[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Straw’s handshake with the “Butcher” angers Iran dissidents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Straw’s handshake with the “Butcher” angers Iran dissidents Reply with quote

Sat. 10 Sep 2005

Iran Focus
http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3650

London, Sep. 10 – A handshake between British Foreign Minister Jack Straw and one of Iran’s new Vice-Presidents on Friday has aroused much anger and indignation among Iranian exiles, who say the official has a long history as a torturer and executioner of political dissidents in Iran.

Esfandiar Rahim Masha'ie, who was recently appointed as a Vice-President and Head of Iran's Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organisation, had two separate meetings with Jack Straw and British Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell while in London for the inaugural ceremony of an Iranian arts exhibition in the British Museum.

The state-run Iranian news agency said that Straw welcomed Iran’s new hard-line government, led by ultra-conservative President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Masha’ie is from the northern Iranian town of Tonekabon, which was called Shahsavar prior to Iran’s 1979 Islamic revolution. In 1974, Masha’ie joined the Hojjatieh association. Hojjatieh was a semi-clandestine religious and political group that was set up in the early 1950s in Iran by Sheikh Mahmoud Tavallai, popularly known as Sheikh Halabi, an extremist Shiite cleric who founded the group to eradicate members of the Baha’i faith. Iran’s new President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was also closely associated with the leaders of the group.

In 1979, Masha’ie became a commander in the komitehs, a paramilitary armed organisation charged with law and order after the rise of Islamic clerics to power. He rose rapidly, becoming head of Tonekabon’s komiteh in the same year. He was soon appointed governor of the city and later became Deputy Minister of Mines and Industries. He also served for some time as the Deputy Interior Minister and worked for some time in the Ministry of Islamic Guidance. When Ahmadinejad was the Mayor of Tehran, Masha’ie became his deputy for social affairs.

Critics say throughout his career since the early 1980s, Masha’ie’s has been working for Iran’s secret police, the Ministry of Intelligence and Security.

According to knowledgeable sources, Masha’ie personally executed two of his close relatives: his nephew, Ali Salehi, and his cousin, Ahmad-Reza Rahim Masha’ie. Both were supporters of the Iranian opposition group, the Mujahedin-e Khalq (MeK).

Tonekabon residents say Esfandiar Rahim Masha'ie was known for his brutality against the relatives of dissidents. He once sentenced the father of an opposition activist to four years in prison. At the end of the sentence period, Masha’ie demanded that he continue to remain behind bars since the man had refused to disown his son.

“They called him the Butcher in Tonekabon in the 1980s”, said Saeed Shirkhodai, who fled his native city in northern Iran and now lives in exile in Sweden. “People of Tonekabon, Ramsar, and other nearby cities and towns in western Mazadaran still remember the horrific crimes of Masha’ie”.

Masha’ie’s appointment by Ahmadinejad, who was himself a top commander in Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, follows the same pattern that characterised the selection of new ministers. Ahmadinejad’s cabinet includes about a dozen individuals who were at some stage in their careers officers in the IRGC or its affiliated organs and at least five former senior officials of the Ministry of Intelligence and Security.

Jack Straw’s handshake with a man identified as a killer and torturer of political prisoners has angered many in the Iranian exile community in Europe.

Hamid Solhju, an Iranian exile living in London, said the Foreign Secretary should not have met a man who has a notorious past as an executioner and a torturer.

“Haven’t we had enough? Is there no end to this appeasement”, he said.

Iran’s state-run media have given much coverage to Straw’s meeting with Masha’ie in a bid to counter the perception among ordinary Iranians that the country is becoming increasingly isolated under the new ultra-Islamist government.
Liberty Now !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and that's Adeli to the right. mullahs' Ambassador to U.K.

this guy didn't even grow up in Iran. he's one of the many IRI thugs who were all raised in Najaf, Iraq. most of the IRI officials grew up outside Iran. that's why they have no sympathy for our nation and the reason they can kill without regrets.

why shouldn't Straw shake hands with them? they are keeping the nation hostage with their terrorism/Fascism, so Brits can continue their lootings.
ViaHHakimi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Straw’s handshake with the “Butcher” angers Iran disside Reply with quote

Shame SHAME shame ON Jack Straw Straw's handshake with the "Butcher"

Dears,

The Brits Foreign Secretary, the famous Honorable Mr. Jack Straw is the most shameless, insensitive, clownish Foreign Secretary that the British Government had the pleasure to include in their Cabinet of Ministers since the last few hundred years!

It seems that this Honorable Gentleman has inherited all the characteristics of the Famous British, Jack The Ripper? But He is just a STRAW & does not have Blue Blood in his veins?

You do not believe me! Then read the following! And look at the attached photos.

H.H.

cyrus wrote:

Sat. 10 Sep 2005

Iran Focus
http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3650

London, Sep. 10 – A handshake between British Foreign Minister Jack Straw and one of Iran’s new Vice-Presidents on Friday has aroused much anger and indignation among Iranian exiles, who say the official has a long history as a torturer and executioner of political dissidents in Iran.

Esfandiar Rahim Masha'ie, who was recently appointed as a Vice-President and Head of Iran's Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organisation, had two separate meetings with Jack Straw and British Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell while in London for the inaugural ceremony of an Iranian arts exhibition in the British Museum.

The state-run Iranian news agency said that Straw welcomed Iran’s new hard-line government, led by ultra-conservative President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Masha’ie is from the northern Iranian town of Tonekabon, which was called Shahsavar prior to Iran’s 1979 Islamic revolution. In 1974, Masha’ie joined the Hojjatieh association. Hojjatieh was a semi-clandestine religious and political group that was set up in the early 1950s in Iran by Sheikh Mahmoud Tavallai, popularly known as Sheikh Halabi, an extremist Shiite cleric who founded the group to eradicate members of the Baha’i faith. Iran’s new President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was also closely associated with the leaders of the group.

In 1979, Masha’ie became a commander in the komitehs, a paramilitary armed organisation charged with law and order after the rise of Islamic clerics to power. He rose rapidly, becoming head of Tonekabon’s komiteh in the same year. He was soon appointed governor of the city and later became Deputy Minister of Mines and Industries. He also served for some time as the Deputy Interior Minister and worked for some time in the Ministry of Islamic Guidance. When Ahmadinejad was the Mayor of Tehran, Masha’ie became his deputy for social affairs.

Critics say throughout his career since the early 1980s, Masha’ie’s has been working for Iran’s secret police, the Ministry of Intelligence and Security.

According to knowledgeable sources, Masha’ie personally executed two of his close relatives: his nephew, Ali Salehi, and his cousin, Ahmad-Reza Rahim Masha’ie. Both were supporters of the Iranian opposition group, the Mujahedin-e Khalq (MeK).

Tonekabon residents say Esfandiar Rahim Masha'ie was known for his brutality against the relatives of dissidents. He once sentenced the father of an opposition activist to four years in prison. At the end of the sentence period, Masha’ie demanded that he continue to remain behind bars since the man had refused to disown his son.

“They called him the Butcher in Tonekabon in the 1980s”, said Saeed Shirkhodai, who fled his native city in northern Iran and now lives in exile in Sweden. “People of Tonekabon, Ramsar, and other nearby cities and towns in western Mazadaran still remember the horrific crimes of Masha’ie”.

Masha’ie’s appointment by Ahmadinejad, who was himself a top commander in Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, follows the same pattern that characterised the selection of new ministers. Ahmadinejad’s cabinet includes about a dozen individuals who were at some stage in their careers officers in the IRGC or its affiliated organs and at least five former senior officials of the Ministry of Intelligence and Security.

Jack Straw’s handshake with a man identified as a killer and torturer of political prisoners has angered many in the Iranian exile community in Europe.

Hamid Solhju, an Iranian exile living in London, said the Foreign Secretary should not have met a man who has a notorious past as an executioner and a torturer.

“Haven’t we had enough? Is there no end to this appeasement”, he said.

Iran’s state-run media have given much coverage to Straw’s meeting with Masha’ie in a bid to counter the perception among ordinary Iranians that the country is becoming increasingly isolated under the new ultra-Islamist government.
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Ambassador Hasem Hakimi Short Biography By ActivistChat Reply with quote

Who is Honorable Ambassador Hasem Hakimi By ActivistChat?

Source: http://activistchat.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=53

Ambassador Hasem Hakimi former Imperial Iranian Ambassador to Norway (Pre-1979 Disaster) has one of the highest Decorations of Norway. The Decoration was bestowed to Ambassador Hakimi by the late King Olav the 5th. It is called ( Sant Olav Cross, Commander) As you may know Ambassador Hakimi was posted to Norway as a Minister Charge des Affairs in September 1968. Ambassador Hakimi was in that post for five years and tried his best to promote the good relations, on all aspects, between Iran and Norway. Ambassador Hakimi was instrumental to abolish Visa Regulations between Iran & the Scandinavian counties.
At the end of 5 years of Ambassador Hakimi assignment in Norway Ambassador Hakimi was honored by that Decoration. Therefore Ambassador Hakimi is considered the most prominent Iranian living in Norway. We are most honoured to welcome Ambassador Hakimi to share his vision with the fellow ActivistChat members and readers.

Last edited by cyrus on Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is Honorable Ambassador Hasem Hakimi By ActivistChat?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Cyrus,

When I first checked this board out and was browsing about, I came across this following post....by the Ambassador....and I knew...laughing till my sides hurt....I'd come to the right place...

------------------

"Europeans want a dialogue with these idiots? They are well com to it.

The man in this picture is one of the more important clerics is Iran. Hojat al Islam Hassani is the Friday prayer leader of the town of Oroumiyeh (which is in Southern Azarbaijan). Please read this and YOU DECIDE whether a person with this mentality is someone that western leaders can dialogue with? AND do you think that any other Ayatollahs think differently? The answer is NO!

In this interview he state: THE WORD FREEDOM HAS REALLY UNDERMINED ISLAM!

Then he goes on to comment: DOES FREEDOM REALLY MEAN THAT OUR WOMAN COULD WEAR FOUR-SIDED OR SIX-SIDED OUTFITS?!!!

AND FINALLY - IF THIS IS NOT THE WORD OF A FASCIST, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS - HE SAYS: ALL THE MONEY MADE BY THE WEALTHY SHOULD BE CEASED!!!! "

--------

(picture didn't copy...)
------------------------------

Hope I don't offend, but here's an American take on it....

6 sided outfits? Let me see, Mmmm there are four dimentions in physical space...unless ladies fashion's have trancended temporal constraints.....and entered a space-time warp...

Say....gee whiz...I guess they HAVE conqued time travel....Backward goes the IRI... regressed fashions back about 1400 years or so....to something that resembles a sack-cloth. Takes some fairly advanced idiocy to master the technology involved.

That is unless the mullahs some how created a black hole that has sucked in everything resembling civilization and lightness of being....
Whups! ....I've just been informed that they have indeed reached that level of technology... Major Mullah Morons Inc. at the world's disservice.

If Iranian women had a choice in the matter, I rather suspect they'd go for at least 8 sides on those outfits, just to blow some minds in the fashion industry....not to mention a few million fellas....you think traffic
is bad in Tehran now buddy...wait till they wear those 8 sided things and stop it unintentionally....

Well, it's sad but true, the EU today is faced with the reality of Hakimi's astute assessment....Now the US has to pick up the pieces where it was left off two years ago...just at this same point of the IAEA being ready to refer the IRI to the UN Sec. Council. But a lot has been learned, a lot of evidence gathered all the while the IRI has painted itself into a corner, diplomaticly.

A world faced with a heck of a humanitarian and human rights issue, and a regime H.e.ll bent on flushing the Iran nation down the toilet, along with its cultural heritage. (and anything else it can suck into that black hole) You have one monster boil on the backside of civilization.

You betcha the UN's gonna be "seized of the matter".

There is but one viable option now, and that's the international community placing trust in the Iranian people to effect the changes diplomacy failed to produce. Along with as much tangible support as needed to meet the aspirations of liberty....in Larger Freedom.

Regarding the "money made by the wealthy" that sounds more like Communism to me (another form of totalitarianism), if that's the case....where then did the words "millionare mullahs" come from? Totalitarianism breeds corruption, and militant idiots.....regardless what form it takes.

I guess the only way the world will finally breath a collective sigh of relief is when all the pissed off preachers are gagged with duct tape *, strapped to ballistic missiles, and "elevated" to about 12 miles higher in conciousness, just before those high-altitude fireworks start the party to kick off a new Iranian renaissance. Traffic is going to be real bad, no doubt.

Wouldn't miss that party for anything....RSVP not required I hope.

* We Yanks been saving up all our duct tape, now that we've taken Homeland Security's good advice, and we're ready to ship it to the good folks of Iran, anytime....for just such an occasion.
Spenta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Osama Bin Laden was promoted to a VP position in the IRI, Jack $traw and the Filthy Briti$h Neo Colonilia$t$ would gladly ki$$ his a$$ for a photo op too

Its not for nothing that Iran is called the I$lamic Republic of Great Britain afterall!
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Spenta,

I believe it is the considered opinion of many people that UBL is the IRI's chief foreign policy consultant...that's a bit above VIP status as a "guest".

But he hasn't been giving photo opps lately, has he?...(chuckle)

BTW, as far as I've heard, the only head of state to meet with ol' monkey face, is Russia's president Putin.

Now maybe he's just going to quietly tell him the deal's off as far as nuclear cooperation is concerned, which I kind of suspect will be the case...but there's other things like biological expertice, samples, conventional arms transfers...Russia either has been involved in as a government, or by elements of , independant and illegally depending on case circumstance.

And their seems to be, despite Straw's insensitivity in the moment captured above, a sea change in EU attitude toward the IRI, and vice versa.

Now in my opinion, it's quite a task to piss off both the Iranian opposition AND the IRI at the same time.

Canada has been, and probably always will be a fair moral barometer in UN affairs...many resolutions co-sponsored on Human Rights over the years, including one to be introduced in this session with regards to the IRI's criminal history...and in reference as well to WMD violations of various resolutions and agreements long standing...in all catagories of WMD, not just nuclear.

Now for what it's worth, the threat those IRI WMD's pose to Iran's population (accidental release of biologic, chem, and nuclear) is not the EU's fault, for the IRI trades with, and recieves support, technological and material, from Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, China, North Korea, Pakistan (in the recent past) South Africa, along with black market smugglers and the probability of those WMD's being placed into the hands of martyrs the IRI actively and publicly recruits, trains and finances for terrorist operations is so great you can count on it like the sun coming up tommorrow.

So, I believe if the opposition is to be truly effective and responsible in addressing the threat and actions of the IRI, trade, influence, and their interference in other soveriegn nation's security through terrorism, the opposition must address those other nation's relationships just as whole heartedly as you do regarding the relations with the EU, on a consistant basis. Not that I'm faulting you, rather I'm presenting a broad picture for your own assesment.

Nor am I defending Straw's record, or that of the EU in general, but a broad view and strategy of illumination of ALL trade and arms deals must be addressed....and implemented overall in public statement by ALL opposition groups as a collective and cohesive protest.

Please consider wisely what I've said, and pass it on if you see fit.

Ba Sepaas,

Oppie
Liberty Now !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: the republican Carter! Reply with quote

dear spenta, totally agree, straw would kiss up to bin laden if he had to.

unfortunately he's not alone. take a look at the highly disturbing comments from future Republican candidate. I'm afraid brits found the new Carter, this time in the Rep. party!

http://www.baztab.com/news/28929.php

كانديداي اول جمهوري‌خواهان در انتخابات رياست جمهوري 2008 آمريكا، درخواست كرده كه مقامات آمريكا در سفر احمدي‌نژاد به نيويورك، ضمن برخورد مناسب با رئيس‌جمهور جديد ايران، با وي ديدار و گفت‌وگو كنند.

به گزارش خبرنگار «بازتاب» به نقل از باربارا سلاوين، خبرنگار روزنامه آمريكايي USA Today، «چاك هاگل»، سناتور بانفوذ ايالت نبرسكا از حزب اكثريت جمهوريخواه كه كانديداي اصلي اين حزب براي جانشيني بوش به شمار مي‌رود، از طرف خود و كميته سياست خارجي سناي آمريكا، اين پيشنهاد را مطرح كرده است.

آنان همچنين از دولت آمريكا خواهان برخورد مناسب با احمدي‌نژاد و ندادن امكانات به مخالفان جمهوري اسلامي براي برپايي تظاهرات و ايجاد فشار عليه سفر وي به نيويورك شده‌اند.
Evil or Very Mad

WHAT DID I TELL YOU GUYS! BRING YOUR CARTER PICTURES! THE ONE HE TOOK WITH THE AYATOLLAH! PLEASE DON'T FORGET : GREEN BELT = RISE OF ISLAMO-FASCISM

ALSO, PLEASE BRING PICTURES OF THE LATE SHAH OF IRAN (GOD BLESS HIS SOUL) AS A REMINDER TO THE WORLD OF WHY WE ARE IN SUCH MESS TODAY!

American's had all they wanted and more in Iran, yet they've traded all that for terrorsim. one wonders if they still have the tiny bit of sense left to compare the two and realize the depth of their mistakes.
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Blair and Straw split by Iran nuclear crisis Reply with quote

Blair and Straw split by Iran nuclear crisis

By Toby Helm in London and Anton La Guardia in Vienna
(Filed: 20/09/2005)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/09/20/wnuke20.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/09/20/ixnewstop.html
thru RCI

A serious rift has opened between Tony Blair and Jack Straw over whether to retain the threat of military action against Iran if it refuses to halt its nuclear programme.

A day after Mr Straw declared that the crisis "will not be resolved by military means", Downing Street distanced itself from the Foreign Secretary.

It lined up behind President George W Bush, who has made clear that "all options are on the table" while wanting a diplomatic solution and insisting there are no plans to use force.

The Foreign Office made no attempt to hide the disagreement last night. "Jack's view is clear," said a senior official. "Military action is inconceivable."

Earlier, the Prime Minister's official spokesman played down any suggestion of a split but, when asked about the difference between Mr Straw's views and those of the US President, he emphasised that Mr Blair agreed with Mr Bush.

"On May 12…the Prime Minister at a press conference said that what President Bush has said is perfectly sensible.

"You can't say you are taking options off the table. But he went on to say, I think very sensibly too, that nobody is talking about invasions of Iran or military action against Iran."

US and European nations fear that Teheran's attempts to make its own uranium-enriched fuel is linked to a secret project to create fissile material for atomic bombs. The Iranians say they want nuclear energy for electricity.

With the crisis in Iraq deepening, the prospect of a radical Middle Eastern regime holding such weapons is causing mounting alarm.

The Blair-Straw disagreement reflects a long-running difference of emphasis over Middle East policy and US relations.

Mr Straw is known to have had severe reservations about sending British troops to Iraq without a second UN resolution. He believes, say insiders, that even the threat of action against Teheran is making it more difficult to convince Russia and Third World countries to support a European move to report Iran to the UN Security Council for violating the nuclear non-proliferation treaty.

Western governments were angered by a defiant weekend speech by the hardline Iranian president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

He said his country would not halt uranium enrichment and hinted it might withdraw co-operation with international nuclear inspectors if the West tried to impose its will "through a language of force and threat".

Last month Iran restarted a factory making uranium hexafluoride, a key step in the enrichment of uranium to make either nuclear fuel or fissile material for bombs.

The move was a challenge to Britain, France and Germany, the so called EU-3 countries who struck a deal with Iran to freeze the most sensitive parts of its nuclear programme.

Last night at a meeting of the governing board of the International Atomic Energy Agency, the UN nuclear watchdog, the three circulated a draft resolution calling for Iran to be reported to the security council.

They face a difficult task in gaining a majority because of opposition from Russia, China and developing countries.

Many fear that any move to the security council would provoke a radical response, with Iran possibly scaling down nuclear inspections or resuming all aspects of uranium enrichment.

This could escalate the crisis, set off an Iraq-style escalation and eventually lead to military action.

The resolution has not yet been tabled formally and is unlikely to be voted on until Thursday or Friday.

But Gregory Schulte, the US ambassador to the IAEA, said: "We think a report to the council is long overdue."

However the director-general of the IAEA, Mohammed ElBaradei, wants to put off referral to give more time for talks.

Yesterday he accused Iran and the West of engaging in "confrontation and brinkmanship", telling them to learn from North Korea that negotiation yields better results than confrontation.
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I see it......

1. The IAEA is obligated by its mandate and function to report serious breach of international protocol (NPT or other) to the UN Sec Council.

2. The status quo of IRI non compliance, failure to adequately address concerns, and provide access and information is such a breach of protocol.

3. Continuing concerns of the IAEA have not been addressed, nor has the IRI proved a "peaceful nuclear program" exists.

4. International calls for the IAEA to heed its mandate and proceeed with referal is not "confrontationalism" but a request of adherance to its own policy as defined.

5. Member states on the IAEA board of governors are obligated to uphold the rules and bylaws of the IAEA.

6. IRI refusal to comply with negotiated agreements and unilaterally walk away from multilateral negotiation regarding international and IAEA concerns, and its unilateral action in resuming processing of nuclear material is in itself "confrontationalism", not a negotiating posture.

7. Threats of further non compliance, non cooperation or economic blackmail are unacceptable and must be addressed by the international community. Failure to do so by any member state signatory to the NPT is a breach of their obligation to support protocols in place, and the IAEA's mandate to report, investigate, and persue compliance with international treaties and agreements in place among signatory member states.

8. To bow to pressure by threat or intimidation by a non compliant signatory state would terminate IAEA effectiveness, and irreparibly harm the credibility of the IAEA, and member states on the board of governors party to appeasement.

9. Confrontation is a fact, and the only issue is compliance in totality, how that is acheived, or what speculation of future actions in response to forceable compliance by resolution upon referal to the UN Sec Council must not be a factor in the referal itself, or the decision making involved.

10. El Baradai is not unaware of the above.
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the EU sees it.....

EU PRESIDENCY STATEMENT: IRAN'S NUCLEAR PROGRAMME (21/09/05)

IAEA BOARD OF GOVERNORS, 21 SEPTEMBER 2005: EU PRESIDENCY STATEMENT ON IRAN

1. I have the honour to speak on behalf of the European Union. The Acceding Countries Bulgaria and Romania, the Candidate Countries Croatia*, as well as the Countries of the Stabilisation and Association Process and potential candidates Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, and Serbia and Montenegro and the Efta countries Iceland, and Norway, members of the European Economic Area, as well as Moldova, associate themselves with this statement.

2. The EU has read with care and interest the Director General’s latest report on the implementation of the NPT Safeguards Agreement in the Islamic Republic of Iran (GOV/2005/67) and has listened with equal care and interest to the Director General’s oral report on this subject at the start of this session. We are grateful to the Director General for yet another balanced and objective report. We commend the Director General and the Secretariat for the impartiality and professionalism with which they have pursued investigations into questions arising from Iran’s multiple failures, over an extended period of time, to declare nuclear materials and activities in accordance with its safeguards obligations.

3. The EU notes that good progress has been made by Iran in correcting the many instances of non-compliance reported to the Board in November 2003. We note also good progress in the Agency’s ability to confirm Iran’s declarations, but that several important questions remain outstanding: in particular, the origin of some of the HEU and the LEU particle contamination found at various locations in Iran, the extent of Iran’s efforts to import, manufacture and use centrifuges of both the P1 and P2 designs, Iranian statements about plutonium research, Iranian activities at the Gchine uranium mine, and Iran’s activities involving polonium.

4. The EU read with concern a number of passages in the Director General’s report:

The Agency still needs to understand what contacts took place between Iran and intermediaries in the late eighties and early nineties and why P-1 centrifuge design documents similar to those provided in 1987 were delivered again in 1994;
The Agency is still seeking sufficient assurance that no activities related to the P2 centrifuge design were carried out between 1995 and 2002;
The total number of unprocessed irradiated UO2 targets stored in containers turned out to be much higher than the number previously declared by Iran;
The Agency’s request to speak with the individual in charge of the Gchine project prior to 2002 has so far been refused and in documents relating to this project shown to the Agency the names of the persons who had designed, drawn, checked or approved the drawings, and the name of the company that had prepared the drawings, along with project numbers and dates, were blacked out;
The Agency is still trying to acquire a better understanding of why , apparently, no work was carried out at the Gchine site between 1993 and 2000;
The Agency is still awaiting additional information and clarifications from Iran regarding efforts by the Physics Research Centre to acquire dual use materials and equipment that could be used in uranium enrichment or conversion activities, including access to relevant individuals.
5. The EU also read with concern that the Agency has made a number of other requests for information or access to individuals or locations which have still to be granted. We take a serious view of the Director General’s assessment that full transparency is not only indispensable but overdue, and that, given Iran’s past concealment efforts over many years, such transparency should extend beyond the formal requirements of the Safeguard Agreement and Additional Protocol and include access to individuals, documentation related to procurement, dual use equipment, certain military-owned workshops and research and development locations. We note that the Agency is still not in a position to conclude that there are no undeclared nuclear materials or activities in Iran and that, in view of the past undeclared nature of significant aspects of Iran’s nuclear programme, and its past pattern of concealment, this conclusion can be expected to take longer to arrive at than in normal circumstances.

6. Finally, Madame Chair, the EU notes that Iran has not heeded the call made by the Board on 11 August for the re-establishment of full suspension of all enrichment related activities; that Iran’s Additional Protocol is still unratified; and that Iran has ignored the Board’s request for reconsideration of its decision to construct a research reactor moderated by heavy water.

7. These are among the many factors leading the EU to the view that this is an appropriate moment for the Board to take stock.

8. In November 2003, the Board had before it a report from the Director General which made clear that "Iran had concealed many aspects of its nuclear activities, with resultant breaches of its obligation to comply with the provisions of its Safeguards Agreement". That report also noted that some of the breaches "dealt with the most sensitive aspects of the nuclear fuel cycle, including enrichment and reprocessing". The Board therefore took a number of important decisions. Inter alia, it:

Endorsed the view of the Director General that a policy of full transparency and openness on the part of Iran was indispensable;
Called on Iran to sustain full cooperation with the Agency in implementing Iran’s commitment to full disclosure and unrestricted access;
Underlined that it was essential that the declarations made by Iran in 2003 amounted to the correct, complete and final picture of Iran’s past and present nuclear programme;
Reemphasised the importance of Iran moving swiftly to ratification of the Additional Protocol;
Welcomed Iran’s decision voluntarily to suspend all enrichment-related and reprocessing activities and requested Iran to adhere to that decision in a complete and verifiable manner.
The Board subsequently called on Iran to reconsider its decision to construct a research reactor moderated by heavy water.

9. What is the situation confronting the Board today, almost two years later?

The Director General has reported that full transparency still has not been forthcoming: he describes it as overdue;
Iran's October 2003 declaration, said by Iran to provide a full picture of its nuclear activities, has turned out to be incomplete - for example, with respect to its P-2 centrifuge activities, with respect to the level of enrichment achieved by it laser enrichment work, and with respect to its plutonium research;
The contamination issue remains unresolved;
Iran’s Additional Protocol remains unratified;
All enrichment related activities in Iran have been suspended for only 8 of the 22 months that have passed since November 2003;
Construction of a research reactor moderated by heavy water has begun and continues.
10. It is clear that Iran has failed to honour its commitments – commitments which made it possible for the Board to hold back from reporting to the Security Council and others, in November 2003, the non-compliance reported to it by the Secretariat. Iran has not engaged in full cooperation with the IAEA to address and resolve through full transparency all requirements and outstanding issues of the Agency. Having taken over a year to get round to suspending all enrichment-related and reprocessing activities, Iran has, in defiance of clear Board requests, abandoned that suspension well before the resolution by the Agency of all the issues arising from its non-compliance. In this regard may I recall that in the resolution it adopted in November 2004 the Board underlined that the full and sustained implementation of this suspension was essential to addressing outstanding issues.

11. The EU has sought to create conditions in which the international community can leave it to the Agency to go about its job of providing the necessary assurances in the knowledge that, meanwhile; Iran would not be developing a capability to produce fissile material. The development by Iran of the mostsensitive parts of the fuel cycle has neither an economic nor a technical rationale. We therefore regret, and feel deeply concerned by the fact that Iran gives every sign of being intent on developing a fissile material production capability well before the international community obtains what it needs: confidence that Iran’s programme is exclusively peaceful in nature.

12. It is that concern which leads us to assert that the Board cannot simply overlook Iran’s failure to fulfil its commitments and its defiance of Board resolutions. The Board must ask itself whether there is anything that can be done at this session to convince on Iran to implement the necessary confidence-building measures and to grant the Agency the full transparency which the Director General described on 19 September as a prerequisite for the Agency to be able to reconstruct the history and nature of all aspects of Iran’s past nuclear activities, and to compensate for the confidence deficit created.

13. In the EU view there is something that the Board can and should do. The Board should draw the attention of the UN Security Council to the safeguards breaches and failures first reported to the Board in November 2003 and to the questions which have arisen in this connection that are within the competence of the Security Council. This will give the Security Council an opportunity to throw its weight and authority behind the Board’s resolutions. It will give the Security Council an opportunity to endorse the Board’s calls for confidence-building measures, especially full suspension, and for the full transparency which was first promised in October 2003 and which is indispensable to the resolution of outstanding issues and overdue.

14. Involving the Security Council in this way is not intended to close off diplomacy. On the contrary: it is intended to facilitate it by reinforcing the signal that the international community expects Iran to deliver on its promises of full transparency and full suspension. EU Member States intend to work within the Security Council to ensure a sensible, measured and constructive multilateral approach to the issue. The IAEA will remain seized of the matter and the Secretariat’s responsibility for implementing Iran’s Safeguards Agreement will be unaltered.

15. Let me close by stressing that the EU recognises the inalienable right of NPT parties to develop research, production and use of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes without discrimination and in conformity with Articles I and II of the NPT. But maintaining the balance between rights and obligations envisaged in the treaty is essential. We believe it is incumbent on a non-compliant state to return to full compliance and to build the necessary confidence in the exclusively peaceful nature of its nuclear activities. In the specific case of Iran the suspension of fissile material production and enrichment-related activities would do just that; it is therefore prudent for the Board and the international community to insist on it.

* Croatia continues to be part of the Stabilisation and Association Pact
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Blair Fires Foreign Secretary
By BETH GARDINER, Associated Press Writer Fri May 5, 10:41 AM ET
LONDON - Prime Minister http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060505/ap_on_re_eu/britain_elections_9

-------------------
Jack Straw: student radical turned globe-trotting minister
Fri May 5, 10:40 AM ET
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060505/en_afp/britainpoliticsstraw_060505144021
Jack Straw, Britain's former foreign secretary shunted sideways in Prime Minister Tony Blair's cabinet reshuffle, is the archetypal political apparatchik turned high-ranking minister.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> Noteworthy Discussion Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: