[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Have a Dream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: I Have a Dream Reply with quote

I Have a Dream

Shirin Ebadi (Iranian Human Rights Lawyer, Nobel Peace Laureate 2003)

http://roozonline.com/11english/008558.shtml

Once again explosions set by terrorist in London create much discussion in the media and among opinion makers about the destructive force of extremist religious belief.

I have repeatedly noted my conviction that non-democratic environments rear individuals susceptible to extremist beliefs. Disenfranchised citizens have not been raised in tolerant societies, have not benefited from personal freedoms such as freedom of thought and speech. People living under tyrannical rule, whether it's religious or political dictatorship, much more readily accept extremists thought.

If these individuals were raised in a country with a healthy and democratic government, if they were used to being heard through fair political processes rather than bombs and commando tactics, perhaps the world would be based on a different paradigm. In healthy democratic societies where people's demands are carried out through orderly political discourse certain members don't feel a need to resort to arms and terrorism.

Fortunately a united front of forward thinking Muslims has formed without regard of political borders. This is a harbinger of freedom for Muslims from religious extremism. This movement does not have a name or a particular leader, or a central administration with branches. It resides in the heart of every Muslim who can not bear injustice and is not willing to accept every invalid claim as religion. Religious progressives whose numbers fortunately are on the increase in Muslim countries, challenge the extremists. With logic that is at the heart of religion they prove that every act of governance, even if it claims the name, does not make it Islamic. They strive to prevent the abuse of their religion by proclaiming that Islam and democracy do go hand in hand: we can be Muslims and respect democracy and human rights since our religion is one based on equality. Islam is at odds with dictatorships and terrorism borne within the Islamic world.

In the midst of all the turmoil in the Islamic world, I have a dream. I dream of a progressive Islam that not only is completely in step with democracy and human rights, but carries the flag of these values throughout the world. In this dream, I see the oneness of all human hearts. So much so that each individual feels the pain and suffering of another as if it were his own.

I'm a dreamer and I believe reaching for our ideals has been a vital part of human history and always will be. So much of what we experience today is based on a dream or ideal.
blank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, Ayatolah shirin is now talking about 'terrorism is not good' while her islamist buddies, the IRI so called reformist, are deep into it...
Rasker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She called for a total boycott of the 'elections', that strikes me as a full break with the 'reformist' position.
blank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call her a true Chameleon, the lizard who changes her color according to the time and season.....after her calls 'death to America' and critisizing US on everything to Gitmo....now is the season to take side with so called 'moderates'...she knows her jig is up....
Rasker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time will tell, we'll see if she shows up at the barricades!
blank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She will take whatever steps that is for her safety and benefit...her children are already in Canada, like the off-springs of other ragheads, so if things don't look too good she will pack her bag and move to Canada. And like the rest of them she probably has invested enough in Canada that can live there comfortably for the rest of her life.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: