[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> The Greatest Liberator
View previous topic :: View next topic  
9karevatan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: jews Reply with quote

i have read that he liberated many jews and brought them back to iran
Sourena

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no. Yes he liberated the jews imprisoned in Babylon when he invaded it. No he did not bring them back to Iran. He let them return to their holy country (Jeruselum) and even helped them in building the city and its temples.
9karevatan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o ic ic
thanks sourena!!!! Very Happy

well werent some jews in egypt also liberated by him??
Sourena

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about Egypt. I think all the Jews had left Egypt by then, but I could be wrong. For more detail see: http://www.zyworld.com/Pasargad/Rise.htm.
9karevatan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummmm
The page you were looking for is not available.
The owner may have withdrawn it while work is in progress so please check back later.

yea thas what it said when i clicked on it.....by the way....
i always read about a shah called xerxes....i could never find his equivalent in farsi....do u know by any chance?
Sourena

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xerxes "Khashayershah" in Farsi was the Shah of Persia. He invaded Greece with an army that Herodutus numbered at 5 million (probably not true, more reasonable estimate is 500,000 which was still huge). I'm sorry to say that his military campaign was not a success though.
see:
http://history.boisestate.edu/westciv/persian/13.htm
http://www.ualberta.ca/~csmackay/CLASS_110/Persian.Wars.html
http://www.metrum.org/perwars/

PS I hope these links work. You are right that last one doesn't work. I'll just paste that page into here:

In the victories of the Persians...

Just as Babylon was weakened by internal dissension, a new threat emerged on the scene of world history. Cyrus the Persian had managed to unify warring tribes and by 550 had conquered the Median Empire, With the Medes and Persians now united. Cyrus launched an ambitious campaign to expand his holdings to the west. In spite of a Babylonian alliance with Egypt, Cyrus drove around the northern edges of Babylonian territory and pushed through Asia Minor to the Aegean Sea, shifting those areas from Babylonian to Persian control. Cyrus then returned to campaign to the east and south, and within a few years left Babylon surrounded and helpless.

The end of Babylon came in no great battle, almost without a murmur. The Babylonians were so disaffected by the policies of Nabonidus that they had little will to fight. A Babylonian general, Gobryas, defected to the Persians, and began insurgency against Babylon. In a desperate attempt to rally support, Nabonidus attempted to reinstate the worship of Marduk, and brought the gods of the outlying provinces to Babylon to inspire the people. But the effort backfired, because it did nothing but further anger and demoralize the people from whom the gods had been taken. After an early engagement in which the Babylonians were soundly defeated, in 539 Gobryas took the city of Babylon without a fight. Cyrus was now in control of all of the former Babylonian Empire and unchallenged master of that part of the world. Within a year, he would control all of the Middle East and Egypt. When he conquered Babylon, he did so to cheers from the Jewish Community, who welcomed him as a liberator- he allowed the Jews to return to the promised Land. He showed great forbearance and respect towards the religious beliefs and cultural traditions of other races. These qualities earned him the respect and homage of all the people over whom he ruled. The victory over Babylonia expressed all the facets of the policy of conciliation which Cyrus had followed until then. He presented himself not as a conqueror, but a liberator and the legitimate successor to the crown. He took the title of "King of Babylon_ King of the Land". Cyrus had no thought of forcing conquered people into a single mould, and had the wisdom to leave unchanged the institution of each kingdom he attached to the Persian Crown. In 537 BC he allowed more than 40,000 Jews to leave Babylon and return to Palestine. This step was in line with his policy to bring peace to Mankind. A new wind was blowing from the east, carrying away the cries and humility of defeated and murdered victims, extinguishing the fires of sacked cities, and liberating nations from slavery. Cyrus was upright, a great leader of men, generous and benelovent. The Hellenes, whom he conquered regarded him as 'Law-giver' and the Jews as 'the annointed of the Lord'.

"I am Cyrus, King of the World. When I entered Babylon I did not allow anyone to terrorize the land ...... "

As Prof. Richard Frye of Harvard said (in The Heritage of Persia, p10-151):

"In the victories of the Persians... what was different was the new policy of reconciliation and together with this was the prime aim of Cyrus to establish a pax Achaemenica..... If one were to assess the achievements of the Achaemenid Persians, surely the concept of One World, .... the fusion of peoples and cultures in one 'Oecumen' was one of their important legacies"

Last edited by Sourena on Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Sourena

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also about Cyrus' freeing of the Jews:
This noble act is why Cyrus is one of the only Iranian to be in the Christian Bible. Cyrus is mentioned i think about 10 times in the Old Testament.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> The Greatest Liberator All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: