[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clashes rock several areas, police brutality at Mellat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rasker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Clashes rock several areas, police brutality at Mellat Reply with quote

Clashes rock several areas of Iranian Capital

SMCCDI (Information Service)
Jun 16, 2005, 07:51

Violent clashes rocked, yesterday evening, several areas of the Iranian Capital as demonstrators were attacked by Islamic regime forces.

Several areas, such as, "Enghelab" and Tehran University, "Vali e Asr", Rey, Zafar and the nearby Park e Mellat, Eslamshahr, Haft Hose, Rassol and Tajrish were affected.

Several demonstrators and also members of the regime forces were seriously injured. Rumors of two deaths have been reported from clashes which happened at Vali e Asr.

Slogans against the Islamic regime and its leadership were shouted by demonstrators who retaliated to the regime's use of clubs and tear gas by throwing pieces of stone and incendiary devices.

Public materials and several security patrol cars were damaged by the crowd. Many of regime's electoral propaganda were destroyed again or set on fire.

The situation in Tehran and several main provincial cities is very tense at few hours before the sham elections. Security forces have been deployed in an unprecedented manner and electronic jamming of abroad based opposition radio and TV programs has been increased.

The Movement's Coordinator, Aryo B. Pirouznia, hosted, via phone, by the popular Radio Israel (Persian service), called for massive boycott of sham elections and increase of protest actions against the regime. During this special program which was broadcasted yesterday evening (20:00 IR Local time), the SMCCDI Public Statement was read for the auditors.

Pirouznia is back to Los Angeles from where he's calling for massive boycott of sham elections and protest actions against the Islamic regime. Special live panels have been set at NITV and Pars TV for this purpose.
Source: SMCCDI
URL:

Last edited by Rasker on Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Rasker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ran elections: Demonstrations continue leading to clashes, arrests

Friday, 17th June 2005

Iran Focus

Tehran, Jun. 17 – For the second time in this evening and despite forceful government reaction crowds have gathered in squares across the Iranian capital Tehran, demonstrating against today’s presidential elections and setting on fire a vehicle belonging to Iran’s State Security Forces.

A large crowd is presently at Vali-e Asr Square while a growing crowd have gathered at Monirieh square and are denouncing today’s elections as a “farce”.

Protests against the polls are also taking place in Tehran’s Fatemi Street, Mellat Park and Laleh Park.

Security in the capital is tight at present. At least five people have so far been arrested this evening and many more were injured during clashes with the security forces. An SSF vehicle was also set alight by protesters.

Earlier this afternoon, two large demonstrations simultaneously erupted in Golha (Flowers) Square, southeast Tehran, and Vali-e Asr Square on the intersection of Palestine Street, lasting for some two hours, with protestors urging fellow Iranians to boycott the polls.

Protestors chanted “long live freedom”, “the cry of every Iranian is freedom”, “we reject dictatorship”, “boycott the elections”, and “the regime will be overthrown”.

In Vali-Asr Square groups of demonstrators were chanting “the cry of every Iranian is freedom”, “Maryam [Rajavi] is our leader”, referring to the President-elect of the National Council of Resistance of Iran, the regime’s principal opposition coalition.

In earlier demonstrations, protesters were seen carrying large photographs of Maryam Rajavi, who had called for a nationwide boycott of the Presidential elections in Iran three months ago.

Iran’s dreaded State Security Forces opened fire on the protesters to disperse the crowd. At one point, the crowd charged back and clashed with the SSF.

Eye-witnesses reported that polling stations in the vicinity of the protests were shut down by authorities.

Internet cafes were also shut down in the capital and other major cities such as Isfahan (central Iran) in an apparent effort to prevent the spread of election news by ordinary Iranians.

A number of students taking part in the demonstration stated that authorities had warned them that if their identity cards did not carry an election stamp, they would not be allowed to take part in university entrance exams.

This article comes from Iran Focus
http://www.iranfocus.com

The URL for this story is:
http://www.iranfocus.com/article.php?storyid=2499
Rasker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: My personal account of police brutality on 'election' eve Reply with quote

6/18/05
My personal account of police brutality on the eve of the Iran's elections
By Shahrad Sharif
http://www.payvand.com/news/05/jun/1130.html

I was looking forward to cast my vote at the polls. This is the first time that I am here in Tehran on the eve of a presidential election. The only other time that I have voted for an Iranian president was more than a decade ago in California.

Last night my wife and I took a stroll to Park-e Mellat. As we were getting closer to the park, we saw many trucks and vans filled with soldiers and special force police in clubs rushing toward the park. As we got to the corner of the park, I noticed that the Vali-Asr street going toward Tajrish was closed to the traffic. Some police authority was yelling in a rude language at the pedestrians to go back. We didn't yet know what was going on. As we went to the other side by the park, we saw many people, specially families rushing out of the park. I saw with my own eyes the police attacking pedestrians of younger age for no apparent reason! I heard from the people leaving the park, that hundreds of soldiers and special force policemen under the direction of a higher ranking officer started attacking everyone present at the park, families and women included. I have not seen such a scene before except at the time of the Shah where police were beating students routinely at the Elm-O-Sanaat University right behind our high school, Alborz.

I am astounded with what I witnessed last night. This was a total contradiction to what I saw on the joyeful night last week that Iran won Bahrain in soccer. On that night thousands of young people, girls and boys took to streets to celebrate a major national sport's victory. The fans of some candidates, namely Mr. Hashemi, Mr. Ghaleebaf, and Dr. Moin were sharing the joy with the other young people by passing out posters and cards of their candidates and inviting them to vote. There were absolutely no policemen to be seen around that night. People were free to celebrate anyway they pleased.

I am astounded with the intensity of these two past events, one very liberating and the other one so brutal. What a double standard? Whose decision was it to attack the people at Park-e Mellat on the eve of the elections? What is accomplished?

While the leader, the president, and all presidential candidates talk about the importance of the young people and their voting rights, how can any of them allow such a brutality happen under their nose and on their watch on the eve of the elections?

Yesterday, I read in Shargh newspaper about President Khatami's concern and warning on recent attacks on candidates and group assemblies. I had no idea that such attacks could be carried out by an official police force. What I saw was not pleasant. I am wondering if the position of the Chief of Police (i.e., Farmandeh-e Neeroye Entezami) were an elected office, would we still be witnessing police brutality on the eve of the elections? I have a second thought this early Friday morning about participating in the process of electing a president who by law has no control over the manner and the behavior of the country's police force.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: