this choice.. Surely, if she had condemned also the "reformist" Khatami in front of all the Europe, she was not praised by the "reformists"..

It's a good choice, but i fear that this doesnt help a regime change..This may help the "reformists" to gain more support from the blind european countries, which now believe MORE and MORE to the myth of the "reformist's democratization process"..And to continue the business deals with the "reformists"..

I don't also think that this helps truly those which try to explain the europeans that the current regime members are all the same !

REGIME CHANGE, NOT "REFORMS"..EUROPE, WAKE UP ! DON'T BE DECEIVED!!

salinescape
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: must Reply with quote

Hey Stef, I can understand your concerns but you must realize that the way by which regime change occurs is not some clear cut obvious change that happens overnight. But I can tell you that after thinking about everything for the last few days, it seems to me that this will be beneficial in many aspects (in support of the Iranian people, human rights, and democracy). First of all - the Nobel Prize is an award given by Europeans. So what this could show is that the Euro moving away from necessarily supporting regime and in a way is spitting in the regime's face. The regime as you know has condemned giving Shirin Ebadi the award - and says that they feel it is interfering in Iranian affairs. Secondly, she has truly done many positive things in Iran for human rights. Third this is going to give human rights activists and pro-democracy movements greater strength in Iran and will also provide the outside world with an example by which they can produce helpful rhetoric with. For example Bush talking about the nobel prize for Shirin Ebadi that will help the IRanian people against a brutal regime, etc...

I think overall this will be good - and I think it happened for a reason.

Politics is a complex complex game - and I think there are many possbilities, motives, avenues and outcomes at play so we shouldn't discount an award such as this because she is part of a reform party. There are many in the reform party who are good - but dare not speak their minds because it is not to their advantage.. But once things like this award and other positive things occur, it will give them more power - power for the people... Eventually the clerical regime will fall.. .we can be sure of that!

Best -

stefania wrote:
I read that is defends the "reforms" in Iran...
she wants to promote the "reform movement",not a regime change.. at this point,i would prefer the Nobel Peace Prize was given to Ahmad Batebi and all those which are fighting and dying for freedom in Iran and have no time and will to praise the progress that the women did under Khatami !
Now, Europe continues to believe that Khatami is good..

I am for the Nobel to all those in Iran,above all those which are STILL in the prisons,including Ahmad Batebi and Afsaneh !

It's not a case that for the first time , the so-called "reformists" praised this choice.. Surely, if she had condemned also the "reformist" Khatami in front of all the Europe, she was not praised by the "reformists"..

It's a good choice, but i fear that this doesnt help a regime change..This may help the "reformists" to gain more support from the blind european countries, which now believe MORE and MORE to the myth of the "reformist's democratization process"..And to continue the business deals with the "reformists"..

I don't also think that this helps truly those which try to explain the europeans that the current regime members are all the same !

REGIME CHANGE, NOT "REFORMS"..EUROPE, WAKE UP ! DON'T BE DECEIVED!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: