[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not Without My Daughter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paralox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Not Without My Daughter Reply with quote

Hello.
I was thinking of seeing the movie "Not Without My Daughter", but when I looked it up on imdb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102555/), I saw a plethora of negative comments.

Do many Iranians consider this to be a racist movie?
As I understand the plot (which is based on a true story), the movie is critical of the laws that allowed the her to be trapped there, but it is not critical of the Iranian people, as many people helped her escape.

Also, some of the people posting negative comments claim to be from Iran, but I honestly have my doubts.
One poster claims to be a girl from Tehran, and when someone posted some examples of the brutality of the Mullahs, she defended them.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Is it worth seeing?
Pasagarde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it is a bad movie. It was planned to potray Iranians as bad people.

Koroush Kabir
Paralox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pasagarde wrote:

Okay, maybe I will get it then.

But I am just curious now, how does it portrey iranians as bad people?
mary_c

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paralox wrote:
Pasagarde wrote:

Okay, maybe I will get it then.

But I am just curious now, how does it portrey iranians as bad people?

I’ve read the book before the movie. In the book, Iran was truly portrayed as an awful, putrid, and dirty country, and its people were all cold and heartless. It was a major tactic for Betty Mahmoudy (who strangely kept her "Iranian" last name) to become best seller, in a period where Iran and the US had their worst relation. And she succeeded!

But there is also a Finnish documentary called "without my daughter" where it shows the father desperately seeking his daughter, by telephone (he applied for US visa many times, but got rejected). Other people mentioned in the book also testify the real story and what had really happened. Clearly, Betty Mahmoudy exaggerated and lied in that book, to create more suspense. According to all testimonies, she enjoyed Iran, and her husband adored both Betty and her daughter extremely. Also, Mahtob (the daughter) is not talking to her mother anymore.
So, there is many things we, as lectures, can't distinguish nor comprehend. But one thing is for sure: Betty had a story to tell, but she did a lot of exaggerations to sell more books.
Paralox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, thank you for explaining that.
Saman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly hate that movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mary_c

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saman wrote:
I truly hate that movie.

me too Sad
Saman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mary_c wrote:

But there is also a Finnish documentary called "without my daughter" where it shows the father desperately seeking his daughter, by telephone (he applied for US visa many times, but got rejected). Other people mentioned in the book also testify the real story and what had really happened. Clearly, Betty Mahmoudy exaggerated and lied in that book, to create more suspense. According to all testimonies, she enjoyed Iran, and her husband adored both Betty and her daughter extremely. Also, Mahtob (the daughter) is not talking to her mother anymore.
So, there is many things we, as lectures, can't distinguish nor comprehend. But one thing is for sure: Betty had a story to tell, but she did a lot of exaggerations to sell more books.

I saw that documentary too. It made me feel really sad. That poor man only wants to see his own daughter which he loves so much. Betty made a monster out of him and Iran by telling lies. Such a shameless person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Parvaneh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betty MAHMOUDI .....

Kept her former husband's name ! Shocked

Just for money !

What a shame on this woman who just wanted to make money in a discusting way !

Book full of lies !!!
Sourena

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

typical american.
Saman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourena wrote:
typical american.

And the Americans say 'typical Iranian'. Those kind of statements only our cause.
Azadeh_55

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article a few years that they got back together. So maybe the whole thing was a hoax to make money?

But Fathers kidnapping their kids and taking them to an Islamic country where the man has automatic custody is not unheard of. Remember those two sisters who took asylum in the Belgian embassy in Tehran? Their parents were divorced and had joined custody, but the father took them to Iran were he would get sole custody. In this case their mother is also Iranian but lives in Beligium. What ever happened to them? Can you imagine a 12 and a 6 year old girl taking a cab to the Belgian embassy in Tehran and wanting to be reunited with their mom?
Khorshid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an excellent movie.

Hoi Persai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think westerners like the movie because it confirms all their fears concerning Iran. I decided not to watch it after your comments.

I did, however, buy the Lonely Planet "Iran" tour guide book, as it has a bit of history for each region/city, and some pictures. I also got the one for Arabian Peninsula, which is brand new, and am looking for the Egypt one. I have friends in these countries.
mary_c

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoi Persai wrote:
I think westerners like the movie because it confirms all their fears concerning Iran. I decided not to watch it after your comments.

I did, however, buy the Lonely Planet "Iran" tour guide book, as it has a bit of history for each region/city, and some pictures. I also got the one for Arabian Peninsula, which is brand new, and am looking for the Egypt one. I have friends in these countries.

well, that is great.
But, may I ask, are you Iranian?
(because no Iranian -at least in this site- would request guide books for Arabic countries such as Egypt or Saudi Arabia)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> General Discussion & Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: