[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Letter to Prime Minister of Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
espandyar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Letter to Prime Minister of Canada Reply with quote

The Right Honourable Stephen Harper
Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa
K1A 0A2

Dear Right Honourable Prime Minister of Canada,

I am an Iranian/Canadian residing in Ottawa and the Director of the Human Rights Committee of Marze Por Gohar, an exiled political party that is striving for regime change and democracy in Iran. To begin with, I am writing to congratulate you on your victory in the recent elections. I know I am speaking for a large number of the Iranian Community when I say that we are pleased with the election results. If you recall, I was honoured to become acquainted with you a few years ago while demonstrating in front of the home of Mr. Mohammad Mousavi who was the ambassador of the Islamic Republic at that time. Your home was across from Mr. Mousavi’s and we were very pleased when you joined your wife in standing with us in support of our cause. I was quite impressed with you at that time and this eventually lead to my contribution of services to your campaign in the 2004 elections.

It was unfortunate that the Liberal Government had taken a soft approach towards the Islamic Republic of Iran (IRI) when they should have been uncompromising in light of the extreme human rights abuses, the pursuit of nuclear weapons, and the murder of the Canadian/Iranian Journalist Zahra Kazemi. Instead of taking a stand against these atrocities, the Liberal Government chose to yield in order to enter into lucrative business deals with the IRI. In fact, it was on the first anniversary of Ms. Kazemi’s death that the Right Honourable former Prime Minister Jean Chrétien went to Iran as an advisor for a Canadian oil company.

The Liberal Government had disappointed the Iranian Community on numerous occasions and I am extremely happy that we have a new and accountable government that takes the well being of all its citizens into consideration. As you may know, there has been great labour unrest in Iran in the past few weeks. I attended a protest in front of the Islamic republic’s Embassy on February 2, which was organized to support the bus drivers in Iran. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Canadian Labour Congress’s Executive Vice President Barbara Byers was also in attendance. I have been active in the resistance against the Islamic regime for four years and we had never had any person of that calibre attend our demonstrations. I was quite impressed by this and I hope that the Conservative Party will take the right step in relation to IRI.

In conclusion, I would like to congratulate you on your well deserved win once again, as well as reiterate that the Iranian people need the help of the International Community in removing the Islamic regime. I humbly ask for your help in this matter and I sincerely hope that the Conservative Government will stand beside the Iranian people and help them achieve their goal of a free and democratic Iran. I would be happy to discuss these issues further at your convenience

Sincerely,

Setareh Kaviyan
Director of Human Rights Committee
Marze Por Gohar Party
Iranians for a Secular Republic
www.marzeporgohar.org
BitWhys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* sigh *

failing to acknowledge what progress that HAS been made will get you nowhere. stroking the new PM is one thing. alienating his advisors is another.

http://www.infoexport.gc.ca/ie-en/Office.jsp?oid=283

Quote:
Effective immediately, we will limit our encounters with Iranian officials to the Kazemi case, Iran's human rights record and Iran's nuclear non-proliferation performance. No visits or exchanges by Iranian officials to Canada will be permitted, nor will Canadian officials engage with Iran, except relating to these issues. Canada will not block the initiatives of private Canadian companies to trade with their Iranian counterparts. However, we will continue to apply strict export controls on sensitive goods and we will continue to advise business people about the political environment to consider when doing business with Iran. Furthermore, any existing programs of cooperation between Canadian government agencies and their Iranian counterparts will be halted. This state of relations will persist until Iran has taken steps to launch a credible and independent investigation and judicial process into the Kazemi case. We have not decided to recall our Ambassador, nor to shut down Embassy services. We believe there continues to be a need for professional-level dialogue regarding the serious existing difficulties in our relationship.

espandyar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the link!
BitWhys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my pleasure.

the Libs were far from perfect, but Pettigrew wasn't a total fool and from what I can gather, was well advised. the latter is the important part.

Peter Mackay is the ear you need turned your way. He's the new Foreign Affairs minister. (I can't believe they've got that porfolio doubled up) A good way to do that is to make sure the gatekeeper is aware the opposition is up to speed. That's where carbon copies come in. The name of the game in Ottawa is Cover Your Ass. If the opposition knows something that might put the minister at a disadvantage, it will get passed along.

The Liberals haven't announced their shadow cabinet yet so for now the one to CC would have to be the Leader of the Opposition, Bill Graham. Alexa McDonough is still serving as the NDP critic. she has her charms. Always include the MP for your own riding. and CC Harper. Secretaries hate their office being treated second fiddle. It'll get a good read.

You know the issues. Undoubtedly better than I do. What you need to do is sell the fact Mr. Mackay needs to know what you know so he doesn't step in anything or miss an opportunity to make a name for himself.

credit the department for what its done right. slag the old government for what it could have done better, but be practical and show patience. diplomacy is a tough sport.

good luck.
espandyar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your input.

I will forward this to our people in Canada!

Regards
IIRF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear espandyar,

We have people in Canada that would be more then happy to help you. If you need any assistance do not hesitate to email me.

Best Regards,

IIRF

www.imperialforces.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: