[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAY NO To Israeli Strikes on IRAN!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asher

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - I am not a nuclear weapons expert, but I am a science geek ... and I did grow up in America during the Cold War!

Cool
Mokhber

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that before anyone starts talking about destroying nuclear facilities in Iran, the nuclear facilities in Israel, Pakistan, North Korea and India should be destroyed first.

But having said that, it isn't the nuclear reactors that will be generating material for a nuclear weapon, if that is what Iran intends. Bushehr will generate electricity and nothing else, most likely. The reason is that Iran already has the technology for uranium enrichment by centrifuge. Reactors are used to create Plutonium but that route requires highly radioactive processing to extract materials, it requires a great deal of technological expertise in metallurgy, in high explosives fabrication, &c. The fact that Iran dabbled with Polonium, which is used in initiators for Plutonium bombs, but stoped work many years ago suggests that the decision was made to forgo that route.

Uranium enrichment, on the other hand, is almost a sure fire path to nuclear weaponry because the technology to weaponize the U235 product is not nearly as great (the U.S. used a howitzer to build the first U235 bomb and didn't even test it before dropping it on Hiroshima because it was so certain to work). Also, U235 is not very radioactive and because a reactor is not required, there is no highly radioactive processing. So contrary to the last post, while bombing an enrichment plant might scatter Uranium all over the place, it wouldn't be a radiological catastrophe like bombing a working reactor.

Despite this, I do not believe that such action by Israel or the U.S. is the proper way to promote peaceful use of nuclear technology. Thus far there is no evidence that Iran intends to build a nuclear weapon although it appears certain that it intends to gain the knowledge and capability to create such a device if international strategic conditions change.
Iranian Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No to Israeli or American military attack on Iran but yes to moralic support for regime change.

A foreign attack on Iran is exactly what the mullahs want, and an israeli attack could create closer relationship between people and regime
Iranian boy

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iranian Boy wrote:
No to Israeli or American military attack on Iran but yes to moralic support for regime change.

A foreign attack on Iran is exactly what the mullahs want, and an israeli attack could create closer relationship between people and regime

just like the war 1980-1988
If this war had not occured, perhaps the islamic republic would have collapsed for over 20 years ago.
The war helped the mullahs to remain at power.
asher

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mokhber, thanks for the clarification!
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

LISTEN - I have no problem with missile trikes on the mullahs installations however only if these strikes are combined with internal operations to overthrow the regime.. simply sending some israeli fighters to bomb nuke facilities and say **** you mullahs without supporting the Iranian people makes no sense..

STRIKE the mullahs but combine it with support both external and internal for the Iranian people...

!!!!
stefania

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's clear that him who posted this hysteric anti-Israel post as "guest" looks more anti-Israel than anti-mullahs..

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
asher

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect Mokhber's analysis but I disagree with the conclusions. I don't see any basis for comparing an Israeli airstrike with saddam's war on Iran in the 1980's. The regime will use whatever pretext it finds convenient to try to deflect the people's anger away from the mullahs; I happen to think the Iranian people are smarter than that.

There's something to be said for a broader program of de-nuclearization, but I don't think you can compare Israel with North Korea or even India/Pakistan - these are all very different situations. The intentions of the state possessing the nuclear weapons must be taken into account. And yes, a "nonproliferation" policy that overlooks (or pretends to overlook) that factor is somewhat hypocritical; but that's not an issue we can resolve immediately, and it's outside the scope of the present discussion.

I'm afraid the fine distinction between "intending to build a weapon" and "intending to gain the knowledge and capability to create such a device if international strategic conditions change" is a little too close for comfort. I am certain the Israelis would not be comfortable with it.

If the US and Israel perceive a nuclear threat from Iran - and it's clear that they do - then we must accept that a response is inevitable. Again, I think it is in the best interests of both Iranians and the West to insist that any such action be accompanied by meaningful support for regime change. In that case, I do not see how either Iranian activists or their Western supporters could object.
Mokhber

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asher,

I think that the "value" in this situation is that it forces the government to have some accountability. It can't have it both ways; being a member of IAEA and NPT and also running secret programs behind the scenes. It really puts pressure on Khamene'i, especially. I mean, either he knew about all the secret goings on or he did not. Either way he makes himself to look like an ass. Why agree to the additional protocol if there are still things to hide?

On this bombing question, what is there to bomb? Bombing Bushehr would serve no purpose except punitive and it would create an environmental disaster. Bombing the known enrichment sites would also be pointless unless Iran pulls out of the NPT. As long as there is IAEA oversight, there can be no significant* violations at those locations. The only sites of any value to destroy would be something that has not yet been declared and publicly identified. And one would think that such facilities would be underground in hardened bunkers, if they exist.

* "Significant" from a practical bomb making standpoint. Declared facilities, including the U.S. built research reactor at Daaneshgaaye Tehran, were used for the experiments to produce insignificant amounts of plutonium. With the additional protocol, even these little experiments should not be possible without IAEA knowing about it.

If U.S. pressure drives Iran out of the NPT then all the leverage that presently exists against the Iranian government will be eliminated. An attack on Iran would probably guarantee that it would go nuclear.
Mokhber

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm afraid the fine distinction between "intending to build a weapon" and "intending to gain the knowledge and capability to create such a device if international strategic conditions change" is a little too close for comfort.

This is why some people think that the NPT needs to be revised. When the new centrifuge technology was controlled by a few countries, the only route to a weapon was through difficult and large-scale (even this is not small scale) processes that would be hard to hide.

The NPT is based on the "deal" that non-nuclear member states agree to forgo development of weapons in exchange for access to nuclear technology for peaceful applications. The NPT does not prohibit countries from enriching uranium but implicit in that original allowance was the presumption that the ability to enrich uranium to weapons grade would be beyond the reach of these countries. That is no longer true.
Liberty Now !

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mokhber wrote:
I think that before anyone starts talking about destroying nuclear facilities in Iran, the nuclear facilities in Israel, Pakistan, North Korea and India should be destroyed first.

Ok, I've changed my mind Exclamation

After reading the above comment by Mr. Mokhber Arrow

I now support an Israeli Air Strike on Regime's Nuclear Sites.

(with all safety measures taken into account, and minimal damage)

Arrow refer to the main page -News Brief- and take a look at the AUTHOR of THIS POST Razz
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: We Need U.S. Policy For Islamists Regime Change in Iran Reply with quote

IsraelForIran wrote:
Firstly, I want to make some things clear.
Israel IS NOT going to attack the Iranian facilities or any target in Iran with Nuclear weapons.
Secondly, Israel DOES NOT want to launch an attack against the Iranian nuclear facilities, BUT, IF THE IRANIAN NUCLEAR FACILITIES ARE READY, AND ARE ALMOST BEEN ACTIVATED, ISRAEL M-U-S-T ATTACK THEM BEFORE THEY ARE READY FOR ACTION, MEANING, BEFORE THEY CAN SPREAD A NUCLEAR RADIATION!!!!
OF COURSE, ALL THE SECURITY MEASURES WILL BE TAKEN, SO THE IRANIAN CITIZENS WON'T GET HURT.
YOU M-U-S-T UNDERSTAND, PASADARANS' NUCLEAR WEAPONS= THE END OF ISRAEL AND PRO-FREEDOM ACTIONS OF THE AMERICAN ADMINASTRATIONS. THEY WOULD BE ABLE TO ACTIVATE MORE TERRORISTS E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E, FROM SAUDI TO EUROPE, FROM THE BALKANS TO IRAQ AND AFHANISTAN, AND N-O-O-N-E WOULD BE ABLE TO TOUCH THEM!!!!!
ISRAEL ATTACKED THE IRAQI NUCLEAR FACILITIES DURING 1981, BEFORE THESE FACILITIES WERE ACTIVATED, AND ALL THE WORLD DENOUNCED US AND PUT THE BLAME ON US FOR TRYING TO CAUSE A NUCLEAR WAR.
BUT JUST THINK, IN 1991, WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF SADDAM HAD NUCLEAR WEAPONS???
WE SAVED KUWAIT'S ASS, UAE'S ASS, SAUDI'S ASS, AND OF COURSE, THEY ARE STILL HOSTILE AND ANTISEMIS.
AS FAR AS I CONCERN, AFTER THE AYATOLLAHS' FALLEN, IRAN CAN HAVE ALL THE GULF COUNTRIES FOR ITSELF+NUCLEAR WEAPONS.
NOW, WE MUST TRY TO BRING THE DEMOCRACY TO IRAN, BUT, IF THE IRANIAN PEOPLE DON'T TAKE OVER IRAN BEFORE THE NUCLEAR FACILITES ARE COMPLETLY READY, ISRAEL WON'T HAVE ANY OTHER CHOISE BUT PROTECTING ITSELF AND THE AMERICAN INTERESTS FROM A NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST,AND OF COURSE, WILL DO ANYTHING TO PREVENT EVEN THE SLIGHTEST CHANCE OF HITTING IRANIAN CIVILIANS!!!!

Let me make it very clear that the great majority of Iranian people have many common interests with Majority of freedom-loving Israelis and recognizing their rights to live in peace and security like any other nations. As I understand it today the Israelis like any other nations can be divided to different groups, the great majority of Israelis are freedom-loving peaceful people who hate violence and they want to live in peace and security but there is a small group of Israelis religious fanatics who can be as bad as Mullahs fanatics and their existence is in violence, conflict , and war for profits . However today the freedom-loving Iranian people have no common interest with violent religious fanatics of any sort. Many Iranian people are hoping after Mullahs downfall the Iranian Jews in U.S. and Israel like millions of other freedom-loving Iranian people who left their country because of Mad Mullahs actions can go back to their homeland to build peaceful Iran under secular democracy. Iranian Jews have made many great contributions to Iran during past 2500 years history of Iran and they are part of FREE IRAN future and they must be able to live in peace and harmony n their homeland. As Iranian we are proud of the fact that the President Of Israel and Israel Defense Minister are from Iran and making great contributions.

Today the fundamental Question for many Iranians and Iranian Americans is this, how can we reach to the goal of FREE IRAN ASAP with minimum bloodshed and what is the best optimal solution?

If U.S. follows a policy that focuses exclusively on the nuclear issue, with EU delay tactic to keep Mullahs in power as long as possible and just possible partial military strikes against nuclear installation not the Mullahs themselves and their supporters while failing to address the will and rights of the freedom-loving Iranian people for regime change, most probably we would strengthen the Islamic clerical regime. Merely striking Iranian nuclear facilities without clear U.S. Mullahs Regime Change policy would likely delay regime change and have many dangerous unpredictable outcome and risks. This is the well known fact that the Islamic Clerical Regime could not have come to power 25 years ago without the initial full support of G7 and mistakes by Shah of Iran and Iranian opposition intellectuals. Since we can not change the past we need to do the right thing now and future.

From what we read and hear the great majority of freedom-loving Iranian people want and support?
1- Clear open U.S. Policy now by President Bush for regime change in Iran within few months before U.S. election.

2- President Bush Admin serial regime change policy and strategy to change Afghanistan, Iraq and then may be Iran if President Bush will be elected again is not a good idea, and that is why we are running to many problems in Iraq and Afghanistan.

3- We need strong ultimatum from President Bush to primary hidden supporters of Islamic Clerical Regime (Britain) and secondary group of supporters (France, Germany, EU and Japan) to stop helping the regime to survive. Iran should not be the milking Cow for the EU welfare society exploitation.

4- Strong U.S. ultimatum to illegitimate Islamic Clerical regime to step down peacefully immediately and transfer the power to team of Iranian American to setup free referendum under U.S. and International supervision with U.S. military presence in Iran as peace keeper. If the Mullahs do not agree to step down peacefully the U.S should provide massive financial and military support for freedom loving Iranian opposition both inside and outside Iran to remove the regime within short period of time.

For the background references, facts and information to support the above suggestions please visit the following thread of discussions and Petitions:

• Michael Ledeen ( Great American Scholar) (http://www.nationalreview.com/ledeen/ledeen-archive.asp)
• Senator Sam Brownback (R - KA) (http://www.activistchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=352)
• A Plea for Justice – Bam Earthquake Genocide (http://www.petitiononline.com/bamquake/petition.html)
• Kazemi Petition: Expel Islamic Clerical Regime of Iran from The UN For Killing a Canadian Photojournalist, and Call For Free Referendum In Iran! (http://www.petitiononline.com/zkazemi/petition.html)
• Regime Change In Iran By Promoting Human Rights, Freedom and Free Referendum (http://www.petitiononline.com/zkazemi/petition.html)
• Time is Running Out Where Is The Real Support? (http://www.activistchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1540)
• Finally, I've found a pro-American country.( http://activistchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2218)
• Iran and The Future of Freedom (http://activistchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1932)
blank

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Azadeh, they should do the same thing as they did with Sadam's nuks.......
asher

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyrus,

Thanks, that clears things up a great deal! I do understand - and share - the objection that a counter-nuclear weapons strike ALONE would actually set the cause of freedom back, by taking the pressure off the regime.

Your four-point plan for comprehensive regime change NOW, not later, looks really good and I could support that. Have you started circulating it as a petition?

Undoubtedly US citizens can help by writing to their President, Defense and (groan) State Secretaries, and Congressional representatives. Would you advocate any other measures (e.g., a boycott of UK consumer goods)?
asher

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Now,

Could you explain your last post a little better?

What changed your mind?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: