[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"I Am in Permanent Contact with Iran"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reza Pahlavi interview

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: "I Am in Permanent Contact with Iran" Reply with quote

"I Am in Permanent Contact with Iran"
February 24, 2004
Point De Vue
Vincent Meylan

Original Link

:The Eldest Son of the last Shah of Iran Speaks to Exlusively to Vincent Meylan:

There are the bodyguards, in black suits who ask you not to reveal the place of rendezvous, the private secretary, the chauffeurs, the press attaches, those of Reza Pahlavi and those of Flammarion, the publisher of his book, "Pour L'Iran" (For Iran), a retinue which moves with its king in exile. All this polite world, smiling, but when the allocated time has run out, no point to plead for another five minutes to take one last photograph. "We are sorry to hurry you, but the Prince has appointments all day." That's it. The meeting is over. Reza Pahlavi, himself, would have stayed a while longer to discuss with you. Like a fine Easterner, he appreciates a long chat. He likes to argue, to debate, exposes his ideas and above all, to talk about his country, Iran, the goal of his struggle for 25 years.

POINT DE VUE: Do you think that one day you will become the Shah of Iran, like your father?

REZA PAHLAVI: I have always said that the form of the regime is not the key question. Most important is the content of the regime. It must be founded on the sovereignty of the people, the universal declaration of human rights, and the secularism of the state. It is on these pillars that a democratic future can be drawn for Iran. Once these principles of government have been won, the people can choose between a democratic republic and constitutional monarchy.

PDV: What will be your future role then?

RP: It is not the future that preoccupies me, but the present. Today, my only mission is to gather the opposition, inside and outside Iran. We must work together, to finally bring down this regime, to manage well the transition period and organise free elections and a national referendum.

PDV: What will be the main goals of this referendum?

RP: The first objective will be to mark the official end of the Islamic republic. The second, to allow the Iranian people to express their support for the principles that I have just outlined. The Iranian republic is a theocracy, we must never forget that. In this system, the citizens are considered as children, incapable of self-government. All the decisions are taken by the Supreme Leader. Only he can interpret the laws of the Koran. We are in a week of parliamentary elections in Iran, but the word election has no real meaning. It is not the deputies who make the law. They propose it to a council, which itself depends on the Supreme Leader. This calling to the ballot box is nothing more than a facade. According to official statistics published recently by the Ministry of Information, nine out of ten Iranians are not bothered by the elections.

PDV: Do you think that they are prepared to rally to the Pahlavi name which has been criticised all these years?

RP: One does not appreciate the height of a mountain unless you stand at its foot. You need some distance. History is the same thing. You need to take some distance to write. Iranians today do not have the same opinion of the Iran of my father or grandfather as the Iranians of 1979. Under their rule, the country made significant progress, materially, socially and intellectually. Of course, it was not perfect. Surly, there were mistakes. I do not deny it. But the situation in Iran then has nothing comparable to today. So, I carry the name of Pahlavi, but I have not inherited in the historic sense, the political methods of my father and my grandfather. I have my own ideas, my own vision.

PDV: After 25 years of living in exile, do you still feel Iranian?

RP: Iran is my country. That I live in Washington makes no difference. We are three million and a half Iranians living in exile, but we live in Iran every day. It is our passion. We have a key role to play in the future of our country. Among the 3.5 million exiles, we find captains of industry, directors of N.A.S.A space missions, doctors, heads of clinics, artists, writers, journalists. Our diaspora possesses a colossal fortune estimated at 600 billion dollars. It is an enormous potential which neighbouring countries like Afghanistan and Iraq do not possess.

PDV: Is it this Iranian community that finances your movement?

RP: The diaspora takes care of many costs, notably the media networks, such as the television and radios which broadcast from outside the country. But 95% of these funds are spent inside the country. These funds allow for concrete action, to assist those who want to organise demonstrations, to distribute pamphlets, or to buy a mobile telephone.

PDV: According to you the days of the Islamic republic are numbered?

RP: The fissures are getting bigger and bigger and it will fall apart by itself. We can push it over by launching a non-violent civil disobedience movement. I am encouraging this strategy among all those Iranians whom I am in direct contact. It does not matter to me if they are republicans or monarchists, of the right or of the left, we have to row all together to arrive upon the shores of democracy. The ideas that I have been articulating for many years is starting to have an important echo in Iran. Even among the heart of the Armed Forces, the Guardians of the Revolution and the Clergy.

PDV: How are you able to stay in touch with all these people?

RP: We have a network which thankfully allows us to communicate in all secrecy. And thanks to God, we live in the age of the Internet and satellite communication. This technology allows me to enter the most remote regions of Iran. I only need my personal computer and mobile telephone to dialogue with an Iranian. The Islamic regime may block the internet sites, interrupt the airwaves, but it can not cut off 50 million young Iranians who are fed up with being told what to wear and what to think. Their sole demand is to be allowed to live. They are confronted by terrible problems of drugs, prostitution, depression and suicide. Every year, 250,000 of them flee clandestinely from the country.

PDV: Recently, you met with the grandson of Ayatollah Khomeini, the sworn enemy of your father. Did you talk about these things to him?

RP: Not only did we talk, but we agreed 99%. It does not matter that he is the grandson of Khomeini and I the grandson of Reza Shah. We are of the same generation. We have lived through the same experiences, historically, politically and intellectually during these past 25 years. Logically, we came to the same conclusion. As long as this regime exists, we can never come out of this situation. Our only disagreement rests in the role that the West can play in the liberation process of our country. He believes in the necessity of external pressure, an American operation. I do not.

PDV: Why?

RP: The Iranian people do not need a military operation. On the contrary, they expect the international community to cease dealing with this regime. Two days ago, I secretly met here, in Paris, with young Iranians, who had travelled from the big cities. They had come specifically to meet with me. Their message was very clear: "Tell the media and the Western governments that they must halt giving this regime its legitimacy. When Prince Charles visits Bam, even as part of a humanitarian effort, fifteen days before the parliamentary elections, the regime's officials are ecstatic. They pose for pictures with delegation members, with smiles on their lips, and they snub the Iranian people." The West protests against the fact that certain candidates have been barred from standing at the elections, but that is not important. Even if Mr Khatami's brother is elected as deputy, that does not change anything. We must boycott the entire regime. We do not need anybody to liberate us, but we will never forget those who gave us a hand. What is the point of giving the Nobel Peace prize to Shirine Ebadi, whilst continuing to deal with the very regime that she is fighting against?

POINT DE VUE (No:2900)
Interview by Vincent Meylan
Photos by David Atlan
Translation: CK, London.
Iran va Jahan
stefania

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interview.

It's important that he says that he doesn't care who he talks to ..

This shows that he is truly democrat.

He doesn't pretend to be the king and seems much different from some aspects of his father's rule.

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
9karevatan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaaaaaaaaa

this is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Cool
Saman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a great interwiew.

Great work by Prince Reza Pahlavi. He's really being active now a days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: reza Reply with quote

Reza is the man - and I believe he will fight until Iran is free and afterwards to help unite and bring the country back to speed..
Iranian Boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great interview!

I would be really proud to have Reza Shah II and Yasemine Pahlavi as head of Iran.
This would not only give our country proud and respect all over the world, but also give us the feeling that Iran is a rich country (although in real not).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt that if he ran for election in the new government he would win, but I will vomit if this regime is replaced by a monarchy, constitutional or not.
9karevatan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iranian Boy wrote:
Great interview!

I would be really proud to have Reza Shah II and Yasemine Pahlavi as head of Iran.
This would not only give our country proud and respect all over the world, but also give us the feeling that Iran is a rich country (although in real not).

excuse me.......but i beleive he would be reza shah III

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see, he says he's a opposition member - yet he sits down with Hossein Khomenei. Interestingly Khomenei went back to Iran after his little AEI appearance, and had a nice meeting Khamenei.

I don't know about you, but generally when someone is advocating the overthrow of a government, they dont go and sit with them. Also, let's remember that Khomenei jr. advocated overhtrowing the current theocracy and replacing it with a new and improved theocracy. Pahlavi evidently doesn't have a problem with this, since there is only one thing they differ on.

Well one can't be surpised, clerics need religion, the same as monarchists do - to namely legitimize their rule.
farokhi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: kk Reply with quote

Hey Guest - go make love to Khamenei... .. don't trash a great leader in this forum!
9karevatan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would reza know that he would go back to iran........also i doubt he did...where did u hear that.......he is totally against the mullas regime and says they should fall
mikhanam
payande baadi IRANam!!!!!!!
Iranian Boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9karevatan wrote:
iran iranam iraaanam
ke az to daram in jaanam
janam fadayat
mikhanam

Good! In what channels have you heard this song?
What do you mean with reza Shah III? Reza Shah I was his grandfather, Reza Shah II is our king today.
redemption

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's up to Iranian people if they want Monarchy or not.. there are a lot of pluses and minuses either way!
Equality

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: kk Reply with quote

farokhi wrote:
Hey Guest - go make love to Khamenei... .. don't trash a great leader in this forum!

Are you an idiot, why do you want a monarchy? Pahlavi IS a great leader but a bad monarchy can be as bad as the theocracy. Let's make a true Iranian Republic were the power is in the hands of the people not in just a few powerful elite.
9karevatan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i belive reza pahlavi II died in 1981 so i think u are confused
mikhanam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: