[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

17-year-old girl sentenced to death for self Defense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Former Miss Cda defends Iranian on death row Reply with quote

Former Miss Cda defends Iranian on death row
Updated Thu. Mar. 30 2006 6:29 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060329/canada_iran_060329/20060329?hub=Canada

Nazanin Afshin Jam, Miss Canada 2003

Nazanin has been sentenced to death by hanging in Iran.

Immigration lawyer Negar Azmudeh

A former Miss Canada is attempting to bring international attention to the plight of an 18-year-old woman sentenced to death in Iran.

Nazanin Afshin-Jam, a B.C. resident who won the Miss Canada pageant in 2003, has never met the Iranian woman whose life she is trying to save.

"This is not just a case of an Iranian woman. This is a case of humanity," Afshin-Jam told CTV Vancouver.

In early January, an Iranian court sentenced the 18-year-old, who is also named Nazanin, to death by hanging because she confessed to stabbing and killing a man who she said was trying to rape her and her niece.

Nazanin, who was 17 at the time of the incident, was with her 16-year-old niece when she said three men pushed them to the ground and tried to rape them.

She testified to taking a knife and stabbing one of the men in the hand. When the men continued to attack the girls as they tried to escape, she said, she stabbed one of the men in the chest. She said that she was defending herself and her niece and had no intention of killing the man.

"She's not a criminal -- she's the victim," Afshin-Jam said.

The former Miss Canada and aspiring singer is not along in her efforts.

Negar Azmudeh, a Vancouver-based immigration lawyer, has also taken up the girl's cause, alleging that this case demonstrates the unjust treatment of women in Iran.

Azmudeh told CTV Vancouver had Nazanin been killed by a man, he would likely not receive a death sentence: "Because the value of his life would be twice as much as Nazanin's."

Amnesty International is also lobbying for Nazanin's release.

In the past, Iran has bowed to international pressure. In 1997, a woman who was sentenced to death by hanging for shooting a police officer who allegedly tried to rape her was later released.

However, there are also cases where young women have suffered the death penalty.

In 2004, a 16-year-old was hung for committing "acts incompatible with chastity."

"I think cases like this are illustrative of the fact there is a serious, serious human rights crisis in Iran; the death penalty, discrimination against women and a whole host of other concerns," said Alex Neve, Secretary General of Amnesty International Canada, told CTV Vancouver.

"It really is time for the international community to put those issues right at the top of the agenda."

Afshin-Jam has started an on-line petition and hopes that people around the world will also take up Nazanin's cause.

"If enough people get involved in this and we all gather together and take action then she can be free."

With a report by CTV Vancouver's Jina You
Aeron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Webpage for Nazanin Reply with quote

I have created a webpage designed to help spread the word about Nazanin.
I wrote some information about the case, what you can do to help, general info about death penalty in Iran, and some notable cases in the recent past.
The address is:

http://save.nazanin.googlepages.com/home

Sincerely,

Aeron
AmirN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this effort, Aeron.

And welcome to the forum.

Amir
I am Dariush the Great King, King of Kings, King of countries containing all kinds of men, King in this great earth far and wide, son of Hystaspes, an Achaemenian, a Persian, son of a Persian, an Aryan, having Aryan lineage

Naqshe Rostam
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please listen to beautiful song by Miss World Nazanin Afshin-Jam
http://www.myspace.com/nazaninmusic

Nazanin Afshin-Jam wrote:
Vancouver, 18. May 2006

URGENT
REQUEST OF U.N. INTERVENTION
ON ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN
TO FREE NAZANIN FATEHI FROM EXECUTION

H.E. Mr. Kofi Annan
Secretary General
The United Nations
New York, NY 10017

Dear Mr. Annan,

I am writing to your Excellency, on behalf of myself Nazanin Afshin-Jam, and many international bodies and 130 000 people around the world who have signed the “Save Nazanin Petition”. We would like to express our deepest concern for Ms. Nazanin Mahabad Fatehi, an 18-year-old girl who is facing imminent execution by the Islamic Republic of Iran. It has just been reported that her fate will be decided this week.

Nazanin was arrested in March 2005 for having stabbed one of three men who attempted to rape her and her 16-year-old niece in a park in Karaj, Iran. She attests that she acted in self-defense in order to prevent being raped. She was nevertheless sentenced to the maximum punishment possible under the law, death by hanging.

Nazanin was 17 years old at the time of the act. Iran is a state-party to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) and the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) and is therefore under obligation not to impose the death penalty on those under the age of 18.

Mr. Secretary, the record of human rights of the Islamic Republic is a dismal one. Amnesty international has recorded 18 executions of child offenders in Iran since 1990. In 2005 alone, at least 8 executions of child offenders were recorded.

The International Committee against Execution has been responsible for helping free many women from execution in Iran. Their experience shows that with enough international pressure, letters from the UN, and governing bodies their sentences are commuted. One example of this is the well-known case of Afsaneh Norouzi who was granted clemency in 2003.

As someone who opposes death penalty in all its form, we ask you in the name of humanity to intercede with the government of Iran on behalf of Miss Nazanin Mahabad Fatehi.

On behalf of 130 000 people, I would like to meet with your Excellency or one of your Official Representatives to hand deliver this petition and together petition the Iranian Officials to free Nazanin.

I am fully aware of your Excellency’s deep commitment to principals of human rights across the globe, and genuinely hope that this case will receive all your attention in order to save this unfortunate woman from an unusual and cruel punishment.

I would not be so bold to request so much from you had it not been for the news that she may have less than 7 days before her death sentence by hanging is carried out. We are hoping this will set a precedent for others like Nazanin in the future.
Thank you,

Nazanin Afshin-Jam
Concerned citizen of the world, with no political affiliation

www.nazanin.ca
130 000 people from around the world
https://petitiononline.com/Nazanin

CC:

Louise Arbour,
High Commissioner of Human Rights
Rachel Majanga,
Special Adviser on Gender and Advancement of Women
Jong-Gil Woo,

Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights in Geneva (Iran Desk)

http://www.petitiononline.com/Nazanin/

Nazanin Afshin-Jam wrote:

CC: UN, World Leaders, Government officials, Human Rights Organizations, International Media, IRI officials,

Activists, several thousand e-mail recipients, and Yahoo groups

Summary of Nazanin helping another Nazanin case:

Dear Jong-Gil Woo,

Maurice Copithorne was kind enough to pass me your contact information.

I am sending you a letter addressed to Kofi Annan and other UN representatives such as yourself regarding the case of 18 year old Nazanin Fatehi. As you will hopefully have time to read in the attachment above (or scroll below), Nazanin has been sentenced to death by hanging for having stabbed one of three men who attempted to rape her and her 16 year old niece. We have just been notified that she may be executed this week or the coming week by the Islamic Republic of Iran. She faces imminent danger; however a letter or phone call from the UN could be all that is needed to commute her sentence.

In the attachment above there is:

- a cover letter outlining the case of Nazanin Fatehi -a copy of the Petition with a link to the online petition names (a hard copy with 130 000 signatures will be hand delivered to you in the next few days) -Links to articles and interviews (TV, radio, print) related to the case of Nazanin Fatehi -Copy of the case as found on the Amnesty International site

Please let me know if you need anything else from me to expedite the process of trying to save Nazanin.

We have contact for Nazanin's lawyer in Iran as well as the phone number to her household in Karaj.

You may phone me at anytime of the day, I will be glued to my phone until we can resolve this travesty.

In the name of Humanity, I thank you very much for your time, I know that you are dealing with these types of injustices on a daily basis,

With great hope and gratitude,

Nazanin Afshin-Jam

www.nazanin.ca

Ramin Etebar, MD wrote:
Dear World leaders, UN officials, Human Rights Organizations and international Media

Islamic Republic of Iran is about to execute a young girl who in self-protection in an attempted rape situation

stabbed her attacker to death.

As of last count, a worldwide petition organized by the former Miss World Canada Nazanin Afshin-Jam has gathered

136810 (and counting) signatures to stop this outrageous teenager execution.

By voicing your international objections god willing, we will be able to stop this barbaric execution.

Sincerely Yours

Ramin Etebar, MD
Iranian-American Physician & Activist
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: NAZANIN - PRESENTS RIVETING DOCUMENTARY OUTLINING HEROIC EFF Reply with quote

Click To WATCH THIS Superb DOCUMENTARY Video
http://www.bodog.tv/spotlight/

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MUSIC ARTIST AND RUNNER-UP FOR MISS WORLD – NAZANIN - PRESENTS RIVETING DOCUMENTARY OUTLINING HEROIC EFFORTS TO SAVE THE LIFE OF AN IRANIAN WOMAN WHO SHARES HER NAME

Bodog.TV broadcasts Tale of Two Nazanins

January 5, 2007 - Nazanin, the international music sensation who quickly rose to the ranks on the world celebrity scene after being named runner-up for the Miss World Competition, is once again looking to capture the attention of global activists. This time, however, the former Miss Canada seeks support from the international community in her campaign to save the life of her 18-year-old Iranian namesake.

Nazanin Mahabad Fatehi was sentenced to death for murder by a court in Iran after she stabbed one of three men who attempted to rape her and her 16-year-old niece in a park in Karaj , a suburb of Tehran , in March 2005. She was 17 at the time. On June 1, 2006, the Head of Judiciary, Ayatollah Shahroudi, announced a stay of execution and the call for a retrial. Nazanin Fatehi's retrial will take place January 10, 2007 (20th of Dey 1385 in the Iranian calendar).

To raise the level of awareness, the former beauty queen is now hosting a riveting documentary, produced and funded by media mogul Calvin Ayre and his charitable organization, the Calvin Ayre Foundation. The Tale of Two Nazanins, which can be viewed on Bodog.TV and CalvinAyreFoundation.com, highlights short and candid interviews with politicians and human rights experts, and captures emotional footage of Nazanin Fatehi speaking to her sister and mother by phone from prison. Other footage includes a re-enactment of the attack and narration by Nazanin Afshin-Jam as she takes the audience through the emotional episode.

Bodog Music singer and songwriter Nazanin Afshin-Jam has been waging an international campaign to raise awareness about this human rights case. She has created a petition that now has over 230,000 signatories from around the world, as well as spoken to political leaders and international organizations and institutions, such as the United Nations.

“We have a lot of momentum, but we're running out of time,” said Afshin-Jam, who dedicated a song on her upcoming album, “Someday,” to Fatehi, as well as the previously released “I Dance 4 U”, which broke the UK 's Dance/Pop charts in 2006. “I really believe we can save Nazanin's life - but only with the support of the international community,” she said.

“This is an incredibly unfortunate situation that has far-reaching implications,” Bodog.com Entertainment Founder Calvin Ayre said. “Our hope with this documentary is to shed light on the plight of this young girl and others who share a similar fate. We encourage Nazanin Afshin-Jam to continue her effort to raise the level of awareness about this case and will do what we can to support her in every way possible.”

To find out more information about the case of Nazanin Mahabad Fatehi, see: www.helpnazanin.com. To view the documentary visit: www.bodog.tv.

Publicity Contact: nazaninpr@bodogmusic.com

Petition 8 to Save Nazanin
http://www.petitiononline.com/Nazanin/petition.html

Petition 8: Save Nazanin
Sign the Petition -
View Current Signatures

cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: What Women and Men Who Care Are Saying Regarding This Case? Reply with quote

What Women and Men Who Care Are Saying Regarding Nazanin Case As Victim Of Islamic Fascists Sharia Law?

301612. Sharon
NAZANIN, WE HEAR YOUR CRIES, THE WORLD CRIES WITH YOU. YOU ARE INNOCENT!
CANADA

259466. Catherine
I watched the brief story on MTV and I saw Nazanin pleading for her innocence, fighting for her life, talking to her family while her tears fell down her face. I was in a state of shock, disbelief and certainly irate. It is pretty evident that women still suffer under laws that, honestly, do not have meaning. How can we protect ourselves if we do not have the right to fight back? They say that the world has changed, but we are still fighting the same battles that we've been fighting for centuries now. I know this is only one case of injustice against women of Islam, but I believe, hope and pray that all of us, men and women, can speak for those who cannot speak for themselves. I can only hope that this petition will reach the Islam Republic and help Nazanin, and other women, to be free from this silencing. Nazanin, you are courageous and such an inspiration to me. Remember that there are millions of people who support you, even if you feel isolated or neglected. I will be strong for you!
Canada

253914. Jessie Ebersole
Nazanin showed incredible bravery and courage to protect herself in such a terrifying situation, and should be applauded instead of killed. Iran needs more young women like Nazanin. Nazanin's acquittal will be a victory for all women in Iran in their quest for basic rights as human beings. The United Nations should express their extreme disapproval of Iran if they claim to be a force for human rights in the world

245204. Julia West
THIS IS AN OUTRAGE. THIS WOMEN ONCE A CHILD IS SENTENCED TO DEATH BECAUSE SHE DEFENDED HERSELF AND THE PURITY OF A CHILD WHICH IS ONE OF THE INPORTANT THINGS THAT SHE WAS RAISED TO BELIVE IS SACRED AND WOULD BE SEEN UNPURE IF THAT WAS TAKEN AWAY BEFORE MARRIAGE. SHE NOW HAS TO PAY WITH HER LIFE FOR TRYING TO SAVE HERSELF AND NIECE FROM THE SHAME OF THE OUTCOME OF RAPE . NOW SHE MUST DIE FOR DEFENDING WHAT WAS RIGHT. ! HOW HYPOCRITICAL !.
THE UNITED STATED OF AMERICA

244342. Erin Kroll
Save Nazanin's Life practice humility and respect
US

244335. Danielle Mulligan
I am not able to undersatnd how this can be taking place. I am a 20 year old female and in my country a woman would be praised for defending herself. More politicans and powerful people here in the US need to take a stand on what is happening overseas. They are pumping billions of dollars into Iraq and yet don't even blink at issues such as this. I wish there was more I could do. United States of America

244329. Tonya Buckendorf
I think that if it was self defense against someone who was trying to harm her and her neice then it isn't right for her to be imprisioned over it let alone be put on a death sentence

244325. Noemi Galindo
Hey IRAN! so you think a Man's life is twice the worth of a woman's? Try this: HOW ABOUT you let other countries take your women and children to care for them and give them a better life.. and let's see how you men try to go about without your other half. It is called equality and GOD, ALLAH, MUHAMAD.. WHOEVER.. Put men and Women on THIS planet called EARTH, to live in prosperity and as ONE! This beautiful world with LIFE was not created for trash like this. It was created so that we can ALL unite as ONE and move on further like the way that our human minds were designed to do! This message comes from a 19 year old girl from AMERICA

244308. Laurel Stephens
i read this article in the seventeen magazine and would like to tell all the people in charge of Nazinin's case that they should consider what might have happened if she would have not protected herself. No matter what sex she is she should not be punished. Think about what you would do if you were in her shoes.
USA

Last edited by cyrus on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:51 pm; edited 5 times in total
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Former Miss Canada Hopes to Get Iranian Woman Off Death Row Reply with quote

Former Miss Canada Hopes to Get Iranian Woman Off Death Row

January 08, 2007
CanWest News Service
Glenda Luymes
To Watch Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlWhJMI_JEI

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=769245b1-e3be-41c9-ac5b-2adcda20b4d5&k=99363

VANCOUVER -- They have one thing in common Nazanin Fatehi and Nazanin Afshin-Jam share a name. But while Fatehi waits on Iran's version of death row, Afshin-Jam, a former Miss Canada pageant winner, is working to have the Iranian girl's sentence overturned, doing much of the work from a computer in the bedroom of her apartment here.

On Wednesday, both women will find out if Fatehi will live or die.

"She is always with me. She is always on my mind. I've been nervous about this for the last 10 months," Afshin-Jam said Sunday.

The Vancouver pageant winner and pop singer first heard Fatehi's story 10 months ago when she was contacted by a stranger who thought it was interesting the two shared a name.

Before that, Afshin-Jam had never heard of Fatehi, who was sentenced to hang last January after admitting she stabbed to death one of three men who tried to rape her and a 16-year-old niece. She was 17 at the time.

"When I learned Nazanin's story I was horrified," said Afshin-Jam. "I couldn't get it out of my mind. I felt I had to do something."

Using her fame as Miss Canada and knowledge gained through an international relations degree, Afshin-Jam started a petition to save Nazanin. So far, she has collected more than 232,000 signatures, which have been delivered to the Iranian government. She has also visited Ottawa and the United Nations headquarters in New York, asking politicians to put political pressure on Iran to stop the execution.

In June, Fatehi's death sentence was stayed and a retrial ordered. The second trial is scheduled for conclusion on Wednesday.

"This isn't just about Nazanin," said Afshin-Jam, whose family left Iran when she was two years old. "This is about the right for all people to have a fair trial. It's something that affects us all as human beings."

If Fatehi had allowed the men to rape her, she would have been given 100 lashes under Iranian law. If she had been married at the time, she could have been found guilty of adultery and sentenced to death by stoning.

"It's a double-edged sword," said Afshin-Jam. "Women have no option ... I feel like I need to be a voice for those who don't have a voice."

gluymes@png.canwest.com
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: What Women and Men Who Care Are Saying About Nazanin Case Reply with quote

Freedom-Loving American Women Outrage To Save Nazanin As A Victim Of Islamic Fascists Occupiers Of Iran

277120. Emma Goddard
Horrible. Woman like Nazanin are being terribly degraded in society. We are people too, and woman rights are STILL a problem all over the world. It's not possible to "allow" rape. Rape is sex at your own will, meaning you can't "allow" a person to rape you. So many men tell you to dress a certain way and to just look a certain way in general so that others do not think unwell of us or in Nazanin's case, attempt sexual engagement with us. If men are telling us to do that, then they should themselves take account for their actions too. Disgusting. America

277119. Sabrina Van
Asveld Please don't let this travesty called "justice" in Iran be carried out. No woman, wherever she comes from, deserves to be held accountable for the horror she endured. If her attackers cannot keep their hormones on check, she does not have to suffer for that. She is the victim, she's not at fault.
USA

277395. Catherine Garrison
Your laws are sick and unfair. Without women there would be no men. Without men there would be no war. Why do you allow one huma being to abuse another? Why do you abuse women? Women should be honored and cherished for the loving caring people they are. They are not at the root of evil in the world - men are - our prisons are full of them. They rape, they kill, they abuse, they are the authors and creators of WAR. The world would be so much more beautiful it were run by women - and some day it will be if the men don't destroy it first - men like George Bush and Sadam - God would frown upon them, and upon you for killing this innocent creature for defending herself. I suppose you think all women should just lay down and be raped without objection. Judgement day will come in heaven or hell. Heaven is full of women, hell is full of men.
USA

259563. Victoria
Sellers This is crazy, hanging someone for defending herself?! Everyone in the world should sign this.

259558. Maninouth Thipphavong
How can leaders of a country allow such an injustice to simply pass on? Are you blind men or are you merely filled with contempt for all women? What would you have done if it was your own child helpless in sucha situation? This will not end here, people around the world will not just watch this and then let it disappear. We will not forget. No one ever forgets the grave injustices done by such cruel men. Be merciful, and even Allah will forgive you.
United States of America

259524. Katie Heisinger
i read this story in a seventeen magazine and i felt so sorry for so i immediately went to this site to sign the petition
United States of America

260060. Roozbeh Rajaei
To kill a person is truly to spit in Nature/God’s eye. To kill a child, is just inexcusable and pure Evil. We, Iranians/Persians, as a nation have disgraced our heritage/history of being people of high tolerance, morals, and intelligence by allowing such atrocity to take place. We, inhabitants of Earth, have disgraced everything holy, sacred and natural about being and possessing innocence by allowing such atrocity to take place in the world. Lets show each other and who ever that may be watching, that we as a nation of this world, we as the people of this world are not savages and that our ability to Love casts a great shadow over our ability to hate. USA

260013. Christina Stoltz
I don't think it is right that they are going to hang her just because she was defending herself!!! Also I do not think that a man's life should be worth more than a womens!!! Everyone should be treated the same!! USA

259965. Kath Seymour
To carry out this sentence would be a horrendous injustice. The whole world would be horrified at such cruel , barbaric injustice against someone who is both a minor and an undefended girl acting in self-defence. I urge all authorities involved to do whatsoever is possible to revert this unbelievable sentence. May God save and bless Nazanin and every child or woman like her.
Canada

259824. Lakeisha
I think that this is absolutely outrageous and a tragedy. An individual deserves the right to protect themeselves despite their gender. Im only one person, but I hope that I can in some way contribute to saving Nazanin.
United States of America

260207. Lisa Olsen
Will a female child receive a fair trial in Iran? If she is lost, the loss will felt by all women and children in every part of the world where oppression of women still exists

261091. Jonathan Krull Thou shalt not be a victim. Thou shalt not be a perpetrator. Above all, thou shalt not be a bystander. Dr. Martin Luther King: "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly." Thoreau: "Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison."
USA
Nazanin & Nazanin, I am posting this message on MySpace so I can let people know about this. It's a shame that this will happen to a girl who was tring to defend herself and niece!! It just shows how unfair Iran can be. Don't worry Nazanin & Nazanin, people will sign this petetion to save your life. People have to even sign a petetion just to save someone's life. Thank you for bringing this topic up in Seventeen magazine. I promise you both, that she will live.
USA

268008. R. Porter
This madness must end! How many times must innocent victims continue to be victimized. Sentencing must be carried out on the perpertrators not the victim. The world must respond and stop this insanity. Unfortunately these types of crimes are happening all around the world to women,more often than we hear about. I am tired of hearing the excuse, that is their culture. No ones culture should place any one human being above another. We should be all treated equal under the law, regardless of religious affiliation. Laws should and must be based on human rights, and not what religious views you hold. Please save Nazanin!
Canada

267904. Debbie Snow
Killling someone for defending themself against rape is a disgrace. In my opinion she is a very brave woman, and I only hope that I have the courage to defend myself if I am ever in the same situation.
Canada

268125. Nicole SKursky
With the war in Iraq occurring, most people seem to believe that nothing that happens in the Middle East is significant. My own friends believe that Iraq should be atomically bombed for the sole reason that there MIGHT be terrorists residing in the country. Women are the strongest people, yet receive the least respect and the least amount of rights. They are just as diligent and hardworking as men and deserve all the same and equal rights that men just seem to naturally be born with. Nazanin is a powerful woman. He struggled through one of the hardest situations a girl may be faced with. Though she killed a man, she responsible for the life of her niece and most importantly, the life of herself. My heart goes out to her. United States

268098. Yasamin
why are woman still mistreated! i don't understand, as an iranian i believe that when i go to iran with my family i should feel safe and not scared to go out because if i do some men will try to abuse me or my family. Am i supposed to accept that ? am i supposed to accept that i should do nothing about it! what about self defense, i mean they were raping her! she used defense what was she supposed to do just let it happen? it honestly disgusts me, makes me sick to the bone, and i hope that something is done about this injustice!

268073. Trisha
Its unbelievable that this can happen just for defending her life and her niece'. Shes only 17. Life is too short to be holding her in prison for something that was not intentially ment to happen.
Canada

268062. Natalie Rossi
This story has really touched my heart! I can't believe they treat women like this for trying to protect themselves! I hope everything is fixed for the better! Luck!

267849. Jennifer B. Griffith
Self-defense is allowable by all religious laws, even if it results in the death of the attacker. She was defending herself AND her niece, and this is justifiable.
USA

272431. Lynn McCann
This petition is proof that the common person can postively impact the life of someone in need.
United States

272781. Ona Lucas
Time to educate those men about women. Where would they be without women. Women give birth, without them there would be no population for one thing . It's time for us to communicate assertively with that Country about Human Rights especially Women's Rights.
Canada

272750. BETTY KINGSLEY
Just give me 5 minutes with those guys, they will never rape again. What kind of idiot makes these laws?!! I would have done the same thing. Makes you want to pack your bags and teach someone a lesson.

273003. Karin Ryan
I am at a loss for words, please let Nazanin live!!!

272693. Paul Norris
She's getting punished why?? What options did she have? I guess the 'proper' thing to do in her situation would have been to get rapped and then taken the 100 lashes and considered her self lucky, what kind of thinking is this?? This brave girl needs our support, imagin how she must feel right now, how frustrating it must be to be a woman in that country. Canada

272633. Lisa Selinger
This is an absolute outrage. Happenings such as this makes you really grateful to live in a great place like Canada. I hope you can save her. Canada
--------------------------------------

ActivistChat Supported Petition 8 to Save Nazanin
Sign the Petition -
View Current Signatures

Click To WATCH THIS Superb DOCUMENTARY Video
http://www.bodog.tv/spotlight/

Last edited by cyrus on Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Freedom-Loving American Men Reaction To Save Nazanin Reply with quote

Freedom-Loving American Men Reaction To Save Nazanin As A Victim Of Islamic Fascists Occupiers Of Iran

278059. mark nichols
It is unbelievable in this day and age that Iran is so out of touch with the real world. Iran has such a glorious history and yet today the country is moving at light speed backward. I urge the Iranian peopl;e (both men and women) to begin demanding that the rights of people within their country not be determined by their sex, race, religion or their economic level in society. God never meant this to be so. Only humans themselves could prove to be so ignorant. My hope is that the Iranian people will rise up and demand equality in their society and not allow such a tragedy as Nazanis's conviction to continue.
USA

278057. Gary Gardner

Although I completely realize and respect the fact that laws and beliefs vary between countries and cultures, please show this young woman the compassion and mercy that her attackers did not show her. I also understand that the law applies to ALL, however, please try to understand how you would feel if this had been YOUR daughter, YOUR neice, YOUR mother, YOUR wife, or YOUR sister. Noone one Earth, of ANY culture should be condemned for trying to protect themselves from being raped, injured, or killed.
USA

277770. Jason Robert Hook

Executing this woman would be an atrocity of unparalleled disgustation and the truest proof of an archaic society undeserving of any form of compassion, for any reason whatsoever. The very act of defending men who will sexually assault a woman is a grievance against all human life and all that is holy. How can any human being justify her even being on trial to begin with? How can a government that claims to rest on peaceful principles even tolerate the actions of those men? Iran is telling the world that it is perfectly acceptable to commit the most horrendous crime concievable and that as if that were not insulting enough to the human race, they blame the victim. This is repulsive, disgusting and absolutely pathetic. A judicial system that behaves in this manner is an utter joke and a complete fraud. These actions cannot be justified by any single human being with a pulse, let alone a conscience. This woman should be freed at once with an incredible national apology.
United States of America.

267890. Alex M.
This is the last and final day before the trial. Please show sympathy and admiration towards Nazanin's courage. Deep within her, she did not mean to take another life, but it was hers or his. Please understand this situation and do not let your Theocratic ideology get in between human conclusions. This is not how you should govern any country and no way to punish humans in the 21st century. We all descended from the same origins and therefore, all share the same rights to life and laws. Governments, including ours, are corrupt. Leaders are supposed to be appointed by the people! If you consider yourself higher than anyone in this society; day and age, then you are considered a "Dictator." Do not let the entire world see Iran this way. Show us the real beauty of the Ancient Persian customs, heritage, culture, language. My respect goes out to her and her family and everyone who has been trying to make a change around the world. I embrace you all as equal brothers with different characterics and traits.
U.S.A.

Last edited by cyrus on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:18 pm; edited 5 times in total
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Freedom-Loving American Women Outrage To Save Nazanin Reply with quote

Freedom-Loving American Women Outrage To Save Nazanin As A Victim Of Islamic Fascists Occupiers Of Iran

300003. ActivistChat.com wrote:

Thank you free world courageous women with high degree of awareness.
Saadi 13th century Persian poet says:
*- Human beings are all members of one body.
- They are created from the same essence.
-When one member is in pain,
- The others cannot rest.
- If you do not care about the pain of others,
-You do not deserve to be called a human being.
* Poem from Ferdusi (935–1020) :
*Crush not even the tiny ant that beareth a grain of corn, for she hath life, and sweet life is a boon.*
The Freedom-Loving American Women Outrage To Save Nazanin is a wake up call for all politicians.
United WE STAND with new set of test cases for foreign policy evaluation:
1- Have a Human Rights purpose
2- Have a secular democracy purpose
3- Have a Free Society purpose
4- Have a primary effect to increase freedom at global level.
5- Have the element of War Of Ideas to expand public awareness, education and expansion of truth.
6- Have a Element of Freedom of choice

http://activistchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8384

302353. Amy Bernhardt
I caught Nazanin's story while I was flipping through the channels on the television. I was shocked and appualed to learn about her story. I wa even more shocked that they think it is okay to execute girls as young as 9 YEATS OLD!!! I sympathize with the people of Iran who don't believe in what these Islamic control freak pigs believe in. I could not imagine what it would be like to live in fear and the extreme oppression. She had every right to protect herself as well as her neice. You know the sad part is that if they would have let them rape them, in some sick and twisted way the girls probably would have been accused of being whoers and ousted by others. I am NOT religious in any way, shape ,or form, because of instances like this. People misinterperate their religion and use it as power and then you get these dictators who think they can use their evil ways in the name of their religion. Nazanin needs to be freed and cleared of a crime that clearly she shouldn't be jailed for.
U.S.A.

301164. susan byrd
This story is a tragedy. I can't believe that these people allow these atrocities against their own people. I have told everyone I know to sign this petition to help save this poor child. People from around the world should do everything they can to stop this kind of treatment towards any human being...I'm praying for her and her family and everyonelse who has met this same kind of fate due to the beliefs of the leaders of these countries.. Please keep us updated as to what is happening with Nazanin and for anythingelse we can try to do to help her!!!!!
united states of america, thank God!!

297466. Tia Burch
Oh wow i can't belive that this is going on. Do people not care what is going on in the world today. This needs to be stoped and stopped soon. United States

297414. Richa
Nazanin Mahabad Fatehi should be completely exonerated and provided substantial compensation for what both the government and the perpetrators of the attempted rape did. The government should prosecute those who attempted the rape, require that they publicly apologize, and make them pay a substantial amount. The government should then commit to prosecuting anyone who rapes or attempts rape, and to protecting everyone in the country from that heinous crime.
USA

297395. Maria Khawly
This is extremely unfair and cruel. I can't believe this is even a debate. She was DEFENDING herself! God will punish whoever tries to murder Nazanin for protecting herself and her niece. Set her free.
USA

297232. Maureen Elllen
she is an example of strength for young women everywhere, willing to fight for the safety and well-being of herself and her niece, and i commend her. i'll pray for the very best for her.
USA

297120. Laura Beth
Hunter Your laws give men a license to harm women. I am quite surprised you have any living women among you. How dare you blame a woman for being raped when they are weaker than men and have no defense but to fight with all that they have and hope to get away. Nazanin did the only thing she could to defend her and her neices purity, and you convict her for that?! If she hadn't, you would convict her; it seems you fail to realize what is good and right. No woman ever chooses rape! If these so-called men hadn't attacked her and her neice to begin with; the dead man would be alive today. How about holding men accountable for their actions? After all, if the man is "supposed" to be worth more than a woman, shouldn't he behave as such and realize that a woman needs their be protection, and not their abuse? My God says that women are the weaker vessels and you men should honor us as such. In other words, don't take advantage of the fact that she is weaker!!!
USA

297989. Amanda
This is one of the most outrageous things I've ever heard, She did what she had to do and what any other woman would do in that situation

298215. Courtney Brown
I am appalled that such atrocity continues to occur in the "enlightened" world of 2007. This is a travesty to all women around the world.
USA

298210. Shahnaz Farghdeface
As a woman, it makes me sick to my stomach to learn that incidents like this still occur in my home country in this day and age. We have to all come together and banish ridiculous laws that still are in effect in our country, not just women but also men from not only Iran, but globally from all countries. It concerns all of mankind, and I think it's time for us to really speak up and make some changes.
Canada

298180. Elizabeth Boze
I am full support of any human being that protects themselves against someone trying to hurt them. But as a woman I feel even more empathy for this young girl... I will be praying for her release and well being. Thank you for starting this petition and I hope all of our voices are heard. United States

298141. Nicole Perez
All humans who are fortuante enough to be granted basic rights should fight against this injustice. God Bless Nazanin.
USA

298342. danielle
when i read the article i was devistated to find out that this was happening so immediately when class was class got out i ran to sign up. california,
us

Last edited by cyrus on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:20 pm; edited 6 times in total
blank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone watch Glenn Beck show on CNN Headline News last night 1/9/07? He interviewed Nazanin Afshin-Jam. She was really good and hopeful. It was amazing what this young lady has gone through to save the second Nazanin- as they say in Persian a true"sheerzan". She has traveled all over the world, according to her, they have provided Nazanin with the best lawyer they could find.... and she said she will not stop until Nazanin is out. Ms. Afshin-Jam said, several countries, including the US, has offered Nazanin asylum... I hope & pray for her, and all the innocent men and women on the death row in Iran......
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Freedom-Loving American Women Outrage To Save Nazanin As A V Reply with quote

314718. Alice Reilly
I find most people in Islamic areas to be more inviting and friendly than many of their Christian counterparts, not to mention being very polite. I’ve always had respect for their world, even desiring to learn Arabic simply because I thought that if I were brave enough to try to forge lines of friendship between two areas that are so vastly different and to understand their customs, maybe I might make a difference... Now I’m just not sure. How could such a good people do this extremely hypocritical thing to a woman who was saving herself from something so foul, to be punished either way? She risked her LIFE taking a monumental step for Iranian women and saving the dignity, virginity, and chastity of not only herself but her niece as well! What message is this sending if she cannot even turn to her own government for safety? If it’s true that an Iranian woman’s life is worth half that of a man, then shouldn’t this woman draw equal by saving herself and her niece, two halves of a whole?
United States

314299. Torri
women have rights. if i was going to get rapped by some nasty fool, i would beat the hell out of him. i respect her so much and in so many ways. and if she is killed on death row. know this you will probably rot in hell. and dont even try to ask for GODS forgivness. you know what you did! Nazanin Afshin-Jam your in my prayers.
United States

314434. Jenna Thompson
this is an unfair justice commited on this poor girl..all she did was try and save her and her younger niece from being raped. She commited this act in self defence..i think that the government should be more concerned about finding the men who did this to them..and not so much that she killed a man. not to be rude or anything but i think that the government should get their head out of their ass and relalize what is going on to these poor children. so some stupid rapist got killed in the act..but Nazarin and her neice's dignity and special gift have been taken from them forever...buy three men who took what they wanted not matter who it was or what harm it caused them in the end. the country needs to move up in the world...yes i know you have your religious beliefs and other things..but you need to start to realize that your ancestors where not always the smartest people when they wrote the laws and rules of the religion and your society. again i am sorry to the people who take this the wrong way..im sorry!
Canada

314553. Katie Lin Blackmon
I pray that everything goes the way it should. When I read this story it blew me away. Self Defense is an Essential quality and should not be revoked or abused. To protect yourself is one thing, but to be executed for it is another.
United States

314574. Jennifer Clarence
What wouldent you do to save the life of your own Daughter? What wouldent you do to deffend your own dignity? Picture your own loved one under attack. Now imagine them going to the gallows for saving themselves. If you have ever loved another human being, you will find justice in your hearts and free Nazanin from her sentence of death
U.S.

314614. Tanya Missios
I am deeply concerned and disgusted that there are still countries that can justify and enforce outdated laws/customs that treat women lower than animals. I would hope that there has been a grave mistake and that all involved realize the crimes they are now committing against this young woman and her family.
Canada

314638. Tena Hedrick
How can a culture hold a women's virginity in such high regard, even to the point of commiting "honor killings" when a women is not pure at the time of her marriage, yet can punish these same women for fighting to the death to save the very thing their culture kills them for losing.
Australia

314224. Maria Julia Saenz
Nazanin Fathehi's charge is an insult to all women. I am only 16, and I can not imagine what she is having to deal with at the age of only 18. I hope the best for her and that she will come out of this injustice trial. Hopefully, her case will help other girls from ever having to be in this situation. I was truly touched by the article in Seventeen magazine and will do my part in helping Nazanin and other girls like her. It is my responsibility and other girls too, who are free to speak and act, to help. Irving, Texas, United States of America

312692. Claire Lewis
When I read this story in Seventeen magazine, I was completely outraged by this. I am 17 years old and I would fight too. Nazanin fought for her life and her dignity as a woman. I admire her in so many ways and I pray that its God's will for her to be set free and I pray too that the Iranian people see that women shouldn't be treated as mere property. Without women there wouldn't be men. Help save Nazanin.
United States of America

312681. Megan Gneiting When a government is so flawed that the right to self defense is abolished; corruption is clearly evident and those who still have a voice and a chance to make it right should do so because it is their civic duty.
United States

310941. Denise LeBlanc
Shame on you who condemn those who use selfdefense to protect themselves against the true criminals
Quebec, Canada

314951. Taliesin CoburnPercival
the Mullahs should hang their heads in SHAME
CANADA
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Iranian Victim Reply with quote

319555. Manoochehr Taherzadeh
Thank you Dear Nazanin for helping your sister NAZANIN who is under torture in mullahs tortire chambers! as an iranian I am proud of you. bravo! God Bless you. This regime executed many many little school girls who circulated Mojahedin leaflets in their schools.like Fatemeh Mesbah,or dariush salahshour who ere executed alaong with their parents. Please do continue your fight for such a noble cause of humanity. I have been torturd in mollahs jails. I was so badly beaten up that both my kidneys have been destroyed. i am likely to die soon with 3 kids. I am a musician and comped many songs... i admire you my dear daughter Nazanin jaan. khoda negahdaet basheh! Amoo Manoochehr

319451. Dr. Hamid Taherzadeh
This inhuman fundamentalist regime has already been condemned 53 times by different UN resolutions condemning the Mullahs for their barbaric and gross violations of human rights. They have already executed more than 120000 political prisoners and tortured hundreds of thousands of innocent iranian men and women.this regime is outlawed and has no right to execute any one under any pretext!No one should be executed by the inhuman regime of the Mullah in Iran
France

Last edited by cyrus on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: American Women Outrage Reply with quote

319464. Sarah Cramer
Breaking the law, breaking a dream, breaking a heart. Reports of the cruelties against women make me feel helpless, but if something as small as my name can change a girls life, then consider it done. Together, our names can be powerful.
United States

320013. Chelsea Birch
If this were to happen in America the news would be praising the girl for fighting back. Everyone has a life and a life should be honered by both the beholder and by others. I respect and look up to her for what shes done, especially in the circumstances that she's in and what she was risking when she defended herself and her niece. This women risked everything to save her life and now shes being threatened to have it taken away for doing so. Now I will fight the cause to save her life since she has been put in a position to no longer do so.

320008. Haley Shook
I read this story in Seventeen magazine and immediately went on the computer to sign the petition. What they are doing is wrong.
U.S.A.

319689. Rhonda L. Alperin
It is more than high time that Islamic countries join the 21st century, embrace the concept of 'civilization', and stop allowing women to be treated like garbage. Victims - and potential victims - of rape, beatings, or other horrific acts should not be blamed for defending their virtue. The cowardly men who perpetuate such actions are the ones who should be on trial.
U.S.A.

319667. LuvLen
this is to Nazanin: I am so sorry that this happened. You were so brave to defend you and your niece. I know I wouldnt have been able to do it. You are my idol. I wish you the best luck in court.
USA
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Jan 31: NAZANIN IS FREE!!! Reply with quote

Ms. Nazanin Afshin-Jam wrote:
Jan 31: NAZANIN IS FREE!!!

http://www.helpnazanin.com/Updates.aspx#20070128

Nazanin had a very emotional reunion with her family members. She could not believe that this day had arrived. She cried in her mothers arms and took turns embracing her siblings and father.

After she finished greeting her family, Nazanin's lawyer Mr. Mostafaei said that she told him that she now wants to go to school and study hard to get her life back. Soon after, Mr. Mostafaei got a phone call from some of Nazanin's inmates saying that they missed her already.

More details to follow.

Congratulations to Ms. Nazanin Afshin-Jam Vicrory To FREE Brave Nazanin ....

Congratulations to Ms. Nazanin Afshin-Jam, over 348,412 who signed the Save Naznin petition and over 100,000 American Women comments with outrage and high degree of awareness to Save Nazanin As A Victim Of Islamic Fascists Occupiers Of Iran . With our sincerest appreciation for Ms. Nazanin Afshin-Jam very hard work, her superb full time Activist Global Campaign to FREE Nazanin and thanks to our fellow FREE Iran Activist Dr. Ramin Etebar with big heart who supported Save Naznin petition and many other Free Iran cases.

United We Stand For FREE Iran, Free Society, Secular Democracy and Human Rights

ActivistChat

Quote:

Iranian teen spared the ropeCampaign continues to secure Nazanin Fatehi's release - you can help
By Lester Haines → More by this author
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/18/nazanin_fatehi_update/
Published Thursday 18th January 2007 11:07 GMT
Receive articles like this on your desktop as they break, click here.
There's some cheering news this cold January morning - condemned Iranian Nazanin Mahabad Fatehi has been spared the rope following an international net campaign led by former Miss Canada Nazanin Afshin-Jam.

To recap, Nazanin Fatehi was in January 2006 "sentenced to death for murder by court in Iran after she stabbed one of three men who attempted to rape her and her 16-year-old niece in a park in Karaj (a suburb of Tehran) in March 2005".

In June 2006, "the Head of Judiciary Ayatollah Shahroudi announced a stay of execution and the call for a complete new retrial" - scheduled for 10 January.

Mercifully, the five judges who reviewed her case "determined that the act was unintentional and was indeed a case of self-defense". As a result she was "exonerated from the charge of murder".

That's the good news. The bad news is that the judges "ruled that disproportionate force was used by Nazanin while trying to defend herself and her 15-year old niece" and ordered that she pay dieh, or blood money, "to receive a pardon from the family of the deceased before she can be released from prison".

Nazanin's lawyers say they "intend to appeal the payment of blood money, but since this may take several months they also have requested bail so that Nazanin may be released from prison immediately. The court has set bail in the amount of 400,000,000 Rials (over US$40,000)".

Since the poor girl's family is a bit cash-strapped, the Help Nazanin campaign is asking for donations. All cash received "will be allocated to the requested bail and other campaign costs" and, if the appeal is successful, "any excess donation fund will be used to assist Nazanin's family as well as any other cases of minors sentenced to death in Iran".

Well, El Reg has already walked it like it talks it, and this morning dispatched some cash to the fighting fund. We're sure those of you with a few quid or dollars to spare will be happy to do the same. You can find details on how to make a donation

Last edited by cyrus on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:19 am; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: