[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bush Names Negroponte Iraq Ambassador (Fox)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Bush Names Negroponte Iraq Ambassador (Fox) Reply with quote

Monday, April 19, 2004
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,117518,00.html

WASHINGTON — U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John D. Negroponte (search) is the new U.S. ambassador-designate to Iraq, President Bush announced Monday.

"He has done a really good job of speaking for the United States to the world about our intentions to spend freedom and peace. John Negroponte is a man of enormous experience and skill," Bush said in the Oval Office with the diplomat by his side. "No doubt in my mind he can handle it, no doubt in my mind he will do a very good job, no doubt in my mind that Iraq will be free and peaceful."

Though currently an ambassador, Negroponte, 64, must be confirmed for the post by the Senate. Negroponte will also have to wait until a government is in place before he can present his credentials. Iraqis are set to take over their own sovereignty by July 1, even though the U.S.-led coalition will keep troops in place there for at least a year. At the time Iraqis gain self-rule, Coalition Provisional Authority (search) Administrator L. Paul Bremer will depart, and Negroponte will be the top U.S. official there.

Negroponte, who led the effort to gain U.N. support for a mission into Iraq, is a career foreign service officer who started out in Vietnam. He served as an aide to former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger and was U.S. ambassador to Mexico and the Philippines.

He also served as ambassador to Honduras from 1981 to 1985, at which time he assisted the Contras (search) in Nicaragua in their war with the left-wing Sandinista government, which was aligned with Cuba and the Soviet Union.

He was working in the corporate world before being asked by Bush to go to the United Nations in September 2001. There, he helped win unanimous approval by the Security Council for a resolution that demanded Saddam Hussein's government comply with U.N. resolutions that it disarm.

The Security Council later refused to endorse a resolution that would have called for the overthrow of Saddam, opting for continued weapons inspections instead.

The U.S. Embassy in Baghdad will be housed temporarily in a palace that belonged to the now-deposed Iraqi leader and when fully manned will be the largest in the world.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

--- Any thoughts on what this will mean for Iran?
freedom fighter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no Idea. Hopefull good things perhaps we can get Iran on the same track and get both of them up and running freely and such as they should be
stefania

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negroponte is of Italian descent.. I'm proud that he has been appointed as US Ambassador to Iraq!

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Equality

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the US government will send an ambassador to the puppet government in Iraq which it controls? guess we should file that under the department of redundancy department.
stefania

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equality wrote:
So the US government will send an ambassador to the puppet government in Iraq which it controls? guess we should file that under the department of redundancy department.

Shocked Puppet Govt?? what you mean??

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
stefania

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope in a good democratic colonization of Iraq..

blank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope he won't get killed......
freedom fighter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he speaks of the USA controlling Iraq which is true and unfortunate we should only make sure that rights are not denied and people are kept safe it is the Iraqi peoples government not ours. Keep them safe and make sure things stay reasonable. Yes I to hope he is safe and not assasinated or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: