[FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great
Views expressed here are not necessarily the views & opinions of ActivistChat.com. Comments are unmoderated. Abusive remarks may be deleted. ActivistChat.com retains the rights to all content/IP info in in this forum and may re-post content elsewhere.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

European Firms Display Wares in Iran!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haleh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: European Firms Display Wares in Iran! Reply with quote

European Firms Display Wares in Iran

February 23, 2005
NBC News
Lisa Myers & the NBC investigative unit

View the video clip here.

Visit to air show documents companies with Pentagon contracts hoping to do business with America's adversary.

KISH, Iran - As President Bush pressures European allies to get tougher with Iran, NBC News got a rare glimpse inside the country — at an Iranian air show attended by some of the world's leading military contractors eager to do business with America's adversary.

On the island of Kish, mullahs mixed with Ukrainian generals amid photos of the Ayatollah Khomeini. Iran's contempt for the United States was clear — emblazoned underneath a helicopter, in Farsi: "Death to America."

It's generally illegal for American companies to do business with Iran. But NBC News found more than a dozen European defense and aviation firms eager to fill the void. Some do business with the Pentagon, yet they were actively selling their wares to Iran.

"We sell to Iran [sic] Air Force," said Francois Leloup from Aerazur, a French company that markets fighter pilot vests, anti-gravity suits and other protective gear for military pilots.

"We sell mainly to security people like police," said Arnaud Chevalier with Auxiliaire Technique, which was representing a group of companies at its exhibition booth. Some of the brochures on dispay showed tank helmets, communication systems for light armored vehicles and an "infantry headset." Chevalier said such equipment was "not for sale."

NBC News showed our video from the air show to arms expert John Pike, director of the nonprofit organization GlobalSecurity.org.

"I think that the Europeans would sell their grandmothers to the Iranians if they thought they could make a buck," says Pike.

Also exhibiting at the show — European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS) and its subsidiary Eurocopter — which has launched a campaign in the United States to get a bigger share of Pentagon contracts, featuring ads that wrap the company in the American flag.

But if the company is so pro-American, why is it ignoring U.S. policy to isolate Iran?

"As a European company, we're not supposed to take into account embargoes from the U.S.," says Michel Tripier, with EADS.

"The emphasis here is on our civil helicopters. We are not offering military helicopters here," he adds.

Yet, prominent on the company's video in Iran — a military helicopter.

"It says 'Navy' in their own promotional videotape," says John Pike. "I guess they're hoping Iran's navy is going to want to buy it."

EADS says the helicopter just happened to be on the video, and that it abides by U.S. and European rules against selling military goods to Iran.

Another company, Finmeccanica, recently won a contract to build a new version of the presidential helicopter, Marine One, as part of a group led by U.S. contractor Lockheed Martin.

It was also in Kish showing off its helicopters to Iran.

"This company is building the American president's new helicopter, and they're trying to trade with the enemy!" exclaims Pike.

Steven Bryen used to be the Pentagon official responsible for preventing technology from going to countries like Iran. Now he's the president of Finmeccanica in the United States. Does he think Iran is an enemy of the United States?

"I think they're our enemy at this point," says Bryen. "I mean, they're behaving like our enemy."

So why would Bryen's company trade with an enemy?

"In Europe, they don't call it the enemy," he says. "If it's a civilian item that doesn't threaten anyone, then I don't have a problem with that."

European subsidiaries of NBC's parent company, General Electric, have sold energy and power equipment to Iran, but GE recently announced it will make no new sales. (MSNBC is a Microsoft-NBC joint venture.)

Still, even with the president now pushing hard to isolate Tehran, European allies are likely to continue their role as what one company called, "a reliable partner for Iran."
stefania

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear,

Finmeccanica should be an Italian company ! Evil or Very Mad

I think that sanctions against this company are about to come.

"I'm ready to die for you to be able to say your own opinions, even if i strongly disagree with you" (Voltaire)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
falcon59

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: European Firms Display Wares in Iran Reply with quote

Hi all I have been away for sometime, pushing for Free Iran over at Mutters and The Final Phase. haleh do you have a web link for the NBC article? If so can you please post need urgently, please.
Khorshid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Falcon for your interest,

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7018071/

falcon59

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Iran Free Reply with quote

Khorshid; I have posted the info on The Final Phase and Mutters sites. I check here about once a week or so to get up dates.
haleh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the address of those sites? Mutters-what?
Liberty Now !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL, WELL, WELL!

THE OLD GRUMPY STUCK UP CAUSINS Arrow GOT BUSTED!

IT'S SURPRISING THAT AFTER THE GREEN BELT BACK STAB AT U.S., AMERICANS ARE STILL SURPRISED TO SEE THAT

THEIR OLD CAUSINS DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT AMERICA!

IN FACT IT WOULD SURPRISE ME IF THE EUROPEANS LIFTED A FINGER ONCE IN A BLUE MOON, TO HELP OUT THEIR "AMRICAN CAUSINS"!

I MEAN, DAAAAH!
WHY WOULDN'T THEY SELL WEAPONS TO THEIR OWN PUPPET FASCIST BASTERDS? IRI TERRORIST REGIME IS THEIR BABY!

THEY'VE CREATED IT, EMPOWERED IT, MANAGED TO LEGITIMIZE THEIR BASTERDS IN INTERNATIONAL SCENSE EVEN AFTER SOMETHING LIKE HOSTAGE TAKING DISASTER, AND ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE OF THEIR 26 YEAR OLD EVIL AFFAIR WITH THE AYATOLLAHS.

I BET THEIR HEARTS JUST MELTED AT EVERY 'DEATH TO AMERICA' SLOGAN SHOUTED IN IRAN.

IRAN. OF ALL PLACES.
THAT AMERICANIZED COUNTRY THE EUROPEANS ALWAYS HATED JUST AS MUCH AS AMERICA.

EUROPEANS GOT EVEN BIG TIME.
THEY GET THE OIL, THE CAVIAR, THE TRADES, AND CAN DROP BY IN TEHRAN FOR AN AFTERNOON TEA ANYTIME THEY SO PLEASE, PICK UP A 12 YEAR OLD VIRGIN, AN EXTRA SET OF 10 YR OLD KIDNEYS, ATTEND THEIR FASCIO-MASONIC RITUALS OF TORTURE IN EVIL PRISON, GOUGE AN EYE OR TWO, WATCH YOUNG ACTIVISTS BEING SKINNED ALIVE, AND ...RETURN TO THEIR PALACE BEFORE MIDNIGHT!

THESE ARE THE OLD EUROPEAN CAUSINS, AMERICANS WOULD GIVE THEIR LIVES FOR!

WHAT A HAPPY ONE SIDED, MALFUNCTIONAL FAMILY RELATION THAT IS!

SICKENING
Post new topic   Reply to topic    [FREE IRAN Project] In The Spirit Of Cyrus The Great Forum Index -> News Briefs & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: