[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fakharavar- Iran's Hope?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blank

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cyrus"]
blank wrote:
cyrus wrote:
blank wrote:
blank wrote:
AmirN wrote:
Quote:
Though I am not very critical of him, I certainly don't see RP as a significant leadership personality at the present.

RP, will be the the best monarch we can ever ask for. His leadership will never be a political one, but a moral one. As any monarch, his leadership is symbolic, like our flag that will bring people under one symble. Like any other King, his duties will be ceremonial and his job will be a public relation one, which after this filth of IRI it would be a monumental task to achieve. I believe with his good reputation, his world knowledge, his upbringing, he can restore our Persian Pride and herritage in the international community. And he is the only one that can achieve this.

Right now Iran is under a second occupation by Taazi's, many of young children don't even know what our herritage is? their view of Iran is, what is fed to them by the Taazi's and their Hezbollah brothers. A Taazi way of life. Therefore, having a moral leadership, that can revive & emphasizes who Persians/Iranians are, is as important as having a political leadership.
Reza Pahlavi, is the moral leader that Iranians need, after the filth of IRI & their Hezbollah brothers have been dismantled.

Dear Blank,
Thank you for your post. Certainly I agree with you Iran needs Moral Leader , don't you think Her Majesty Empress Farah Pahlavi has played that role in past 27 years. Prince Reza Pahlavi should consider to play more active role at this critical time in our history ….….
Leadership of freeing homeland from Taazi must follow Cyrus The Great model and not to be afraid of tough battles and able to take high risks and sacrifice ….
Prince Reza Pahlavi should not assume leadership without risk and like good General should be available in all kind of battles ….. and don’t be afraid of loosing battle.
We have not been impressed with Prince advisers and their performance in past 27 years…
The good Open Leadership must self review their own organization performance and take necessary actions based on facts … It is up to leadership to communicate with public and share the reality to manage public expectations …..
If Prince wish to be a Moral Leader, should openly communicate with public and provide logical reasoning.
Regards,
Cyrus

Dear Cyrus:
Shahbanou will always remain the Mother of our country and the most beloved Queen in our recent history- after Arab invasion. Even her, has not been immune from criticism, because she smokes!
This is not the first time that I have heard similar statement as you said “he is not doing enough”! There are people that want him to do what his grandfather did. Go to Iran, and start a fight, they don’t realize, today Iran is not what it used to be 80-90 years ago. The current regime is a true evil, like an octopus, with so many tentacles, from Hezbollah, Hamas, Pasdaran, Revolutionary Guards, Al-Qaeda, and Palestinian; each arm is there to ensure the opposition is destroyed, by any means, inside or outside of the country. Not only that, each tentacle is extended from Afghanistan to Iraq to Lebanon, again to ensure the evil will stay in power. What really is frightening, they say now Lebanon is 60% Hezbollah or their sympathizer, that is one reason, even the so called “democratically” elected president is pro-Hezbollah and pro Syrian. I am afraid Iran will not be any better off.
To me, the suggestion that he should go to Iran, is so unreasonable & crazy, that they might as well ask him to commit suicide, because the minute he steps foot on Iran he will be captured and hanged. Then my question is? How useful is a dead person to our cause, for that reason alone, I would advise him not to listen to illogical suggestions like that.
For the past twenty years, Reza Pahlavi, has been active, by his writings, speeches, interviews, media appearances, participating in hunger strike, demonstration in L.A. Every opportunity that he has been given by the media, he has expressed the plight of Iranian people, and their longing for democracy. He does have to be very careful, because there have been two assassination attempts on his life. The second criticism is about his advisors, which I don’t fully understand, because no one gives any specific examples. Again, as I said previously if we want a monarchy based on what is in Europe or Japan, he cannot be political; in the sense of decision making. I see him as the moral leader that Iran needs badly. He will never claim, announce, or communicate that he is the king, or the moral leader of Iranian people, unlike what some people expect him to do. It is our individual choice whether we would like to see him as our king & moral leader or not. Frankly, I look around I don’t see anyone better. Having said that, we do need to look for a leader, who would be involved in the political decision making.

Dear Blank,
For clarification I have never suggested RP should go to Iran....
I think it is up to Prince to communicate his leadership short term and long term tasks and possible strategy.
It is up to leadership of FREE Iran movement to manage public expectations and communicate difficulties, obstacles and their limitations.

Regards,
Cyrus

RP has already communicated his short/long term goals... that is, to see Iran free from Taazis. His strategy has always been non-violence, which many people think will not be effective in today's Iran. Until Iran is TOTTALY free from Taazi & Taazi lovers, and until we have determind what form of government we would like to have, his role will be limited to uniting people, and trying to let the world know about the atrocities commited in Iran. Many people, will not be happy with my explanation.... because they "expect" more from him.... I believe one of our Iranians traits is that we have unrealistic expectations, and no matter what RP does, it is not enough....

Last edited by blank on Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Has Washington found its Iranian Chalabi? Reply with quote

espandyar wrote:

Has Washington found its Iranian Chalabi?

October 06, 2006
Mother Jones
Laura Rozen

http://motherjones.com/news/feature/2006/11/fakhravar.html
October 6, 2006

This past summer, an op-ed appeared in the Washington Post under the byline of Richard Perle, the influential former Pentagon adviser who was a chief booster of Ahmed Chalabi in the run-up to the war in Iraq. As he had prior to the invasion of Iraq, Perle urged the Bush administration to shun appeasement and take an uncompromising stand toward Tehran; as with Iraq, he argued that a hard line was critical to help the population overthrow a brutal regime. And once again, Perle had an exile leader he wanted America to know about: Amir Abbas Fakhravar, “an Iranian dissident student leader who escaped first from Tehran’s notorious Evin prison, then, after months in hiding, from Iran.”

Fakhravar, Perle wrote, had believed George W. Bush’s promise to Muslim dissidents that “when you stand for liberty, we will stand with you.” Now, as the administration was mulling whether to negotiate with Iran, Perle worried that “the proponents of accommodation with Tehran will regard the struggle for freedom in Iran as an obstacle to their new diplomacy.”

It was a rousing call to arms for conservatives, many of whom are convinced that American interests in the Middle East depend on fomenting an uprising in Iran, and who have been frustrated in their search for just the right allies. The Iranian opposition is deeply fractured, and a number of its leading figures are explicitly against U.S. intervention. Iran’s best-known dissident, journalist Akbar Ganji, rejected invitations to meet with administration officials on a recent U.S. visit, and asked instead to see the United Nations’ Kofi Annan and Noam Chomsky. “I advocate change of the regime in Iran,” Ganji told me in July. “But that regime must be changed by Iranians themselves.”

Enter Fakhravar, who is more inclined to say exactly what the hawks want to hear. He told me that Iran’s president wants to wipe Israel off the map, and that “any movement or any action whatsoever” by the United States would “help or enhance the people to rise up.” All the student movement in Iran needed to overthrow the regime, he said, was “a little bit of coordination, organization, and training.”

A virtual unknown both inside and outside Iran when he arrived in the United States in May, Fakhravar has in the months since then ascended to prominence at a dizzying clip. By midsummer he was rushing from testifying on Capitol Hill one moment to an Iran opposition gathering at the White House the next, meeting regularly with policymakers and influential advisers, chatting with the former Shah’s son on his cell phone, and generally being touted as the young, idealistic face of the movement to overthrow the mullahs.

But Fakhravar may be a false messiah. In interviews with more than a dozen Iranian opposition figures, some of them former political prisoners, a different picture emerged—one of an opportunist being pushed to the fore by Iran hawks, a reputed jailhouse snitch who was locked up for nonpolitical offenses but reinvented himself as a student activist and political prisoner once behind bars. Fakhravar and his supporters vehemently deny such allegations, saying that the attacks are motivated by petty jealousy and a vendetta by Fakhravar’s enemies on the Iranian left.

For those like Perle who want the United States to eschew diplomacy in favor of backing regime change, Fakhravar is an essential link in the argument for confrontation with Iran. Rather than reminding Americans of Chalabi, who is now known to have orchestrated much of the Bush administration’s bad wmd intelligence, they’d like to summon memories of the 1980s, when Ronald Reagan sought to embolden and unify dissidents in the Soviet Union. But by choosing Fakhravar, they may have inadvertently accomplished the opposite, exposing the ruptures in the pro-democracy movement and throwing into question the notion that America’s problems with Tehran will be solved by a saffron revolution.

By all accounts, Perle’s rapport with Fakhravar started more than two years ago, when Fakhravar was in and out of Evin, the infamous Tehran political prison where Canadian journalist Zahra Kazemi was tortured to death in 2003. From prison, Fakhravar had been calling the Persian-language pro-monarchist, anti-regime satellite stations broadcast from Los Angeles. Manda Shahbazi, an L.A.-based businesswoman and exile activist, told me that she heard one of those calls, was moved by Fakhravar’s plight, and managed to contact him. She then talked to Perle, who promptly mentioned the Fakhravar case at an Iranian opposition forum in Los Angeles in May 2004. In short order, Fakhravar called Shahbazi and asked to be put in touch with Perle. When Fakhravar left Iran this past April, his first stop was a Dubai hotel room where he met Perle.

“In my eyes I saw the prince of light,” Fakhravar told the New York Sun a few weeks later. “I could see in his eyes he is worried for our people as well as the American people and this is very important and this is very special.” Perle helped arrange for Fakhravar’s entry into the United States and organized a private lunch for him at the American Enterprise Institute; among those attending were State Department and Pentagon officials, selected journalists, and prominent Iran hawk Michael Ledeen.

[IMG]http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2006/11/fakhravar200x156.jpg
[/IMG]

Shahbazi, meanwhile, was working to connect Fakhravar with top exile leaders in L.A. and around the world. She had platinum contacts through her father, Yaddolah Shahbazi, a prominent businessman who served as an adviser to the Iranian prime minister during the twilight of the Shah’s regime (and who, for Iran trivia fans, launched a shipping company together with Iranian and Israeli investors that at one point employed Manucher Ghorbanifar, the Iran-Contra arms dealer).

Shahbazi also did some contact-building of her own: In August 2005, according to filings with the State Department’s Office of Protocol, she gave Liz Cheney—the vice president’s daughter and a senior State Department official overseeing the Iran-Syria Operations Group—a Persian carpet valued at $4,000, as well as a glass plate engraved with a quote from Dick Cheney about Iran. The rug was among the dozen most valuable gifts bestowed on U.S. officials by foreigners in 2005. When I asked Shahbazi about it, she said she didn’t remember it.

In July of this year, Fakhravar joined Ledeen and other Iran experts in testifying before a Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs subcommittee; that appearance caused him to miss the gathering of Iranian opposition activists the White House had convened that day. It was an only slightly extraordinary day in a schedule replete with official meetings and engagements at Iranian opposition gatherings, where Fakhravar regales audiences with tales of his time in various prisons and his escape, along with his plans to unite student activists.

For Mohsen Sazegara, it all seems a bit much. A soft-spoken Iranian dissident thrice imprisoned in Iran and now based in Boston, Sazegara was reluctant to comment on Fakhravar, saying he had nothing against the young man. When pressed, he told me that Fakhravar was at best a marginal player whose life story has been exaggerated by his allies. For instance, no one “escapes” from Evin prison, Sazegara said; instead, Iranian political prisoners can apply for temporary furloughs, and on one of them, Fakhravar simply decided not to go back. Cina Dabestani, a Virginia-based exile who sometimes translates for Fakhravar, told me that Fakhravar attended law school while in prison, and, at Shahbazi’s urging, went awol after an exam. His escape from Iran—which Fakhravar has claimed was undertaken despite an order to have him shot on sight—involved a regular flight from Iran to Dubai, according to several sources.

Iranian journalists and former fellow inmates also claim Fakhravar was never a political prisoner to begin with, but was locked up for a nonpolitical crime—“unchaste acts” involving fellow students—and then cultivated friendships with student dissidents. “Student circles and journalistic circles don’t recognize him as a student leader,” says Najmeh Bozorgmehr, the Financial Times’ Tehran correspondent who closely followed the 1999 pro-democracy student protests, the Tiananmen Square of Fakhravar’s generation of Iranian dissidents. Adds Hassan Zarezadeh, a journalist and human rights activist who now lives in Canada, “He accidentally got arrested and got interested in politics and opportunistically tried to get close to the center of power and get famous that way. He was never part of the student movement.”

Even more suspicious to some dissidents is the story of how Fakhravar first connected with his U.S. supporters. “I have been arrested 12 times since 1999, and I have never seen anything like this,” says Zarezadeh. “It’s impossible for a political prisoner to have a phone,” he adds, let alone use it to call the foreign press, the exile broadcasters, and a top Pentagon adviser.

Some dissidents believe they do have an explanation: “As far as the other political prisoners were concerned, he was an antenna for the security of the prison and for the security services,” Bina Darab-Zand, a recently released human rights activist, told me when I reached him in Tehran in late August. Nasser Zarafshan, one of Iran’s most prominent human rights attorneys and also recently released from Evin, echoed that claim. “He has been working for the police,” Zarafshan says. “In prison, everybody knows that.” Perle’s office referred questions to Shahbazi, who told me that Fakhravar got the phone by paying bribes; she refused to discuss details of his escape from Iran, saying that it would make it harder for other political prisoners to get out.

I met Fakhravar recently in an office lent to him by the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies, a small Washington think tank that promotes U.S. intervention to support reform in the Middle East. With his gray suit, freshly shorn hair, and eager-to-please manner, the 31-year-old cut a figure remarkably different from the Fabio-like photos on his website (whose tag line reads “Love, Iran, Freedom”); he could have been a newly minted Ph.D. moonlighting on the Hill. But there was also an air of anxiety about him, a kind of Talented Mr. Ripley quality, as if he were struggling to perform a role. He spent the better part of an hour recounting his life, primarily a series of prison stints he said he had endured starting when he was 17 and in medical school. During the ’99 uprising, he said, he had been serving his compulsory military service in a Tehran clinic, but had managed to be in contact with the student protesters.

When I asked about his critics’ claims, Fakhravar threw his arms up in frustration. He said that among Iranian political prisoners, there is deep division between liberal and leftist blocks, and that Zarafshan and other leftists had “started rumors” about him that were “all false.” He opened his laptop to show photos of himself on a New York street talking with the dissident Ganji, then autographed a copy of his book, Scraps of Prison, printed by an L.A.-based Persian publisher. It is one of three books for which Fakhravar says he has been persecuted, though none of them appear to be widely known. On his website, Fakhravar says he was on the shortlist for a literary prize, the Paulo Coelho award, but there is no evidence that such an award exists—a point first raised on the blog “Moon of Alabama.”

Fakhravar urged me to call exile leaders, including the Shah’s son, who would vouch for him. The people he claims as his allies back in Iran, however, seem less than eager to embrace him. Ahmad Batebi, one of Iran’s best-known student leaders—pictured on the jacket of Scraps of Prison alongside Fakhravar—has distanced himself from him on his blog. Another key activist whom Fakhravar says he worked with, Akbar Mohammadi (the two are shown together in a picture on Fakhravar’s website), recently died on a hunger strike in Evin prison. When I tracked down his sister, Nasrin, she emailed me that Fakhravar and her brother were “not very close.” Fakhravar, she wrote, “is a young man seeking for fame.”

Laura Rozen reports on national security and foreign policy from Washington, D.C as a senior correspondent for The American Prospect and a contributor to other publications. She writes the blog War and Piece.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My comments on this!

1)I believe there are some good people around Farkhravar with very good intentions. Oldman is an excellent example.

2) I also believe that there are leftist who try to discredit Fakhravar, like Mohammad’s sister who is Haze komonist kargari.

I also support the line Fakhravar is pursuing!

Now,

I do not see fakhravar as a student LEADER. I know for fact that he has dismissed well established organizations that has been involved in the student leadership.
I also dislike that fakhravar is depending on the Hawks and have compromised with them. To have paid office with paid job is very alarming.

I do believe that the opposition can have short term cooperation with different
entities but as long as they are in line with our national interest.
Ledeen and his crew have proven that they are not in line with our interest.
Even though MPG members have had speeches in AEI we strongly objected Ledeens conference and mobilized an international protest, which many believe was end of ledeen in Iranian communities.
This is a exampel of a healthy opposition.

Fakhravar have too many claims that he cannot prove, it is yet to be seen any activity inside Iran by fakhravar. Yet he claims to be the leader, which is nonsense! As far as I know the only group who has publicly showed activity inside Iran is MPG but I hope to see more people put their money where there mouth is.

I wished that Fakhravar could have pursued a line where he as a simple activist coordinated with other groups involved, but I think he got out of touch with reality. I have stated many times and I will do it again, kas nakharad poshte man joz nakhone angoshte man! Perle, Ledeen....
are not Iranians and care only so much for Iran and Iranians.

Fakhravar have made some fatal mistakes which has been very harmful for his reputation and the movement.In fact his mistakes will even hurt groups like MPG who purse the line of regime change. In order to organize for a free Iran, activists must rely on each other as end of the day Ledeen or perle will not be there to save one!
While I dismiss some point in the article unfortunately for Iran, I must agree on some valid points!
blank

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Washington found its Iranian Chalabi? Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by blank on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
blank

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author.

Last edited by blank on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Iranian Boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, for god sake do not trust Davar in RangaRang TV. He is a charlatan who has discredited and attack every person in the Iranian opposition, from left to right, from monarchist to republican.

mr sos97, don´t ever care about what RangaRang says. Davar is an opportunist, using every opportunity to criticize Reza Pahlavi, sometimes using hardline monarchist arguments, trying to get credibility.
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Washington found its Iranian Chalabi? Reply with quote

blank wrote:
cyrus wrote:
espandyar wrote:

Has Washington found its Iranian Chalabi?

October 06, 2006
Mother Jones
Laura Rozen

http://motherjones.com/news/feature/2006/11/fakhravar.html
October 6, 2006

This past summer, an op-ed appeared in the Washington Post under the byline of Richard Perle, the influential former Pentagon adviser who was a chief booster of Ahmed Chalabi in the run-up to the war in Iraq. As he had prior to the invasion of Iraq, Perle urged the Bush administration to shun appeasement and take an uncompromising stand toward Tehran; as with Iraq, he argued that a hard line was critical to help the population overthrow a brutal regime. And once again, Perle had an exile leader he wanted America to know about: Amir Abbas Fakhravar, “an Iranian dissident student leader who escaped first from Tehran’s notorious Evin prison, then, after months in hiding, from Iran.”

Fakhravar, Perle wrote, had believed George W. Bush’s promise to Muslim dissidents that “when you stand for liberty, we will stand with you.” Now, as the administration was mulling whether to negotiate with Iran, Perle worried that “the proponents of accommodation with Tehran will regard the struggle for freedom in Iran as an obstacle to their new diplomacy.”

It was a rousing call to arms for conservatives, many of whom are convinced that American interests in the Middle East depend on fomenting an uprising in Iran, and who have been frustrated in their search for just the right allies. The Iranian opposition is deeply fractured, and a number of its leading figures are explicitly against U.S. intervention. Iran’s best-known dissident, journalist Akbar Ganji, rejected invitations to meet with administration officials on a recent U.S. visit, and asked instead to see the United Nations’ Kofi Annan and Noam Chomsky. “I advocate change of the regime in Iran,” Ganji told me in July. “But that regime must be changed by Iranians themselves.”

Enter Fakhravar, who is more inclined to say exactly what the hawks want to hear. He told me that Iran’s president wants to wipe Israel off the map, and that “any movement or any action whatsoever” by the United States would “help or enhance the people to rise up.” All the student movement in Iran needed to overthrow the regime, he said, was “a little bit of coordination, organization, and training.”

A virtual unknown both inside and outside Iran when he arrived in the United States in May, Fakhravar has in the months since then ascended to prominence at a dizzying clip. By midsummer he was rushing from testifying on Capitol Hill one moment to an Iran opposition gathering at the White House the next, meeting regularly with policymakers and influential advisers, chatting with the former Shah’s son on his cell phone, and generally being touted as the young, idealistic face of the movement to overthrow the mullahs.

But Fakhravar may be a false messiah. In interviews with more than a dozen Iranian opposition figures, some of them former political prisoners, a different picture emerged—one of an opportunist being pushed to the fore by Iran hawks, a reputed jailhouse snitch who was locked up for nonpolitical offenses but reinvented himself as a student activist and political prisoner once behind bars. Fakhravar and his supporters vehemently deny such allegations, saying that the attacks are motivated by petty jealousy and a vendetta by Fakhravar’s enemies on the Iranian left.

For those like Perle who want the United States to eschew diplomacy in favor of backing regime change, Fakhravar is an essential link in the argument for confrontation with Iran. Rather than reminding Americans of Chalabi, who is now known to have orchestrated much of the Bush administration’s bad wmd intelligence, they’d like to summon memories of the 1980s, when Ronald Reagan sought to embolden and unify dissidents in the Soviet Union. But by choosing Fakhravar, they may have inadvertently accomplished the opposite, exposing the ruptures in the pro-democracy movement and throwing into question the notion that America’s problems with Tehran will be solved by a saffron revolution.

By all accounts, Perle’s rapport with Fakhravar started more than two years ago, when Fakhravar was in and out of Evin, the infamous Tehran political prison where Canadian journalist Zahra Kazemi was tortured to death in 2003. From prison, Fakhravar had been calling the Persian-language pro-monarchist, anti-regime satellite stations broadcast from Los Angeles. Manda Shahbazi, an L.A.-based businesswoman and exile activist, told me that she heard one of those calls, was moved by Fakhravar’s plight, and managed to contact him. She then talked to Perle, who promptly mentioned the Fakhravar case at an Iranian opposition forum in Los Angeles in May 2004. In short order, Fakhravar called Shahbazi and asked to be put in touch with Perle. When Fakhravar left Iran this past April, his first stop was a Dubai hotel room where he met Perle.

“In my eyes I saw the prince of light,” Fakhravar told the New York Sun a few weeks later. “I could see in his eyes he is worried for our people as well as the American people and this is very important and this is very special.” Perle helped arrange for Fakhravar’s entry into the United States and organized a private lunch for him at the American Enterprise Institute; among those attending were State Department and Pentagon officials, selected journalists, and prominent Iran hawk Michael Ledeen.

[IMG]http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2006/11/fakhravar200x156.jpg
[/IMG]

Shahbazi, meanwhile, was working to connect Fakhravar with top exile leaders in L.A. and around the world. She had platinum contacts through her father, Yaddolah Shahbazi, a prominent businessman who served as an adviser to the Iranian prime minister during the twilight of the Shah’s regime (and who, for Iran trivia fans, launched a shipping company together with Iranian and Israeli investors that at one point employed Manucher Ghorbanifar, the Iran-Contra arms dealer).

Shahbazi also did some contact-building of her own: In August 2005, according to filings with the State Department’s Office of Protocol, she gave Liz Cheney—the vice president’s daughter and a senior State Department official overseeing the Iran-Syria Operations Group—a Persian carpet valued at $4,000, as well as a glass plate engraved with a quote from Dick Cheney about Iran. The rug was among the dozen most valuable gifts bestowed on U.S. officials by foreigners in 2005. When I asked Shahbazi about it, she said she didn’t remember it.

In July of this year, Fakhravar joined Ledeen and other Iran experts in testifying before a Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs subcommittee; that appearance caused him to miss the gathering of Iranian opposition activists the White House had convened that day. It was an only slightly extraordinary day in a schedule replete with official meetings and engagements at Iranian opposition gatherings, where Fakhravar regales audiences with tales of his time in various prisons and his escape, along with his plans to unite student activists.

For Mohsen Sazegara, it all seems a bit much. A soft-spoken Iranian dissident thrice imprisoned in Iran and now based in Boston, Sazegara was reluctant to comment on Fakhravar, saying he had nothing against the young man. When pressed, he told me that Fakhravar was at best a marginal player whose life story has been exaggerated by his allies. For instance, no one “escapes” from Evin prison, Sazegara said; instead, Iranian political prisoners can apply for temporary furloughs, and on one of them, Fakhravar simply decided not to go back. Cina Dabestani, a Virginia-based exile who sometimes translates for Fakhravar, told me that Fakhravar attended law school while in prison, and, at Shahbazi’s urging, went awol after an exam. His escape from Iran—which Fakhravar has claimed was undertaken despite an order to have him shot on sight—involved a regular flight from Iran to Dubai, according to several sources.

Iranian journalists and former fellow inmates also claim Fakhravar was never a political prisoner to begin with, but was locked up for a nonpolitical crime—“unchaste acts” involving fellow students—and then cultivated friendships with student dissidents. “Student circles and journalistic circles don’t recognize him as a student leader,” says Najmeh Bozorgmehr, the Financial Times’ Tehran correspondent who closely followed the 1999 pro-democracy student protests, the Tiananmen Square of Fakhravar’s generation of Iranian dissidents. Adds Hassan Zarezadeh, a journalist and human rights activist who now lives in Canada, “He accidentally got arrested and got interested in politics and opportunistically tried to get close to the center of power and get famous that way. He was never part of the student movement.”

Even more suspicious to some dissidents is the story of how Fakhravar first connected with his U.S. supporters. “I have been arrested 12 times since 1999, and I have never seen anything like this,” says Zarezadeh. “It’s impossible for a political prisoner to have a phone,” he adds, let alone use it to call the foreign press, the exile broadcasters, and a top Pentagon adviser.

Some dissidents believe they do have an explanation: “As far as the other political prisoners were concerned, he was an antenna for the security of the prison and for the security services,” Bina Darab-Zand, a recently released human rights activist, told me when I reached him in Tehran in late August. Nasser Zarafshan, one of Iran’s most prominent human rights attorneys and also recently released from Evin, echoed that claim. “He has been working for the police,” Zarafshan says. “In prison, everybody knows that.” Perle’s office referred questions to Shahbazi, who told me that Fakhravar got the phone by paying bribes; she refused to discuss details of his escape from Iran, saying that it would make it harder for other political prisoners to get out.

I met Fakhravar recently in an office lent to him by the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies, a small Washington think tank that promotes U.S. intervention to support reform in the Middle East. With his gray suit, freshly shorn hair, and eager-to-please manner, the 31-year-old cut a figure remarkably different from the Fabio-like photos on his website (whose tag line reads “Love, Iran, Freedom”); he could have been a newly minted Ph.D. moonlighting on the Hill. But there was also an air of anxiety about him, a kind of Talented Mr. Ripley quality, as if he were struggling to perform a role. He spent the better part of an hour recounting his life, primarily a series of prison stints he said he had endured starting when he was 17 and in medical school. During the ’99 uprising, he said, he had been serving his compulsory military service in a Tehran clinic, but had managed to be in contact with the student protesters.

When I asked about his critics’ claims, Fakhravar threw his arms up in frustration. He said that among Iranian political prisoners, there is deep division between liberal and leftist blocks, and that Zarafshan and other leftists had “started rumors” about him that were “all false.” He opened his laptop to show photos of himself on a New York street talking with the dissident Ganji, then autographed a copy of his book, Scraps of Prison, printed by an L.A.-based Persian publisher. It is one of three books for which Fakhravar says he has been persecuted, though none of them appear to be widely known. On his website, Fakhravar says he was on the shortlist for a literary prize, the Paulo Coelho award, but there is no evidence that such an award exists—a point first raised on the blog “Moon of Alabama.”

Fakhravar urged me to call exile leaders, including the Shah’s son, who would vouch for him. The people he claims as his allies back in Iran, however, seem less than eager to embrace him. Ahmad Batebi, one of Iran’s best-known student leaders—pictured on the jacket of Scraps of Prison alongside Fakhravar—has distanced himself from him on his blog. Another key activist whom Fakhravar says he worked with, Akbar Mohammadi (the two are shown together in a picture on Fakhravar’s website), recently died on a hunger strike in Evin prison. When I tracked down his sister, Nasrin, she emailed me that Fakhravar and her brother were “not very close.” Fakhravar, she wrote, “is a young man seeking for fame.”

Laura Rozen reports on national security and foreign policy from Washington, D.C as a senior correspondent for The American Prospect and a contributor to other publications. She writes the blog War and Piece.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My comments on this!

1)I believe there are some good people around Farkhravar with very good intentions. Oldman is an excellent example.

2) I also believe that there are leftist who try to discredit Fakhravar, like Mohammad’s sister who is Haze komonist kargari.

I also support the line Fakhravar is pursuing!

Now,

I do not see fakhravar as a student LEADER. I know for fact that he has dismissed well established organizations that has been involved in the student leadership.
I also dislike that fakhravar is depending on the Hawks and have compromised with them. To have paid office with paid job is very alarming.

I do believe that the opposition can have short term cooperation with different
entities but as long as they are in line with our national interest.
Ledeen and his crew have proven that they are not in line with our interest.
Even though MPG members have had speeches in AEI we strongly objected Ledeens conference and mobilized an international protest, which many believe was end of ledeen in Iranian communities.
This is a exampel of a healthy opposition.

Fakhravar have too many claims that he cannot prove, it is yet to be seen any activity inside Iran by fakhravar. Yet he claims to be the leader, which is nonsense! As far as I know the only group who has publicly showed activity inside Iran is MPG but I hope to see more people put their money where there mouth is.

I wished that Fakhravar could have pursued a line where he as a simple activist coordinated with other groups involved, but I think he got out of touch with reality. I have stated many times and I will do it again, kas nakharad poshte man joz nakhone angoshte man! Perle, Ledeen....
are not Iranians and care only so much for Iran and Iranians.

Fakhravar have made some fatal mistakes which has been very harmful for his reputation and the movement.In fact his mistakes will even hurt groups like MPG who purse the line of regime change. In order to organize for a free Iran, activists must rely on each other as end of the day Ledeen or perle will not be there to save one!
While I dismiss some point in the article unfortunately for Iran, I must agree on some valid points!

I don’t know much about Laura Rozen (reporter on national security), however from her writing I get the same sense as I do from the writings of the two leftist (mullah oriented) professors, Beaman & Foote,--Defamatory-- One of the traits of the left, whether JM or communist party or tudehee, and Tazi lovers; is to “divide and conquer”. Her sarcastic and negative way of portraying Fakhravar is pretty much self explanatory.
Everything she says is without hard evidence or any bases, only based on heresy or rumors of the left. To Rozen; Fakhravar “a virtual unknown” only indicates her lack of knowledge about Fakhravar, for a long time it was known to many activists about his imprisonment, his mother’s plight to the world to help his son, before he would be executed in jail for some stupid reason, since ragheads don’t need any reason to kill. The comparison with Chalaby is another ridicules analogy! as the rest of her article. Chalaby tried to convince the US to attack his country in order to get rid of Sadam, and perhaps to become the next Hamid Karzai…. No where in his writings or speeches Fakhravar had ever asked the US to attack Iran… only to support the opposition groups in overthrowing the filthy raghead government…. Her idiotic writing goes on about saying “he may be a false messiah”. Nobody said, he was one! Except for Rozen. Then she interviews all the people from the left and comes up with a final conclusion that he was not “part of the student movement” Fakhravar never said he was a student but he was in contact and support of the movement… Aryo Pirouznia is not a student, but his movement is called “Student Movement Coordination Committee for Democracy in Iran.” Yes, he did escape when he was on leave from prison, Oh… but according to his critics that “was not an escape”….and he is a “power hungry seeking fame”, because he talked to Perle….. Anybody talking to Perle or Ledeen these days should be shunned!! Their reputation will be soiled. Pretty much all of Rozen’s sources are left (Zarafshan) or pure Commi (Nasrin Mohammadi), not to mention the Tazi Sazegara.
That brings me to MPG, which is not the organization it originally was established to be when it started years ago, in honor of Dr. Bakhtiar. There was no banner, whether you were a republican or monarchist you were welcomed and the purpose was to unite. Now, none of their ideas represent that of Dr. Bakhtiar. It is handled by bunch of ideologues that remind me of JM 30 years ago. It is either a republic or none for Iran….
In one website I asked Espandyar, what will happen if people chose a democratic constitutional monarchy? Will you form an insurgency?…. Well he had no response… just “could not waste his time” with these silly questions!! I fear the ideologues as much as Tazi’s; for the obvious reason that they put their ideology before the welfare of the people.
I am not saying Fakhravar is the best man for the job, but he has not done or said anything to deserve to be vilified the way some people have done. Unfortunately many Iranians, especially the Tazis & the leftists, are like vultures or Hyenas, once they see a down carcass, they make sure it’s eaten up to the bone.

Dear Blank,

Due to the fact that I don’t know all the facts regarding Mr. Fakhravar background therefore I don’t know who is right or wrong in the article of Laura Rozen. For the reason that I don’t know many facts about many people and their obstacles I am not in the position to make any judgment in favor or against them … therefore I am repeating the following recommendation to avoid dependency on any single person or single group in future for your possible consideration .

If the West is looking for a single person or group to promote them as a dominating leader of Iranian people, is not going to work, and is considered as the wrong model .
It is natural that the ActivistChat is opposing to promote any individual or group as the only alternative. This is by no means opposition to RP, Fakhravar or ….
We are after creating democratic institutions to replace Taazi Islamist regime with free society and secular democracy.

At this critical moment in our history, it is absolutely essential to mobilize all Iranian forces and strengthen the opposition leadership in order to free our homeland. There are many Iranian groups and democratic organizations that they are working hard and making sacrifices for freeing our homeland in order to replace the Islamist regime with a free society and secular democracy.
The world has changed and time of promoting only one person as a leader of very complex Iranian oppositions and 70 million Iranian people as a hostage to the Islamist regime can not be acceptable solution for many Iranian opposition groups and individual activists. In these circumstance the important decisions should be made through team effort by democratically elected Iranian council outside Iran . The US should consider to help creating Iranian Parliament and Leadership council Outside Iran and avoid past mistakes.

Our constituents recommendation for electing members of Iranian Parliament and Leadership council Outside Iran are all those organizations and individuals who believe in the following Articles:

cyrus wrote:

ActivistChat 2006 Guideline Framework

1. Cyrus the Great (585-529 BC), is the founding father of Persia. ActivistChat members admire Cyrus The Great as the greatest liberator of all time for defining the First Declaration of Human Rights over 2500 years ago and the humane treatment of vast empire he ruled. Professor Richard Frye of Harvard University said; "Surely the concept of One World, the fusion of Peoples and Cultures into oneness was one of his important legacies".

2. Ferdowsi is the father of Iranian Renaissance, neo-Iranian cultural awareness, and the Shahnameh is credited with the revival of Iranian identity.

3. The "War on Terror" which is a subset of "War on Taazi" UNWINNABLE and the world peace can not be achieved as long as the Unelected Taazi Islamists Terror and Torture Masters are in power in Iran. The TAAZI terror state and fear society can not create peace and stability.
To avoid War or Nuclear war or another disaster like Chernobyl nuclear disaster 20 years ago , ( Animation of Nuclear Bunker Buster: Destructive impact on civilian population in Iran and beyond )
our message to Iranian people inside Iran: General Strike Now, our message to Security Forces (Police, Pasdaran and Military) must act now for regime change and replacing it with Free society and Secular Democracy. The Iranian people have already spoken by boycotting Elections. The Armed forces must choose between defending and serving the people or serving Mullahs. This is up to armed and security forces to choose between SHAME and HONOR, serving Mullahs or their Sisters, Brothers, Fathers & Mothers who pay their salary.
To avoid war Iranian people of all ages do not have any choice other than be prepared to fight to free their homeland from Viruses of Iranian society whether the armed forces serve them or serve the enemy of freedom and free society. Iranian people should be prepared for final battle for freeing their homeland from TAAZI and must not forget that their FOREVER leader Cyrus the Great died in battlefield in 530 BC at the age of 60 and not in bed.

4. Iranian people can decide about Nuclear Energy, Nuclear Research and Atomic Bomb after the regime change when they have established stable secular democracy and FREE society until then Iran should avoid any kind of Nuclear research program, resulting to acquire Atomic Bomb, under Islamist Taazi occupation and control.

5. Territorial integrity and national sovereignty of Iran.

6. Complete separation of religion from the State.

7. Acceptance of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

8. Free, open and democratic referendum to elect the type of the new Government of Iran in the post-IRI era.

9. Minimum standard of living for all citizens of Iran and equal opportunity for all citizens to benefit from country's national wealth.

10. Work within high standard of code of ethics not to fight with other political groups or fellow FREE Iran Activists unless they are violating one of the key principles or moving against the concept of Free Society and secular democracy.

11. We are Free Iran Activists and Watch Group monitoring high government officials, Journalists , writers and scholars words and their actions based on the following direction from James Madison:
"If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men! over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself. A dependence on the people is, no doubt, the primary control on the government; but experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions. "
The Federalist No. 51 (James Madison).

12. Support and promote people, groups and leadership who are making positive contributions for Human Rights, Regime Change in Iran, Free
Iran, Free Society and Secular democracy from progressive Center, Right and Left.

We thank all compatriots and organizations who contributed for defining part of above Guideline Framework for Human Rights, Regime Change in Iran, Free Iran, Free Society and Secular Democracy .

This is one of the possible way to create a critical mass faster, get closer to the FREE IRAN Inflection Point, establish free society and secular democracy with minimum bloodshed.

This is an open forum suggestion for ActivistChat members discussion, enhancement and public awareness.

Last edited by cyrus on Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
blank

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author.

Last edited by blank on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iranian Boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heared many people are suspicious against Fakhravar but personally I don´t have proof enough to make an own judgement by yet.

I have been searching google news for Fakhravar. Unlike the Tazi supporter Akbar Ganji who says US should not help anybody and talk with Tehran, Fakhravar has asked for US support to overthrow the regime.

From what I have read so far about Fakhravar´s interviews, the only wrong thing he has said is that he supports a military attack. But I neither support him nor am against him as long as there are no more evident facts who he is or who he supports.
espandyar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That brings me to MPG, which is not the organization it originally was established to be when it started years ago, in honor of Dr. Bakhtiar. There was no banner, whether you were a republican or monarchist you were welcomed and the purpose was to unite. Now, none of their ideas represent that of Dr. Bakhtiar. It is handled by bunch of ideologues that remind me of JM 30 years ago. It is either a republic or none for Iran….
In one website I asked Espandyar, what will happen if people chose a democratic constitutional monarchy? Will you form an insurgency?…. Well he had no response… just “could not waste his time” with these silly questions!! I fear the ideologues as much as Tazi’s; for the obvious reason that they put their ideology before the welfare of the people.
I am not saying Fakhravar is the best man for the job, but he has not done or said anything to deserve to be vilified the way some people have done. Unfortunately many Iranians, especially the Tazis & the leftists, are like vultures or Hyenas, once they see a down carcass, they make sure it’s eaten up to the bone.

Blank if you continue to lie like you have done here this will be my very last reply to you and I will ignore you in the future.
One must be a coward to make up things like you have done, you better reconcider yourself.

For once MPG never was formed for the memory of Dr.Bakhtiyar.
I have no time to lecture about how and why is was formed but you can find it on MPG website. Where the hell do you find these stuff??? You must have a very good imagination.
For the record IRan comes above everything else. If there is no Iran what is the use of the ideologies?
Again if you like to have exchange with me get your facts right and dont make up things then we might have a healthy conversation.
blank

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

espandyar wrote:
Quote:

Blank if you continue to lie like you have done here this will be my very last reply to you and I will ignore you in the future.
One must be a coward to make up things like you have done, you better reconcider yourself.

I have no time to lecture about how and why is was formed but you can find it on MPG website. Where the hell do you find these stuff??? You must have a very good imagination.
For the record IRan comes above everything else. If there is no Iran what is the use of the ideologies?
Again if you like to have exchange with me get your facts right and dont make up things then we might have a healthy conversation.

I don’t exchange with rude and condescending people like you… no longer.
Regarding MPG, which is what originally I heard/was told … if you disagree, you can politely disagree, instead of being disrespectful and saying I “lie” ….which is not true.
If you don’t want to elaborate about MPG, that is actually fine with me, because I am not interested in your only “Republic” for Iran………
And this is my last & only response to you.
blank

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iranian Boy wrote:
I have heared many people are suspicious against Fakhravar but personally I don´t have proof enough to make an own judgement by yet.

I have been searching google news for Fakhravar. Unlike the Tazi supporter Akbar Ganji who says US should not help anybody and talk with Tehran, Fakhravar has asked for US support to overthrow the regime.

From what I have read so far about Fakhravar´s interviews, the only wrong thing he has said is that he supports a military attack. But I neither support him nor am against him as long as there are no more evident facts who he is or who he supports.

Dear IB:
I actually haven't heard him saying he supports the "military attack", but if he did say that, believe me, from what I have heard coming from inside of Iran, there are so many people living in such a despair and misery that they actually want the invasion. To everyones surprise even Khomeini's grandson, Hossein Khomeini said this ""Freedom must come to Iran in any possible way, whether through internal or external developments. If you were a prisoner, what would you do? I want someone to break the prison." That statement raised a lot of eyebrows in Iran, but grandma Batool came to the rescue and said he is coming home & if they dare to question him she will make a big scene! in other words they'll pay for it. So, Hossein got home untouched!
I do support several opposition groups such as: SOSIran, Activischat, SMCCDI, as long as these groups/individuals put Iran above their personal interest and ideology....

Last edited by blank on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Ka Dar Tarighat Ma Kafarist Reply with quote

blank wrote:
espandyar wrote:
Quote:

I don’t exchange with rude and condescending people like you… no longer.
Regarding MPG, which is what originally I heard/was told … if you disagree, you can politely disagree, instead of being disrespectful and saying I “lie” ….which is not true.
If you don’t want to elaborate about MPG, that is actually fine with me, because I am not interested in your only “Republic” for Iran………
And this is my last & only response to you.

Dear Espandyar and Blank,
I am sure both of you are hard working freedom-loving Iranians who are fighting hard for freeing our homeland during one of the most difficult inflection point of our history with 100s of problems and issues. Please don’t forget both of you believe in FREE Iran, Free Society, Secular Democracy …. and 100s of other items that makes our unity very strong. Our life is very short and our time is limited, let us focus on what we agree and how to improve strategies and plans to FREE our homeland from Tazi forces ASAP with minimum bloodshed….
A Poem From Hafaz To Remember :
Bedin Ravagh ZaBar Jad Naveshteand Ba Zar
Ka Jooz Nakoei Ahleh Kherad (Karm?) Nakhad Mand
Vafa Konim Va Malamat Keshim Va Khosh Bashim
Ka Dar Tarighat Ma Kafarist Rangidan

In order to change the subject may I suggest to both of you watch the following Video by our fellow Iranian-American researcher Mr. Cyrus Kar who has spent his own money and 4 years of his life to produce the following Video…
If you like his Video please recommend it to others and write a note for him in Google or post it here for his great work with limited budget and a lot of hard work…..

cyrus wrote:
In Search of Cyrus the Great - Cyrus Kar- Spenta Productions
11 min 23 sec - Oct 6, 2006

To Watch This Video Please Click Here

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5468494210860637483&q=Cyrus+The+Great&hl=en

Cyrus (580-529 BC) was the first Achaemenid Emperor. He founded Persia by uniting the two original Iranian Tribes- the Medes and the ... all » Persians. Although he was known to be a great conqueror, who at one point controlled one of the greatest Empires ever seen, he is best remembered for his unprecedented tolerance and magnanimous attitude towards those he defeated. Upon his victory over the Medes, he founded a government for his new kingdom, incorporating both Median and Persian nobles as civilian officials. The conquest of Asia Minor completed, he led his armies to the eastern frontiers. Hyrcania and Parthia were already part of the Median Kingdom. Further east, he conquered Drangiana, Arachosia,Margiana and Bactria. After crossing the Oxus, he reached the Jaxartes, where he built fortified towns with the object of defending the farthest frontier of his kingdom against nomadic tribes of Central Asia.

The victories to the east led him again to the west and sounded the hour for attack on Babylon and Egypt. When he conquered Babylon, he did so to cheers from the Jewish Community, who welcomed him as a liberator- he allowed the Jews to return to the promised Land. He showed great forbearance and respect towards the religious beliefs and cultural traditions of other races. These qualities earned him the respect and homage of all the people over whom he ruled.

Regards,
Cyrus

Last edited by cyrus on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
blank

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Cyrus, for the great clip..., I will forward it to others.
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blank wrote:
Thank you Cyrus, for the great clip..., I will forward it to others.

Many Thanks Blank

FOCUSING ON OUR REAL ENEMY IS THE BEST STRATEGY FOR FREE IRAN

AmirN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice clip, Cyrus. Thanks for posting it. I forwarded it to my friends.

A while ago I told you that Xenophon’s book on Cyrus was well read among the American Founding Fathers, and may have influenced them. You asked for a reference, but I told you I had only heard it on a historical program, not in an article.

This clip emphasizes that point as well. In the seventh minute, the film mentions what I told you about that influence. Anyway, it reminded me of the conversation we had before.

Take care,

Amir
I am Dariush the Great King, King of Kings, King of countries containing all kinds of men, King in this great earth far and wide, son of Hystaspes, an Achaemenian, a Persian, son of a Persian, an Aryan, having Aryan lineage

Naqshe Rostam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: