[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE PRICE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: THE PRICE Reply with quote

Ba dorood:

I wonder if you could think on this issue.

Islamic Rip-off claims that their nuke is for peaceful purposes.

Let us assume that it is the case and in fact, they are looking to use Nuke for generating energy for electricity.

How much does this pursuit of nuke energy cost Iran?

Look, Islamic Rip-off is ready to destroy the country to have the Nuke power….well, if the country is to be destroyed for this issue then why is nuke needed for?!

I mean if Iran is going to be sanctioned to the point of demise of the economy then what good would it make to have NUKE or not?!!!

Having said the above, it is obvious that Islamic Rip-off is after Nuke for itself not Iran as they are ready to sacrifice Iran for NUKE!!!!!
blank

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of "islamic rip-off" I think "islamic thugs" or "islamic mafia" is a more suitable name for them. But the best name for them is Taazi........
Oldman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ba dorood:

While I am a supporter of Constitutional Monarchy, I am trying to help the ones who support a republic system by changing it to what it truly is.

Rip-off is very close to ripp off as KOLAAH-BARDAARY in Persian.
blank

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following article was posted here by Dr. Amir Nasseri I believe his description of "Traitor Taazi" fits iri and its followers.
http://activistchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8040

Who is a Taazi

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:36 pm Post subject: Taazi Defined

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The term Taazi gets uttered by many, including myself. It is unfortunate that many listeners misinterpret what is really meant by this term. They immediately think that it is a term that’s discriminatory and promotes prejudice. They think it is meant to devalue Arabs in general as well as Iranian-Arabs. This is certainly not the case.

Those who love and cherish Iran and our culture have no need to devalue other cultures. Many different cultures exist in our world, and Iranians are quite content to let all the others stand undisturbed. There is no need for us to elevate ourselves by pulling others down. Destroying the culture of others is not the intent of Iranian nationalists.

Some misguided souls even hint that by using such terms, the nationalists are inadvertently working against Iran by not being sensitive to Iran’s religion and ethnic groups. They point out that such an attitude will alienate the minority groups, and specifically the Iranian-Arabic population of Khuzestan. They are quick to demand unity and scream “intolerance.” They need to open their ears, and listen more carefully.

Foremost, the ethnic background and genetic makeup of an individual are unimportant and not at issue here. What’s at issue is one’s allegiance and frame of mind. This was demonstrated by the Iran-Iraq war. Saddam gravely miscalculated the support that his Arabic army would receive from the local Iranian-Arabic population living in Khuzestan. He miscalculated the effect of feeling Iranian to anyone who is a true Iranian. The Iranian-Arabs showed their allegiance and loyalty to Iran. Those who bravely defended Iran’s soil from the invaders with their own lives proved that they were Iranian through and through. They were definitely not Taazis.

Furthermore, Arabs that live in their own countries and mind their own business are not Taazis. The ones who are not waging jihad, or trying to force islam or any other garbage down the throats of their unsuspecting victims are not Taazis.

So then, now that we know who is not a Taazi, the question becomes who is a Taazi? A Taazi is someone who holds the nomadic Bedouin way of life and code of ethics above that of common human decency. A Taazi is someone who is willing to die and kill in the name of Allah. A Taazi is someone who has turned a deaf ear to his own heart and only listens to the call of hate and violence. A Taazi is someone who feels compelled to carry the Bedouin Barbarian Bylaws to ever-expanding spheres of servitude. More than anything else, a Taazi is someone who has discarded his own deep-rooted traditions and culture in place of a God which was the imagination of a pirate. This last person is a traitor-Taazi; the worst kind.
The best examples of traitor-Taazis are the pro-Islamic Republic Taazis. Most claim Iranian heritage and blood. What good is heritage and blood, if they betray that heritage? They claim they are Iranian. However, they are the anti-thesis of Iranians. As I said, one’s genes and ethnic background do not matter.

That’s why calling someone a Taazi is not prejudicial. One is not born a Taazi. One becomes a Taazi by choice. Unfortunately, much brain-washing goes along with that choice. Nonetheless, it is a choice. It is impolite and in poor taste to mock one who is born a certain way. For example, it is very unfair to mock a person’s appearance, low intellect, or ethnicity. However, it is quite fair to mock one who has chosen to be a certain way. One’s religion (or lack thereof), ideology, political conviction, and Taazi-ness are all fair game. Of course, mocking Taazis is what I do best.

Being a Taazi is a frame of mind. Being a Taazi is a reflection of one’s heart. Genetics have nothing to do with it.

Similarly, being an Iranian is a frame of mind. Being an Iranian is a reflection of one’s heart. Genetics have nothing to do with it.

My heart is in Iran, and Iran is in my heart.

What about you?
I am Dariush the Great King, King of Kings, King of countries containing all kinds of men, King in this great earth far and wide, son of Hystaspes, an Achaemenian, a Persian, son of a Persian, an Aryan, having Aryan lineage

Naqshe Rostam
Oldman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ba dorood:

My heart is in Iran and in fact it beats for Iran.

Based on what I have researched on the word TAAZI, I have learned that today's Yemen was called TAA and people who lived there are called TAA-ZI.

Do not forget that Yemen was a progressed part of the world at the time and Islam destroyed their culture to the point that they ended up as a nomadic people.

I thin that the nomadic way came about AFTER Islam came to Yemen.

Above is my learning.
blank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still prefer Amir's definition on the islamist Taazi ragheads..........

Last edited by blank on Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oldman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ba dorood:

HAR GOLI YEK BOOIE DAARAD. Smile
blank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry dupe posts.
Oldman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ba dorood:

Sorry, don't understand you reply.
blank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Oldman:
I had posted something twice, so I deleted it, and wrote dupe (duplicate) posting.... I was not replying to you.. just admitting my mistake in writing something twice.... Laughing
Oldman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ba dorood:

Thanks!

BTW, why is this board so inactive?
blank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldman wrote:
Ba dorood:

Thanks!

BTW, why is this board so inactive?

I don't have an answer to your question. However, if you look, it has more than 4000 registered members, more than any other site I have ever seen. Why these members don't participate is beyond me.
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Blank,

I can only speak for myself, but perhaps it is not enough simply to blog with like minded people. When at war, one must take the fight to the enemy. Thus I have been spending a fair amount of time in the bastion of liberal appeasement, shining a bright light on the truth....and making a concerted effort to provide perspective to the "powers that be" in the US gov.

It's efforts like this that change mindsets, derail the confidence of mullah's men, and further the cause of freedom.

Hope you are well....

To:
"Tehran born and raised" -

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/postglobal/ali_ettefagh/2006/11/a_change_towards_institutions.html

It is hard for me to fathom how persecuting a cleric (whether credible scholar or not) speaks well of the strength of political institutions in Iran.
If indeed the man is a "charletan" as you say, would it not be the action of a strong system of government to either laugh it off as the words of a "charletan" or simply engage in honest debate if what he said..."I believe people are fed up with political religion and want traditional religion to return," ...has a following, which in fact it does....not all Shiite sects aprove of political Islam.
In fact it is a sure sign of fear and institutional weakness that disallows debate and opposing viewpoint within Iranian society.
Condemned some 50 times in the UN for human rights violations, leaders and former leaders of your nation now face inditement (Argentina's for one), lawsuits, sanctions and increasing pressure on multiple fronts from the international community, as well as from the Iranian diaspora's thirst for freedom.

After almost 30 years, what has political Islam given you? Khomeni's "Utopia"?

A hemoraging stock market, the flight of capital and the "brain drain" of intellectuals and the highly educated, the continued repression of centers of higher learning, teachers, students, and anyone else that is in any way seen as non-conformist to the mindset in power.

All the promise of the future traded for a plastic key to paradise, given to the children ( not even adults) of Iran that the leaders of your nation used to penetrate minefields in the Iran/Iraq war.

Not to mention attempting to be "more Palestinian than the Palestinians" in using that tragic conflict as an excuse to distract from the regim's own failures at home and in international relations.

Whether the press is good or bad, if it be accurate, it is not "blown out of proportion", but exists in context to what a majority of Iranians already know...the "revolution" has failed them.

What I see from their words today(the mullahs and supporters)is threats shrouded in niceties, the essential intellectual hypocracy of arrogent rightiousness in claiming to have any understanding of absolute truth, as manifest by a political sect of Islam wholy incapable of having an open and honest dialoge within its belief structure, let alone a "dialoge among civilizations"; and a pattern of criminal and sociopathic behavior that has been elevated to an "art form" by the leadership of Iran since the '79 revolution.

http://www.iranfocus.com/uploads/video.jpg

My answer to Ahmadinejad's wrong thinking-ness is that raising a family, growing old and watching your kids thrive and prosper in peace, and knowing the joy of this over time, having contributed to its manifestation , having created one's reality , a new generation, ....is the ultimate artistic endeavor.

La Familia, Solidarity, .....no question a man (or woman) would give their life to save one's family, but that would not be art, rather shear and tragic neccessity in extreme circumstance.

Antar (Ahmadinejad) is putting a cause above family to the extent that it appears that the leadership of a nation advocates national suicide on an artistic basis, for meglomaniacal ends, and those who advocate such lack of respect for life and Islam itself should be given a one way ticket to a padded cell in hell....the Islamic version of hell that is.....at the hands of the global umma itself.

This is the bit that really convinces me that he is a taco shy of a combination plate....Islam is already global....What exactly is this guy's major malfunction?....unless of course he is advocating a global purge of all non-Muslim people, then that is public advocation of Genocide on a global scale and will not be permitted to occur.
The incitement , inducement, rational, however you wish to characterize Antar's advocacy of Martyrdom in the context of this video... is in and of itself, evidence of, and grounds for inditement on charges of intent to commit mass murder, in an international court of law.

It is apparent to me that many supporters of this regime are sitting on a gaping hole in the carpet of their rhetoric.

Those of the Muslim faith, as well as those Iranians who read this have my great sympathy and support for the choice that you must now make in favor of freedom....as individuals, to preserve your families, nation and the umma itself from those who lead a great nation and people over oblivion's cliff.
Oldman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ba dorood:

I agree that you need to take the war to the enemy but where do you prepare to have a coordinated attack on enemy?

This is a good board to come together for a unified attack.

Last edited by Oldman on Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldman,

Perhaps this will help answer your question:

Address to the Gulf Research Center in Dubai

R. Nicholas Burns, Under Secretary for Political Affairs
Remarks as Prepared for Delivery
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
January 23, 2007

Introductory Remarks

Thank you for your kind introduction. I'm very happy to be here, and to have
received such a warm welcome on my first visit to Dubai. While the UAE and
Dubai in particular have gotten a lot of international press coverage recently,
it is hard to fully comprehend what's been achieved here in a remarkably short
time unless you see it with your own eyes.

I now have a greater understanding of the UAE leadership's vision, not only for
economic development and infrastructure, but for Dubai as a forum for ideas and
international understanding and cooperation. To this end, I appreciate the fact
of the existence of the Gulf Research Center and its broad range of programs,
and especially its willingness to host me here today.

The topic on the agenda today — the security of the Gulf and the broader
Middle East — is one of tremendous urgency for the United States as well
as for our friends and partners here in the region. It seems fitting to launch
a conversation on Gulf security here in Dubai. As a historic entrepot of
commerce and civilizational exchange, Dubai has thrived for centuries by making
the most of its strategic location.

Today, as the epicenter of innovation, openness, and the global integration of
the Middle East, Dubai embodies the aspirations and opportunities that are
finally within reach for the peoples of this region. That you have achieved so
much in the shadow of enduring regional challenges is a testament to the
foresight of your leadership and the entrepreneurial spirit of your nation.

Throughout this truly transformational period, the strong bilateral
relationship between the United States and the UAE has been constant source of
security for the national interests of both our peoples and for the peace and
stability of the broader international community. Our important partnership is
based on shared values, as well as shared interests.

The prosperity and progress that are the hallmarks of this country are the
carefully cultivated products of forward-looking political, security, and
economic policies that are strengthening your position as a regional hub for
trade, transportation, investment, and tourism, thus contributing to regional
economic security.

Recognizing the elemental requirement for genuine security based on
cooperation, the founder of the UAE, the late Sheikh Zayed, oriented the UAE's
foreign policy toward promoting " peace, neighborliness, and friendship." The
UAE has also stepped forward as a good neighbor in the world extending its
generous assistance to Iraqis, Afghans, Palestinians, and Lebanese struggling
to rebuild their countries; to Pakistanis following the terrible earthquake
there in November of 2005; and even to my fellow Americans following Hurricane
Katrina.

Gulf Security: A Global Concern, A Vital Mutual Interest

But while Dubai and the UAE have come to symbolize the flourishing future that
stands before this region, your success should also serve to remind us of the
vital need to deter and defend against the grave and growing threats that loom
not far from these borders. The world has long understood that the Gulf is a
vital transit way for the preservation of international security and the
functioning of the global economy.

57% of the world's crude oil reserves and 40% of total proven natural gas
reserves are located in the Gulf region. 20% of the world's oil supply passes
through the Straits of Hormuz every day. The peace and security of the Gulf
and our allies in the region are critical to the health of the global economy
and to the security of the United States. We all know this. But our interest
in Gulf security is not just about oil. In today's globalized, interdependent
world, international stability is inextricably linked to Gulf security.
Destabilization of the Gulf would threaten the vital interests of everyone.

And while the U.S. has long had a vital interest in the free flow of critical
energy supplies, our commitment to the security of this region also now
reflects the legacies of the terrible attacks of 9/11 and the long-awaited
liberation of Iraqis from a dictatorial regime. Our challenge today transcends
the traditional need to protect access to the region's energy supplies and
transportation corridors from a conventional military threat.

Those events made clear that we must address a broader and more profound set of
risks: to avert the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, to counter
the intensification of extremist ideologies, and to advance good governance,
economic progress, and constructive interaction with the broader world.
Preserving Gulf stability is thus a mutual responsibility and a common
challenge that requires a multi-faceted set of policies and close coordination
between the U.S., regional leaders, and all those states that share our
commitment to democracy, peace and stability.

Threats to Gulf Security

As scholars and specialists, you are familiar with the geopolitical threats to
regional security – and I want to talk in detail on two: the ongoing
violence in Iraq and the Iranian regime's destabilizing actions across the
region. But these specific threats derive from a broader conflict between the
forces of freedom, moderation, and civil society, and those of violent
extremism and sectarian hatred. This existential contest is being played out in
several areas in the Middle East, and particularly in Iraq.

Our objective — one that we believe is shared by responsible leaders and
reformers throughout the region — is to ensure that the forces of
instability and violence do not prevail. To accomplish this, we have developed
a comprehensive approach intended to make progress in each of the key areas of
tension, and to promote the general trends of progress, moderation and openness
that have reaped such rewards here in Dubai.

Threat/U.S. Response: Iraq

We all agree that a stable, prosperous, and unified Iraq, based on respect for
Iraq's territorial integrity and the sovereignty and authority of Iraq's
democratically elected government, is in the interest of all countries in the
region as well as the U.S. Iraq's democratic government is besieged by forces
that view moderation and inclusive, representative government as anathema to
their regional agenda. The brave Iraqis who are trying to build a new Iraq
where all Iraqis have their voices heard, and where difference are resolved
peacefully, are being challenged by sectarian extremists, al- Qaida terrorists,
and terrorists who use violence, oppression, and intimidation to advance
extremist agendas.

As President Bush has said repeatedly, failure in Iraq is simply not an option.
The stakes for Iraq and the region are too high. That is why we put a lot of
thought into a new plan. We listened carefully to the advice and views of our
allies in the region. And we worked closely with the Iraqis. Our strategy is
built on the premise that establishing security is a necessity for progress in
other areas, and it includes strong, complementary economic and political
approaches.

The main thrust of the President's New Way Forward in Iraq is for the U.S. to
assist and support Iraqi-led efforts to deal with their most difficult
problems, including confronting all those involved in intimidation and killing,
supporting and achieving genuine national reconciliation, and doing more to
improve the day-to-day lives of average Iraqis so that they can feel the
benefits of political and economic freedom.

A key part of our new strategy is to support moderate Iraqi leaders –
regardless of political or religious affiliation – who are committed to
advancing their goals peacefully as part of a democratic process. If Iraq is
gong to have a stable and prosperous future, we must help the Iraqis reject,
isolate, and defeat extremist elements.

We cannot do this alone – we and the Iraqis need the assistance of
friends and allies, particularly here in the Gulf. A large part of that
assistance will center on the International Compact with Iraq, something which
many of the region's countries have worked hard with the Iraqis to achieve.

The Compact involves the UN, World Bank, IMF, the Arab Monetary Fund, Islamic
Development Bank, Arab Fund for Social and Economic Development, and more than
70 countries. Under the Compact, Iraq has identified and committed to implement
a broad and detailed program of economic reforms in return for support from the
international community, including through debt relief and financial and
technical assistance.

The Compact will also promote greater regional economic integration, especially
between Iraq and its neighbors. We hope that Iraq and its neighbors will work
to realize a new future together. We appreciate our partnership with the UAE
and other GCC states to support Iraq and the Iraqi people, but would also ask
that you consider now what more can be done as we all look hard at ways of
increasing our assistance.

Threat/U.S. Response: Iran

The Iranian regime's strategic calculus is simple but flawed: the more chaos
there is in the region, the greater its influence; the stronger the forces of
violence and destruction, the more forceful its hand in regional affairs. This
explains the regime's continued pursuit of a nuclear weapons capability, and
its refusal to adhere to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, sign the
Additional Protocol, and meet its international nuclear obligations by
cooperating with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and complying
with United Nations Security Council Resolutions 1696 and 1737.

It explains Iran's support of terrorism worldwide, for extremist elements in
Lebanon and the Palestinian territories, as well as its repeated efforts to
thwart a peaceful resolution to the Palestinian- Israeli conflict. It explains
Iran's support for violent extremism and sectarianism in Iraq that is
calculated to thwart efforts toward national reconciliation in Iraq, and it
explains why Iran, along with Syria, allows terrorists and insurgents to use
its territory to move in and out of Iraq and helps train and arm militants who
are killing Coalition forces and innocent Iraqis.

I would add that it is not surprising that a government that would follow these
policies would also disregard the basic human rights and aspirations of its own
people. The regime is well aware of the strategic importance of the Gulf.
Instead of playing a constructive role in the Gulf, the regime has made a
strategic decision to work against our shared vital interest in Gulf stability
by attempting to intimidate its neighbors and dominate the Gulf, be this
through proxy terrorism or its pursuit of a nuclear weapons capability, or
provocative military exercises and missile tests. We cannot allow this
intimidation to succeed.

The United States has joined the international community in condemning Iran's
reckless and illegal pursuit of a nuclear weapons capability. We have made
clear to the regime that the path to greater security lies in meeting its
international nuclear obligations, denouncing terrorism and extremism, and
suspending its destabilizing actions in Lebanon and Iraq. Unfortunately, the
regime continues to ignore the international community.

The unanimous passage of UN Security Council Resolution 1737 which places Iran
in a small group of countries (11 total) subject to Chapter VII sanctions was a
milestone in these efforts. We call on all of our partners in the region to
swiftly and fully implement their obligations under 1737 and to pressure the
regime to abandon its illegal nuclear activities. Next month, the Security
Council will again convene to evaluate Iran's compliance with its nuclear
obligations, and may pursue additional Chapter VII steps, as necessary.

The United States is working for a diplomatic solution to this crisis and
believes one is possible, with the support of other countries. That said, we
take no option off the table to solve this problem.

As we go forward with our nuclear diplomacy, the United States will seek to
maintain the strong international consensus regarding the steps that Iran must
take to comply with its nuclear obligations. Our offer of direct talks within
the P5+1 framework remains on the table, but Iran must first verifiably suspend
enrichment and related activities.

In Iraq, we will counter the regime's support for militants by seeking out and
destroying networks of individuals — regardless of nationality —
that provide advanced weaponry and training used to kill Coalition troops and
innocent Iraqi civilians. It's no secret that the United States has grave
concerns with Iran. I want to stress, however, that our problem — and the
international community's problem — is with the policies of the Iranian
government, not the Iranian people. Thus our goal remains to change the
regime's behavior.

The United States government and the American people respect the Iranian
nation, and admire its rich history, vibrant culture, and many contributions to
civilization. We believe that the Iranian government should be answerable to
the Iranian people and responsive to their needs. The Iranian people deserve
the freedom to exercise their civil rights, an economy that rewards their
intelligence and talents, and a society that allows them to fulfill their
tremendous potential. The region and the world seek an economic and political
partner in a peaceful, democratic Iran.

Sadly, the regime has chosen to deny its people liberty, opting instead to use
Iran's national resources to fund terrorism and extremism, pursue nuclear
weapons, and destabilize the region.

Despite what the Iranian government says, the United States and the
international community have no objection to Iran's pursuit of a truly peaceful
nuclear power program, under IAEA supervision. In fact, the generous package
offered by the P5+1 would provide economic, political, and technological
benefits for the Iranian people.

Our vision is an Iran that is integrated in the regional system; and Iran that
no longer threatens its neighbors and respects the rights of its citizens; an
Iran that no longer diverts vast sums desperately needed at home to fund
terrorist attacks against civilians elsewhere; a full trading partner with both
the region and the international community; a great nation with a strong
economy that can create adequate jobs for its population. An Iran that will
have strong, positive relations with its neighbors, as well as with the
international community, and a contributor to peace for the region.

Responding to the Threat:

The United States objective with regard to the Gulf region, and in the Middle
East more broadly, is the stability, security and prosperity of our allies, and
to work together to confront and overcome mutual threats. While Iran seeks
chaos, we will pursue security for our allies and for the region.

While Iran seeks the power to dominate, we will continue to stand by our
friends and to assist them in developing the capabilities they need to resist
such pressure.

While Iran seeks to create divisions in the region and in the international
community in pursuit of domination, the U.S. is working with a wide range of
regional and international partners on political and security initiatives in
pursuit of security.

Response: GCC+2

For example, last week in Kuwait, Secretary of State Rice met with her
counterparts from the GCC countries, Egypt, and Jordan. This was the fourth
"GCC+2" meeting. This meeting took place because we share a common vision: we
all want a stable, peaceful, and prosperous Middle East.

The strategy of responding to threats to regional security through collective
consultation and action has been around for some time.

The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) was established in 1981 in response to the
destabilizing events of that era: the Iran-Iraq war and extremists' efforts to
overthrow Arab governments through the export of revolutionary and jihadist
ideology that distorts Islam for radical political purposes. The goal of the
founding states of the GCC — Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia,
and of course the UAE — was, as the GCC Charter puts it, "to effect
coordination, integration, and interconnection between the GCC states in all
fields," and thus strengthen their collective ability to meet regional
challenges.

Put more simply, the creation of the GCC represented an effort by moderate
regional states to establish a collective security mechanism based on the
principles of cooperation, peaceful resolution of disputes, respect for UN
resolutions, and adherence to norms of international behavior -- a coalition of
the responsible, if you will. In a similar manner, Secretary Rice and her GCC+2
counterparts met in a spirit of partnership, with a focus on consulting and
exchanging views. The GCC+2 mechanism provides a way to implement our joint
commitment to work together to promote regional security and peace.

At the January 16 meeting in Kuwait, Secretary Rice and the GCC+2 Foreign
Ministers talked about Iraq, and ways we can work together to support national
reconciliation and assist the Iraqi people in their struggle to ensure that
violent extremism does not undermine the hard work they have undertaken to
create a new Iraq in which all can live in peace, freedom, and security.

They also discussed the need to move forward on achieving a twostate solution
to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict – we understand and believe that a
just and lasting resolution of this longstanding tragedy will serve as a
catalyst for comprehensive peace and reconciliation between Israel and all its
Arab neighbors; we are committed to pursuing the vision of President Bush for
two states – Israel and Palestine – living side by side in peace
and security.

We are energizing our efforts with the parties and with moderate regional
states and the Quartet to pursue that goal. It is critical that we do
everything we can to help the parties come together to resolve their
differences, and to support the direct dialogue between the parties which will
be necessary to allow that process to move forward. In that context, it is
vital that we support Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas as he follows the
path of moderation and partnership in pursuit of peace.

Secretary Rice and her colleagues talked about the importance of a sovereign,
democratic, and prosperous Lebanon and the need to support the people of
Lebanon and the legitimate Lebanese government. The GCC countries have
generously provided significant assistance to Lebanon.

They also discussed the grave situation with Iran, and the need to swiftly
implement 1737 and hold Iran accountable for meeting its international
obligations.

That this large group of regional leaders came together to discuss a
comprehensive agenda including all major challenges shows not only that there
is a consensus among moderate forces in the Middle East, but a shared
commitment to act together. And we will continue to build on this cooperation
to meet the challenges ahead.

Concluding Remarks

As I said earlier, this is a time of change and challenge in the Middle East.
Sheikh Zayed, the founder of the UAE, once said that "Our security policy...is
based on the necessity for cooperation by the countries of the region
themselves to resist any danger that threatens our security."

The United States shares this wise leader's strategic assessment that
collective action is the most effective way to manage change and counter
challenges to regional security. The forces of violent extremism seeking to
undermine the stability of the Gulf region must be confronted by a united front
of those countries who seek peace and security through moderation.

The vision we share is one of hope: that by working together we can build a
prosperous, stable Middle East. Look at the benefits that have flowed to the
UAE from its wise leadership and openness to the best of the rest of the world.
We'd like to see this extended to the larger region.

The United States values its partnership with the UAE. We do not always agree,
but when we differ, we differ as friends and with mutual respect. Our
cooperation has benefited each other, as well as the region.

I want to leave you with a final thought. I've described the vision of the
United States and its partners as one of hope that will benefit all. I want to
contrast our vision with that of our adversaries. Theirs is a cynical vision of
violence and despair that will only bring more violence, and more despair. That
is our choice. That is our mutual challenge.

Thank you.

Released on January 30, 2007

See http://www.state.gov for Senior State Department
Official's statements and testimonies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: