[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Famous Iranians Of Today and Tomorrow?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blank

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrus wrote:
blank wrote:
With all due respect, to the choices of the “Elite Iranian” on this thread. I feel that if you are going to put Amanpour as Elite/successful Iranian, then Shirin Ebadi needs to be added to this list, since both women have many characteristics in common. For instance, Amanpour tells everyone she is British (which as far as I am concerned suits her well); Ebadi tells everyone she is a Moslem woman. They both hate Bush and badmouth the US; they both are more concerned about the Guantanamo prisoners than the ones in the regime’s jail. They both “believe” a reformist regime does exist in Iran, which could turn Iran into a “democracy”!!!….. I can go on more, but I think it speaks for itself. Both of these women are disgrace to be put on the same page as Khayyam, Jamshid Ghajar, Firouz Naderi, and others.

You have good points. In this thread added Iranian high achievers like Amanpour who we might not agree with them politically however they are well respected in the News Media. Ebadi is not considered as high achievers and also she is a traitor.
We might need a rule in this thread that we consider the Iranian Elites who have not been a traitor.
Please if you can prove that Amanpour is a traitor and she is against Free Iran then I should remove her immediately. Currently I don’t have enough data to support that she is a traitor.

In terms of high achievers, well, you can say Ebadi won Noble Peace Prize, so that’s one ahead of Amanpour. I believe “traitor” is a subjective term, it is the degree in which one can harm a country….In my opinion Amanpour with her access to the media has a lot more power than Ebadi, yet, time after time she has lied about Iran, mislead the public, led people to believe “there is some sort of democracy in Iran”!! I believe the harm she has caused is a lot more than what Ebadi could have done. Because of her position “CNN Chief International Correspondent”; people are more persuaded when she says “the reformist are more democratic”, as oppose to Ebadi that everyone knows where she is coming from. Therefore, in my opinion, if traitor means a person who has caused more harm to his/her country and continues doing that, then Amanpour wins that contest. With one exception, she does not believe she is Iranian, thus, Iran is not her country and it doesn’t matter what she says…..the only problem is this site is insisting she is an elite Iranian!!?
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blank wrote:
cyrus wrote:
blank wrote:
With all due respect, to the choices of the “Elite Iranian” on this thread. I feel that if you are going to put Amanpour as Elite/successful Iranian, then Shirin Ebadi needs to be added to this list, since both women have many characteristics in common. For instance, Amanpour tells everyone she is British (which as far as I am concerned suits her well); Ebadi tells everyone she is a Moslem woman. They both hate Bush and badmouth the US; they both are more concerned about the Guantanamo prisoners than the ones in the regime’s jail. They both “believe” a reformist regime does exist in Iran, which could turn Iran into a “democracy”!!!….. I can go on more, but I think it speaks for itself. Both of these women are disgrace to be put on the same page as Khayyam, Jamshid Ghajar, Firouz Naderi, and others.

You have good points. In this thread added Iranian high achievers like Amanpour who we might not agree with them politically however they are well respected in the News Media. Ebadi is not considered as high achievers and also she is a traitor.
We might need a rule in this thread that we consider the Iranian Elites who have not been a traitor.
Please if you can prove that Amanpour is a traitor and she is against Free Iran then I should remove her immediately. Currently I don’t have enough data to support that she is a traitor.

In terms of high achievers, well, you can say Ebadi won Noble Peace Prize, so that’s one ahead of Amanpour. I believe “traitor” is a subjective term, it is the degree in which one can harm a country….In my opinion Amanpour with her access to the media has a lot more power than Ebadi, yet, time after time she has lied about Iran, mislead the public, led people to believe “there is some sort of democracy in Iran”!! I believe the harm she has caused is a lot more than what Ebadi could have done. Because of her position “CNN Chief International Correspondent”; people are more persuaded when she says “the reformist are more democratic”, as oppose to Ebadi that everyone knows where she is coming from. Therefore, in my opinion, if traitor means a person who has caused more harm to his/her country and continues doing that, then Amanpour wins that contest. With one exception, she does not believe she is Iranian, thus, Iran is not her country and it doesn’t matter what she says…..the only problem is this site is insisting she is an elite Iranian!!?

Dear Blank,
Thank you for your comments.

Quote:
the only problem is this site is insisting she is an elite Iranian!

For clarification 'Elite' is removed from the title of this thread and replaced with Famous Iranians.

Quote:
With one exception, she does not believe she is Iranian, thus, Iran is not her country and it doesn’t matter what she says…..

Due to the fact that she is Iranian by birth and her father is Iranian therefore she can be considered as Iranian-British who has sympathy with British government.

Quote:
Therefore, in my opinion, if traitor means a person who has caused more harm to his/her country and continues doing that

I would like to see other ActivistChat members opinion regarding her before I remove her from this thread.
With the following dictionary definition for
"trai·tor
One who betrays one's country, a cause, or a trust, especially one who commits treason."
she might not be considered as traitor.
I consider the following people as traitors:
Khomeni, Khameni, Rafsanjani, Khatami, Bazargan, Amadinejad, Ebadi .....
AmirN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like to see other ActivistChat members opinion regarding her before I remove her from this thread.

I have followed this thread, but refrained from posting for two reasons:

1. It initially appeared as an educational / informational post of Cyrus; not a discussional one. But since information has turned to discussion, I will now give my opinion.
2. This very fine thread was started by Cyrus, and obviously Cyrus put a very large effort and time into it. Out of respect for Cyrus’ efforts, I did not wish to criticize any aspect of it. But since Cyrus has placed the above invitation, I will now give my opinion.

The opinion of course is only in regards to Amanpour, and no-one else in this thread.

First and foremost, Amanpour is an idiot, because once she said something to the effect of the revolution being a positive thing, since it gave many the opportunity to leave Iran and make something bigger of themselves. She cited herself as an example, having gone to the west and becoming a successful journalist. What a retard!

Quote:
Due to the fact that she is Iranian by birth and her father is Iranian therefore she can be considered as Iranian-British who has sympathy with British government.

This statement is usually correct, generally speaking. But birth and heritage are only one part of the equation when it comes to nationality. One of the most important factors that determine nationality is a person’s heart, and his or her willful choice.

If one is not born of Iranian parents and not on Iranian soil, but immigrates to Iran and falls in love with it, its people, its culture, etc (and I’m not talking about the current Iran) and decides to embrace it as her own and swears allegiance to it, then she is Iranian through and through. The same is true with America, England, or any other country.

Now, I’ll even accept someone who maintains dual citizenship and claims inheritance to both nations, such as you claim with her being considered Iranian-British. I consider myself as such a person, one who claims both Iran and America as his nation (though I admit that America comes a very close second to me).

However, I am not aware of any instance whereby Amanpour has embraced any aspect of her Iranian heritage. To my knowledge, she has never identified herself as Iranian, or Iranian-British. She has always unmistakably identified herself as British and only British. I obviously don’t know her personally, but at least publicly it appears that she has renounced everything Iranian. Actually, that’s okay. I am not critical of her for doing so; that’s her choice, and we are all free to choose our nationality (usually). I think that we actually ought to respect her wishes, since she does not want to be considered Iranian.

I do find it interesting, though, that for someone who denies her ancestry she does focus her stories on the Middle East. I suppose that this is a unique niche she has found in the journalism world, and is now reaping the benefits. It may also explain why she has kept the name Amanpour.

For someone who denies any association with Iran, she sure does linger around it quite a bit. She is like a fly that loiters around a dead corpse, hoping to moisten its lips.

Quote:
"trai•tor
One who betrays one's country, a cause, or a trust, especially one who commits treason."

I agree with this statement. I don’t think she is a traitor. But the reason I think that she is not a traitor is because of my explanation above. In order for her to be a traitor to Iran, she has to be an Iranian. Since she is not Iranian, she cannot possibly be a traitor.

In one sense, one may consider Khomeini, Khamenei, Rafsanjani, Khatami, Amadinejad to be traitors, since they pretend(ed) to be Iranian yet betrayed Iran. However, I actually don’t consider these scumbags to be traitors. They actually are not Iranians, but foreign Taazis with allegiance only to their Swiss bank accounts and places like the West Bank, Mecca, Medina, Karbala, Najaf, and other such hell holes. They are (were) foreign occupiers of Iran. Furthermore, they never betrayed the trust of the Iranian people, because that trust was never given to them. They did not come to power from legitimate democratic means, but by ruse, force, chaos, and intimidation.

Back to Amanpour. I see two independent reasons why she should not be on this thread:

1. She is not Iranian
2. She is an idiot.

Even if reason 1 was not true, reason 2 should keep her out. To further clarify this thread, it is assumed that this thread commemorates “Famous Iranians….who are not idiots.” The last phrase is assumed, and there is obviously no need to put it in the title.

Since you inquired about other members’ opinions, I gave mine. But let’s remember that this thread was started by and belongs to Cyrus. The decision is his, and I’ll respect it regardless.

Furthermore, if you decide to remove Amanpour, these discussions may afterwards appear irrelevant to the thread (or not), in which case you may consider deleting our discussions here (if blank also agrees). You certainly have my permission to delete my post here after you make your decision, whether you keep Amanpour or not.
I am Dariush the Great King, King of Kings, King of countries containing all kinds of men, King in this great earth far and wide, son of Hystaspes, an Achaemenian, a Persian, son of a Persian, an Aryan, having Aryan lineage

Naqshe Rostam
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmirN wrote:
Quote:

I have followed this thread, but refrained from posting for two reasons:

1. It initially appeared as an educational / informational post of Cyrus; not a discussional one. But since information has turned to discussion, I will now give my opinion.
2. This very fine thread was started by Cyrus, and obviously Cyrus put a very large effort and time into it. Out of respect for Cyrus’ efforts, I did not wish to criticize any aspect of it. But since Cyrus has placed the above invitation, I will now give my opinion.

The opinion of course is only in regards to Amanpour, and no-one else in this thread.

First and foremost, Amanpour is an idiot, because once she said something to the effect of the revolution being a positive thing, since it gave many the opportunity to leave Iran and make something bigger of themselves. She cited herself as an example, having gone to the west and becoming a successful journalist. What a retard!

Quote:

This statement is usually correct, generally speaking. But birth and heritage are only one part of the equation when it comes to nationality. One of the most important factors that determine nationality is a person’s heart, and his or her willful choice.

If one is not born of Iranian parents and not on Iranian soil, but immigrates to Iran and falls in love with it, its people, its culture, etc (and I’m not talking about the current Iran) and decides to embrace it as her own and swears allegiance to it, then she is Iranian through and through. The same is true with America, England, or any other country.

Now, I’ll even accept someone who maintains dual citizenship and claims inheritance to both nations, such as you claim with her being considered Iranian-British. I consider myself as such a person, one who claims both Iran and America as his nation (though I admit that America comes a very close second to me).

However, I am not aware of any instance whereby Amanpour has embraced any aspect of her Iranian heritage. To my knowledge, she has never identified herself as Iranian, or Iranian-British. She has always unmistakably identified herself as British and only British. I obviously don’t know her personally, but at least publicly it appears that she has renounced everything Iranian. Actually, that’s okay. I am not critical of her for doing so; that’s her choice, and we are all free to choose our nationality (usually). I think that we actually ought to respect her wishes, since she does not want to be considered Iranian.

I do find it interesting, though, that for someone who denies her ancestry she does focus her stories on the Middle East. I suppose that this is a unique niche she has found in the journalism world, and is now reaping the benefits. It may also explain why she has kept the name Amanpour.

For someone who denies any association with Iran, she sure does linger around it quite a bit. She is like a fly that loiters around a dead corpse, hoping to moisten its lips.

Quote:
"trai•tor

I agree with this statement. I don’t think she is a traitor. But the reason I think that she is not a traitor is because of my explanation above. In order for her to be a traitor to Iran, she has to be an Iranian. Since she is not Iranian, she cannot possibly be a traitor.

In one sense, one may consider Khomeini, Khamenei, Rafsanjani, Khatami, Amadinejad to be traitors, since they pretend(ed) to be Iranian yet betrayed Iran. However, I actually don’t consider these scumbags to be traitors. They actually are not Iranians, but foreign Taazis with allegiance only to their Swiss bank accounts and places like the West Bank, Mecca, Medina, Karbala, Najaf, and other such hell holes. They are (were) foreign occupiers of Iran. Furthermore, they never betrayed the trust of the Iranian people, because that trust was never given to them. They did not come to power from legitimate democratic means, but by ruse, force, chaos, and intimidation.

Back to Amanpour. I see two independent reasons why she should not be on this thread:

1. She is not Iranian
2. She is an idiot.

Even if reason 1 was not true, reason 2 should keep her out. To further clarify this thread, it is assumed that this thread commemorates “Famous Iranians….who are not idiots.” The last phrase is assumed, and there is obviously no need to put it in the title.

Since you inquired about other members’ opinions, I gave mine. But let’s remember that this thread was started by and belongs to Cyrus. The decision is his, and I’ll respect it regardless.

Furthermore, if you decide to remove Amanpour, these discussions may afterwards appear irrelevant to the thread (or not), in which case you may consider deleting our discussions here (if blank also agrees). You certainly have my permission to delete my post here after you make your decision, whether you keep Amanpour or not.

Dear Amir and Blank,
Thank you for your comments. Amanpour has been removed from this thread based on strong objections and valid points by both of you.

Regards,
Cyrus
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Remember This Name, One Nazanin for Another Reply with quote

cyrus wrote:
Remember This Name, One Nazanin for Another

April 06, 2006
National Review Online
Q&A by Kathryn Jean Lopez

http://www.nationalreview.com/interrogatory/qa200604060620.asp

Nazanin Afshin-Jam is not just another pretty face. This former Miss World Canada — 2003 runner-up to the Miss World pageant — who will have her first album out this summer, has much more on her mind than her music and her cosmetics bag. Nazanin is a native of Iran. She recently heard about a young woman — with whom she shares both a nativeland and a name — who has been sentenced to death in Iran for killing a man in self-defense when she and her niece were being assaulted (the men were trying to rape them). Nazanin has since adopted the cause of her namesake.

Nazanin recently spoke to National Review Online editor Kathryn Lopez about young Nazanin — who Lopez wrote about here — and the plight of the Iranian people, as well as Ms. Afshin-Jam's career and Persian roots.

Kathryn Jean Lopez: Why are you worrying yourself with this Iranian girl, Nazanin's, fate?

Nazanin: When I first heard about Nazanin I was horrified. I instinctively thought, “It could have been me”. If three men tried to rape my 16-year-old niece and me and I had possession of a knife I would have defended myself in the same way. The only difference is that I thankfully live in a country that understands JUSTICE. I feel terrible that a victim of attempted rape is being treated as a first rate criminal.

I do not only worry about the case of Nazanin, since she represents a larger problem. She is just one of many people being wrongfully tried in Iran, Pakistan, and around the world. Nazanin’s case is particularly concerning because Iran is a state party to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) and the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) and is therefore under obligation NOT to impose the death penalty on those under the age of 18. Nevertheless, Amnesty International has recorded 18 executions of child offenders in Iran since 1990. In 2005 alone, at least eight executions of child offenders were recorded. Nazanin was 17 years old at the time of commission of the offense and therefore Iran is in breach. If Iran is in breach of this treaty could they do the same for other treaties particularly those in relation to nuclear energy?

Lopez: Why did your family leave Iran?

Nazanin: We left to escape political persecution due to the Revolution. We could not tolerate the brutally of the regime and political, social and economic instability, not to mention a judicial system based on sharia law that spells out that a woman’s life is worth half that of a man’s

Nazanin: Why was your father tortured?

Lopez: The Islamic Fundamentalists forbid music and mingling between men and women. My father was the General Manager of the Sheraton Hotel in Iran, so he allowed for these to take place. They shaved his head, brutally lashed and tortured him until he could no longer stand. He was to be put before a firing squad, but by miraculous intervention through a mutual acquaintance he was released. He almost died due to his injuries but thank God he is with us today. He was one among thousands and thousands to be subject to such torture.

Lopez: Do you remember anything about Iran?

Nazanin: I left when I was only one, so unfortunately, the only memories I have are from pictures in my photo album.

Lopez: Do you ever think about what your life would be like if your family stayed there?

Nazanin: All the time. This is why I am so dedicated to helping those stuck in such a repressive regime.

Lopez: Does your family keep in touch with people in Iran still? If so what do they say about the situation there — politically, culturally?

Nazanin: People in Iran are afraid that their newly elected President Ahmadinejad is jeopardizing the quality of life of the Iranian people through his abuse of power and derogatory remarks on the international stage. They fear economic sanctions and/or war by the West. In other words they fear a repeat of Iraq on Iran.

Lopez: Have you ever been back? Do you hope to go back?

Nazanin: I have never been back; however my dream is to one day be able to visit my homeland. It would be such an honor to visit a country with such an ancient and rich culture. I think I will wait until things calm down in the region before packing any bags.

Lopez: You do some singing in Persian, don’t you? Do Iranians ever get to hear your music?

Nazanin: Most of my music is in English; however I have one song in French, others with Spanish influence and one traditional Persian song. My song “Someday: the revolution song” is in English but speaks of Iran. I have samples of my music on my website, www.nazanin.ca and my album will be out for worldwide release in July.

Lopez: What’s the message of “Someday”?

Nazanin: Generally, “Someday” is a song of hope. It speaks to those who have had to change their life due to political or social injustices. It speaks about staying strong, rising above and driving forward to free oneself from the shackles that bind.

Specifically, I sing to the oppressed youth of Iran — who have been witness to a “regressive revolution” — not to give up because “someday we will find a way.”
Full lyrics can be found next to where my music plays on my website.

Lopez: Where can people go to hear more of your music?

Nazanin: www.nazanin.ca
or
www.myspace.com/nazaninmusic

Lopez: What kinds of doors are opened to a Miss World Canada — to pursue political issues, for instance?

Nazanin: Having won the Miss World Canada title and having come runner up at Miss World in a television broadcast of over 2.2 billion people has certainly helped in giving me a platform to speak on issues close to my heart. During my reign I had the opportunity to travel the world and be a spokesperson for various charities; naturally I gained a lot of contacts which is now helping me gain momentum in the efforts to help save young Nazanin and in pursuing other humanitarian issues.

Lopez: I’m guessing Iran doesn’t participate in Miss World, right?

Nazanin: No, “the Islamic Republic of Iran” does not participate in Miss World. During my year I felt like I was a direct ambassador of Canada and an indirect ambassador of Iran.

Lopez: Have you been able to talk to anyone about Nazanin’s case?

Nazanin: Yes, I am getting support from people in my local community including Negar Azmudeh — an immigration lawyer that focuses on human rights issues. We are in the process of trying to get a hold of young Nazanin’s lawyer in Iran to get more details about the case and ask them what is needed to help save her life.

In the meantime we have started a petition.

Amnesty International will be getting back to me in a few days about the next steps of action.

Once we have all the necessary information we will be forming coalitions with various Women’s Rights groups and Human Rights NGOs and compassionate Islamic groups to move forward. We will also be contacting the media.

Lopez: What is your hope for women like Nazanin and for the Iranian people in general?

Nazanin: I hope that women in the Middle East will be respected and recognized as equals. Iran is a strong country with a highly educated population; the only thing missing is opportunity. Iranians are recognized at the top of their schools and fields worldwide. My hope is for Iranians (and all citizens of the world) to have access to capabilities to follow all their dreams without fear of persecution. I hope Iran realizes its full potential soon under a free and democratic system.

cyrus wrote:
cyrus wrote:

Iran : A 17 year old girl is sentenced to death by hanging.
2006/01/08

Source: http://www.faithfreedom.org/Announcement/601081013.htm

A Plea For Support & PROTEST: Rise Up For Defense Of Brave 17-year-old Iranian girl Sentenced to Death By Islamist Mullah Court for Defending Herself Against Three Islamist Rapists and Support Islamist Regime Change NOW
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: IRANIAN MARKS 100TH BIRTHDAY Reply with quote

IRANIAN MARKS 100TH BIRTHDAY Dr. Ghaffari's Next High Achievement

BY SHABNAM REZAEI
Source:
http://www.persianmirror.com/Article_det.cfm?id=1535&getArticleCategory=59&getArticleSubCategory=230

Dr. Abolghassem Ghaffari, who helped put man on the moon as a mathematician with the U.S. Space Agency, marked his 100th birthday in Los Angeles on June 15th, 2007.

Ghaffari was born in Tehran. He was educated at the Darolfonoun School before going to France in 1929 with a full scholarship to study mathematics and physics at Nancy University. He received his doctorate from the Sorbonne. In 1936 he worked at the Paris Observatory on celestial mechanics, the foundation of his later work calculating how much power was needed to get a rocket into orbit around the moon without overshooting.

Ghaffari returned to Iran in 1937 to teach at the University of Tehran. He was drafted into military service from 1938 to 1941 where he directed field work leveling parts of northern Tehran to prepare it for the army.

In 1950, by invitation of Harvard University and as a Fulbright Scholar, he worked as a research associate to lecture on Differential Equations and to continue his research on Gas Dynamics. Dr. Ghaffari and Dr. Mohsen Hashrudi, were among the first Iranians to become Fulbright Scholars. Hashrudi's area of study was also mathematics at Harvard at the same time Ghaffari was there.

After the war, he frequently traveled to Britain and the United States on research. In the early 1950s, the proud Iranian worked alongside Albert Einstein in Princeton's Institute For Advanced Study on the Unified Field Theory of Gravitation and Electromagnetism. Einstein was very curious about Iran and asked Ghaffari, 'so how did Persia become Iran?'

Robert Oppenheimer was director of the Institute at the time and befriended Ghaffari. The first time Ghaffari met Oppenheimer, when finding out that Ghaffari was Iranian asked him if he knew Dr. Kamal Genab, who was a physics student of Oppenheimer's at Cal Tech. Ghaffari was invited to the White House when President Johnson gave Oppenheimer the Enrico Fermi Award in 1963. President Kennedy was supposed to have given the award to Oppenheimer, but he was assassinated the week before the ceremony. 'I felt pity for Dr. Oppenheimer, because his guilt and smoking had taken a real toll on him over the years. He was sick (with cancer) and was hobbling around with a cane. I could feel the end was near,' Ghaffari said. Oppenheimer died of throat cancer four years later at the age of 62.

In 1956, Ghaffari moved permanently to the United States to take a position with the U.S. National Bureau of Standards in the mathematics division. Part of his work there involved calculations of the motion of artificial earth satellites.

In 1962, the Bureau of Standards granted Ghaffari permission to start working at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) as a part-time consultant for the Goddard Space Flight Center. He was the first Iranian to work for NASA. In 1964, three years into the manned space program and when his projects were finished at the Bureau, he became a full-time staff scientist at NASA, where he worked on Apollo missions 11 and 12. His chief responsibility was to determine out how to get a rocket to the moon. He had to account for the gravity of the earth and the gravity of the moon and calculate how many and how powerful mid-course corrections would be required to place a rocket into orbit around the moon. An error would send the rocket crashing into the moon or soaring passed it into deep space. For the manned space program, he also had to get the rocket back again.

Ghaffari and his colleagues on the Apollo missions were invited to the White House by President Nixon in 1969, where they were given medals for their service on Apollo 11. At the event, footage of the successful landing was aired, a reporter was there and asked Ghaffari, 'Did this really happen or was this shot in Texas?' Ghaffari was too shocked at his comment to respond. 'I never got around to asking him what media outlet he worked for,' Ghaffari said.

Ghaffari was awarded in recognition of his exceptional contributions to Aerospace education during the first decade of space exploration in 1970 by NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center.

He retired from NASA in 1972, three years after the Apollo program placed the first men on the moon and got them back safely.

In 1998, Ghaffari was asked by the Millenium Committee what his prediction was for the biggest scientific event of the millenium. Ghaffari responded, 'If NASA's budget doesn't get cut, a manned mission to Mars will occur by 2010.'

Ghaffari was awarded the distinguished scholar award for outstanding achievement in the advancement of science by the Association of Professors and Scholars of Iranian Heritage (APSIH) in 2005.

Ghaffari's mind is very lucid and in much better condition than his body. When asked about how it feels to be 100, he said, 'I'm not happy, because I can't work in an office anymore. I do get to do some independent research at home though.'

Beverly Hills mayor Jimmy Delshad will be giving Ghaffari a special certificate honoring his birthday from the city of Beverly Hills. Ghaffari plans to mark his 100th birthday at home with his wife and daughters.

Happy Birthday Dr. Ghaffari!

For more info on Dr. Ghaffari and his achievements, please go to www.ghaffaris.com.

Photos 1 & 2: Dr. Abolghassem Ghaffari

Photo 3: Dr. Ghaffari was honored at the APSIH event (left to right): Dr. Najmedin Meshkati, Dr. Ghaffari (seated), Dr. Jamal Abedi, professor of Education at UCLA, and Dr. Firouz Naderi of JPL, who headed the U.S. Mars exploration program.

Photo 4: Dr. Abolghassem Ghaffari today at 100

Write a Letter to the Editor or Send an email to this author

More Engineering Articles
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Parsi-Iranian-Indian Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw passes away Reply with quote

In Memory Of Great Parsi-Iranian-Indian Who Loved His Motherland More Than Many ... Field Marshal Of India Sam Hormouz Manekshaw 1914-2008

1) Must Watch Video Bio : Field Marshall Sam Hormusji Framji Jamshedji Manekshaw

2) Must Watch Video : Field Marshal Manekshaw dies

3) Must Watch Video : Saluting Sam Bahadur

Quote:

Thursday, June 26, 2008
Field Marshal Sam Hormouz Manekshaw passes away

http://rajeev2004.blogspot.com/2008/06/field-marshal-sam-manekshaw-passes-away.html

The man who gave independent India its finest hour in the past 60 years, passes away. An Officer, Gentleman and a War Hero, he displayed guts not only on the battlefield in WWII, but also had the cajones to stand upto the politicians and protect his own turf. Here's what he told Indira Gandhi on one occasion,

"you mind your own business and I'll mind mine. You kiss your own sweetheart and I'll kiss mine. I don't interfere politically as long as nobody interferes with me in the army."

Among many other things, he had once mentioned to Indira Gandhi with tongue firmly planted on his cheek, that had her Dad not sidelined him, but made him the Indian Army Chief in 1962, India would never have been defeated or humiliated by China.

On being belatedly drafted to fight China in the North-East in 1962, he addressed a group of dejected officers in what was probably the shortest briefing ever, anywhere in the world. His one line address shown below had the most bang for the buck.

‘Gentlemen, I have arrived! There will be no more withdrawals in 4 Corps, thank you;'

Havadarane Pan Iranism wrote:

Dear friends,
Here is a heart-warming story about Field Marshal Sam Hormouz Manekshah of India. He was only one of the two Field Marshals in the history of India. Parsi of India love Iran more than Iranians do.
Regards,
Shahin

http://activistchat.com/FieldMarshalOfIndia.doc

Quote:

Field Marshal Manekshaw Passes Away

Date Submitted: Thu Jul 03, 2008

http://www.indiajournal.com/pages/event.php?id=3773

WELLINGTON, TAMIL NADU - India’s former army chief Sam Manekshaw, considered one of the country’s greatest war heroes whose victory over Pakistan in 1971 helped create Bangladesh, died here on June 27. He was 94.

Manekshaw fought for the British forces in the Second World War in Burma (now Myanmar), where he survived serious injuries while battling Japanese forces as a young captain.

His military career spanned four decades and through five wars and he was conferred the highest rank of “Field Marshal” of India’s army.
He was considered a master tactician and was honored for crafting the country’s victory in the 1971 war with Pakistan.

“He was also one of the most decorated officers of the Indian Army,” A.K. Antony, India’s Defense Minister said in a statement.“In his demise, the nation has lost a great soldier, a true patriot and a noble son.”

Manekshaw, who died at Wellington Military Hospital, was buried on June 28 beside the grave of his wife Siloo Bode at Udhagamandalam as per his wish.

He was accorded a state funeral by the Center. Union Minister of State for Defense, Pallam Raju, represented the Central government at the funeral. Vice Chief of Army staff Lt. General M.L. Naidu also attended the funeral.

Tamil Nadu government announced a day’s official mourning on June 28.

Quote:

Field Marshall SHFJ Manekshaw turned 93
Wednesday 4 April 2007
Field Marshall SHFJ Manekshaw turned 93 on Monday. President Dr A P J Abdul Kalam, Chief of the Army Staff Gen J J Singh, Commandant of the DSSC and Wellington Lt Gen B J Gupta greeted him on the occasion.

Manekshaw
With Lt General Sartaj Singh, GOC 15 Corps, shares a joke with a jawan.In a long career spanning nearly four decades, Field Marshal Manekshaw rose to be the Chief of Staff of the Indian Army in 1969 and under his command, Indian forces concluded a victorious campaign during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.

Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw is the first of only two Indian military officers to hold the highest rank of Field Marshal of the Indian Army (the other being Field Marshal Kodandera Madappa Cariappa). His distinguished military career has spanned four decades and through five wars, including World War II.

Early life and education
Manekshaw was born in Amritsar, Punjab to Indian Parsi parents. After completing his schooling in Amritsar and Sherwood College (Nainital), he joined the first batch of 40 cadets at Indian military academy, Dehra Dun on 1st October 1932. He passed out of the IMA in December 1934 and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Indian Army. He held several regimental assignments and was first attached to the Royal Scots and later to the 4/12 Frontier Force Regiment.

Military career
Manekshaw’s military career spanned four decades, from the British era and World War II, to the three wars against China and Pakistan after India’s independence in 1947.

World War II
During World War II, Manekshaw saw action in the Burma campaign on Sittang River as a Captain with the 4/12 Frontier Force Regiment and has the rare distinction of being honoured for his bravery on the battle front itself. During World War II, he was leading a counter-offensive against the invading Japanese Army in Burma. During the course of the offensive he was hit by a burst of LMG bullets and was severely wounded in the stomach. Major General D.T. Cowan spotted Manekshaw holding on to life and was aware of his valour in face of stiff resistance from the Japanese. Fearing the worst, Major General Cowan quickly pinned his own Military Cross ribbon on to Manekshaw saying: «A dead person cannot be awarded a Military Cross».

Higher Commands and Offices
Having recovered from those near-fatal wounds in Burma, Manekshaw went for a course at Staff College, Quetta and later also served there as an instructor before being sent to join 12 Frontier Force Rifles in Burma under General (later Field Marshal) Slim’s 14th Army. He was once again involved in a fierce battle with the Japanese, and was wounded for a second time. Towards the close of World War II, Manekshaw was sent as Staff Officer to General Daisy in Indo-China where, after the Japanese surrender, he helped rehabilitate over 10,000 POWs. He, then, went on a six-month lecture tour to Australia in 1946, and after his return served as a First Grade Staff Officer in the Military Operations Directorate.

Manekshaw showed acumen for planning and administration while handling the issues related to Partition in 1947, and later put to use his battle skills during the 1947-48 Jammu & Kashmir Operations. After command of an Infantry Brigade, he was posted as the Commandant of the Infantry School and also became the Colonel of 8 Gorkha Rifles (which became his new regimental home, since his original parent regiment The 12th Frontier Force Regiment went on to join the new Pakistan Army at partition ) and 61 Cavalry. He commanded a Division in Jammu & Kashmir and a Corps in the North East, with a tenure as Commandant of Defence Services Staff College (DSSC) in between. As GOC-in-C Eastern Command, he handled the tricky problem of insurgency in Nagaland and the grateful nation honoured him with a Padma Bhushan in 1968.

Army Chief: The War of 1971
Manekshaw became the 8th Chief of Army Staff when he succeeded General Kumaramangalam on 7 June 1969. His years of military experience were soon put to the test as thousands of refugees from the erstwhile East Pakistan started crossing over to India as a result of oppression from West Pakistan. The volatile situation erupted into a full-scale war in December 1971.

During this Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, Manekshaw showed uncommon ability to motivate the forces, coupling it with a mature war strategy. The war ended with Pakistan’s unconditional surrender, and the formation of Bangladesh. More than 45,000 Pakistani soldiers and 45,000 civilian personnel were taken as POWs. He masterminded the rout of the Pakistan Army in one of the quickest victories in the recent military history. This led to the Shimla Agreement which opened the door to the creation of the nation of Bangladesh as separate from Pakistan.

Honour and Retirement
For his distinguished service to the nation, the President of India awarded him a Padma Vibhushan in 1972 and conferred upon him the rank of Field Marshal on 1st January 1973. Manekshaw became the first of the only two Indian Generals to be awarded this prestigious honorary rank other being the late Field Marshal Kodandera Madappa Cariappa. Manekshaw retired a fortnight later (although technically Field Marshalls of the Indian Army never retire because the rank is conferred for life), on 15 January 1973, after completing nearly four decades of military service.

Following his retirement from the Indian Army, Manekshaw has successfully served as a director of numerous companies.

Quote:
Top Iranian-Parsi-Indian Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw passes away
27 Jun 2008, 0128 hrs IST,TIMESOFINDIA.COM

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Field_Marshal_Sam_Manekshaw_passes_away/articleshow/3167823.cms

WELLINGTON (TN): Former Army Chief Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw passed away at Military Hospital in Wellington, the Defence Ministry said on Friday. ( Watch )

The Padma Vibhushan and Military Cross awardee, who was admitted in the hospital for some time for "progressive lung disease", had slipped into a coma earlier in the day and the end came just after midnight at 00:30 am, the Defence Ministry said in a statement.

Manekshaw, who had led India to victory in the 1971 Indo-Pak war, had developed "acute broncho pneumonia" with associated complications and his condition had been serious for the past four days.

Manekshaw assumed charge of the Indian Army, as the 8th Chief of Army Staff, on June 07, 1969. Born in Amritsar, Punjab in April 1914, he completed his schooling in Amritsar and Sherwood College, Nainital. He then joined the first batch of 40 cadets at Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehra Dun on 01 October 1932. He passed out of the IMA in December 1934 and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Indian Army. He held several regimental assignments and was first attached to the Royal Scouts and later to the 12 Frontier Force Rifles.

Manekshaw succeeded General Kumaramangalam as Chief of Army Staff (COAS) in June 1969.

For his selfless service to the nation, he was awarded the Padma Vibhushan in 1972 and was conferred with the honorary rank of Field Marshal in January 1973. He retired a fortnight later on 15 January 1973, after completing nearly four decades of military service.

thaindian wrote:

Are We Indians a race of petty and jealous people?

July 8th, 2008 - 7:22 pm ICT by ANI - Email This Post

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/india-news/are-we-indians-a-race-of-petty-and-jealous-people_10069183.html

By Prem Prakash
London: The manner in which the nation gave a send off to its most brilliant soldier son, Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw puts us all in shame. Here was a man who secured the biggest surrender post World War II; here was a man who restored the reputation and health of the Indian Army from the mauling it got at the hands of Chinese in 1962; here was a man who served his country well securing her defences.
Field Marshal Manekshaw should have been given a state funeral of which each Indian should have felt proud. It should have been the longest ceremonial procession with the body carried on a gun carriage, not pulled by one Gun, but by scores of them with Gurkha troops leading and following the march with all other formations represented. Those who bungled cannot be forgiven.
The excuse being trotted out is that the Field Marshals post did not have a place in the Warrant of Precedence. Shame on those who are doling out this excuse. Will the Prime Minister and his entire cabinet offer an apology to the nation for this grave insult inflicted not just on the departed soul, but on the nation itself? Were they not aware that come one day-the Field Marshal would depart. Why was no thought given to this and no advance preparations made? He had been lying ill for a fairly long time. His dues of salary since he was made Field Marshal thirty years ago, were paid to him on his sick bed only as few months ago. No explanation or apology was given for that lapse either.
If we journalists can keep updating the obituaries of these so called political VIPs, there is no reason to forgive them or the bureaucrats who fail in their duty to prepare for such eventualities. Must we only rely on the system of ceremonials and Warrants of Precedence left behind for us by the British rulers?
There was no independent India then, or else those bureaucrats would have certainly applied themselves and prepared a befitting ceremonial for such an eventuality.
This brings me to the question: Are we Indians a race of petty people who are very jealous of the successful amongst us? I would like to be corrected if I am wrong in my belief. Indias long history is a witness to this in as much as her epics. Each time the country or any of its myriad kingdoms of the past fell, it was invariably a jealous hand that guided the enemies from within to pull us down.
In the epic Ramayana, Lord Rama goes into fourteen years exile just because one of the queens of his father did not like the idea of him succeeding to the throne. Was this not extreme jealousy on the part of Queen Kaikeyi? The hatred that Duryodhana personifies in the Mahabharata is yet another instance of our cultural mores being deep rooted in pettiness?
Is there no way out of all this? Will we as a race never learn to say well done to people who do well and rejoice with them? Wherever you turn, you only hear of the strange complaints of office politics which in fact is nothing more than each guy working against the other to pull him or her down.
There is a classic story of Indian crabs in a bottle. One of these is trying to reach the top of the bottle. People around get worried in case the crabs get out and start crawling in the room. No way, said someone — for these are Indian crabs-each is pulling the other down and not letting it go up. Sure enough what looked like an effort to move up was in fact crabs pulling each other down.
Look around and see the state of our general life around today. Two of Indias largest industrial houses are in battle because neither likes the other to grow for very personal reasons. It makes little difference to them if in the process the nation becomes a laughing stock abroad.
On a more serious note, look at the state of our Parliamentary democracy. Our multi party system is really not that it is today no more than few families or coteries controlling each political party. What we have is a sham multi party democracy. Those who own and control these parties will never permit a genuine leader, a visionary to move up and lead a party. This pettiness towards each other and extreme jealousy pulls India down. Any organisation or area where talent is encouraged, we notice prospers and blooms. Our agricultural research establishments are in poor shape because there are one too many reports of office politics wherein the supervising scientists want all the credit for the work done by others. Space science seems to be doing well for ISRO is said to encourage talent and has a culture for that.
The civil services and the armed forces that the British left behind were said to be talent based. This cannot be said of the civil service of today. The politicians have manipulated it to the extent that, today, it seems each civil servant lives for his own self, and not for the nation, even though the contract for the service is with the President of India.
As for the armed forces, blessed as they are with some highly patriotic people, the rot will set in if politicians and civil servants are allowed to mess around with them. We need to do a lot more to ensure that our armed forces remain the beacon of unity and competence in a sea of pettiness and jealousy. Whether by special dispensation or otherwise, the armed forces need to be insulated from the petty civil servants, who are today no more than the errand boys of the politicians.
Thus, shocked and angry as most of us Indians are at the manner in which Indias establishment treated Field Marshal Manekshaw in death, the problem lies at the very root of our culture as a people. Will Indians be ever able to rise above self and rejoice in the success of other fellow Indians? That alone will lead to greater success of India. (ANI.)

Quote:
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Brilliant Iranian-American Mind Nima Arkani-Hamed Reply with quote

Young Brilliant Iranian-American Mind Nima Arkani-Hamed Is Our Generation Of Albert Einstein and Khayyam

Nima Arkani-Hamed, a leading theoretical physicist, thinks the universe has at least 11 dimensions.

This magnet at the Large Hadron Collider may help physicists explore new properties of nature.

Must Watch Video Lecture Fundamental Physics in 2010 By Iranian-American Mind Professor Nima Arkani-Hamed

Khayyam (May 1050 - Dec 1122) was a famous Persian poet as well as a mathematician, Scientist,Astronomer and Philosopher . The father of Algebra was an outstanding mathematician and astronomer. His work on algebra was known throughout Europe in the Middle Ages, and he also contributed to calendar reform. Khayyam measured the length of the year as 365.24219858156 days. Two comments on this result. Firstly it shows an incredible confidence to attempt to give the result to this degree of accuracy. We know now that the length of the years is changing in the sixth decimal place over a person's lifetime. Secondly it is outstandingly accurate. For comparison the length of the year at the end of the 19th century was 365.242196 days, while today it is 365.242190 days. Khayyam poems are targeting all forms of fanaticism and today we should consider him as father of battle against fanaticism . Omar Khayyam is father of Agnostic thought process of Persia.

wikipedia wrote:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nima_Arkani-Hamed

Born 1972
U.S.
Fields Physics
Institutions Harvard University, Institute for Advanced Study
Alma mater University of Toronto,
University of California, Berkeley
Known for Large extra dimensions, deconstruction, Little Higgs
Notable awards Phi Beta Kappa (2005)

Nima Arkani-Hamed
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Nima Arkani-Hamed

Born 1972
U.S.
Fields Physics
Institutions Harvard University, Institute for Advanced Study
Alma mater University of Toronto,
University of California, Berkeley
Known for Large extra dimensions, deconstruction, Little Higgs
Notable awards Phi Beta Kappa (2005)
Nima Arkani-Hamed (Persian: نیما ارکانی-حامد) (born 1972) is a leading Persian-American theoretical physicist with interests in high-energy physics, string theory and cosmology.

Contents [hide]
1 Academic career
2 Selected works
3 See also
4 References
5 External links

[edit] Academic career
Arkani-Hamed was born in 1972 in the U.S. to Iranian parents (also physicists) and became a Canadian citizen.

Arkani-Hamed graduated from the University of Toronto with a Joint Honours degree in Mathematics and Physics, and went to the University of California, Berkeley for his graduate studies, where he worked under the supervision of Lawrence Hall. He completed his PhD in 1997 and went to SLAC at Stanford University for post-doctoral studies. During this time he worked with Savas Dimopoulos on large extra dimensions.

In 1999 he joined the faculty of the University of California, Berkeley physics department. He took a leave of absence from Berkeley to visit Harvard University in the spring 2001. Shortly after arriving at Harvard he worked with Howard Georgi and Andrew Cohen on the idea of emergent extra dimensions, dubbed dimensional deconstruction. These ideas eventually led to the development of little Higgs theories.

He officially joined Harvard's faculty in the fall of 2002. Arkani-Hamed has appeared on various television programs and newspapers talking about space, time and dimensions and the current state of theoretical physics. In the summer of 2005 while at Harvard he won the 'Phi Beta Kappa' award for teaching excellence.

Arkani-Hamed participated in the Stock Exchange of Visions project in 2007.

He was a Professor of Physics at Harvard University from 2002-2008, and is now on the Faculty at the Institute for Advanced Study.[

CNN wrote:

Colliding with nature's best-kept secrets
Source:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/05/09/physics.nima/index.html

Story Highlights
Nima Arkani-Hamed, a theoretical physicist, predicts large extra dimensions

The Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland may confirm his ideas

LHC results may change ideas of spacetime for the first time since Einstein

String theory postulates that the building blocks of matter are vibrating strings

By Elizabeth Landau
CNN
(CNN) -- Visiting a particle accelerator is like a religious experience, at least for Nima Arkani-Hamed.

Immense detectors surround the areas where inconceivably small particles slam into one another at super-high energies, collisions that may confirm Arkani-Hamed's predictions about undiscovered properties of nature.

Arkani-Hamed is only in his mid-30s, but he has distinguished himself as one of the leading thinkers in the field of particle physics.

His revolutionary ideas about the way the universe works will finally be put to the test this year at Switzerland's Large Hadron Collider, which will be the world's most powerful particle accelerator.

The accelerator, estimated to cost between $5 billion and $10 billion, could provide answers to questions physicists have had for decades. Thousands of scientists from around the world are collaborating on the project at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN.

If the results confirm any of Arkani-Hamed's predictions, they would be the first extension of our notions of space-time since Albert Einstein.

"We're essentially guaranteed that there's going to be something surprising," Arkani-Hamed said of the Large Hadron Collider, which will operate inside a 17-mile circular tunnel. See what's planned for the collider »

Regarded as a "gem," Arkani-Hamed is "opening our minds and creating a new world of ideas that challenge deep-grained preconceptions about spacetime," said Chris Tully, professor of physics at Princeton University, who is working on the Compact Muon Solenoid experiment at the Large Hadron Collider.

"From the point of view of the big experiments at the LHC, there is no amount of money or craftsmanship that would produce the kind of insight that comes from sharing LHC data with a true visionary like Nima Arkani-Hamed," Tully said.

Formerly a professor at Harvard, Arkani-Hamed currently sits on the faculty at the prestigious Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey, where Einstein served from 1933 until his death in 1955.

"He was lured from Harvard to the IAS; I'm sure that's considered quite a coup," said Daniel Marlow, a physics professor at Princeton who is also collaborating on the CMS experiment.

Arkani-Hamed has had a hand in explaining how the world can operate according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the universe on a very large scale, and at the same time follow quantum mechanics, laws that describe the universe on a scale smaller than the eye can see.

Some of the key mysteries that stem from these clashing theories include why gravity is so weak, relative to the other fundamental physical forces such as electromagnetism and why the universe is so large. These issues come up because on an inconceivably small scale, the particles that make up our world seem to behave completely differently than one might imagine.

For example, if you are driving a car, your GPS tells you where you are, and your speedometer tells you how fast you are moving. But on the scale of particles like electrons, it is impossible to know both position and speed at once; the very act of trying to find out requires incredible amounts of energy.

If it takes so much energy just to try to pin down a particle, then, in theory, all particles should have temporary energy changes around them called "quantum fluctuations." This energy translates into mass, since Einstein famously said that mass and energy are interchangeable through the equation E=mc2.

"It makes it extremely mysterious that the electron, or indeed, everything else that we know and love and are made of, isn't incredibly more massive than it is," Arkani-Hamed said.

A theory that has emerged in recent decades that claims to bring some relief to physics mysteries like these is called superstring theory, or string theory for short. Previously, scientists believed that the smallest, most indivisible building blocks of our world were particles, but string theory says the world is made of extremely small vibrating loops called strings.

In order for these strings to properly constitute our universe, they must vibrate in 11 dimensions, scientists say. Everyone observes three spatial dimensions and one for time, but theoretical models suggest at least seven others that we do not see.

Arkani-Hamed proposed, along with physicists Savas Dimopoulos and Gia Dvali, that some of these dimensions are larger than previously thought -- specifically, as large as a millimeter. Physicists call this the ADD model, after the first initials of the authors' last names. We haven't seen these extra dimensions because gravity is the only force that can wander around them, Arkani-Hamed said.

String theory has come under attack because some say it can never be tested; the strings are supposed to be smaller than any particle ever detected, after all. But Arkani-Hamed says the Large Hadron Collider could lead to the direct observation of strings, or at least indirect evidence of their existence.

In fact, by slamming particles into one another, the Large Hadron Collider may detect particles slipping in and out of the dimensions that Arkani-Hamed has worked on describing.

Particle collisions should begin at the Large Hadron Collider in August or September, according to the US/LHC Web site. Evidence of theories such as the ADD model could be discovered by 2009, Marlow said.

Data reflecting Arkani-Hamed's work on large extra dimensions "would really provide the first confirmation in this very profound way we might think about nature," Marlow said.

Arkani-Hamed always had a great love of the natural world as a child. Though his parents are also physicists, he considers it his "act of teenage rebellion to become one too," as his mother wanted him to become a doctor.

He remembers being impressed around age 14 that Newton's laws could enable him to calculate such things as the minimum speed that a space shuttle had to attain to escape the Earth's gravitational field. He'd wondered whether scientists had reached the figure of 11 kilometers per second by trial and error, shooting things in the air until the right speed emerged, until he could calculate it himself.

"When I figured out how to do that for myself, I just thought it was just the coolest thing, that little old me, scratching away on my piece of paper, could figure this out," he said. "From about 13 or 14, I knew that this is what I wanted to do."

All About Albert Einstein
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Iranian-American Alia Sabur Is the youngest professor ever Reply with quote

physicsworld wrote:

Is this the youngest professor ever?
http://physicsworld.com/blog/2008/05/is_this_the_youngest_professor.html

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, and what appears to be most major media outlets, Alia Sabur (pictured above) has broken the record for the world’s youngest professor.

Sabur, 19, will begin teaching physics next month at the Department of Advanced Technology Fusion at Konkuk University, Korea. It will be just another entry on the teenager’s laden CV, which reveals she received a bachelor’s degree at 14 and a masters in materials science at 17.

Something might be awry here, though. There’s nothing wrong with the media adopting the American English definition of “professor” (i.e. any university teacher) — after all, Sabur was born in New York. But it appears that the previous record holder was Scottish physicist Colin Maclaurin, who was appointed professor of mathematics at the University of Aberdeen when he was a few months over 19 in 1717.

I might have to explain to our international readers that in the UK “professor” is a more distinguished title, reserved for heads-of-departments and the like. (At least it has been as far back as any of us at Physics World can vouch for.) Sabur, I note, is yet to defend her PhD.

Does this mean the titles of Sabur and Maclaurin are being confused? Does Maclaurin, who is credited with the mathematical “Maclaurin series”, deserve to keep his accolade?

Of course, science was a considerably narrower discipline back in the 18th century, and achieving a professorship might have taken a little less time than it does today (it certainly wouldn’t have required a PhD). But Maclaurin can’t defend his honour, and offhand I don’t know enough about science in the early 1700s to cast a vote either way.

Do any of you have any thoughts? Feel free to comment below.

Posted by Jon Cartwright on May 2, 2008 4:33 PM | Permalink

TrackBack
TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.iop.org/mt4/mt-tb.cgi/630

Wikipedia wrote:
Iranian-American Alia Sabur Is Youngest Professor At Age 19

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Alia Sabur
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alia_Sabur

Born February 22, 1989 (1989-02-22) (age 19)
New York City
Nationality United States
Fields Mathematics
Institutions Konkuk University
Alma mater Stony Brook University
Alia Sabur (born February 22, 1989 in New York City, New York) is currently the world's youngest professor.[1] She is professor in the Department of Advanced Technology Fusion at Konkuk University in Seoul, South Korea.

Sabur became known after being accepted into graduate school at the age of 14. She had left public school in 4th grade, was admitted to State University of New York at Stony Brook at the age of 10 and graduated summa cum laude at 14. She also received a black belt in Tae Kwon Do at the age of 9.[citation needed]

After Stony Brook, Sabur attended Drexel University where she received her M.S. in 2006. In 2007 she took a temporary position at Southern University in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.[2]

On 19 February 2008, the Guinness Book of World Records named Alia the World's Youngest Professor, a designation held by Colin Maclaurin since 1717, when he was appointed professor of mathematics at 19 years and 7 months of age.[3][4] She has been hired as a professor in the Department of Advanced Technology Fusion at Konkuk University in Seoul, South Korea.[1][2]

[edit] References
^ a b Considine, Bob (2008-04-24). "World’s youngest professor can’t legally drink", MSNBC. Retrieved on 25 April 2008.
^ a b David McNeill (2008-05-01). "University appoints world's youngest professor", The Independent.
^ MacGowan, Carl (2008-04-21). "Guinness names Northport teen world's youngest professor", Newsday. Retrieved on 22 April 2008.
^ "Records of the week: 3rd – 7th March 2008". Guinness World Records (2008-03-07). Retrieved on 2008-04-28.

Quote:

دختر 19ساله ايرانی
معروف‌ترین دختر امريكايي و جوانترين پروفسور زن در دنيا !

"آليا صبور"، (Alia Sabur) اولين شهروند امريكايي ایرانی‌الاصل است كه رتبه اولين و جوان‌ترين پروفسور زن را در تاريخ امريكا به خود اختصاص داده است. اين دختر ايراني تبار بطور تمام وقت در دانشگاه نیویورك تدریس می‌كند و به عنوان یك نابغه نام خود را در ردیف جوان‌ترین استاد دانشگاه های معتبر جهان در كتاب رکوردهای گينس ثبت نموده است. ركوردار قبلي جوان‌ترين پروفسور دانشگاه هاي جهان متعلق به يك فيزيكدان اسكاتلندي بنام "كولين مك لورين" كه شاگرد اسحاق نيوتن بود و در سال 1717 ميلادي (291 سال پيش) در سن 19 سال و 7 ماهگي اين رتبه علمی را کسب کرده بود.

"آلیا صبور"در هشت ماهگی خواندن را آغاز کرد و از کلاس چهارم ابتدایی به کالج رفت تا در سطح کارشناسی ریاضیات کاربردی بخواند. وی در سن 10 سالگی در دانشگاه استونی بروك ثبت نام كرد و در 11 سالگی با گرايش به موسيقي به عنوان عضو اركستر سمفونی "راك لند" به اجرای قره نی پرداخت. آلیا چهارده ساله بود که مدرک ليسانس خود را از دانشگاه نیویورك اخذ كرد و دانشجوی دوره کارشناسی ارشد و دکتری دانشگاه درکسل، نیویورک شد. او در 18 سالگی مدرك دکترای خود را از دپارتمان تكنولوژی پیشرفته فوزیون در دانشگاه كانكوك سئول دریافت کرد و جوان ترین فردی بود که وارد دوره فلوشیپ پس از دکتری شد، او نشانگرهای سلولی خاصی را بر اساس تکنولوژی نانولوله ها ابداع کرد که در تحقیقات پزشکی کاربرد زيادي دارد. فقط سه روز مانده بود که نوزده ساله شود که برای تدریس در دانشگاه کنکوک، سئول، کره جنوبی پذیرفته شد. وی تا ماه قبل در دانشگاه دروس فيزيك دانشگاه كنكوك تدريس مي‌كرد و در حال حاضر، رياضي و فيزيك را در دانشگاه جنوبي ايالت نيواورلند تدريس مي‌كند. او يكي از دلايل ترك دانشگاه سئول را مشكل تکلم به زبان كره‌اي بیان کرده است.
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: 10 Years Old Iranian Won The No 1 Prize Reply with quote

Quote:

Sent: 1. august 2009 19:42
Subject: ویدیو: پسر ده ساله ایرانی برنده مسابقه شعر خوانیBBC

What an honor

چه افتخاری!

Afarin be Pedar o madar!! perfect English and farsi!!

آفرین یر این پدر و مادر. چه فارسی سره ای و چه انگلیسی کاملی!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/persian/arts/2009/07/090730_og_yazdan.shtml
blank

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passing of Bijan Pakzad, world famous Iranian designer. His billboards and pictures frequently appeard in the most prestigious magazines and streets in L.A.

http://www.bhcourier.com/article/Local/Local/Legendary_Bijan_Pakzad_Dies_This_Morning/75687

http://www.rezapahlavi.org/details_article.php?english&article=522
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Honorable Late Bijan Pakzad Reply with quote

cyrus wrote:
Pakzad Family wrote:
In memory of Bijan Pakzad - 5:30 pm on Saturday, April 30, 2011
at the UCLA Royce Hall - to attend please register via email:
info@bijanmemorial.com
Each email has to include: the name, phone number & the address of the requester. There will be 2 tickets per each email address. (The first 1000 people will receive tickets.). No cameras, please

FREE Iran ActivistChat 7011
The background painting is by one of the young great Iranian Artist ...

FREE Iran ActivistChat wrote:

Dr. Bijan Pakzad
4 April 1944 – 16 April 2011
Legendary Top Iranian Fashion designer of menswear, fragrances. and custom-designer for limited-Edition of Rolls Royce 2010 and Bugatti.
FREE Iran Leadership H.I.M. Reza & Yasmine Pahlavi message for unexpected passing of Dr. Bijan Pakzad
"As we bid this untimely farewell to this worthy son of Iran, we will hold Daniella, Nicholas, Alexandra and Mahtab in our hearts."
In Spirit of Cyrus the Great, the FREE Iran ActivistChat community is appreciating legendary Dr. Bijan Pakzad contributions who acted as a defacto Iranian-American Ambassador for our motherland Iran under occupation of Taazi forces in past 32 years. This is done in a very difficult, complex and dark night era of Iranian history.

FREE Iran ActivistChat 7011

H.I.M. Reza & Yasmine Pahlavi wrote:

http://www.rezapahlavi.org/details_article.php?english&article=522

We received news of the sudden and unexpected passing of our dear and cherished friend, Dr. Bijan Pakzad, with deep sorrow. All who knew the singular man known by his singular name, will understand our loss.

Bijan's accomplishments are too numerous to recite and they do not tell the whole story of the man we knew. He was as creative as he was kind. He was as generous as he was smart. He was as happy as he was hopeful. He would light up a room by his presence. His enthusiasm for design, for craftsmanship, for beauty was contagious. To visit with him was to enter a unique and charming environment---indeed, the House of Bijan was one of the most hospitable and enjoyable places.

We will remember Bijan, fondly and gratefully, as the true friend he was, most of all, for his incredible and genuine pride in being Iranian. It may seem as though he left Iran. But Iran never left him. Bijan remained a patriotic Iranian every day of his glorious life. He never forgot where he came from, nor the people he left behind. His philanthropy was legendary.

As we bid this untimely farewell to this worthy son of Iran, we will hold Daniella, Nicholas, Alexandra and Mahtab in our hearts.

Reza & Yasmine Pahlavi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: