[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Brief

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrus
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: In Brief Reply with quote

In Brief

Fri. 26 Aug 2005

Iran Focus
http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3490

The news in Tehran and elsewhere in Iran on Friday, Aug. 26

Ban on Music Day
Iran’s Supreme Cultural Revolution Council, led by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, banned newspapers from declaring any day of the year as “Music Day”. Hard-liners consider music as un-Islamic.

Brothers Esmaeili
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has chosen two ultra-Islamist brothers for two key government posts. Mohsen Esmaeili, a young jurist on the powerful Guardian Council, has been earmarked to become cabinet secretary and government spokesman. His brother, Parviz Esmaeili, will be the new head of Iran’s official news agency, IRNA.

Ahmadinejad shuns journalists
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad took all his newly-confirmed ministers to the Shiite holy city of Mashad to hold the cabinet’s first meeting in the mausoleum of Imam Reza, the eighth saint of Shiite Islam. Domestic journalists waiting at the mausoleum to interview the president were turned back and he only gave an interview to the state-run radio and television. When asked by a reporter why he was not talking to other journalists, Ahmadinejad said, “That’s odd. It’s the first time I hear such a thing”, and walked away.

“19-year-old girl kidnapped my 21-year-old son”
A man in Tehran filed a complaint in Tehran’s criminal court, accusing a 19-year-old girl of abducting his son. He said the girl befriended his son during private guitar lessons and they decided to get married. When their families opposed this decision, the boy left the girl, according to the man. “But the girl came to our house, called my son, and abducted him”, he wrote in his complaint. The prosecutor ordered the police to follow up the matter.

New crackdown in Tehran
Tehran’s chief prosecutor Saeed Mortazavi announced that a new wave of crackdown would commence to root out “troublemakers”. The hard-line daily Kayhan earlier quoted Mortazavi as saying, “There are various methods to ensure public security and peace. Combating troublemakers is an important such method”.

14,205 street children rounded up in Tehran
The semi-official daily Jomhouri Islami earlier quoted the director of the Social Ailments branch of the Tehran Mayor’s Office as saying that his organisation had rounded up 14,205 homeless children from the streets of Tehran over the past year. Oil-rich Iran has an estimated 100,000 street children.

Last edited by cyrus on Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Rasker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next they will ban kite flying, like the Taliban did.

I can see a demonstration of kites carrying speakers, all playing "Ride of the Valkyries", as the signal for the general uprising! Smile
Liberty Now !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: In Brief Reply with quote

Quote:
“19-year-old girl kidnapped my 21-year-old son”
A man in Tehran filed a complaint in Tehran’s criminal court, accusing a 19-year-old girl of abducting his son. He said the girl befriended his son during private guitar lessons and they decided to get married. When their families opposed this decision, the boy left the girl, according to the man. “But the girl came to our house, called my son, and abducted him”.

that's what happens when you push women too far! now keep complaining till you drop dead.

YOU GO GIRL ! GO ! Laughing

the more power to young girls of Iran.
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rasker,

Afghan kite flying is a serious sport, not for the meek....see, the game is played by trying to cut the other fellow's string, with your own. The string is embedded with rosin and ground glass. No gloves, though a bit of leather on the index finger is allowed.

last kite flying wins the tournament.

A good friend of mine from Afghanistan used to take part as a boy....his older brother would provide him with incentive to win....if his string was cut....his brother would then blast his disabled kite as it fell with a shotgun...like duck hunting....and anyone else's too for good measure.

This was back when Zahir Shah was king, today the sport has been revived. Better that kites are flying than bullets. Aside from a little target
practice that is....(chuckle).
ameshkin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Kite Flying Reply with quote

Damn. You can't listen to music. Can't go out with your friends. When will Iranians finally rise up to the terrorist Mullahs?

http://iran-azadi.blogspot.com/
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ameshkin,

Good question. When the people are more afraid of doing nothing, then they are of any retaliation the IRI may bring upon them, is my guess.

In a nutshell one may look to the level of opposition to Saddam after thirty years of misery....lot of mass graves found.

pretty bleak picture to look forward to under the current IRI.

going on what? 26 years and counting?

Thing is, and the worse the IRI becomes, the greater the international exposure...to the point now that folks in the EU have been forced to take a hard look at their relations with the mullahs.

The whole war on terror thing....it's the sane vs. the insane.

They call the apointed president of the IRI "Azar"? ( monkey ) If I have the spelling right.....

I don't know if that's truly fair to the simmian population on this planet.

Apes are pretty civilized actually....you'll never see an ape smile and show his teeth, cause showing teeth is a sign of agression.

I learned this bit of simmian diplomacy up close and personal with an orangatang.....

Got this totally human look of disgust on his face after he decided to taste-test the latex paint I was putting on right next to the metal screen of his cage.

Then spat it at me....I started laughing....my bad...

Every see a monkey riot? I have.

Fortunately, I had half a pack of MNM's left over from lunch...and decided to, armed as I was......to go back up the twenty-four foot ladder I'd just scrambled down....

Found out Apes like chocolate.

Peace was made.

Job got finished.

No good deed goes unpunished however, as the zoo attendant caught me feeding HER monkey's....and had a fit. People....

------------

Unfortunately Iran does not have anything close to a civilized government at the present time.
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so folks can look to an experts opinion on revolution, this ought to provide some hope.

Source: BBC

Walesa recalls Solidarity triumph

Lech Walesa: Poles "broke the Soviet bear's teeth"
Poland is remembering the momentous events of 25 years ago, when Solidarity was born - the only mass independent political movement to emerge inside the Soviet bloc.
The Gdansk Agreement between the Communist authorities and striking workers was signed on 31 August 1980 - and nine years later a wave of protest across eastern Europe demolished the Soviet bloc.

The BBC's world affairs correspondent Mike Donkin asked the former Solidarity leader Lech Walesa about the revolutionary changes that shook Poland in 1980.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you scaled the walls of the Gdansk shipyard here 25 years ago to start the strike what was on your mind?

It was yet another fight with communism - another contest with the system and this time I had to see how far I could go.

There had been many protests before. What made you think this time things could be different?

In the first instance I was well prepared and decisive. And at the same time I could see that the communist system had proved it was not able to compete with the western world, and in these conditions it was not in a fit state to survive to the 21st Century.

This was a battle for the rights of Polish people, not only for the workers of the shipyard. What rights were you fighting for?

Walesa rallied the strikers and won official recognition of Solidarity
In most cases people saw the fight in terms of living conditions. Our demands changed over the course of events.

In the first three days the demands were only for shipyard workers, and when these were met the strike was, in effect, over. But then because of pressure from other workplaces all over the country the strike was reborn, and became Solidarity. It became a national movement with different demands, including political ones.

For forty years after World War II, when this system was imposed on us, we had been fighting. We were unable to get rid of the system imposed on us as the war ended. The people were resigned and put the fight for freedom off for a later day.

And then something happened which was unprecedented in human history. A Pole became the Pope. A year after his election he arrived in Poland and the whole world was asking itself: How is this possible? The Pope visiting a communist nation.

The government in the end gave in quite quickly to Solidarity's demands. Why do you think they did that?

Oh no, it was not so quickly - it took nearly two weeks. And the government was forced to back down because the whole country was at a standstill.

Soon Solidarity was claiming 10 million members
Let me ask you about the fears of many Polish people. There were fears that you might win at the negotiating table but that would not be the end.

There were 200,000 Russian troops based permanently in Poland and a million more on our borders. And they had weapons of mass destruction as well. We knew all about that. But we were determined not to go back to work. They could kill us but they could not defeat us. They could us disperse us but they could not force us to work. So in fact the Communists did not have very effective weapons to use.

When the moment of victory came how did you feel?

When we were approaching the end of our battle I stood up and said 'You're all happy but I'm worried and frightened of what lies ahead of us'. Those who were carrying me on their shoulders then could soon be throwing stones at me.

So in a way the difficult part started after 31 August?

You've got to understand. It was clear to us that following this way would eventually lead to the collapse of Communism, the Warsaw Pact would cease to exist, but the whole pleasure of that would be at the expense of our economy, our cooperation, and our markets.

So how much was it the action of Solidarity which eventually brought down the Berlin Wall?

It did more than anything else that happened anywhere in the world. The further history moves on, the clearer it becomes how important that moment was.

The European Union couldn't have expanded, the unification of Germany would not have been possible. And other countries wouldn't have got their freedom if the Poles had not broken the Soviet bear's teeth. When other countries did their own thing, the bear could no longer bite.

General Wojciech Jaruzelski imposed martial law in 1981
Are you happy with the Poland that you and Solidarity helped to bring about - the Poland of today?

If someone told me 25 years ago that I would be having this interview with you, that I would be in a free country, in the European Union and in Nato, I wouldn't have believed them. If if they had put a gun to my head and said that IS going to be the case - well then, despite the gun, I would have been the happiest person in this galaxy.

But when I look back down the road I've seen Poland squander many opportunities since. And that makes me sad.

Also - we gave the West a great prize. It no longer needs its Cold War weapons. It's gained new markets in all the former communist states. But the fact that there are now so few jobs HERE doesn't seem to matter to the West.

As your fellow Poles celebrate this week, will you be celebrating with them, and what will you be thinking?

Of course I cannot BUT celebrate. I was leading the strike. And we were battling against the odds in pretty undemocratic times. So yes I will - I could hardly not celebrate the anniversary of this special moment in history.

Lech Walesa - thank you very much.

Thank you.
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

14,205 street children rounded up in Tehran
-------------

Rounded up and put where?
Omidvaur

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Children Reply with quote

Poor children are probably sent to Bahrain to keep Michael Jackson occupied. Let see how many children he will HELP himself to over there.
Oppenheimer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 members of Iran’s state TV arrested in Afghanistan Sun. 18 Sep 2005

Iran Focus

London, Sep. 18 - Three employees of Iran’s state television and radio broadcasting corporation, IRIB, were detained in Afghanistan by American troops, according to a notice posted on the organisation’s website on Sunday.

The trio who were picked up in the Afghan capital of Kabul were detained for six hours. They underwent fingerprinting and some of their equipment was confiscated, according to the report.

The report said that the three were in Kabul to film scenes of the election process.

IRIB reporters have in the past been arrested in Iran’s western neighbour Iraq on charges of being Tehran’s spies while working under the pretext of news production. Mostafa Darban, then the bureau chief of Iran's official news agency, was held for more than two weeks by Baghdad police in August 2004.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: